Science Hill Football

topvol98

QUOTE(skunk @ Apr 5 2007 - 04:43 PM) 826430840[/snapback]Well tophat, as you showcase at least the third version of a Hilltopper helmet over the past ten years, your fans are the ones screaming of how football is going to change in Northeast Tennessee with a spread offense!!!!! and blitzing in abnormal situations!!!!! nobody could have ever thought of that in the Big East Conference...Where were you BB (before Bowles)?...when was the last time the Hill revolutionized football?...and didn't Shoun and other QBs do a lot of throwing?...seems I had a son or two pick off some of those passes...have you seen Bearden play the past couple of years?...a spread offense...

I hope Smith does well, I hope Cutlip can enjoy his job, I hope J.C. re-elects Mohon and whats his name, but you all shouldn't think football is a new sport and a good coach will live forever not being appreciated and well, at least someone voted...

Roll Tribe Roll

Ah the sign of an intelligent debater- name calling. Who are the fans that your keep referring to that are screaming about the spread offense, Science Hill has been running a version of the spread the last two years. Shoun ran it very well and had the athletic ability to make it work despite the play calling. Might be one of the reasons he was the offensive player of the year in the confrence his senior year. If you don't have proper blocking schemes (coaching) and players to carry it out, doesn't matter what offense you run. I believe that's one of the biggest differences amongst very succesful high school teams and medicore ones.

I didn't have a reason to be concern with SHHS football before bowles because my son wasn't at the school ball level and he's the only tie I have to SHHS. You have to talk to the AD about the helmet and uniform situation because I never understood how coaches can come in and change them but they do at SHHS. Since my son plays and I support his endeavors, I will fly any colors that represent them.

I hope Smith does well too because these kids deserve some success. The other ramblings of yours, I can't make any sense of them so I can't comment on them. I do have ask about all the distaste you have for Johnson City, what's that about? I work in kingsport and it seems that are finally some business arriving so that those living over there dont' have to come over and spend their money over here to have an night out so aren't things looking up in the Model City? Stop hating and try to use that energy for good. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Footballfan15 @ Apr 5 2007 - 08:58 AM) 826430458[/snapback]I know Coach Smith. He will out work his opponents and he will win at Science Hill. BOOK IT!!!!

They've been winning at Science Hill...they have made the playoffs 3 of the last 5. They have more wins than losses. What does "winning" encompass.

I have 2 cents to throw in. Several years ago DB went out and hired a winner to come here and take the program to another level. That coach had won 3 state titles at another school and basically spring boarded that program to a Tennessee powerhouse that continues to this day. He was the messiah, yet he left DB after 11 seasons with a record of 96-26 (pretty good) but never advancing past the 3rd round in the playoffs. That was Coach Ted Wilson who is now a HOFer that took Maryville to 3 titles before coming to DB. He is a great coah and a great man but it just never translated to an ultimate reward for the program ON THE FIELD. Does that mean it wasn't a success? Hardly because I'm sure he is responsible for many a young man's success in life beyond football. He said in an interview that he never left Maryville for DB to build a dynasty but just because he loved to coach football and it was icing on the cake. I say that to say this, just because there is much talk and desire for success that doens't always flesh out. Is he the missing link? maybe but we wont know for a few more months. Le the pads do the talking and see where it goes. I would have to say that unless these young men come out on the other side of 4 years with the the idea that this was not the high mark in there lives then it was not successful. Sometimes winning in life gets trumped by winning between the lines

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." John Wooden

My son made a comment in the middle of last years football season that didn't sit well with me. He said, "dad, I don't think we are practicing hard enough, I think I am going to talk to coach Bowles".

Gezz...How often does a player complain about not practicing hard enough in football? I'm going to let that speak for itself. I don't think I will hear those words uttered from his mouth this year...lol /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I am 1 Db fan, as I am sure many others wish the same, that hopes Smith sparks some excitement at the Hill. Waco tells us he has won one game over a winning 5A school and this is true. Many folks want him to prove his worth and I am sure he will try his best to do so. The thing I like that is good for everyone in the conference is, the Hill is excited, players,fans etc. This alone will hopefully bring some new excitement that perhaps has been missinging in our conference for about 3 or 4 years. So while Smith has yet to prove himself, at least folks are excitted and maybe he might make the other coaches in the conference try a bit harder, play up a level, or whatever you want to call it. Our conference has been down overall and Smith may be a flop, or a great coach, but he has got folksw talking and that in my opinion is good for our conference. A new coach, new ideas, and keeping us on our toes. Smith has much to prove in East Tn, but I welcome an attempt by JC to change. I am sure all coaches in the conference will be very aware of Smith and will try and take their game up a notch. DB fans, Science Hill fans, and anyone else in the conference agree with me when I say Smith is like a coach Meadows that came to Jeff Co a few years ago and made Jeff Co a threat with scooter & Jeff Jennings. Anyone else rememebr that? Hopefully Smith will do the same and help get the whole conference to be on guard.

Nobody did any name calling so quit the whining...don't hate anything about J.C, but have never gone there for something to do...another bit of inflated ego...if you don't understand the "other ramblings" then you don't really understand your town...but that is fine, too...Bowles wasn't the only thing wrong...the fact that Smith's arrival has been hailed as the wake-up call to Big East football is offensive...what he is supposedly going to bring is already here in many other schools around the region...it can be the wake-up call to the Hill to potentially play to the level of others in the conference (or higher) and that would be just fine...Happy Easter

bud, I remember well the great Jeff County talent of Jennings, Scooter, Brown and Clement and how wasted they were with really poor or at best average coaching (my oldest son played against them for four years)...That talent should have accomplished much more...he may do well at Blount, but Jeff County was not a great job of coaching...

Roll Tribe Roll

Skunk, I will have to disagree about Jeff Co. They gave DB all and more than we wanted, but I think DB had more depth and talent. Since Meadows has left, Jeff Co has seen a decline. Remember that year we played then in the regular season and in the playoffs in 2001? Wow! Those were two great games and we were lucky to win, especially the playoffs. When he left, that program took a downward turn. Of coourse some say Meadows like to follow talent, but I think he has broken that image by staying loyal to William Blount, thus far. Skunk, are you still at Tim's office? I sent you a few emailsabout UT and never knew if you got them.. Thank

QUOTE(Skunk@home @ Apr 5 2007 - 11:40 PM) 826431107[/snapback]bud, I remember well the great Jeff County talent of Jennings, Scooter, Brown and Clement and how wasted they were with really poor or at best average coaching (my oldest son played against them for four years)...That talent should have accomplished much more...he may do well at Blount, but Jeff County was not a great job of coaching...

Roll Tribe Roll

Defensive coaching was a problem, especially in the secondary. I`ll never forget 3rd and 28 in the 2003 regular season game and watching Lamon Williams glide into the endzone /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

The 02 playoff game was classic and with a few breaks the game could have gone the other way, phantom catch on the sideline, 4 downs from the 3 and not punching it in. I agree with you that we could/should have done better, but its not like we were playing against slouch teams( DB on the road in 02, and OR on the road in 03). No excuses but thats a tough row to hoe.

and another thread has left the intended topic to become a lesson about db's greatness /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

and another thread has left the intended topic to become a lesson about db's greatness /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

QUOTE(topvol98 @ Apr 6 2007 - 05:04 AM) 826431189[/snapback]and another thread has left the intended topic to become a lesson about db's greatness /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Well, what do you expect? Theres no greatness to talk about at Science Hill.

I've got the the complete DVD set that containes all the Gilligan's Island episodes for sale. Only $79.99