Shot clock in Tennessee HS basketball

QUOTE(bigdave25 @ Mar 16 2007 - 11:01 AM) 826414043[/snapback]Old 44,

How many of the kids will actually play college ball?

There is no need for a shot clock! The Gleason coach did not set ball back 50 years he used a smart approach to a major problem. How to contain Oliver Springs.

Look OS likes to run so if you are smart you take the opposite approach and make them not only beat your kids, but your style of ball. I think Gleason Coach was very smart in what he did. There was nothing stopping OS from slowing things down when they took the lead in the 3rd. Let it go! We don't need a shot clock!

Bigdave,

I don't know if you understood my post. I see no need for a shot clock in high school basketball. Heck, I kind of liked it when Dean Smith used to pull out and run the 4 corners. Basically, 1% of high school basketball players will go on to college. Not too many. My point is this; when a team slows the ball down to control a game, it shows discipline and fundamental skills. I was responding to lightning II post that this was not getting them ready for college ball. I do not know any coach, high school or college, who does not appreciate discipline and fundamental skills.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we need one. It doesnt even have to be 40 sec. it should be 30 and I believe anyone who has seen these state games in the past two weeks would agree. It would be beneficial for those athletes about to go into collegiate sports also. We have a shot clock in AAU why not in high school ball. These players have to learn to play with a shot clock some time or another especially if they want to play college ball so why not start now and give them the experience they need. Even the refs been saying high school ball needs a shot clock the past two weeks at the state tourneys. This is defintely something to look into getting. It's time we get back to wanting the best for our players and those who just plain love the game! Lets get back to changing players lives and prepare those athletes for what could be (for some) an outstanding future. Hey why not have this change for the upcoming season TSSAA is changing all the other rules and regulations (that they havent giving a good explanation for) in preparation for next year anyways. Whats one more change going to hurt???

QUOTE(coach_mac @ Mar 17 2007 - 12:47 AM) 826415088[/snapback]Yes we need one. It doesnt even have to be 40 sec. it should be 30 and I believe anyone who has seen these state games in the past two weeks would agree. It would be beneficial for those athletes about to go into collegiate sports also. We have a shot clock in AAU why not in high school ball. These players have to learn to play with a shot clock some time or another especially if they want to play college ball so why not start now and give them the experience they need. Even the refs been saying high school ball needs a shot clock the past two weeks at the state tourneys. This is defintely something to look into getting. It's time we get back to wanting the best for our players and those who just plain love the game! Lets get back to changing players lives and prepare those athletes for what could be (for some) an outstanding future. Hey why not have this change for the upcoming season TSSAA is changing all the other rules and regulations (that they havent giving a good explanation for) in preparation for next year anyways. Whats one more change going to hurt???

Coach Mac,

All I hear you saying is let's run up and down the floor. That may be fine for AAU basketball coaches who get to pick their team from a number of schools, but when you are limited to just the kids at your school it makes a big difference. How stupid would it be to take slow kids and try to run all night. If you have only 5 or 6 players that can play that might influence your style of play. Why do the best athletes have to every rule advantage to win? Press or trap or figure out a way to speed up the game to give your team an advantage and quit whining about a shot clock.

Discipline and fundamental do not = slow. /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

Do racer car drive(NEXTEL) go slow. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Slow playing teams just loose slower. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

LADY WARRIORS STATE CHAMPS. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(Seacactus @ Mar 17 2007 - 09:48 AM) 826415219[/snapback]Coach Mac,

All I hear you saying is let's run up and down the floor. That may be fine for AAU basketball coaches who get to pick their team from a number of schools, but when you are limited to just the kids at your school it makes a big difference. How stupid would it be to take slow kids and try to run all night. If you have only 5 or 6 players that can play that might influence your style of play. Why do the best athletes have to every rule advantage to win? Press or trap or figure out a way to speed up the game to give your team an advantage and quit whining about a shot clock.

For one there is no whining here! There are pros and cons to having a shot clock but wouldn't this help some of the slower players skills. Are you saying slower players don't need the experience because they are not as quick as another person on the team? That would be degrading the players abilities would it not? As far as influencing style of play, its all about finding the right technique to get down the floor and to get a shot off and playing D. These athletes need this learning experience. As far as AAU most teams use their high school team and make it into an AAU team to strenghten them as a whole. And as far as pressing or trapping another team to speed things up um didnt you mention that it would be stupid to take slow kids and try to run them all night? I believe you did! So what is the difference between having the slower players doing this and having a shot clock?

While we are changing rules lets do away with the 23 zone, no pressing, and certainly no dribbling. How many college coaches have ever recruited a kid and wanted to know if they can play a stand and rest 23 zone. You want them to play on offense , lets make them defend also.

You people still crying about a shot clock.. Get a life..

First off, let me say this, for all the fans that found the game boring because Gleason played stall ball or whatever you choose to call their domination on offense. I was at all three games and although I didn't do a head count I can tell you that by percentage Gleason had the most fans. I think I can speak for most Gleason people when I say we found the game very exciting. Since we had the biggest % of fans in the stands, I will assume our opinions are the only ones that truly matters.

I seen another post where a person I stated, "I believe a shot clock whould help our team". Why? Probably because they can't play denfense.

There is one simple solution. Teach kids to play better defense and how to overcome a team that is running a 3 or 4 minute offense. Stop making excuse for those teams that can't play good defense. Why change the way every school in Tennessee plays to help those few teams that can't play defense.

If I was your parent and you came home kicking, screaming, and crying the same that you have on here about how Gleason made the game boring and won because there was no shot clock. I would beat your butt and send you to your room for making up such a poor excuse for losing.

OS had a great season, wins 2nd in the state, takes home a silver ball and eight days later instead of enjoying their accomplishments they have fans still crying.... What is this COACHTDAYCARE?

QUOTE(10teamdistrictisajoke @ Mar 11 2007 - 10:37 AM) 826407992[/snapback]The shot clock is for teams that can't guard anybody. Teach your kids how to play defense and stop whining about teams with better fundamentals. Gleason took good shots and didn't force anything all week. That's why we are having a reception at 2:30 for the 2007 Class A State Champs at Gleason High!

so you're saying shot clocks in college and professional is simply because they can't guard?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

QUOTE(bulldawg-fan @ Mar 18 2007 - 03:40 PM) 826416423[/snapback]You people still crying about a shot clock.. Get a life..

First off, let me say this, for all the fans that found the game boring because Gleason played stall ball or whatever you choose to call their domination on offense. I was at all three games and although I didn't do a head count I can tell you that by percentage Gleason had the most fans. I think I can speak for most Gleason people when I say we found the game very exciting. Since we had the biggest % of fans in the stands, I will assume our opinions are the only ones that truly matters.

I seen another post where a person I stated, "I believe a shot clock whould help our team". Why? Probably because they can't play denfense.

There is one simple solution. Teach kids to play better defense and how to overcome a team that is running a 3 or 4 minute offense. Stop making excuse for those teams that can't play good defense. Why change the way every school in Tennessee plays to help those few teams that can't play defense.

If I was your parent and you came home kicking, screaming, and crying the same that you have on here about how Gleason made the game boring and won because there was no shot clock. I would beat your butt and send you to your room for making up such a poor excuse for losing.

OS had a great season, wins 2nd in the state, takes home a silver ball and eight days later instead of enjoying their accomplishments they have fans still crying.... What is this COACHTDAYCARE?

WE CHANGED THE TIE UP FROM A JUMP BALL EVERY TIME TO EVERY OTHER POSSESSION

WE CHANGED FROM SIX ON SIX TO FIVE ON FIVE

WE ADDED THE THREE POINT SHOT

WE ADDED THE FIVE SECOND RULE ETC ETC

WHY NOT MAKE ANOTHER CHANGE ???

so i ask again to you like i did the other ---- shot clock is in college and pros so you think they can't guard !! i don't think so !!!!!!!1

you're just use to YOUR team stalling the ball ---

i really hate that type of play -- -and i hate softball players who intentionally walk

that's my opinion

Discipline and fundamental do not = slow.

No, it does not unless that is the way your coach tells you to play.

Do racer car drive(NEXTEL) go slow.

No, but they do let off the pedal every now and then.

Slow playing teams just loose slower.

Or win by scoring more points than the other team.

LADY WARRIORS STATE CHAMPS. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />