Illegal substitution in girls class A championship game.

basketballjunkie

Alls that I am saying is that everyone seems to be finding something wrong with Coach Frazier and there is no reason to. The man knows what he is doing. If there was anyone at fault it was the officials for allowing the players back in the game. They are the ones that made the mistake, not the Gleason girls. Everyone needs to stop trying to take away from their victory.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hopalot @ Mar 12 2007 - 12:21 PM) 826409031[/snapback]statstracker---

Actually the rule above has a comma(,) between the simple substitution and a substitution for equipment.

The rule (as quoted) is correct.

There was a violation. It was not caught by the officials. Didn't make a difference in final outcome more than likely.

And it's Naismith.

Guys, go back and watch the tape again. The subs come in to the game, turn the ball over on their first possession and Oliver Springs hits a three. On the next inbounds, the ball gets tied up for a jump ball and Oliver Springs gets possession. The starters THEN returned, LEGALLY, into the game. Time DID elapse. It stands still for nobody. There was no violation, only wishful thinking. The better team won. And no, I could care less which team it was. Congrats to both teams for getting there.

no violation occured.

the Gleason coach was trying to put the girls back in, and from watching on TV, the official told him - no....he'd have to wait until the next dead ball.

So he used a 30 and made the sub.

The OS coach was upset and asked about it and appeared to have gotten an explanation.

I've seen the same thing happen the same way with an injury. Player is shaken up, requiring the trainer to come out, but player is able to continue. But because trainer hit the court, the player must come out. I've seen coaches burn a timeout to keep a player in the game.

I have called games and coached them both, I have been in on many rules meetings. Unless they have changed the rules totally in the last year, which they have not, I can bet those three officials will not be working a state tournament again. It was an illegal substitution, and calling the time out does not allow it either. Time has to run off the clock. The only one Gleason's coach could have put back in was the Hudson girl, because he took her out the possession before. Would it have had an outcome on the game, if a technical had been called probably not. But I do not blame Gleason's coach, this is all on those three referees and the official score keeper, I cannot believe that none of these, "professionals" caught it.

I have been around high school basketball for MANY years. I do know the rules on substitution, but I did not see the game. If the coach called the timeout to get the girls back into the game then it was an illegal substitution. Time must run off the clock before a player may reenter the game after a sustitute has legally entered.

Coachgat, time did elapse because after Gleason's entire starting 5 came off the floor Gleason threw the ball in bounds and there was a loose ball scramble that resulted in a jump ball... The reason there was even a question by the officials is because they did not know if Gleason's starters got to the scorer's table in time to be re-inserted so Gleason called a timeout. Everything there was legal, get a tape of the game and a rule book.

You people need to drop this. First of all, the game is over. Secondly, what do you want to happen? Would you be happy if the TSSAA came to Gleason took the gold ball and gave it to OS? Like that is going to happen! Anyway, only a true loser would want win a state championship like that. How about we just all go back to MTSU and replay the entire game? Just congratulate both teams on a great season and lets look towards next season. The players on the floor have more maturity than some of the so called adults that are posting on this board. Grow up!

First it was bad calls and refs.

Then it was Gleason's "Stall Ball" tactic that OS says is unfair and boring.

Now, this illegal substitution deal.

Can you OS fans drop it???? Are you absolutely out of your minds????

Are ALL OS fans this way??