Science Hill hosts/ Dobyns Bennett travels

noonesfool

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ Mar 6 2007 - 08:33 AM) 826401794[/snapback]Special thanks to Powell for saving Dobyns-Bennett the embaressment of a first round slaughter.

Now on to baseball, where DB can at least compete on the state level.

You are 100% correct on at least this part of your post. Not sure about the rest. More height and more consistent shooting from the floor - are these coaching issues or talent /practice issues?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBGRAD70 @ Mar 6 2007 - 11:43 AM) 826402074[/snapback]You are 100% correct on at least this part of your post. Not sure about the rest. More height and more consistent shooting from the floor - are these coaching issues or talent /practice issues?

I didn't see the game but Morgan said D-B missed several easy shots and should have lead by 12 in the fourth quarter. I guess that's his fault huh Waco? And Waco, if D-B fails to win the state in baseball this year despite the national ranking and lofty expectations, will you be ready to fire Ritz too? Ritz won state titles at North before coming to D-B and didn't Morgan win a state in Va. before coming to D-B? So, explain to me why they all of a sudden forget how to coach when they get to D-B?? It ain't the coaching.

QUOTE(VolmanScott @ Mar 6 2007 - 12:00 PM) 826402099[/snapback]I didn't see the game but Morgan said D-B missed several easy shots and should have lead by 12 in the fourth quarter. I guess that's his fault huh Waco?

They have had that problem all year along with the yips at the free throw line

QUOTE(VolmanScott @ Mar 6 2007 - 12:00 PM) 826402099[/snapback]So, explain to me why they all of a sudden forget how to coach when they get to D-B?? It ain't the coaching.

recruiting...we're just not getting out there and beating the bushes to get the best athletes /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(maroonandgrey @ Mar 6 2007 - 12:05 PM) 826402103[/snapback]recruiting...we're just not getting out there and beating the bushes to get the best athletes /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

recruiting! you know they've neeever recruited!

Its a problem with school administration . They should be giving out vitamins and growth hormones in elementary school . (kidding of course - before somebody takes it serious )

QUOTE(DBGRAD70 @ Mar 6 2007 - 12:57 PM) 826402174[/snapback]recruiting! you know they've neeever recruited!

Its a problem with school administration . They should be giving out vitamins and growth hormones in elementary school . (kidding of course - before somebody takes it serious )

I have heard the same thing from afar, that the difference between now and the glory years of Johnson City and Kingsport is that some of the best hoopers are walking the halls instead of running the court. Is this true? If so why?

QUOTE(formertncoach @ Mar 6 2007 - 01:03 PM) 826402186[/snapback]I have heard the same thing from afar, that the difference between now and the glory years of Johnson City and Kingsport is that some of the best hoopers are walking the halls instead of running the court. Is this true? If so why?

I think you're right. The reason is that poor academic performance is no longer tolerated - at least at DB, and rightly so. Is that to say it is tolerated at the left end of TN?

QUOTE(VolmanScott @ Mar 6 2007 - 12:00 PM) 826402099[/snapback]I didn't see the game but Morgan said D-B missed several easy shots and should have lead by 12 in the fourth quarter. I guess that's his fault huh Waco? And Waco, if D-B fails to win the state in baseball this year despite the national ranking and lofty expectations, will you be ready to fire Ritz too? Ritz won state titles at North before coming to D-B and didn't Morgan win a state in Va. before coming to D-B? So, explain to me why they all of a sudden forget how to coach when they get to D-B?? It ain't the coaching.

There have only been a few games all season where DB shot the ball well. Foul shooting has not been very good all year. Yes I think its Morgans fault. He is the coach after all. To become a good shooter, you practice shooting. Looks like there was not enough shooting practice. I know most of these guys used to be good shooters. And if they can hit in some games and can't in others, that looks like coaching to me. To answer your stupid question about baseball: Ritz can compete with any team in the state, both with his coaching ability and also the use of his players and the talent "HE" has developed. Ever notice how his players start out good and then get better while playing under him? The basketball coach at DB can not say the same thing.

It is the coaching!

I didn't get to see or hear the game but from what it sounds like from TriCitiesSports.com is that DB got hosed by the officials. It seemed like every player made a comment about it, as well as Morgan. For that many to say something it had to be a little questionable. What association did the officiating?

I know that most of the time officials don't win/lose games but in a game decided by 3 points, 1 or 2 calls can make a huge difference.

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ Mar 6 2007 - 02:11 PM) 826402302[/snapback]It is the coaching!

Should have got Pitts while you could have. Who dropped the ball on that one?

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ Mar 6 2007 - 07:33 AM) 826401794[/snapback]Special thanks to Charlie Morgan (best coach in upper east tn.) for making this season like a major tooth ake.

Special thanks to Powell for saving Dobyns-Bennett the embaressment of a first round slaughter.

Now on to baseball, where DB can at least compete on the state level.

You are an idiot.

Wow, brock20, thank you for the link to that site. What kind of joker actually puts that write-up in print? No doubt there were some questionable calls made, but there were bad calls both ways. What's even more puzzling is that the calls he mentions weren't the bad calls. When a player jumps on a loose ball face down, and attempts to call timeout face up, that's a travel. Are the rules different in Kingsport? The entire DB crowd erupted along with the DB bench, then it gets brought up in an article. That's a joke of a journalist.

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ Mar 6 2007 - 02:11 PM) 826402302[/snapback]There have only been a few games all season where DB shot the ball well. Foul shooting has not been very good all year. Yes I think its Morgans fault. He is the coach after all. To become a good shooter, you practice shooting. Looks like there was not enough shooting practice. I know most of these guys used to be good shooters. And if they can hit in some games and can't in others, that looks like coaching to me. To answer your stupid question about baseball: Ritz can compete with any team in the state, both with his coaching ability and also the use of his players and the talent "HE" has developed. Ever notice how his players start out good and then get better while playing under him? The basketball coach at DB can not say the same thing.

It is the coaching!

As you expected I'm sure, I'm going to disagree with you again. Most kids develop good/bad shooting at an early age. It's hard to change a kids shot when he is 16 years old. By the time Morgan gets them, they can either shoot or they can't. He may be able to tweak them a bit, but for the most part, they either can or can't by 16 years of age. As for Ritz, I think he's a great coach and he may win it all this year, but if you are going to judge Clark and Morgan by state titles at D-B, you should do the same with Ritz. Besides, baseball is the easiest of all these sports to coach. Baseball is less of a team sport than football and basketball. Either you pitch it well individually, catch it well individually, throw it well individually or hit it well individually. The biggest decision a baseball coach makes is who to start.

There were bad calls both ways. For a "professional" journalist to write up something like that is pathetic. I had a lot of respect for the way DB played after watching them last night. That all went out the window after i read that article. For players to be quoted in a write up bashing the officials shows a lack of leadership in that program. Period. Coach Ogan wouldn't let something like that fly i promise you. Seems like they quickly forgot about all the free throws that they missed or the three or four lay ups that they missed throughout the course of the game that would have easily given them the win. Give me a break. Powell played its D+ game at best and still walked away with a victory because they are that much better. That journalist should be drug into the street and stoned for posting that rubbish and the players that made those remarks need to be disciplined accordingly. Anyway you guys keep blaming the refs we'll send you a post card from MTSU.