Tri-County Seven 4 February, 2007

krichunaka

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Feb 7 2007 - 12:35 PM) 826362056[/snapback]

First - Congratulations to the Lady Cyclones for answering every challenge. And contrary to the boasts of a certain guy in Roan Mountain, this is a tremendous group of Ladies who deserve much more respect. Region Two-AA is always a very tough draw for any of our teams, and this season is no exception; but the Lady Cyclones have the talent, leadership and depth for a legitimate shot at Murfreesboro. We should ALL offer our unwavering support. What a great group of Seniors.

Second - King, I'm very sorry to hear that I'm not liked, especially by one of my all-time favorite Roan Mountaineers, but I'd still buy her dinner any day of the week. Incidentally, I got to speak with her brother last night., and your father and sister. They've all, always been very good sports.

Third - Though it probably should be first - Highlander, Thanks for continuing to be a great sport, and for seeing this as it is: a Game. Incidentally, #23 did an excellent job, especially in running down what appeared a breakaway layup. I disagree slightly about the effort; but I haven't seen the Lady Highlanders that many times (I think six games to date). It just appeared to us, that Unaka managed to get some offensive mismatches at critical times; Kayla Winters and Brittany Scott are very quick off the dribble. It was a poor outside shooting night for both teams. None-from-three by the Lady Highlanders is probably a first since forever. I'll wager the Lady Highlanders have probably Never gone scoreless from three-point range. Unaka also rattled several threes. It was a combination of bad luck and great perimeter defense by both teams.

Coach Kenneth Chambers has spent the entire season drenching fires from nearly every direction. Add to that, the loss of three players who would've logged several minutes last night. Cloudland fans can relate. They lost enough players last season to field a conference championship team. Tuesday, Coach Chambers was able to get his starters enough minutes on the bench, to survive the amazing fourth-quarter pressure by Cloudland.

Ultimately, in searching for the Key reason for Unaka's win, it comes back to Natalie Johnson. Unaka Elementary coach, Bobbie Renee Blevins, told me last spring that Johnson was going to be special. A long way to go, experience-wise, but her ability to defend against Cloudland's outstanding point-guard/playmaker, Brooke Johnson, and to face the pressure from B J, and others, was the biggest difference from the game one loss in Roan Mountain.

And though scoreless, Kaleigh Elsea played a very good defensive game. And Defense was what it ultimately took to achieve victory.

krich; Yes I told you that Natalie was going to be special!!! At Cloudland she let some pressure get to her but she has grew up SO MUCH the past two or three games. At Unaka she did a great job defending Brooke Johnson and dealing with Cloudlands pressure D. As a coach,I believe that the key to any teams success is in the hands of their point guard because they are the leader on the floor and have to make things happen. Natalie has that ability and now she has finally realized that she can do it in high school just as well as she did in jr. high, so I think we are just starting to see what this kid can do. I cant wait to see what she brings the rest of the season.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Feb 8 2007 - 09:44 AM) 826363212[/snapback]

"By the way, wouldn't someone like to see an AAU team made up of Carter County's finest sophomores? Man, would that be a team, or what?? thumb[1].gif" [Partial Quote from "The Highlander" - post #29]

Highlander, Couldn't agree more. I'll try to get a list threaded by day's end. It's a tremendous group; a lot of future scholarships.

Kayla Winters, Kayleigh Elsea, Andrea Lewis (Unaka), Brooke Johnson, Shellie McKinney, Sydney Buchanan (Cloudland), Mariah Pietrowski (Elizabethton), Ali Gardener, Jennifer Edwards (Erwin), Courtney Byers, Summer Ward, Heather Hughes (Happy Valley), April Wilson (Johnson County), Josie McKinney, and Mikki Oliver (Hampton)...

That'd be a heckuva team right there... Imagine that team in two more years when they're seniors...

QUOTE(Rangerbook06 @ Feb 8 2007 - 03:33 PM) 826363794[/snapback]

Kayla Winters, Kayleigh Elsea, Andrea Lewis (Unaka), Brooke Johnson, Shellie McKinney, Sydney Buchanan (Cloudland), Mariah Pietrowski (Elizabethton), Ali Gardener, Jennifer Edwards (Erwin), Courtney Byers, Summer Ward, Hether Hughes (Happy Valley), April Wilson (Johnson County), Josie McKinney, and Mikki Oliver (Hampton)...

That'd br a heckuva team right there... Imagine that team in two more years when they're seniors...

yea but who could handle that crew

Lady Cyclones beat TN High tonight 55-47. What a game. Down 14 in the first half, and 10 I think at the half, EHS played an outstanding second half, taking control of the game in the third quarter and keeping control till the end. A key point was in the second quarter when EHS's posts all had 3 fouls and EHS went with 5 guards and finished the half with a rally.

What a Senior night for the EHS seniors!!!

QUOTE(Rangerbook06 @ Feb 8 2007 - 03:33 PM) 826363794[/snapback]

Kayla Winters, Kayleigh Elsea, Andrea Lewis (Unaka), Brooke Johnson, Shellie McKinney, Sydney Buchanan (Cloudland), Mariah Pietrowski (Elizabethton), Ali Gardener, Jennifer Edwards (Erwin), Courtney Byers, Summer Ward, Hether Hughes (Happy Valley), April Wilson (Johnson County), Josie McKinney, and Mikki Oliver (Hampton)...

That'd be a heckuva team right there... Imagine that team in two more years when they're seniors...

C Mariah Pietrowskie

PF Kalyla Winters

SF Mikki Oliver

SG Courtney Byers

PG Brooke Johnson

How do you think that looks for a starting line-up for this team?... Krich?

QUOTE(mchale24 @ Feb 7 2007 - 09:47 PM) 826362759[/snapback]

Anybody know anything about an injury to an Elizabethton player this week?

Heard Mariah was out for the rest of the season, unless she decided to play with the injury. Will be a big loss for the Lady Cyclones. Thought she had done a terrific job for them and always seemed to give them a lift when things weren't going well. Wish her a speedy recovery.

QUOTE(Rangerbook06 @ Feb 8 2007 - 10:31 PM) 826364415[/snapback]

C Mariah Pietrowskie

PF Kalyla Winters

SF Mikki Oliver

SG Courtney Byers

PG Brooke Johnson

How do you think that looks for a starting line-up for this team?... Krich?

QUOTE(Rangerbook06 @ Feb 8 2007 - 03:33 PM) *

First, I'd add these names and have tryouts, before reducing to about a 12 member team.

Cloudland - Jordi Miller and Julia Wilson

Hampton - Kelli Metcalf, Sarah Calhoun, Sarah Goodwin

Happy Valley - Lindsey Toney and Kelly Kincer

Elizabethton - Arin Anderson

Unaka - Chelsea Anderson

Unicoi County - Kayla Edwards

As for your starting lineup, I'll think about it and get back to you. But so far, and nothing against any of your starters, as a matter of personal preference, I'd start another forward - McKinney, Ward, Anderson - and sit one of the guards. And I'd start Jennifer Edwards. In fact, I would have started her with Mariah, even before Mariah's injury.

QUOTE(ghostbuster14 @ Feb 9 2007 - 10:35 PM) 826365605[/snapback]

The Lady Landers bounced back from their loss on the creek and defeated Hampton tonight. I can't remeber the final score but I think they won by 9! That put them 1st in the conference! Way to go Lady Landers!

Good win for the Lady Landers tonight. Just like the game at Hampton the final score is not indicative of the game itself. What a defensive game this was. I look for the district and regional tournaments to be wide open. I know that Cloudland is the 1 seed but Hampton, Unaka & North Greene are all capable of pulling off the upset. Anybody got the matchups yet for the tournament and the dates, etc...

I bet we only shot 10 percent from the floor. Final score was 35-26. Thats two games in a row that we only scored 35. Coach is losing his composure way too easy. The girls get nervous and lose confidence in their shots and they look confused on the floor. They might want to take note of that. Calm down and make them believe in themselves.