Stanton Stevens resigns to coach track at ORHS?

Ole Dad

QUOTE(rapbwood @ Mar 11 2007 - 01:38 PM) 826408117[/snapback]A lot of football coaches?

Assistant football coaches - Yes

Head Coaches - No

I don't know of any Head Football Coaches in this area at the primary large school classification doing anything besides concentrating of football. This is not to say small school classification with the lack of athletic programs or teachers within may have to pull double or quadruple duties in different sports programs at the school.

I would have thought a large school at Oak Ridge would multiple resources besides the Head Football Coach for the other athletic programs. If Oak Ridge has dependable offensive and defensive coordinators or assistant head coach to run the show, maybe nothing is wrong with the Head Coach running the track program during the spring. Hey, you never know, maybe golf is not out of the question during the fall football season.

Wrong, Law (Whites Creek), Broome (McGavock), and Campbell (Hunters Lane) all coach basketball.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TDBALLER @ Mar 14 2007 - 12:17 PM) 826411503[/snapback]Wrong, Law (Whites Creek), Broome (McGavock), and Campbell (Hunters Lane) all coach basketball.

Excuse me and let me clarify, I was talking about Football Head Coach being the head coach at the other schools sports athletic programs. Head Football Coaches do help out other programs as assistants/support role on occasions but not generally at the larger school classification and not during football season and spring practice. They have football on the mind and nothing else. This is what they are hired to do. Assistant coaches may be involved in all other sport activities besides football during the off season. Sometimes there are not enough coaches to go around on the smaller school classifications for the secondary sports like golf or bowling, therefore the coaches will be spread thin but not at the football expense.

By the way, isn’t Nollner @ Whites Creek, Simms @ McGavock, and Sewell @ Hunters Lane the Head Boys Basketball coach at their schools or has thing changed in the last few days since the season is ending. I didn’t think Law @ Whites Creek, Broone @ McGavock, and Campbell @ Hunters Lane coach women basketball as well.

QUOTE(rapbwood @ Mar 14 2007 - 02:29 PM) 826411691[/snapback]Excuse me and let me clarify, I was talking about Football Head Coach being the head coach at the other schools sports athletic programs. Head Football Coaches do help out other programs as assistants/support role on occasions but not generally at the larger school classification and not during football season and spring practice. They have football on the mind and nothing else. This is what they are hired to do. Assistant coaches may be involved in all other sport activities besides football during the off season. Sometimes there are not enough coaches to go around on the smaller school classifications for the secondary sports like golf or bowling, therefore the coaches will be spread thin but not at the football expense.

By the way, isn’t Nollner @ Whites Creek, Simms @ McGavock, and Sewell @ Hunters Lane the Head Boys Basketball coach at their schools or has thing changed in the last few days since the season is ending. I didn’t think Law @ Whites Creek, Broone @ McGavock, and Campbell @ Hunters Lane coach women basketball as well.

Who does spell check for you? Broone (should be Broome). Woodard (should be Woodward). Also, Law, Broome, and Campbell are head football coaches. They are assistant basketball coaches. Again, basketball, NOT "golf or bowling".

Ole Dad, Do you really think Head Football coaches sit around all off season Drawing up plays? Get real. Many of the kids are playing baseball. LOTS of the coaches ARE playing golf EEKKKK . I guarantee you coach Quarles is playing some golf this spring. How well do you think Benny Monroe has done? Like I said, he is one of the winningest coaches in TN has been for years. He has always coached track and just to be honest. I don't think he needs the money do you? He does it cause he enjoys it. Strange concept. Brian Marshall #5 is one of his best sprinters. Do you think this will hurt Brian during football season? Didn't seem to hurt him much last year. There is only so much you can COACH during the off season. Of course you are the EXPERT. Stanton should be foaming at the mouth and eating nails and watching hours of film from last year. You crack me up. I tell you this much. If Oak Ridge is not the winningest team in their region next year, it won't be because Coach Stanton coached track this spring lol

QUOTE(Lost Old Dad @ Mar 13 2007 - 08:16 PM) 826410822[/snapback]Not anyone's crony. I have never met Ole Dad and unless a miracle happens I don't expect to. As to beating us, yes it happened. Thing is with Stevens Coaching I don't expect it to EVER happen again. 5-5 teams do NOT beat R'dale. Could I be wrong, yes but it does not happen often.

When I came to Oak Ridge for a couple of games I experienced a great atmosphere laden with a WINNING tradition. Thing is now can you say the same thing there? Yes there is still the steps and the train whistles, but do the players really pass on that winning tradition now or are they just going thru the motions?

Yes football Coaches can coach two sports, but do they really do it well? For instance our track Coach is also our receiver coach, but you know how little we pass. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> If they are gonna coach track they need to be doing it to recruit good fast players for the FOOTBALL team. After all just how much money does track meets bring into the school vs what football brings in. Last time I checked football brings in about 70% of all sports revenue vs the other sports. This not only applys to high school but any school at any level. Even at the summer olympics there is not the 100,000+ fans that are at Neyland Stadium on ANY given home game.

QUOTE(lovehsfootball @ Mar 14 2007 - 03:47 PM) 826411814[/snapback]Ole Dad, Do you really think Head Football coaches sit around all off season Drawing up plays? Get real. Many of the kids are playing baseball. LOTS of the coaches ARE playing golf EEKKKK . I guarantee you coach Quarles is playing some golf this spring. How well do you think Benny Monroe has done? Like I said, he is one of the winningest coaches in TN has been for years. He has always coached track and just to be honest. I don't think he needs the money do you? He does it cause he enjoys it. Strange concept. Brian Marshall #5 is one of his best sprinters. Do you think this will hurt Brian during football season? Didn't seem to hurt him much last year. There is only so much you can COACH during the off season. Of course you are the EXPERT. Stanton should be foaming at the mouth and eating nails and watching hours of film from last year. You crack me up. I tell you this much. If Oak Ridge is not the winningest team in their region next year, it won't be because Coach Stanton coached track this spring lol

OK, one more time for clarity. Ole Dad and Lost Old Dad are TWO completely different people. Ole Dad is in Fla as best as I can figure out and I (Lost Old Dad) am in Murfreesboro.

Stanton may not be jumping up and down, I don't know as I am NOT in Oak Ridge. As to his thinking about football year round it is obvious he didn't with last years record. Maybe that is part of the problem. Maybe he really does need to watch films year round, both of his team and opposition teams. Only thing I know is that if he has the same kind of record again this year he better be working on his resume because he will need it.

If he did that at R'dale he would be GONE already. Even with a new coach and a completely new systems this year we wound up with only TWO losses and made the playoffs while Oak Ridge was finished after 10 games and half of them being LOSSES.

Do I really need to be involved in Oak Ridge's thread? Nope, but my LOVE of football forced me to do it. I could care less about other sports folks play. Here football is thought about and talked about 365 days a year. Want to compare the amount of Gold balls each school has collected in football during the last 15 years?

Will my rambling help Oak Ridge? I don't know but I hope so! If nothing else it is making some folks mad enough to do 'something' one way or the other. That to me is an improvement over doing NOTHING but griping about the Glory days in the PAST. Oak Ridge is too good to become just another DB who can win Region but NOTHING else.

Now that ought to get TWO schools mad at me. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Amen Brother!

Ole Dad

QUOTE(Lost Old Dad @ Mar 14 2007 - 07:44 PM) 826411960[/snapback]OK, one more time for clarity. Ole Dad and Lost Old Dad are TWO completely different people. Ole Dad is in Fla as best as I can figure out and I (Lost Old Dad) am in Murfreesboro.

Stanton may not be jumping up and down, I don't know as I am NOT in Oak Ridge. As to his thinking about football year round it is obvious he didn't with last years record. Maybe that is part of the problem. Maybe he really does need to watch films year round, both of his team and opposition teams. Only thing I know is that if he has the same kind of record again this year he better be working on his resume because he will need it.

If he did that at R'dale he would be GONE already. Even with a new coach and a completely new systems this year we wound up with only TWO losses and made the playoffs while Oak Ridge was finished after 10 games and half of them being LOSSES.

Do I really need to be involved in Oak Ridge's thread? Nope, but my LOVE of football forced me to do it. I could care less about other sports folks play. Here football is thought about and talked about 365 days a year. Want to compare the amount of Gold balls each school has collected in football during the last 15 years?

Will my rambling help Oak Ridge? I don't know but I hope so! If nothing else it is making some folks mad enough to do 'something' one way or the other. That to me is an improvement over doing NOTHING but griping about the Glory days in the PAST. Oak Ridge is too good to become just another DB who can win Region but NOTHING else.

Now that ought to get TWO schools mad at me. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(TDBALLER @ Mar 14 2007 - 04:29 PM) 826411801[/snapback]Who does spell check for you? Broone (should be Broome). Woodard (should be Woodward). Also, Law, Broome, and Campbell are head football coaches. They are assistant basketball coaches. Again, basketball, NOT "golf or bowling".

Since the word is out on these Head Football Coaches are being basketball assistant, is this doing the football program a service, disservice, or neither?

If I read most of the opinions posted on Ole Dad tread, the Head Football Coach is doing the football team a disservice by coaching another sport. I agree with this opinion unless the school personal is not available. This is generally the case in smaller classification.

It amazing how much time consuming work is required to be a Head Football Coach in high school. No wonder the TSSAA wants to cut back on time spent on football in the months of June & July. The poor coach is worn out from coaching winter and springs sports and the Spring Fling tournaments afterwards.

My sentiments exactly.

Thanks,

Ole Dad

QUOTE(rapbwood @ Mar 14 2007 - 11:32 PM) 826412444[/snapback]Since the word is out on these Head Football Coaches are being basketball assistant, is this doing the football program a service, disservice, or neither?

If I read most of the opinions posted on Ole Dad tread, the Head Football Coach is doing the football team a disservice by coaching another sport. I agree with this opinion unless the school personal is not available. This is generally the case in smaller classification.

It amazing how much time consuming work is required to be a Head Football Coach in high school. No wonder the TSSAA wants to cut back on time spent on football in the months of June & July. The poor coach is worn out from coaching winter and springs sports and the Spring Fling tournaments afterwards.

In the 80's Austin East high school was nationally ranked in football. Sam Anderson was their coach. He won the state in Football and Track in the same year. That year he was both the head football coach and head track coach. I hear Stevens coached football and track at Austin East in 2001. He won the state championship. Usually a head coach at established programs are more managers. When you have great programs you have great assistance or an assistant who can run the program in the head coach absence. I hear talk about Minor being a head coach soon why can't he handle the off-season if it is planned by the head coach. It will prepare him for being a head coach and running a program. I would bet that it is already being done that way. Don't know Minor but from what I read and know about Stevens he must be very competent for controlling Stevens to trust his offense to him. It is done a lot of places. I think it is an advantage for the head coach to coach track. You get to keep up with your kids. Track can definetely get you faster. If you require your skill position guys to run track you benefit two ways. 1st they get faster. Secondly you can monitor them in other aspects. The biggest problem these days with kids is keeping them involved in the off season. You talk to any head coach they will tell you that. I have kids in middle school and 1 in college now. Kids these days are not as committed as they were. They have too many other things they are into now. When we grew up there was nothing bigger than playing high school sports. I played in a small town and it was the biggest thing you do. Everybody knew you and knew you were on the team. Now a days kids are a little more maturer and into maturer things. They all drive cars, they all have cell phones, they all have computers, and they ALL seems to have MONEY. That always puzzles me! I think it is wise for the Coach Stevens to coach track. Not to mention he has mouths to feed. It isn't like he was paid what the other coaches were paid. (don't know if this is true.. but what I heard) -think about it.

Good Thoughts.

I hope it works.

We will see in the fall.

Ole Dad

QUOTE(boorelly @ Mar 15 2007 - 08:51 AM) 826412651[/snapback]In the 80's Austin East high school was nationally ranked in football. Sam Anderson was their coach. He won the state in Football and Track in the same year. That year he was both the head football coach and head track coach. I hear Stevens coached football and track at Austin East in 2001. He won the state championship. Usually a head coach at established programs are more managers. When you have great programs you have great assistance or an assistant who can run the program in the head coach absence. I hear talk about Minor being a head coach soon why can't he handle the off-season if it is planned by the head coach. It will prepare him for being a head coach and running a program. I would bet that it is already being done that way. Don't know Minor but from what I read and know about Stevens he must be very competent for controlling Stevens to trust his offense to him. It is done a lot of places. I think it is an advantage for the head coach to coach track. You get to keep up with your kids. Track can definetely get you faster. If you require your skill position guys to run track you benefit two ways. 1st they get faster. Secondly you can monitor them in other aspects. The biggest problem these days with kids is keeping them involved in the off season. You talk to any head coach they will tell you that. I have kids in middle school and 1 in college now. Kids these days are not as committed as they were. They have too many other things they are into now. When we grew up there was nothing bigger than playing high school sports. I played in a small town and it was the biggest thing you do. Everybody knew you and knew you were on the team. Now a days kids are a little more maturer and into maturer things. They all drive cars, they all have cell phones, they all have computers, and they ALL seems to have MONEY. That always puzzles me! I think it is wise for the Coach Stevens to coach track. Not to mention he has mouths to feed. It isn't like he was paid what the other coaches were paid. (don't know if this is true.. but what I heard) -think about it.

Why would Miner have to take over "head coaching" duties? Most HC's have a plan period to deal with most "head coaching" duties. Take recruiting for example. College coaches don't want to talk to Miner. They want to talk to the HC.

I think OleDad has blown this out of proportion, but I don't understand the logic that Miner or any assistant for that matter should fill in for the HC. If the HC wants to coach another sport, thats great. That should be secondary to his football duties. Running track will make your kids faster, but more schools have developed speed programs to make kids fast instead of relying on track.

Face it, high school boys like track because of high school girls.