The OW at Tournaments vs best/dominating wrestler!

rigger101

First let me say I'm not complaining about any young men form Hendersonville not getting it.

However in the past 6 years I can think of tournaments where the grapplers who dominated their weight and that everyone was talking about didn't get OW.

It went to the grappler who had the rep from the past years and just won each match by a few points.

I like the ideal of the OW from lighter weight and heavier weights.

Is there criteria that Refs use or is it just how they fill? It's a mystery to me and other parents.

Some of the experts and "so called" enlighten the rest of us.

I wish I had "expert" advise to give you.

I have voted many times for OW and Best Match, at all levels in our state. I cant remember a time where anyone (official) became an obvious "Homer" and wanted a kid to get on that basis.

A lot of times we are given the brackets and how each wrestler did in each weight class. Did he pin all the way through? Was he a lesser or non seeded and won it all? How touch a tournament was it for that weight class?

Some folks like to see the Best Match come out of the finals, but like anyone who follows wrestling knows, the Semis often provide some of the best wrestling of an entire tourney.

Last year, any tournament N Bundy was in, he was an obvious consideration. Felix is much the same just as most any Simpson you would like to name. I mention these by name out of respect for their talent.

Outstanding Wrestler (from its name) means someone did something to get your attention. Above and beyond expectations. Suddenly if anyone upsets a Bundy, Felix or Simpson, there ya go, an odds on favorite for the honor.

So if a number one seed gets upset by a two or three seed, is that more Outstanding than a kid, maybe a freshman, unseeded, unheralded take the top spot?

Certainly its not an exact science. Thats why we wrestle.

reftn

QUOTE(reftn @ Jan 14 2007 - 05:34 PM) 826331701[/snapback]

I wish I had "expert" advise to give you.

I have voted many times for OW and Best Match, at all levels in our state. I cant remember a time where anyone (official) became an obvious "Homer" and wanted a kid to get on that basis.

A lot of times we are given the brackets and how each wrestler did in each weight class. Did he pin all the way through? Was he a lesser or non seeded and won it all? How touch a tournament was it for that weight class?

Some folks like to see the Best Match come out of the finals, but like anyone who follows wrestling knows, the Semis often provide some of the best wrestling of an entire tourney.

Last year, any tournament N Bundy was in, he was an obvious consideration. Felix is much the same just as most any Simpson you would like to name. I mention these by name out of respect for their talent.

Outstanding Wrestler (from its name) means someone did something to get your attention. Above and beyond expectations. Suddenly if anyone upsets a Bundy, Felix or Simpson, there ya go, an odds on favorite for the honor.

So if a number one seed gets upset by a two or three seed, is that more Outstanding than a kid, maybe a freshman, unseeded, unheralded take the top spot?

Certainly its not an exact science. Thats why we wrestle.

reftn

Thanks

I was just talking to my older son and we were naming young men who dominated their weight class but never won OW at tourneys.

I guess kids that win on their physical talents are not viewed as OW.

I guess there is a lot of State Champs who never won a OW at a Tourney but proved they were the best at their weight.

QUOTE(bodock @ Jan 14 2007 - 06:45 PM) 826331823[/snapback]

classic case Nic Bundy's sophmore year....beat the # 1,2,3 seed and Nic wasnt ranked,however they gave the ow to quinn gibson from bradely who won it the year before and didnt even have a tuff bracket with only one returning medalist-so go figure!!!!!! Nic had to beat returning state champion DANNY COLEMAN , WHO HE HAD LOST TO PREVIOUS YR 19-2!! Some things in life are just not fair!!

That year Gibson dominated everyone and several of them were considered to be very good wrestlers.

QUOTE(bodock @ Jan 14 2007 - 06:27 PM) 826331868[/snapback]

point is he was expested to win, Bundy came from nowhere!!!! he also beat some great wrestlers!!! Gibson should of dominated-Bundy did the hardest road to a state championship!!

I'm sure he was a top consideration, just as Kenny Merideth was for 189 against some tougher competition like Weakley of Clarksville; while Danny Coleman gets through 112 and a finals match against freshman Ryan Konz 6-4.

It may have appeared somewhat biased or slanted if both Bunday and Merideth would have pinned or TF'ed in their finals match.

BTW - what is the ratio of refs Chatt vs the rest of the state? Common sense has to say we are all fans of the sport and have our opinons whether in stripes or not.

It's funny how the high schools follow the NCAA's when it comes to the selection process for Outstanding Wrestler. Thirty or forty years ago the award was given to a wrestler that had a low seed or was not seeded and won the tournament. Often times that wrestler would knock off a defending champion or undefeated wrestler to win the tournament. As wrestling has changed so has the selection for OW. It seems as though now you probably have 4 or 5 wrestlers pre selected as possible OW's before the tournament begins and the award will more than likely be given to one of those wrestlers. Those wrestlers have a reputation for being good and they will be given the benefit of the doubt when the votes are cast. It may not be fair and may not be said but that is how it happens 99% of the time. It's like any political election in that if the voters recognize your name you have a better chance to win.

QUOTE(cbg @ Jan 15 2007 - 12:44 PM) 826332420[/snapback]

It's funny how the high schools follow the NCAA's when it comes to the selection process for Outstanding Wrestler. Thirty or forty years ago the award was given to a wrestler that had a low seed or was not seeded and won the tournament. Often times that wrestler would knock off a defending champion or undefeated wrestler to win the tournament. As wrestling has changed so has the selection for OW. It seems as though now you probably have 4 or 5 wrestlers pre selected as possible OW's before the tournament begins and the award will more than likely be given to one of those wrestlers. Those wrestlers have a reputation for being good and they will be given the benefit of the doubt when the votes are cast. It may not be fair and may not be said but that is how it happens 99% of the time. It's like any political election in that if the voters recognize your name you have a better chance to win.

That's what I felt like has been happening over the last 6 years.

QUOTE(rigger101 @ Jan 15 2007 - 05:12 PM) 826332825[/snapback]

That's what I felt like has been happening over the last 6 years.

I think that OW may not always be selected fairly but when there are that many wrestlers at one tournament how are they suppose to choose just one or two of the best. I'm sure every great wrestlers coach and parents think that their son should recieve the OW at every tournament but lifes not fair soo we all just have to live with it.