Region 4-5A

QUOTE(2priceless @ Feb 5 2007 - 08:33 PM) 826359770[/snapback]

Ebal made some bad decisions on the field . Odd how once he went down in the Smyrna game, we came back with that "bad" team and took Smyrna to the wire. Then this same "bad" team w/o Ebal almost upset the #1 team in the state at Lincoln County with our soph QB. No, Ebal had his mind on somethinga nd it wasn't football. I always thought Marty should have pulled him and let Daryl start. But Marty was too fond of the kid and kept giving him chance after chance. Did you ever think that maybe Ebal got pounded b/c the line thought he needed to be for the article in the DNJ where he went on and on on game day about how GREAT Rankin was?

Sounds like some serious internal problems that could explain the struggles Oakland has been through the last few years... You're suggesting that the line laid down and let the QB take a beating? I hope there's nobody still around from that coaching staff!

Everything I've seem of Ebal II has been really promising...he seems to have a great attitude and is really getting close physically. It was amusing watching him play linebacker in the spring and early fall though...he's come a long, long way since then.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is way to early to be predicting but I think

1.Smyrna(The Riverdale game should be the highlight game of the season)

2.Riverdale

3.Lebanon

4.Toss up between Oakland siegel should be a great game.

5.Either Oakland or siegel

6.La Vergne (that many coaching changes and players lost cant be good)

7.Blackman (wait a year or two they will be close to the top but not yet)

8.Wilson Central(Don't have that much info on)

I am not saying that the line laid down, but IF you had ever played the O line TDC, sometimes a QB needs to learn to appreciate what they do for you. I have seen more than one line that was screamed at by the QB for not blocking and paid the price the next play. I know I did NOT li I am NOT saying Oakland's line did that and I KNOW no coach would tell their line to do that. It is a Player thing and you are kidding yourself if you don't believe it can happen.

l Know that I did not care for how he carried on and on about Rankin in the paper . Afyter the game is ONE thing, but game day......no way. I mean he practically said he didn't mind losing to Rankin. WHat are folk supposed to think? I will tell you.....folk in the stands seriously thought he pulled a Paul Crewe on Oakland and threw the game so Rankin would win it.

I am glad Lil Ebal is doing well. I have nothing against him and his parents are really nice folk. I wish him the best.

QUOTE(82cat @ Feb 5 2007 - 02:28 PM) 826359391[/snapback]

really???

Once again for a few Lavergne facts

lavergne beat exactly one team with a winning record and won one play off game

during thomas tenure. Both of those occured when Lavergne beat Cookeville last yr in the playoffs.Go back and look your self, I was shocked to find that.

So ----------------------------- I hope Hester picks right up there and keeps it going!

In truth I hear he is a really good coach and very smart so we will see?

Once again Riverdale will be the region favorite as they should since they still have never lost a region chamionship, until somebody wins the region they are still the team to beat. Plus if you read all the post they work hard during the off season!

My pre pre season picks for 2007

riverdale - offensive line is top notch

blackman - they have to break out at some point

smyrna - pretty decent qb

lebanon -- always tough

siegel- if they don't make a bid for playoffs a new coach is a must

lavergne - over rated in 2006 and lost to much, folks are catching up with their offense and thet turn the ball over to much

oakland - to basic on offense, has some weapons but not sure if they know how to use them?? need a qb

wc - not a lot of talent and struggling with who they are on offense

just my early opinion ( although I did pick the top 4 in 2006 including lebanon)

All I know is that the 2008 class is probably one of the best LaVergne has ever had. As of right now, LaVergne has a lot of talent coming back. In my opinion, they have the most talent coming back besides Smyrna. Riverdale's talent is deeper than LaVergne's but I still think LaVergne has more talent. LaVergne needs to develope a 2nd string though. We really need support from da underclassmen because that played a big part in going to the playoffs 2 years in a row. We had 9 starters my sophomore year. 0 last year. I felt LaVergne quit in maybe the beginning of the 3rd quarter of the playoff game against Smyrna and I don't want to be part of that kind of team with that kind of attitude. LaVergne needs a QB. LaVergne needs 4 O-Linemen. But most of all, LaVergne needs heart. If you only knew how jealous I was watching Smyrna in the playoffs.

QUOTE(jmu031 @ Feb 5 2007 - 06:40 PM) 826359539[/snapback]

How can the defending state champs not be the team to beat? That makes zero sense in every way, shape, form, and whatever else.

I don't understand how a regular season 1st place team can overrule a state champ.

Also, 'Dale doesn't even have a qb (which is only the most important position in the sport).

smyrna has beat riverdale once

lavergne has beat smyrna once

until you do it consistently In my opinion you have to put them 1st

smyrnas chamionship means absolutely nothing for this season and getting the players to understand that is very important. Smyrna also lost 2 outstanding tailbacks. If we can get production at that position then I will definetly put thme 1st

smyrna I believe will be better this yr than last but----- that doesn't even guarantee we will get back to m,boro because it takes not only working hard and being good but having a few breaks along the way.

by the beginning of the season I may change my predictions but as of now

riverdale is the team to beat. They also work hard in the weight room while everyone else sits around eating pie

hssportsfootball - sounds like lavergne will be loaded again to make a run at the pre season scrimmage chamionship!

(just kidding I promised I would lay off lavergne after they changed their sign to support smyrna so that is my last jab)

QUOTE(2priceless @ Feb 5 2007 - 08:33 PM) 826359770[/snapback]

Ebal made some bad decisions on the field . Odd how once he went down in the Smyrna game, we came back with that "bad" team and took Smyrna to the wire. Then this same "bad" team w/o Ebal almost upset the #1 team in the state at Lincoln County with our soph QB. No, Ebal had his mind on somethinga nd it wasn't football. I always thought Marty should have pulled him and let Daryl start. But Marty was too fond of the kid and kept giving him chance after chance. Did you ever think that maybe Ebal got pounded b/c the line thought he needed to be for the article in the DNJ where he went on and on on game day about how GREAT Rankin was?

Are you talking about 7-0 game in 2003. I played in that game. I thought we were screwed over by the officials.

As it is every year '07 will be exciting. I think the region should be very interesting with everyone, but Wilson Central still playing for playoff bids heading into week 10. Here's my prediction at this point of the off season. I do think 1-3 are very tight and 4-7 are even closer.

1. Lebanon- I know everyone will probably quit reading my predictions after this, but this team played very tough last year against the big dogs and return most all of their key players.

2. Smyrna- In my opinion they have the strongest senior class in the region, but also one of the weakest junior classes. I think it will cost them back to back titles.

3. Riverdale- I have a hard time believing that I am actually putting them in third, but I just think that's how it will fall. Every time they get counted out they respond so I'm sure they'll probably win another region title.

4. Lavergne- They get the nod here because they have been in the playoffs the last couple of years and know how to win on the varsity level.

5. Oakland- Linemen will have to play up to potential and I think Bass may emerge as one of the two or three best players in the region.

6. Siegel- Their Junior class is good enough to carry them to the playoffs.

7. Blackman- Wallace and the talented sohps will have a say in how the playoff race shakes out.

8. Wilson Central- Just don't think they have enough all around depth to compete week in week out.

QUOTE(2priceless @ Feb 5 2007 - 09:34 PM) 826359831[/snapback]

I am not saying that the line laid down, but IF you had ever played the O line TDC, sometimes a QB needs to learn to appreciate what they do for you. I have seen more than one line that was screamed at by the QB for not blocking and paid the price the next play. I know I did NOT li I am NOT saying Oakland's line did that and I KNOW no coach would tell their line to do that. It is a Player thing and you are kidding yourself if you don't believe it can happen.

l Know that I did not care for how he carried on and on about Rankin in the paper . Afyter the game is ONE thing, but game day......no way. I mean he practically said he didn't mind losing to Rankin. WHat are folk supposed to think? I will tell you.....folk in the stands seriously thought he pulled a Paul Crewe on Oakland and threw the game so Rankin would win it.

Did you order the Code Red?

Bringing over my prediction from the other thread. Everyrthing is the same except, upon further review, WC may be a little better than expected.

1. Riverdale 109 Points

2. Smyrna 107 Points

3. Blackman 101 Points

4. Lavergne 98 Points

5. Lebanon 95 Points

6. Siegel 94 Points

7. Oakland 73 Points

8. Wilson Central 71 Points

Look for Riverdale and Smyrna to battle for the top spot and for Blackman/Lavergne/Lebanon/Siegel to have an absolute war for the last two spots. Expect the Week zero game between Blackman and Lavergne to have a major impact on the race.

The Dead-o-Winter forecast rewards teams that have large returning rosters and lots of returning seniors. Oakland and WC have neither and will need to rely heavily on their junior classes if they want to make a run.

The Dead-o-Winter forecast is based on the 2006 rosters and is calculated as follows:

# Returning Players -- one point per player with a max points 44

#Returning Seniors -- one point per player with a max points 26

# Players receiving post season recognition -- This is all-region, all-state, all-area, or being listed as a statistical leader in the final regular season DNJ stats. One point for each player.

# Players receiving preseason recognition --- did not receive post-season recognition but still on roster and recognized in the Murphy Fair magazine. One-half point per player.

Weight > 250 -- one-half point per player

Weight > 190 -- one-third point per player

Speed -- My assessment of returning team speed (range was 5-7 points)

Intangibles -- my assessment of coaching situation, tradition, enthusiasm around the program, etc... (range was 5-8 points)

2006 Playoff -- One point for each round that a team reached in the playoffs. For instance, Smyrna received 5 points and Lavergne received two.

All of the usual disclaimers apply and I reserve the right to change my predictions at any time.

QUOTE(mynameis @ Feb 6 2007 - 11:50 PM) 826361541[/snapback]

As it is every year '07 will be exciting. I think the region should be very interesting with everyone, but Wilson Central still playing for playoff bids heading into week 10. Here's my prediction at this point of the off season. I do think 1-3 are very tight and 4-7 are even closer.

1. Lebanon- I know everyone will probably quit reading my predictions after this, but this team played very tough last year against the big dogs and return most all of their key players.

2. Smyrna- In my opinion they have the strongest senior class in the region, but also one of the weakest junior classes. I think it will cost them back to back titles.

3. Riverdale- I have a hard time believing that I am actually putting them in third, but I just think that's how it will fall. Every time they get counted out they respond so I'm sure they'll probably win another region title.

4. Lavergne- They get the nod here because they have been in the playoffs the last couple of years and know how to win on the varsity level.

5. Oakland- Linemen will have to play up to potential and I think Bass may emerge as one of the two or three best players in the region.

6. Siegel- Their Junior class is good enough to carry them to the playoffs.

7. Blackman- Wallace and the talented sohps will have a say in how the playoff race shakes out.

8. Wilson Central- Just don't think they have enough all around depth to compete week in week out.

I really thought my Cats would do better last year and we did pretty bad, BUT we will not be this bad. Two of the better skill players in the region return (McChurch-QB and Majors-RB). We also have our offensive coaches back from Cumberland; so maybe we can surprise a bit.

I was way off base last year and I will not get overly optimistic, but I really do not see us at the bottom; in fact, we might even sneak into the playoffs. The players are working hard!

I pull for the Cats

samintheglade