This Thread Will Soon Be Closed

hiway58

So, the Ooltewah Coach story is the headline on Coach T. The linked story even has very graphic details about what was said. But no one can comment on it. Every thread has been closed.

Here's an idea for the moderators. Rather than closing entire discussion threads, how about deleting the offending posts? There are some relevant issues here for high school athletes, coaches and fans. I thought that's what a high school sports forum should be all about. As was said earlier, otherwise we can talk about the weather.

Just because an idiot or two has to pollute the conversation with their ignorance doesn't mean everyone should be shut out of the discussion.

In the meantime, skies are clear, the temperature in Hamilton County is a chilly 42 degrees....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hiway58 @ Jan 22 2007 - 06:20 PM) 826341509[/snapback]

So, the Ooltewah Coach story is the headline on Coach T. The linked story even has very graphic details about what was said. But no one can comment on it. Every thread has been closed.

Here's an idea for the moderators. Rather than closing entire discussion threads, how about deleting the offending posts? There are some relevant issues here for high school athletes, coaches and fans. I thought that's what a high school sports forum should be all about. As was said earlier, otherwise we can talk about the weather.

Just because an idiot or two has to pollute the conversation with their ignorance doesn't mean everyone should be shut out of the discussion.

In the meantime, skies are clear, the temperature in Hamilton County is a chilly 42 degrees....

These post can be shut down everytime one is open but that still will not change the fact that Baker is gone and that he should have known better. No one has ever said it was right for the word to be used by anyone but you cannot control peoples general conversations with each other. The problem comes when an adult who is a leader and should be a role model uses the word to descirbe the behavior of another team or group of players that were not acceptable to him. You cannot compare apples to oranges and maybe he felt comfortable using the word because he has used it before but this time he just used it in the wrong place and in the presence of the wrong people. I admire the young man who took a stand not to tolerate the usage of the word from someone that he was supposed to be looking up to.

When you have 10 posts in a thread and have to take out half, the rest make no sense. No, I didn't close the other one, but it needed it. As for free speech, this is a privately-owned website, and whatever the owner wants goes. I'm not sure if anything more could be added to this besides "yes he deserved to go" or "no he didn't deserve to go", anything else would go into a racial debate, or at least a debate on what words should be allowed and that doesn't have much to do with high school sports.

QUOTE(Indian @ Jan 22 2007 - 11:16 PM) 826341838[/snapback]

When you have 10 posts in a thread and have to take out half, the rest make no sense. No, I didn't close the other one, but it needed it. As for free speech, this is a privately-owned website, and whatever the owner wants goes. I'm not sure if anything more could be added to this besides "yes he deserved to go" or "no he didn't deserve to go", anything else would go into a racial debate, or at least a debate on what words should be allowed and that doesn't have much to do with high school sports.

I understand the privately owned website and all, but I do not understand how this could not go into a racial debate. And I can not understand why someone would close a thread for this type of debate. It seems like people these days just want to ignore that racial prejudice still happens. What the coach did was deplorable. If I, an African American coach, would address the players and say for the white ones to not act like (a racial slur), everyone would want my job and my head. One of the replied earlier said that we can not control people's conversation and the coach should have known better to say it there. Actually the coach should have not said it at all. Under pressure, the mouth will tell what your heart really feels. I have been mad in many situations at many different races. A racial slur does not come to mind when I am angry. I look at people as just that.... people. It does not matter what the color, idiots and disrespectful people in all colors. When prejudice people realize that fact, maybe we can then move forward. My great-grandfather said something to me when I was a young boy that was so profound that I still remember to this day. He said that "uneducated people curse or make racial comments because they do not know the educated words they want to say." In this instance, you can also have an educated man that thinks uneducated thoughts. I hope this thread does not get shut down, but rather discussed so this might not happen again. Sports is supposed to bridge gaps, not widen them. When players are on the court or field, there are no colors out there, only one team trying to achieve the same goal. Many friends are made from these games that will last a lifetime. GOD BLESS!!!!!

That was the post of the year, Stokomo. I'm glad you got it in before this thread was closed, which inevitably it will.

Coach Baker told the news yesterday, "I went into the locker room after the game (losing to Red Bank 61-47) and was going to tell my kids I was proud of how hard they played and how I would rather coach them than Red Bank. I'm glad you played with class and not like n_____s."

Just goes to show you can coach for 30-plus years, win more than 500 games and still not have good common sense. I admire Ooltewah principal Ed Foster for his quick, decisive, correct action in dismissing this guy. Hopefully the county superintendent will follow suit and remove him from his teaching job (PE) as well. We need more GOOD role models in our schools, not people like this.

Well said Stokomo. I do think that these types of things need to be discussed so that we all understand that it will not be tolerated. I am the one that said we cannot control conversations and let me explain what I meant. When are played these kids use the word, the only thing we can do is correct them and let them know that it is not appropriate but when a person says it in such a place where Baker used the word, we can do something about it. Your grandfather was right, uneducated people use uneducated words because they don't know what else to say. We do more GOOD role models, especially in schools for all of our children.

QUOTE(hiway58 @ Jan 23 2007 - 07:33 AM) 826342011[/snapback]

That was the post of the year, Stokomo. I'm glad you got it in before this thread was closed, which inevitably it will.

Coach Baker told the news yesterday, "I went into the locker room after the game (losing to Red Bank 61-47) and was going to tell my kids I was proud of how hard they played and how I would rather coach them than Red Bank. I'm glad you played with class and not like n_____s."

Just goes to show you can coach for 30-plus years, win more than 500 games and still not have good common sense. I admire Ooltewah principal Ed Foster for his quick, decisive, correct action in dismissing this guy. Hopefully the county superintendent will follow suit and remove him from his teaching job (PE) as well. We need more GOOD role models in our schools, not people like this.

I hate that this whole situation happened. What is also very disturbing is how you just keep bringing it up. It is like you have nothing better to do than attack him. He made a mistake and now is being punished, so please let it go.

In our profession this is unacceptable. I commend Mr. Foster on his actions. Kids at this age are influenced very easily. I am proud of the fact that I coach and teach and do what I can to be a role model. Am I always a good role model? No but I hold the kids best interests at heart. The Coach allowed his emotions to get the best of him. That is not good. We should not judge his total character off of this but what he did was wrong and the school did the right thing by replacing him.