Dobyns-Bennett Football

DBTeepee

If R1 5A were stronger, I would agree with you. If you're not going to change coaches then play tougher teams or whatever else it takes. Perhaps you are right. Unless we get a stronger head coach, not even a stronger schedule will help.

And playing Maryville or Farragut, etc wouldn't do either of these?

No he won't. He's too busy dreaming up Clarkisms. Or playing lead singer in local bands.

Are you sure you go to DB? You must have skipped all your English classes. But you seem to be right about one thing - he can't coach the big games. Up to this point I think he's been given some slack. I don't think that will last. You can probably expect to see a new assistant principal if it continues this year. That seems to happen to the has beens.

DBGRAD...You should be old enough to remember Harry Frye. Yes? He was an ICON. Yes!? Don't you think, given the circumstances, paramaters, and resources available that Grahm Clark should have achieved at least a glimpse of what Harry did by now? And Harry did it with so much less...of everything...except community support. He was a God. If R1 5A were stronger...Ha! C'mon now...How do you build something? Think! You start at the footers and go up! Yes? Well, if we are putting the roof on and it keeps falling off then maybe we did something wrong back at the footers. Or maybe the wind is just blowing to hard. Or maybe someone is afraid of heights now. Or maybe there is an issue the commoners are just not aware of. Could be. So, to give a good and successful man the benefit of the doubt give him another year to sort it out. Ask him what he needs. You never know...he may need something. Then, according to what I read, you people will have to make a decision. Don't tarry...it has been long enough. And quit crying that it is a down year for the Tribe. I mean you got Sly, Jamie Crawford, Micheal Willis, the skinny white dude...#14 I think. He was a shifty backup RB. The Ring kid. You ain't that down. You call that down! You better git down! Git down to business! A great coach ain't never down...he's just young. And you ain't young. What I see is you already got your replacement on the staff. A pretty good DC been on the staff for quite a while. Yes? I mean, I really don't know yall's situation. He seems like a really good coach. He always produces something good with whatever he has. I just know one thing...last year you had the jewels. You got too big for your britches. I feel for you and your situation. You should be the ICON...by now. It seems so long ago now but my son almost came there...we made the right decision. I hope you have a great season. I hope we represent Kingsport the way we should. I hope Mr. Clark rises to the occasion. And you know what...I hope you play Maryville!

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let's see here, D-B is down, but they have kids with heart, but most of those kids don't really have heart and they really aren't down, they aren't young, but don't have any experience...the Indians just don't have a coach...playing the best 4A schools in NET is not good enough competition, they must play teams from the middle of the state or at least the best 4A school in the Knoxville area...Oak Ridge is only sort of good competition, I mean, hey, last year they lost some games (and we won't consider the fact that after losing to D-B on their home field at full strength, they had numerous injuries to key players including their outstanding QB)...D-B has been to the playoffs something like 14 years in a row and the only time in that period they didn't win the conference it was won by the team that won the state, but didn't D-B beat that team in the regular season that year?...I could have a bad memory, I am old...and D-B has lost in the first round 3 times in those 14 years?...what schools can even lay claim to the playoffs for 14 consecutive years?...Riverdale, Maryville?...I am sure there are more and yes they both have championships, so yeah, D-B just doesn't have a coach...unbelievable...someone go back and look at the tape of last year's loss, you will see two TDs that were called back that should not have been - the calls on the field didn't accurately depict what actually took place; but that happens...was that bad coaching?...no, bad officiating...after a spectacular 40 plus yard pass and catch put the ball on the four, the final four plays of the game were bad, no doubt...but the game shouldn't have come down to that situation, yet it did...

and you guys ragging on D-B's coach should then look at your own head men, as they can't, couldn't, and haven't beaten

D-B, so what does that say about all the coaches at all those schools?...I guess everybody needs a coach...oh, yeah wait, the Hill has one...

Roll Tribe Roll

compusatman,

Michael Willis isn't playing, the back-up RB I think you are referring to isn't playing (just playing baseball), Ring is the QB, Crawford will be in a reserve role at a couple of positions...

how far down should you think down should be before it is a reality?...there were quite a few three year starters that graduated last year and a large number of two year starters, so D-B has a good crew of guys (who I believe in to do their best) who take coaching well, but have very little experience and that factor has been an reason for the fans of virtually every school represented on this board to explain a loss (or more)...I don't know of anyone that sees D-B having a losing record, but probably don't expect an undefeated one either...last year's expectations were that high, so from that standpoint, down would be the direction of expectations...maybe they are more realistic expectations...I don't know...

Who do you expect to win the Region 1 4A race?...what were your expectations last year, were they met?

Roll Tribe Roll

Well let's see here, D-B is down, but they have kids with heart, but most of those kids don't really have heart and they really aren't down, they aren't young, but don't have any experience...the Indians just don't have a coach...playing the best 4A schools in NET is not good enough competition, they must play teams from the middle of the state or at least the best 4A school in the Knoxville area...Oak Ridge is only sort of good competition, I mean, hey, last year they lost some games (and we won't consider the fact that after losing to D-B on their home field at full strength, they had numerous injuries to key players including their outstanding QB)...D-B has been to the playoffs something like 14 years in a row and the only time in that period they didn't win the conference it was won by the team that won the state, but didn't D-B beat that team in the regular season that year?...I could have a bad memory, I am old...and D-B has lost in the first round 3 times in those 14 years?...what schools can even lay claim to the playoffs for 14 consecutive years?...Riverdale, Maryville?...I am sure there are more and yes they both have championships, so yeah, D-B just doesn't have a coach...unbelievable...someone go back and look at the tape of last year's loss, you will see two TDs that were called back that should not have been - the calls on the field didn't accurately depict what actually took place; but that happens...was that bad coaching?...no, bad officiating...after a spectacular 40 plus yard pass and catch put the ball on the four, the final four plays of the game were bad, no doubt...but the game shouldn't have come down to that situation, yet it did...

and you guys ragging on D-B's coach should then look at your own head men, as they can't, couldn't, and haven't beaten

D-B, so what does that say about all the coaches at all those schools?...I guess everybody needs a coach...oh, yeah wait, the Hill has one...

Roll Tribe Roll

GREAT POST!

When I started hearing about how down the Indians were going to be this year I got a little gleam in my eye. Seems like when DB starts out weak they end up strong. For some reason they don't seem so hungry when they start out ranked #1 or end up ranked #1 entering the playoffs. The year they lost in the simi's to Riverdale (2001 or 2002, can't remember) I think was their best team. If you remember before the first game people were saying "worst DB team ever" The first game was against MBA and it went to 3 overtimes before MBA pulled it out. I think after 5 games DB had 2 wins and 3 loses. The coaching staff stayed after it and made a very good team out of what was not a very good team. I have seen the staff at DB do this more than once. I just think it wakes up the staff and the players when DB is on the weak side and they work harder and stay hungry the entire season. I think when the chips are down at DB this pride thing comes into play. I haven't seen anything like it at any other school.

Mr. Crazy, from what I can gather from your posts, you were a senior last year and you don't think that DB will be as good in football after your class left... well I'm not saying that your wrong or right (well have to see what they do on the field to judge that) but I will say that most graduates have the same feeling about the team the year after they leave. You have practiced with the younger kids and are remembering how they were the year you played.... but these players have had an entire year to get in the weight room and get bigger and stronger, they've had a whole year to run to get faster, they're a year more mature, and not to mention many of them will be motivated by now being seniors and/or a chance to play... Whether Clark can win the big game or not is up for debate, but I will say this about the DB coaching staff... they can get the kids ready to play better than anybody I've ever seen...

compusatman Posted on: Jul 9 2007 - 10:02 AM

Economics drive who each school plays. You should know this. It's a regional thing also...i.e. our local brethern playing each other. I mean, other than a game or two, we should be playing our local competition. Now if you want to play Riverdale or Maryville then fine but I have a better idea.

How in anybodies imagination could playing any of the teams you mentioned (Central, Johnson Co, or South) do anything towards preparing any aspect of DB football (players, coaches, or even fans) for what they will face in the 5A State Playoffs????????! Anyone remotely close to competitive sports realizes that playing better (superior) competition raises your level (or standard) of competition making you more competitive.

Maybe I totally missed the point you were trying to make with that statement.

compusatman Posted on: Jul 9 2007 - 10:02 AM

When the coach performs on a grand scale then buy him a car give him some perks...whatever...to show appreciation. When he can't get the job...is mediocre'...or is just .500 then cut him loose and hire someone with a vision. Don't just talk about how terrible it is on CoachT but instead raise a little Hades. Make demands...band together and get something accomplished. I'm proud of Science Hill for attempting to do just this. Will they be successful? Time will tell. But even they waited too long! Eight years...give me a break. Look, we all have the athletes! Not just DB...or Morristown...or South every 10 years. Even Central...especially Central has athletes. Look at Johnson County. It's the coaches that is the problem! A school has a winning program it is because of the coaches...they have a losing program it's because of the coaches. Period!

That is Ludicrous!!!! I’m sorry but I’m a true believer that a coach can only play the hand that they are dealt…and sometimes that hand can only take you so far regardless of how you play it or who’s playing it. Case and point. In Science Hill…personally I think (and so do most) that their last coach had winning cards but he simply didn’t know how to play them. In Centrals case…Steve Spurrier himself could be playing the cards and I don’t think the outcome would be much different then it has been at this time. Yes Central, South and Johnson County have good athletes occasionally but to insinuate that they have the multitude of athletes at the same level year after year that DB or Morristown has, leads me to believe that either you are in denial; or you had a few before you logged on. To judge the level of a school’s athleticism I feel you need to look across the board at all sport…not just football. Johnson County football is known for its tenacious hard nose football, with a never give up mentality…not their athleticism…sorry to bust the bubble.

compusatman,

Michael Willis isn't playing, the back-up RB I think you are referring to isn't playing (just playing baseball), Ring is the QB, Crawford will be in a reserve role at a couple of positions...

how far down should you think down should be before it is a reality?...there were quite a few three year starters that graduated last year and a large number of two year starters, so D-B has a good crew of guys (who I believe in to do their best) who take coaching well, but have very little experience and that factor has been an reason for the fans of virtually every school represented on this board to explain a loss (or more)...I don't know of anyone that sees D-B having a losing record, but probably don't expect an undefeated one either...last year's expectations were that high, so from that standpoint, down would be the direction of expectations...maybe they are more realistic expectations...I don't know...

Who do you expect to win the Region 1 4A race?...what were your expectations last year, were they met?

Roll Tribe Roll

Last year we heard Willis moved to South Carolina. Last week we heard he was playing. We also heard Crawford would be the starter (even though we know that is against Clarks grain). What about Justin? Is he all you have? Last years expectations? We were convinced we would beat DB and at least make it to the quarterfinals. In retrospect, we had too large an ego. Stacy got schooled by Graham and MEast. We lost our center and our starting TB in week 1. We had no team leadership. The Region 1 4A race this year? No, fate has a way of slapping you. I'll let the team speak for itself. As far as the previous posts are concerned, I think the common consensus is that the people complaining (myself being one) can't accept that East and Middle Tennessee are so superior to NET when it comes to football. I for one believe wholeheartedly that it is a coaching issue. Some schools are making headway in this regard. As for DB, they ARE successful...historically. Yes, they have a great track record. Who could ask for more? Yet I think that more is exactly what is being asked for. To be on par with East and Middle Tennessee. Does Clark have the ability to give more? Yes. I think he would like to be remembered as a state championship coach. Will it happen? I think the answer is yes. How can you consistently get to the playoffs and not get to finals? He will get there. I think it is imperitive though that the rest of NET step up to the plate. Science Hill has acknowledged this and taken action. Not to everyones liking but if they are happy with it then so be it. South is learning how to be better. I can hack on the Rebels because I am one. Our problem is that we always had the talent to go far we just needed a coach that would crack some eggs and crack a whip. Is Stacy that coach? Last year was his defining education. '07 is his defining moment. I have confidence in him. THS? It is time for Bristol to return to their barbaric tradition. Long overdue. Is coach Stubbs the man for the job? How about Ralph at East? His brother at Central? Jenkins at DBoone? Rider at Volunteer? Whitten at 'Betsy? The point is DB needs help. They need help to put NET on the map. They need the rest of us to step up. Then the salaries will come. The fans will come. The notariety will come and the competiton will be there. My take is quit waiting around and make it happen. We've pondered long enough. Who must take action? The fans, the parents, the community...everyone. Ever been to a Friday nite game in Maryville? How about when they play Alcoa? Why, they have special water down there? Good vitamins? Are they all of Russian decent? They are no better than we are! Their coaches are better. They have an agenda. And that is to win state championships. It's a disease down there and everyone has it. We all need that disease. It might even change how we work live and love...and yes how we worship. My point is: we are complacent. We are comfortable. We don't want to rock the boat. Then staus quo is what you get. Want more...give more. Rebel Nation

How in anybodies imagination could playing any of the teams you mentioned (Central, Johnson Co, or South) do anything towards preparing any aspect of DB football (players, coaches, or even fans) for what they will face in the 5A State Playoffs????????! Anyone remotely close to competitive sports realizes that playing better (superior) competition raises your level (or standard) of competition making you more competitive.

Maybe I totally missed the point you were trying to make with that statement.

That is Ludicrous!!!! I’m sorry but I’m a true believer that a coach can only play the hand that they are dealt…and sometimes that hand can only take you so far regardless of how you play it or who’s playing it. Case and point. In Science Hill…personally I think (and so do most) that their last coach had winning cards but he simply didn’t know how to play them. In Centrals case…Steve Spurrier himself could be playing the cards and I don’t think the outcome would be much different then it has been at this time. Yes Central, South and Johnson County have good athletes occasionally but to insinuate that they have the multitude of athletes at the same level year after year that DB or Morristown has, leads me to believe that either you are in denial; or you had a few before you logged on. To judge the level of a school’s athleticism I feel you need to look across the board at all sport…not just football. Johnson County football is known for its tenacious hard nose football, with a never give up mentality…not their athleticism…sorry to bust the bubble.

I disagree Cap. I believe a great coach can work miracles.

compusatman,

we will just have to agree to disagree on a few subjects...I don't think east and middle are "better" as if it is an automatic...you probably don't think D-B was "better" two years ago against South, yet the Indians won...

Blount County has an open school policy...one example; one of Alcoa's WR/DB's lives within viewing distance of Knoxville Karns High School, yet is able to play @ Alcoa...many other examples of this open policy have been discussed on coachT (similar situation was in play in Memphis, Shelby County, that led to basketball situations like that of White Station being able to load up on many of the best and tallest)...

publicity is better in other parts of the state for individual athletes, more AAU exposure, recruiting "experts" living in the bigger city markets and making money by promoting some of their own over others they truly haven't seen enough to evaluate...

the "map" has been dictated by statements such as D-B always loses in the first round and the other teams could assist in repositioning the map by being more consistent, but then that takes a program being in place and that has so many variables (coaches, AD, fan support, parental support, school board attention and money, players with talent and work ethic, just to name a few)...

why is it that we are suppose to except the sentence that says Region 1 5A (the Big East) is a weak conference?...since the 5 classifications have been set, how many Knoxville or east TN teams have won the conference?...Sevier County has...Knoxville schools haven't, nor did the Blount County schools when they were in it (Karns, South-Doyle, William Blount, Heritage?)...in fact how many Knoxville schools have won Region 2 5A?...normally it is Oak Ridge...so why are we supposed to just say okay they are better?...D-B played MBA two straight years and split with them, and the game D-B lost went four overtimes and D-B was playing without fours starters who left with cramps and one starter whose knee exploded on the second half kickoff and another stater who injured an ankle, yet it went 4 OTs to decide...and MBA was in the private school championship game both of those years (best of my recollection)...who was better?...

Maryville High School is different from other 4A programs...and Mo West has been real good over the past few years, but who else in Region 2 4A have been consistently better than South, Tennessee High, and Elizabethton (especially under Coach Rider)?...now Mo East won last year in the playoffs and were better on that given day, but I just refuse to say Region 1 4A or 5A are of a lesser stature.

Roll Tribe Roll

The point is DB needs help. They need help to put NET on the map. They need the rest of us to step up. Then the salaries will come. The fans will come. The notariety will come and the competiton will be there. My take is quit waiting around and make it happen. We've pondered long enough. Who must take action? The fans, the parents, the community...everyone. Ever been to a Friday nite game in Maryville? How about when they play Alcoa? Why, they have special water down there? Good vitamins? Are they all of Russian decent? They are no better than we are! Their coaches are better. They have an agenda. And that is to win state championships. It's a disease down there and everyone has it. We all need that disease. It might even change how we work live and love...and yes how we worship. My point is: we are complacent. We are comfortable. We don't want to rock the boat. Then staus quo is what you get. Want more...give more. Rebel Nation

Maaaaaan...I couldn't think of a truer statement than that!!! Compusatman South should get you in the locker room before games to set the tone for the night!!! Excellent point!! My answer to your question is YES!!!! In ’04 THS made the trip to Maryville. Unbelievable atmosphere from the football team to the band to the cheerleaders to the fans!!!! The football tradition in Maryville is just out of this world. It’s not that their coaches are so much better…it’s their whole system (tradition) that is heads and shoulders above NET schools (although DB is the closes comparison). Are their players better or more skilled (athletic) than ours…my jury is still out on that. But one thing is for sure the competitive mentality of their players’ way overshadows that of the majority of the players (that I have an opportunity to see or be around)…that could probably be attributed to coaching. One thing that stood out in my mind as we were getting our flogging in ’04, (and by the way, this was after demolishing the competition in this region by an average of almost 40 points a game) was that these kids fly to the ball on every play. I never saw less than three or four players involved on any given tackle, and in most cases practically the entire team was around the ball when the play came to an end. Is it that our coaches don’t teach this basic concept, or are our players simple not conditioned to give that kind of effort on every play? However the one thing that you can’t overlook is the fact that Maryville sends more players to major colleges and universities on a regular basis than our entire conference seems to be able to filter through (that’s a fact). Can you seriously blame that on coaching? Maryville sets the bar high and challenges there kids to reach it. If you can’t…you simple don’t play. Here I think many times we reward mediocre thus lowering our standers (the bar) and the ability for us to compete out side our region. In ’04 our kids and coaches were visible stunned to find out that after swimming backwards threw the shallow waters of the conference and regional pool…they were quickly drowning on the deep end of the pool! To loose simply is not an option at Maryville…and it’s definitely not exceptable. I don’t think they go into any game thinking that there is a chance they could loose (that includes the coaching staff, players, and especially the fans and the community).

Maaaaaan...I couldn't think of a truer statement than that!!! Compusatman South should get you in the locker room before games to set the tone for the night!!! Excellent point!! My answer to your question is YES!!!! In ’04 THS made the trip to Maryville. Unbelievable atmosphere from the football team to the band to the cheerleaders to the fans!!!! The football tradition in Maryville is just out of this world. It’s not that their coaches are so much better…it’s their whole system (tradition) that is heads and shoulders above NET schools (although DB is the closes comparison). Are their players better or more skilled (athletic) than ours…my jury is still out on that. But one thing is for sure the competitive mentality of their players’ way overshadows that of the majority of the players (that I have an opportunity to see or be around)…that could probably be attributed to coaching. One thing that stood out in my mind as we were getting our flogging in ’04, (and by the way, this was after demolishing the competition in this region by an average of almost 40 points a game) was that these kids fly to the ball on every play. I never saw less than three or four players involved on any given tackle, and in most cases practically the entire team was around the ball when the play came to an end. Is it that our coaches don’t teach this basic concept, or are our players simple not conditioned to give that kind of effort on every play? However the one thing that you can’t overlook is the fact that Maryville sends more players to major colleges and universities on a regular basis than our entire conference seems to be able to filter through (that’s a fact). Can you seriously blame that on coaching? Maryville sets the bar high and challenges there kids to reach it. If you can’t…you simple don’t play. Here I think many times we reward mediocre thus lowering our standers (the bar) and the ability for us to compete out side our region. In ’04 our kids and coaches were visible stunned to find out that after swimming backwards threw the shallow waters of the conference and regional pool…they were quickly drowning on the deep end of the pool! To loose simply is not an option at Maryville…and it’s definitely not expectable. I don’t think they go into any game thinking that there is a chance they could loose (that includes the coaching staff, players, and especially the fans and the community).

Cap1, nice comments. The Vikes had Plan A but no Plan B that night. Maryville has been on the winning ways for a while now. Their people maybe can come on here and tell you more about the reasons why this is on such a long run. The D1 level players are not the reason. There haven't been many of those. Much more a team effort. Coaching? Talent? Community? Expectations? I believe its a magical combination of all the above. They are blessed.And worth the trip for a home game (looks like the stadium might get some additional seats when one of the school expansions is approved).