This Thread Will Soon Be Closed

hiway58

QUOTE(hiway58 @ Jan 23 2007 - 07:33 AM) 826342011[/snapback]

That was the post of the year, Stokomo. I'm glad you got it in before this thread was closed, which inevitably it will.

Coach Baker told the news yesterday, "I went into the locker room after the game (losing to Red Bank 61-47) and was going to tell my kids I was proud of how hard they played and how I would rather coach them than Red Bank. I'm glad you played with class and not like n_____s."

Just goes to show you can coach for 30-plus years, win more than 500 games and still not have good common sense. I admire Ooltewah principal Ed Foster for his quick, decisive, correct action in dismissing this guy. Hopefully the county superintendent will follow suit and remove him from his teaching job (PE) as well. We need more GOOD role models in our schools, not people like this.

In the Bible people who commited adultery would get stoned, a women confessed to Jesus of her sins she had commited and he took her to a crowd and told her to confess but she was scared and he told her it would be okay, so she confessed and before they threw stones Jesus said let the first man throw a stone who has not sinned!!!

All of you guys should read this its not word for word!! Take a look my freinds you might think twice b4 you start bashing Coach Baker!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is NO place for this in 2007, around kids, in sports, anywhere. "Discrimination anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere." -Malcolm X We must identify these travesties and make sure they don't happen again. Stokomo's post is one of the best, if not THE best, I have ever read on this site. Pressure does show what's in the heart. This cannot be tolerated and the administration is to be commended for its action in a shameful situation.

QUOTE(McNine4MVP @ Jan 23 2007 - 12:01 PM) 826342415[/snapback]

No,

This thread should never be dropped. It's too easy to sweep something like this under the rug. This thread is a synopsis of how far we've come as a people, but this Coach's comments illustrate how much further we have to go!!

Amen,

"If we do not learn from history we are bound to repeat it."

QUOTE(SLEDGEHAMMER2 @ Jan 23 2007 - 12:43 PM) 826342378[/snapback]

Galatians 6:7 "for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."

There have been some very good comments and I agree that Galatians 6:7 is so true. But here are a couple of quotes to add to that:

"You're either part of the solution of part of the problem." ((Leroy Cleaver)

"There will always be men struggling to change, and there will always be those who are controlled by the past." (Ernest J. Gaines - interview with John O'Brien in Africian American Writers.

We all must be accountable for what we say and do.

Sorry I don't have any good bible verses or quotations to use here, but I will say this.

As a coach, if anyone catches me using racial epithets or any other slurs about a person's religion, race, or family...you have full permission to report me, and my administrators have every right to fire me.

I'll give Mr. Baker credit for admitting he used the racial slur. But the sad part is, he doesn't think there was anything wrong with it. Coaches and teachers are human, and we do some dumb things, but I truly thought we had gotten past this. He's clueless.

This guy should be removed from his teaching position as well. It looks like he could use some re-training, and maybe he can work his way back up in some job where he can't be a bad influence around young people.

QUOTE(volman09 @ Jan 23 2007 - 12:20 PM) 826342343[/snapback]

In the Bible people who commited adultery would get stoned, a women confessed to Jesus of her sins she had commited and he took her to a crowd and told her to confess but she was scared and he told her it would be okay, so she confessed and before they threw stones Jesus said let the first man throw a stone who has not sinned!!!

All of you guys should read this its not word for word!! Take a look my freinds you might think twice b4 you start bashing Coach Baker!

The difference is she admitted she was wrong. Coach Kramer..er Baker hasn't done so to my knowledge. And let's not start with the whole poor coach Baker he's suffered enough thing. I'm assuming he's an educated man and should know better. Even if he thinks it's okay for him to use because he was using it against opposing players and thought his players would be okay with that or whatever. He's a grown man and will have to deal with the consquences of his actions, a few people discussing it isn't going to keep him "suffering". Like someone else said there's no reason for this, it's 2007! You get all the flack you deserve. This doesn't just come out of nowhere. This word doesn't come out of me when things don't go my way. And he says he used it to describe some behavior, their actions or whatever, I wonder if he uses the same word when some predominately white team beats his team that bad. Yeah, I don't think so.

QUOTE(McNine4MVP @ Jan 23 2007 - 12:01 PM) 826342415[/snapback]

No,

This thread should never be dropped. It's too easy to sweep something like this under the rug. This thread is a synopsis of how far we've come as a people, but this Coach's comments illustrate how much further we have to go!!

It's hard to believe that anybody in authority would use this type of language. It's true that these things seem to open old wounds, but I am thankful we are able to discuss this, so we are aware these things are still going on. If ignorance is bliss, being informed must bring concern to what happened.

There is no excuse for racial discrimination. Just because my father or grandfather talked that way, does mean I should be excused to talk that way too. Discrimination hurts everybody. I hope some good comes from this. This man is probably the tip of the iceberg and hopefully others will learn from his mistake.