Who is the 14A MVP and Coach of the Year?

choctawman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(choctawman @ Feb 6 2007 - 11:00 AM) 826360314[/snapback]

Who is the 14A MVP and Coach of the Year?

MVP is probably M.J. Brown of Union City

Coach is Larry Eddings of Bradford

Union City fans will argue, and correctly so, that their team, not MJ or any other individual is the reason for their success. However, when Lake Co. (even though Springer makes for a good argument) and Humboldt are also more team oriented - you can't drop down outside those three for the MVP.

I agree with MJ being the MVP. He is the best player on the best team! He has been the leader on the court for Union City all season.

I think Sisco should be Coach of the Year however...now Bradfords coach has done a good job for them, got them a huge win over Humbolt. But think about it, Union City is undefeated in 14A!! That's pretty unbelieveable considering the amount of talent in our region. And if he wouldn't have gone to those tournaments, UC would be undefeated for the season right now! I don't know how Shane does it, but all he's knows is winning!

MVP - MJ Brown (Union City) He does it all! He's a true athlete, & he's so unselfish. He's a good kid on & off the court.

Coach of the Year - Coach Eddings (Bradford) He has truly turned this team around, & he's fun to watch. Bradford's turned some heads this year including mine, & they could surprise some people during tournaments! I'm awaiting an upset!

QUOTE(DWADE @ Feb 6 2007 - 11:00 AM) 826360379[/snapback]

I think Sisco should be Coach of the Year.Union City is undefeated in 14A!! That's pretty unbelieveable considering the amount of talent in our region. I don't know how Shane does it, but all he's knows is winning!

Anybody can coach with Union City's talent. Coach Eddings and Coach Whitby get far more out of their talent.

Larry Eddings 2007 14A Coach of The Year

MVP......MJ Brown....Best Player on Best Team

Coach Of The Year.....Shane Sisco......What nobody has mentioned yet is that Union City lost four starters(Mr.Basketball and state tournament MVP & leading scorer by far on the team Marquis Weddle,leading rebounder Xavier Robinson,Tony Mosley and Nate Coleman)due to graduation from a state championship team..They had the bulls eye on their back every nite and they came through the toughest District in 1A undefeated,barring a monumental upset tonite against South Fulton.....

Humboldt and Lake County both have more raw talent than Union City does..The main difference is coaching and no...not everyone could coach this Union City team....

I'd have to give my vote as coach of the year to Larry Eddings..I would have probably had Bradford in about 7th place before the season and he has them in 4th place in a district where a lot of 1st place teams in another district would be in 4th place...U.C can say that they lost several players and they did but had a junior class that could have started last year at most any other school..Lake Co. lost several starters also in Tony tyler and Jay Warlick but had several returning also..Coach Whitby hasn't ..in my opinion ..come out and put some teams away early..By that..I mean ,he plays starters according to the teams he's playing...Nothing wrong with that as far as not wanting to beat teams by 40 points..but I'd rather see him play his starters and hopefully get a big lead and start subbing than maybe come to the game and see that he's starting 3 or 4 freshmen...And I believe he lets Lake Co have too much free reign in their outside shooting..For instance..Lake Co has a 10 point lead in a game with only about 3 or 4 minutes left..No shot clock ..Take some time off the clock and don't shoot unless a layup or a gimme..Also doesn't seem to want to play a zone..If Lake Co wins or loses..his philosophy seems to be..beat us with us playing man to man...At least try to change for a few minutes and see what transpires..I guess he thinks Lake Co will be able to get a lot of turnovers.That's his choice..As for MVP..I'd have to say it's a two man race between Channin Geanes and M.J.Brown...M.J. has had several games that he hasn't scored as he should but at the same time could probably average a lot more if he wanted but has a lot of weapons around him and Channin has had games in which he's struggled to stay on the floor in picking up cheap fouls..Both these players have the talent to play with anyone..Probably could make an argument for Sain from Humboldt..Sep Valentine from Lake Co..Sain carries Humboldt and a lot of times is double teamed..Sep Valentine is probably the hardest worker on any team..Never leaves the floor and may be more valuable to Lake Co overall than Geanes and Springer because he's the one player that can break a press..a wizard in handling the ball..and always plays the other teams top player unless it's a big man..Always hustles!

Bigster,I agree Eddings has done some real good things at Bradford...But,in my opinion you don't give the Coach of the Year Award to the coach of a fourth place team....MJ doesn't play in the fourth quarter of alot of games,that's why his scoring numbers aren't real high...Union City has three players averaging 15 points a game and then we aren't even mentioning Union City's leading scorer,Tony Wilkins who is averaging 16 points per game....But going back to MJ...There is not another player in the district I want with the ball in the critical last minutes of a game....And bigster,remember back to last year when Lake County beat Union City in Union City???...These same guys that are playing right now for Union City were the very ones Lake County beat by double digits....

QUOTE(mrbigster @ Feb 6 2007 - 08:28 PM) 826361111[/snapback]

I'd have to give my vote as coach of the year to Larry Eddings..I would have probably had Bradford in about 7th place before the season and he has them in 4th place in a district where a lot of 1st place teams in another district would be in 4th place...U.C can say that they lost several players and they did but had a junior class that could have started last year at most any other school..Lake Co. lost several starters also in Tony tyler and Jay Warlick but had several returning also..Coach Whitby hasn't ..in my opinion ..come out and put some teams away early..By that..I mean ,he plays starters according to the teams he's playing...Nothing wrong with that as far as not wanting to beat teams by 40 points..but I'd rather see him play his starters and hopefully get a big lead and start subbing than maybe come to the game and see that he's starting 3 or 4 freshmen...And I believe he lets Lake Co have too much free reign in their outside shooting..For instance..Lake Co has a 10 point lead in a game with only about 3 or 4 minutes left..No shot clock ..Take some time off the clock and don't shoot unless a layup or a gimme..Also doesn't seem to want to play a zone..If Lake Co wins or loses..his philosophy seems to be..beat us with us playing man to man...At least try to change for a few minutes and see what transpires..I guess he thinks Lake Co will be able to get a lot of turnovers.That's his choice..As for MVP..I'd have to say it's a two man race between Channin Geanes and M.J.Brown...M.J. has had several games that he hasn't scored as he should but at the same time could probably average a lot more if he wanted but has a lot of weapons around him and Channin has had games in which he's struggled to stay on the floor in picking up cheap fouls..Both these players have the talent to play with anyone..Probably could make an argument for Sain from Humboldt..Sep Valentine from Lake Co..Sain carries Humboldt and a lot of times is double teamed..Sep Valentine is probably the hardest worker on any team..Never leaves the floor and may be more valuable to Lake Co overall than Geanes and Springer because he's the one player that can break a press..a wizard in handling the ball..and always plays the other teams top player unless it's a big man..Always hustles!

I'd put Sep before Channen any day. Channen may be the better ball player, but Sep seems to have more determination & heart. I've seen Channen play good ball, but I've also seen him during many lazy games. Sep always plays hard. He seems to be more consistent & dependable. As for MJ, I'm sure he could score more than he does in every game, but like I said, he's an unselfish player. He does his part & more, but rather than being concerned about individual glory, he cares about the success of his team.

QUOTE(wtspfan @ Feb 6 2007 - 11:49 PM) 826361280[/snapback]

MVP M.J Brown Union City

Coach Larry Eddings Bradford beaten Humboldt,Trenton,and lost to Lake Co at Lake Co by 3 and I can understand where you say Sisco but wasnt Union City picked to be where they are

Coaches had Union City tabbed as the third place team in the pre-season....