State Duals Attendance

BayouBear

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BayouBear @ Feb 5 2007 - 05:09 PM) 826359524[/snapback]

75% of the people there were from Chattanooga. The snow didn't slow them down.

The way you put this is that Chattanooga has some seriously loyal fans. To them snow is not an issue and neither is distance.To them if Baylor and Soddy were wrestling for the state championship in Alaska then they would still show up. If this is true than there is no reason that the tournament should not be moved. If it was in Nashville those same Chattanooga fans would still be there with the addition of all those in the middle of the state and the rest of Tennessee.

Plus there is always a need for a bigger gym.

I think if they could get the gym at MTSU to host the state duals it would be great for the whole state. The Murphy Ctr is a nice facility and host the basketball tournament already so why not the duals. The traditional needs to stay at UTC and in Chattanooga. I go at least 2 days worth of the state while I am not able to do the same with going to Clarksville. Even though I have relatives there. The traditional at UTC is a great venue and has grown the years that it has been there. I hate the fact it is being done on Wed, Thursday, and Friday this year but it happens and I will be there at least one of the days. Sorry but I agree with the fact that alot of if not most of those at the state duals this weekend were from Chattanooga. Sorry but although closer to Middle TN even when I wrestled in the late 90's more Chattanooga fans were there than the others combined. You can just look at the teams and tell me who has more fans show up than these schools. Baylor, Soddy Daisy, Bradley, McCallie, Ooltewah, and Notre Dame? But I do think that the duals should be somewhere like at MTSU if they could get the gym there. I would make that drive.

QUOTE(fanofwrestling @ Feb 5 2007 - 07:57 PM) 826359661[/snapback]

Come on people! Either attendance is down OR the seating is lacking. You can't have both! Stop searching for something to complain about every year and learn how to appreciate the sport you love and the work that Clarksville does every year to make you feel welcome. They do an excellent job!

Well after reading the Chattanooga Free/Press last Friday and read that Ronnie

Carter said that last years state duals lost money and that he was thinking about cutting the teams from 16 back to 8. Then I think it is important that we look at finding a better place to have it instead of cutting the number of teams just so we can continue to hold the duals in Clarksville. By the way Clarksville does a good job but maybe there is more to it than just the fact that the Clarksville folks are good people.

I think that after attending the state duals the last couple of years that Clarksville does a solid job hosting this event. Having said that I would rather see this tourney held in a larger arena. It stinks having to go back and forth between gyms to follow your team. Still, I dont want to sound petty because of this reason alone. As a proud father of a Greene Devil Wrestler (alumnus as well) I would follow them to _ _ Egypt to watch them wrestle. We should all remember whatever will make this sport grow is the most important factor of all no matter if it is Clarksville or wherever.

QUOTE(MatWizard87 @ Feb 5 2007 - 03:15 PM) 826359373[/snapback]

the clarksville booster was trying from the end of last wrestling season throughout this one to try and get the event at APSU and still run the show. But APSU wasn't as cooperative as UTC is with the State Individual. If anything they could use it as a chance to show off their campus and maybe even get people from across the state to think about attending college there after high school.

I agree this year the tournament attendance seemed a little low, most likely due to the weather.

Now we can only wait for the complaints about the bathrooms to start showing up. .

i also think that the traditional tournament should stay in Chattanooga, i know when it came that time of the year, traveling to somewhere else was way more fun than staying home. Going to the individual tournament and seeing the city and campus is probably what got me to decide on attending UTC.

There was never a wait in the bathroom and they were very clean.

QUOTE(fanofwrestling @ Feb 5 2007 - 07:57 PM) 826359661[/snapback]

Come on people! Either attendance is down OR the seating is lacking. You can't have both! Stop searching for something to complain about every year and learn how to appreciate the sport you love and the work that Clarksville does every year to make you feel welcome. They do an excellent job!

I would have loved to have stayed and watched the 2nd half of D1 bracket Friday night but we graciously left so that we made room for the other teams fans. I would have liked to have seen the A/AA and D2 competition but I knew it would be too crowded to comfortably view these matches and I am quite sure there were folks who felt the same as I did. I would say that there were A/AA and D2 folks who may have came to watch on Friday night but I am sure that they knew it would be too crowded. There are quite a few wrestling fans who just love to watch wrestling whether it's A/AA, D1 or D2. If you had a bigger venue you might even be able to make an extra dollar or two. So, I guess I am replying to you by saying I already love and appreciate this sport and if we had a bigger venue I might get to appreciate all of the Tn. wrestlers. I am not disagreeing with you about the Clarksville folks doing a good job, we just need a bigger site.

QUOTE(tin man @ Feb 5 2007 - 08:44 PM) 826359706[/snapback]

for what it is worth, I would agree that the UTC arena is a great facility and they do a wonderful job, but parking is atrocious and hotel space is much more limited

So what other place would you call to host a state tournament with both divisions over 600+ wrestlers families and the locals that come to watch like me and my 6 year old? There are no high schools that could do that and MTSU I went there has less parking for the most part than UTC does with the garage and 10 parking lots within 3 blocks of the Arena. Also if you can find a hotel outside of downtown Chattanooga there are plenty of hotels in the outskirts just a few minutes away. So I think it is a perfect place for the state that can handle even more growth than what has already begun. Never been to Austin Peay so not really sure what they have to offer.

There are other places in middle Tn to have duals it could be held at the Municipal auditorium maybe the Allen center at David Lipscomb or even the Williamson county ag center . The re is also places in Memphis the Pyramid would be great Knoxville has places also . I realy believe if it were held after Individuals it would draw larger crowds . Clarksville does a great job . Ireally don't think weather had that much to do with attendance . I think everybody knew who would bein the finals . When ever some one can step up and be competitive with Soddy and Bradley numbers will be up.