This Thread Will Soon Be Closed

hiway58

ok... I want to say "enough already" but alot of you will say the same ol thing, "no u cant sweep this under the rug", "have to learn from mistakes", yada yada yada.

Look, while Coach Baker may not have admitted he is wrong, he did admit that he said it. I'm sure he knows that he should NOT have said what he did. i have no idea what be believes but i am positive he knows that he shouldn't have said that, especially in that situation. I am not saying i condone what he did...i think it is awful, but... He has been punished, and publicly ridiculed.

Eventually, this is all going to stop and die down, just when are you going to let it. Its not like he hit a kid or anything like that. He did something wrong and he paid the price. GET OVER IT

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. Well at this point we can all speculate why he said it, or who he meant it to be directed towards when he said it all day long. But bottom line, it's unfortunate for him and for the players that this situation happened at all. But as in all other things that happen in history, we just have to learn from them and move on and use it to make our society better. Hopefully other coaches and just people in general will take this as a wake up call and do a little searching inside themselves so that when they get angry they don't make a similar mistake. This mistake does not necessarily reflect his character but it's what it is. Good luck to his former team the rest of the season and hopefully this won't be a distraction to them but something they can put behind them. Because when it all comes down to it, it really is all about the kids. Good luck Ooltewah!

Coach Baker told the news yesterday, "I went into the locker room after the game (losing to Red Bank 61-47) and was going to tell my kids I was proud of how hard they played and how I would rather coach them than Red Bank. I'm glad you played with class and not like n_____s."

The way he described his words doesnt sound to me like he said it out of anger....sounds to me like this word may have been something he said more times than when he was just angry.

Anyway...I agree that what he said was uncalled for, but I also agree that every person on this bored has messed up and said something that they now regret saying. Maybe we should show some compassion to the guy. We all know he was wrong, and Im sure he knows he was wrong, I'm sure he feels like enough of a jacka*s without us reminding him lol....

QUOTE(utvols1 @ Jan 24 2007 - 11:23 AM) 826343999[/snapback]

Coach Baker told the news yesterday, "I went into the locker room after the game (losing to Red Bank 61-47) and was going to tell my kids I was proud of how hard they played and how I would rather coach them than Red Bank. I'm glad you played with class and not like n_____s."

The way he described his words doesnt sound to me like he said it out of anger....sounds to me like this word may have been something he said more times than when he was just angry.

Anyway...I agree that what he said was uncalled for, but I also agree that every person on this bored has messed up and said something that they now regret saying. Maybe we should show some compassion to the guy. We all know he was wrong, and Im sure he knows he was wrong, I'm sure he feels like enough of a jacka*s without us reminding him lol....

you know we are acting like this will be condemed by everyone but lets face it in mr. baker's part of the country most people will just agree with what he said and will back him as being right. just the way it is.

QUOTE(Stokomo @ Jan 23 2007 - 12:17 AM) 826341966[/snapback]

I understand the privately owned website and all, but I do not understand how this could not go into a racial debate. And I can not understand why someone would close a thread for this type of debate. It seems like people these days just want to ignore that racial prejudice still happens. What the coach did was deplorable. If I, an African American coach, would address the players and say for the white ones to not act like (a racial slur), everyone would want my job and my head. One of the replied earlier said that we can not control people's conversation and the coach should have known better to say it there. Actually the coach should have not said it at all. Under pressure, the mouth will tell what your heart really feels. I have been mad in many situations at many different races. A racial slur does not come to mind when I am angry. I look at people as just that.... people. It does not matter what the color, idiots and disrespectful people in all colors. When prejudice people realize that fact, maybe we can then move forward. My great-grandfather said something to me when I was a young boy that was so profound that I still remember to this day. He said that "uneducated people curse or make racial comments because they do not know the educated words they want to say." In this instance, you can also have an educated man that thinks uneducated thoughts. I hope this thread does not get shut down, but rather discussed so this might not happen again. Sports is supposed to bridge gaps, not widen them. When players are on the court or field, there are no colors out there, only one team trying to achieve the same goal. Many friends are made from these games that will last a lifetime. GOD BLESS!!!!!

Somebody beat me to it but that post says it all.

"Anyway...I agree that what he said was uncalled for, but I also agree that every person on this bored has messed up and said something that they now regret saying."

Probably true. But he's a teacher. And a coach. And whether you like it or not, they have to be held to a higher standard. They influence young people every day. And they choose to be in this profession.

If you can't handle the job properly, then go be a plumber. You can call the leaky pipes anything you want to.

QUOTE(broadbat @ Jan 24 2007 - 09:43 PM) 826344679[/snapback]

"Anyway...I agree that what he said was uncalled for, but I also agree that every person on this bored has messed up and said something that they now regret saying."

Probably true. But he's a teacher. And a coach. And whether you like it or not, they have to be held to a higher standard. They influence young people every day. And they choose to be in this profession.

If you can't handle the job properly, then go be a plumber. You can call the leaky pipes anything you want to.

Very well stated.

QUOTE(Alumn89 @ Jan 24 2007 - 10:26 AM) 826343792[/snapback]

ok... I want to say "enough already" but alot of you will say the same ol thing, "no u cant sweep this under the rug", "have to learn from mistakes", yada yada yada.

Look, while Coach Baker may not have admitted he is wrong, he did admit that he said it. I'm sure he knows that he should NOT have said what he did. i have no idea what be believes but i am positive he knows that he shouldn't have said that, especially in that situation. I am not saying i condone what he did...i think it is awful, but... He has been punished, and publicly ridiculed.

Eventually, this is all going to stop and die down, just when are you going to let it. Its not like he hit a kid or anything like that. He did something wrong and he paid the price. GET OVER IT

You don't seem to get the very core of this debate. Words can sometimes hurt worse than physical pain. I know everyone would love for this to go away or even not have happened at all. I know I wish this was not happening. But..... you can not let go or ignore this when it happens. It will give a signal for others to conduct their affairs in this same manner. You say that he did not actually say he was sorry but you are positive that he knows..... yada yada yada......

Well.... hypothetically speaking, what if you have a daughter and her boyfriend told her that he hopes she does not start acting like a name that is not becoming of a young female, the "B" or "S" word? One: how would you feel towards that person, and two: if that person did not apologize out of his mouth, would you really think that they were sorry for what they said, even though they never said it? Nah... you'd just GET OVER IT... right?

GOD BLESS!!!!!!!