CONGRATULATIONS LADY LANDERS!

The Highlander

Just want to say how proud we are of the Lady 'Landers. This was a TOTAL team effort and they all played with a great amount of heart!

I can not possibly do a story as colorful as Starman, but I'll give you the facts, since the Johnson City Press buried us on the third page. Yes, I've cancelled my subscription. The Elizabethton Star has done a great job all year of covering our basketball teams, and I highly recommend you get Sunday's Edition for the full story.

The first quarter was a little ugly for both teams. Turn over after turn over reminded me of youth club. A good case of the nerves and the noise level caused both teams some problems. (That's why we call it Loudland). On a positive side however, the 'Landers pressure defense held the Cherokees to only four points. The first quarter would end with the Lady 'Landers leading 8-4.

If anything, the second quarter was a little uglier than the first. I was afraid to ask Coach Deani Smith how many turnovers we had. Both teams played with a great deal of heart and determination, and I need to make it clear that most of the t/o's were not due to simple mistakes. Defense was the determining factor. Several times, a turnover by one team would be answered immediately with a steal by the other.

The girls told me after the game they had no idea, in many cases, what play was being called by Coach Birchfield, due to the noise level. They finally resorted to hand signals. GO LANDER FANS!!! The half ended with the Lady 'Landers down 12-13.

For those of us who know them well, one could tell that the Lady 'Landers were ready to finish this game off with a win when they came back after the half. At some point during the third (sorry Starman, I'm not as good as you...) Santana Clawson and Brooke Johnson hit two BIG threes and the tempo took a turn in the Lady 'Landers favor, with us outscoring the Cherokees 11-7 in the period.

As the 'Lander Fans ROCKED THE HOUSE, the teams lined up for the decisive final period. At this point, the noise level was like Thompson-Boling Arena when Candace dunks. It was difficult to hear even the referee's whistles. The 'Landers came out with as much determination as I've seen this year. They had an absolute will to win this game. Each team had their highest scoring period in the fourth, with Greenback putting up 11 and Cloudland racking in 12. Greenback's Cara Sparks (50) put in a two, and was 3-3 from the foul line to try to carry her team. Their Casey Best added the longest range three of the night in the fourth as well.

But, Brooke Johnson had half of her ten point total in the fourth, Jess Mathies and Santana Clawson hit some key free throws as well. Still, the Cherokees pulled within one point at about the 5:00 minute mark at 26-25. Then Jordi Miller hit a monster three to put us up by four. The noise level crescendoed high enough to register on the Richter Scale. At this point, the game was down to determination, not making mistakes, and hitting our foul shots. That's when BJ, Jess, and Santana sealed the deal from the charity stripe.

This was simply one of the most exciting games of basketball I've seen in a long time. Congratulations to my Cloudland Lady Highlanders !!! Let's go to the 'Boro!!!

The Highlander

P.S. The best "shot" of the night was probably made after the game. Coach Birchfield was able to dodge the first Gatorade bath with only a damp arm. But the second attempt was a perfectly aimed "three-pointer" that left him looking like he fell in a swimming pool!

P.P.S. Now, whomever is praying for snow, please stop it. I have to get the camper ready to go to Murfreesboro, and we've already got a couple of inches!

QUOTE(starman @ Mar 4 2007 - 12:11 PM) 826399270[/snapback]Congragulations to a wonderful group of young ladies who happen to be a very good basketball team. Best of luck to you in Murfeesboro along with Coach Birchfield, staff and fans. I hope to be down there on Wednesday covering your game.

Starman

Gosh, I hope you are there. I can't keep doing your job for you! LOL /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

QUOTE(The Highlander @ Mar 4 2007 - 12:14 PM) 826399273[/snapback]Gosh, I hope you are there. I can't keep doing your job for you! LOL /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

You could do my job a whole lot better than I do it. You have sportswriters then you have me. I don't have a clue what I'm doing but whatever it is I enjoy it. Have 23 sink a three for me in the Boro.

Go Lady Highlanders!!!

Carter County basketball sure has been strong!! I have a curiosity question which I'm sure Starman or Krich can answer for me. How many teams have we sent to the 'Boro in the last decade? Boys and Girls? How many years is our longest streak for making the trip?

Thanks and Good Luck to those Highlanders!!!

/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />-->QUOTE(Mrs.B @ Mar 4 2007 - 09:53 PM) 826399923[/snapback]Go Lady Highlanders!!!

Carter County basketball sure has been strong!! I have a curiosity question which I'm sure Starman or Krich can answer for me. How many teams have we sent to the 'Boro in the last decade? Boys and Girls? How many years is our longest streak for making the trip?

Thanks and Good Luck to those Highlanders!!!

Carter county has been strong for one reason. The Big Blue Alliance. Now that we are consistently putting teams in the state tournament, the gold ball will not dodge us forever. The Alliance will make sure that gold balls will be sitting in our high schools.