Maryville Football to appear in Martin, TN

Gerry Bertier

Just got back a few days ago and the buzz around town is that Coach Simpson has brought in a new QB via the Ole Ball Coach in South Carolina. That's right Cade Thompson is headed to Martin to become a Skyhawk. I saw him play in high school and I think with Cade at the helm Martin will become even a bigger threat in the OVC and come playoff time.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gerry Bertier @ Jan 14 2007 - 10:47 PM) 826332135[/snapback]

Just got back a few days ago and the buzz around town is that Coach Simpson has brought in a new QB via the Ole Ball Coach in South Carolina. That's right Cade Thompson is headed to Martin to become a Skyhawk. I saw him play in high school and I think with Cade at the helm Martin will become even a bigger threat in the OVC and come playoff time.

If this is indeed true, how much eligibility does he have remaining to play? Will he have to set out a year? Let's hear it from the Maryville faithful. Keep us informed.

QUOTE(Itoldyouso @ Jan 15 2007 - 11:30 AM) 826332472[/snapback]

If this is indeed true, how much eligibility does he have remaining to play? Will he have to set out a year? Let's hear it from the Maryville faithful. Keep us informed.

Well I know he wouldn't have to sit out a year and would be eligible to play next fall for the Skyhawks. He would have 3 years of eligibility remaining and I hope he comes up here ready to compete for the starting QB job cause next year the Skyhawks have a great chance at contending for the National Championship. Anyone in Maryville have anymore info?

QUOTE(Gerry Bertier @ Jan 15 2007 - 02:40 PM) 826332642[/snapback]

Well I know he wouldn't have to sit out a year and would be eligible to play next fall for the Skyhawks. He would have 3 years of eligibility remaining and I hope he comes up here ready to compete for the starting QB job cause next year the Skyhawks have a great chance at contending for the National Championship. Anyone in Maryville have anymore info?

Yep...it's true... Cade has transferred to Martin. In the Sping of 06 Cade moved to #2 behind Mitchell at USC after an outstanding Spring. Returning in the Summer Cade struggled with accuracy and dropped to #4 behind Smelley. Cade's biggest issue are size. He is 6'2" or 3" but had and contunues to have issues putting on enough weight to play in the SEC. The last time I saw him I doubt he was much over 185. Regardless Cade is a heck of a QB coming from the George Quarlels system and with a two years at USC under Spurrier. His accuracy issues were a surprise because Cade has always been very accurate. Anyway it will be interesting how well he does at Martin. He is a competitor with very good skills. Keep us updated GB....

QUOTE(Gerry Bertier @ Jan 15 2007 - 01:40 PM) 826332642[/snapback]

Who was their starting QB this season and what year was he. Also, did Cade redshirt at USC? I know it was at least 2004 when he lead the Rebels to a state championship. He is a great athelete and Martin is lucky to get him. I am assuming that he has enrolled for this semester, so can take part in spring practice. Is Martin looking at any 07 kids at quarterback? I believe with this addition, I would concentrate on other areas.

Doesn't this make two Maryville QBs that left big programs because they didn't get playing time? I can't for the life of me remember who the other one was, but I think Thompson is the 2nd. Why leave USC and go to Martin, surely Chatt or someone closer would have given the kid a chance.

QUOTE(LSMFT @ Jan 15 2007 - 05:28 PM) 826332835[/snapback]

Doesn't this make two Maryville QBs that left big programs because they didn't get playing time? I can't for the life of me remember who the other one was, but I think Thompson is the 2nd. Why leave USC and go to Martin, surely Chatt or someone closer would have given the kid a chance.

Not sure why Martin....my guess is the offense is to his liking and the opportunity to play immediately.

The other QB was Toki McCray. He signed with NC State in 1998 and later transferred to Western Kentucky I believe. Toki had some injuries but the biggiest reason for transferring was after red shirting his freshman year NC State signed a QB named Phillip Rivers.

To a previous question Cade did redshirt his freshman year. He has three years to play three remaining.

QUOTE(MLREB @ Jan 15 2007 - 06:29 PM) 826332899[/snapback]

Not sure why Martin....my guess is the offense is to his liking and the opportunity to play immediately.

The other QB was Toki McCray. He signed with NC State in 1998 and later transferred to Western Kentucky I believe. Toki had some injuries but the biggiest reason for transferring was after red shirting his freshman year NC State signed a QB named Phillip Rivers.

To a previous question Cade did redshirt his freshman year. He has three years to play three remaining.

McCray transferred to Eastern Kentucky from NC State.

Why not Martin?

The Skyhawks are coming off their first OVC Championship in school history and return many starters on both sides of the ball for next year. UT-Chatt. program is nowhere near where the Skyhawks are headed right now. Last year we ran a two QB system between two freshman. By the end of the year Greg Preston was our starting QB. He was limited in the run game and neither QB was trusted with passing more than 10-15 times a game. Martin has the best back in the OVC returning and if Cade can come in and compete for the starting job, he could be the starting QB. He will have to come in a work and prove why he should be #1 nothing will be handed to him.

QUOTE(Gerry Bertier @ Jan 15 2007 - 02:40 PM) 826332642[/snapback]

Well I'm glad to hear that cade is coming to tennessee martin they had a good year this year. Now as for a National Championship they are going to have to work hard because (my favorite college team) Appalachian State is returing all but 2 or 3 players on offense and most of the defense too. That would be a good matchup Appalachian State vs. Tennessee Martin.

As much as I love Cade he is a product of a George Quarrels system and was surrounded by kids who made him look very good at times. Never thought he would be able to play in the SEC. I thought he would really have to work to be D1 in the first place and that NC was a good fit. Still Spurrer knows just a little more than I do, I’m sure. But I was right after all and he was wrong on this young man. Cade is a great fit for Martin or maybe another smaller school. Always thought that. He is an average passer in my opinion, very good in HS but the college game even at D2 is very fast. Seems that these days if you’re going to be a drop back guy you gotta have laser sharp aim and an 80 yard cannon!

A real story is what Alex Rouse has been able to do at CN under Coach Sparks. He was quite skinny and had injury issues leaving Maryville, after a pre season, after the whistle Cheap Shot destroyed his chances to be the main QB in front of Cade who then got to start as a Soph. Having a dad as a coach never hurts ether.

Cade should do well at Martin and he made a good move in my opinion.

IMO being coached by the George Quarrels system at Maryville gives many kids a leg up at the next level.