Shot clock in Tennessee HS basketball

QUOTE(OS91 @ Mar 13 2007 - 11:27 AM) 826410269[/snapback]I just hope all Tenneseans who have issues with insomina attended the Class A championship game.

If they did, Gleason cured their condition.

It's insomnia, nutsack. But everyone can really get some sleep knowing oliver springs didnt come home with the gold ball.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make no mistake about it, If Glerason would have won playing "normal" basketball I would be the first to congratulate them. However, what their coach pulled was an embarrasment to Tennessee girls basketball which is typicall regarded as the pinnacle of girls high school basketball throughout the country.

Fans of the tourney deserved to see basketball played at its highest level exhibiting great plays by great players to decide a close game in the 4th Quarter on a stage as big as the State Championship game. Instead Gleason's coach delivering a boring brand of"stall ball" where he wanted free throws and officials to dictate who won the game playing "gimmick" brand of basketball usually only ran by inferior talented teams when playing a superior team.

Sounds to me like he was smart enough to take the other team out of their game. God help the coach for using strategy to win a game.

QUOTE(OS91 @ Mar 13 2007 - 12:27 PM) 826410269[/snapback]I just hope all Tenneseans who have issues with insomina attended the Class A championship game.

Well, except for those who got ahead, held their lead, and brought back the Gold Ball. But that wasn't Oliver Springs was it. I say if they're ahead in the same situation, OS does the same.

You win at ever legal cost, lose if you must at the state tournament. End of story.

Final score: Gleason 46, Oliver Springs 36. Nuff said. Congrats to Gleason, and Oliver Springs on great seasons. One team wasn't going to win. OS was that team.

QUOTE(OS91 @ Mar 13 2007 - 11:27 AM) 826410269[/snapback]I just hope all Tenneseans who have issues with insomina attended the Class A championship game.

I and a couple thousand Gleason fans had no problem staying awake. You were awake also, because you seem to be able to recite every second of the game. I will send you a GOLD BALL for being the biggest sore loser in 2007 on coacht. You may need a therapist to help you get over this. There is medicine to help lighten you up. Things will return to normal for you soon, Good luck. I bet 90% of the good people in Oliver Springs wish that you would just quit whining.

I don't think there is a need for a shot clock in HS Basketball. Has O.S. ever heard of a 1/2 court trap or press or pressure man 2 man? There were all kinds of things that they could have done to speed the game up! Fact is their defense was not as good a gleason's ball handling! GET OVER IT! I hope everyone that plays O.S. plays stall ball since it would cause an entire community to lose it's composure.....incidentally that is something that Gleason appeared to have an abundance of COMPOSURE!

Good Job Gleason and O.S.

O.S. Fan stop complaining about the game and just enjoy the fact you had a great season!

QUOTE(charliemurphy @ Mar 14 2007 - 09:37 AM) 826411294[/snapback]I don't think there is a need for a shot clock in HS Basketball. Has O.S. ever heard of a 1/2 court trap or press or pressure man 2 man? There were all kinds of things that they could have done to speed the game up! Fact is their defense was not as good a gleason's ball handling! GET OVER IT! I hope everyone that plays O.S. plays stall ball since it would cause an entire community to lose it's composure.....incidentally that is something that Gleason appeared to have an abundance of COMPOSURE!

Good Job Gleason and O.S.

O.S. Fan stop complaining about the game and just enjoy the fact you had a great season!

Very well said.

I saw Gleason play at another time (I didn't get to see the championship game), but one of my main remarks about them was that their patience on offense was amazing. Also, you're absolutely right about the types of defence that could have been tried. If it doesn't work, then I would say the better team was being sucessful in their game plan. Kayla Hudson is one of the most talented players I have ever seen, and I've been around a LONG time!!!

AAU coaches do not get fired if their team doesn't do well. They just spend more money and get better players. They don't teach any basketball skills, they just find good players and take them to tournaments so they can rub elbows with college coaches. There is a big difference in that and playing the cards you are dealt the way high school coaches have to do. High school coaches try to convince players to get on that yellow bus and give their all against a team 15 miles down the road after AAU coaches bought them shoes and uniforms and took them to Florida for a tournament and time on the beach. If you just want to see people run, go to a track meet.

The kids from Gleason bought in to the game plan. One heartbeat. They were not the most gifted athletes in the state tournament. But they were the best team and they had the best coach. That proved to be an unbeatable combination.

When coaches stop doing what's best for their team and start worrying how much the opposing fans are going to be entertained, there won't be any need for a state tournament. The game won't be any fun for anybody.

Girls basketball is fun to watch because it is still a team game. We don't need to mess with that.

I guess some of you don't like no-hitters, shutouts, or a defensive struggle in football either.

QUOTE(OS91 @ Mar 12 2007 - 06:32 PM) 826409394[/snapback]Gleason's coach put high school basketball back 50 years with his "stall ball" in the 4th quarter. A shot clock should be implemented by the TSSAA. Anytime a team that has only lost one game feels the need to stall with 6 minutes left in the game with just a 2 point lead is simply "bad basketball". Middle school teams with players that are just learning the rules of the game who are evolving into better players are teams that should maybe hold onto the ball for 2-4 minutes per possession in running an offense.

Make no mistake about it, If Glerason would have won playing "normal" basketball I would be the first to congratulate them. However, what their coach pulled was an embarrasment to Tennessee girls basketball which is typicall regarded as the pinnacle of girls high school basketball throughout the country.

Fans of the tourney deserved to see basketball played at its highest level exhibiting great plays by great players to decide a close game in the 4th Quarter on a stage as big as the State Championship game. Instead Gleason's coach delivering a boring brand of"stall ball" where he wanted free throws and officials to dictate who won the game playing "gimmick" brand of basketball usually only ran by inferior talented teams when playing a superior team.

I dont have a dog in this fight, but here is my opinion. Gleason learned from Forrest in 2006 thy did the same thing only more of it. They were not trying to score just play keep away. That is not how you play the game of basketball. If you people think it is then the only thing you have to teach the kids how to play keepaway and shoot foul shots. I learned to play that game in grade school. There would be no use for a shot clock if refs new how to call the 5 second rule. Probally half of the refs never even played the game or have a understanding of all the rules. If you go watch a state tittle game you expect to see more of a game than that . Sure thats a state title, but is that realy getting the kids ready for college ball, i dont think so. Tell me any other sport where you can stall the game. Cong to all the teams making it to state thats a feat all its on.

QUOTE(lightning II @ Mar 15 2007 - 05:37 PM) 826413213[/snapback]I dont have a dog in this fight, but here is my opinion. Gleason learned from Forrest in 2006 thy did the same thing only more of it. They were not trying to score just play keep away. That is not how you play the game of basketball. If you people think it is then the only thing you have to teach the kids how to play keepaway and shoot foul shots. I learned to play that game in grade school. There would be no use for a shot clock if refs new how to call the 5 second rule. Probally half of the refs never even played the game or have a understanding of all the rules. If you go watch a state tittle game you expect to see more of a game than that . Sure thats a state title, but is that realy getting the kids ready for college ball, i dont think so. Tell me any other sport where you can stall the game. Cong to all the teams making it to state thats a feat all its on.

So you don't think that teaching kids to make good passes, hit foul shots, handle the ball, be patient on offense, and listen to and respect their coach is getting them ready to play college ball?!?!?! Bless your heart, you need a little lesson in basketball fundamentals. That's what the game is all about.

Old 44,

How many of the kids will actually play college ball?

There is no need for a shot clock! The Gleason coach did not set ball back 50 years he used a smart approach to a major problem. How to contain Oliver Springs.

Look OS likes to run so if you are smart you take the opposite approach and make them not only beat your kids, but your style of ball. I think Gleason Coach was very smart in what he did. There was nothing stopping OS from slowing things down when they took the lead in the 3rd. Let it go! We don't need a shot clock!