East Tennessee Basketball Pretty Darn Good

mocs30

QUOTE(wuzupdoc @ Mar 21 2007 - 03:35 PM) 826419565[/snapback]I'm not fully convinced that the west is better than the east.

On any given night, I think that a team like Maryville could beat Liberty.

We've already established that in class 1A that the west is not better than the east.

I think there is a little bit different style of basketball played throughout the state, but that's part of the game.

Either you run and gun (and don't play defense), or you play a controlled offense (with good defense).

I think that makes the difference between having a game where a team scores 100 points and others where you only score 50.

Teams like Liberty, DC, & UC run and gun AND probably play some of the stiffest defense the state has to offer.

The fast pace, offensive transition points are created off of TURNOVERS!!!

Here, I will give an easy example for you that hopefully you can relate to:

TN plays what some would call a fast pace, "run-in-gun" style of ball. Under your description of this style of play, they have no defense. Don't you realize that most of the fast break points are directly contributed to turnovers which a suffocating defense caused??

You simply cannot say that a team only does either or. If you really feel this way, you just showed your low basketball IQ.

Wait a minute...Now I just read the part about you saying a team like Maryville beating Liberty. You really do have a low b-ball IQ.

You can't be serious about this are you????

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(3153 @ Mar 21 2007 - 04:27 PM) 826419603[/snapback]Teams like Liberty, DC, & UC run and gun AND probably play some of the stiffest defense the state has to offer.

TN plays what some would call a fast pace, "run-in-gun" style of ball. Under your description of this style of play, they have no defense. Don't you realize that most of the fast break points are directly contributed to turnovers which a suffocating defense caused??

You simply cannot say that a team only does either or. If you really feel this way, you just showed your low basketball IQ.

Wait a minute...Now I just read the part about you saying a team like Maryville beating Liberty. You really do have a low b-ball IQ.

Liberty would DRILL Maryville....Maryville does not have near the team speed to keep up with Anthony Sampson, Antwaun and Jewuan Long, Josh Sain...I'm curious if these people saying Maryville would even have a shot at beating Liberty have gotten to see Liberty play this year...If Maryville makes it back next year I'm sure Liberty will be right there with them....Even after Liberty loses all these guys let's see next year what Maryville can do with them...It might be a closer game next year!!

QUOTE(GCPioneer @ Mar 21 2007 - 03:40 PM) 826419613[/snapback]Liberty would DRILL Maryville....Maryville does not have near the team speed to keep up with Anthony Sampson, Antwaun and Jewuan Long, Josh Sain...I'm curious if these people saying Maryville would even have a shot at beating Liberty have gotten to see Liberty play this year...If Maryville makes it back next year I'm sure Liberty will be right there with them....Even after Liberty loses all these guys let's see next year what Maryville can do with them...It might be a closer game next year!!

Who knows until they play. Set it up and see for sure. Liberty is awesome. And Maryville is used to playing the underdog. Should be a easy win for Liberty like all the rest of Maryville's opponents this season. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

QUOTE(REBELRON @ Mar 21 2007 - 02:22 PM) 826419517[/snapback]Pretty classless statement if you ask me. Maryville would have gave Liberty a better game then Mitchell or Dyer County would. Every team in the AAA tourney would have beaten Mitchell or Dyer County. Liberty was a great team.

I would hope so.....but I doubt it. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(3153 @ Mar 21 2007 - 04:27 PM) 826419603[/snapback]Teams like Liberty, DC, & UC run and gun AND probably play some of the stiffest defense the state has to offer.

Don't do that.....putting Liberty in the same sentence with DC, UC, and (while I'm at it.)...Maryville. That's not very smart.

Share with us some more of your IQ......what would your (Maryville) plan be against "The Starting Five", ''The Bench" , "The Coaches....Willaims and Green".....and last but not least...."The Managers". Let's hear it!!!!

Maryville is too slow......slow I'm telling you. I don't have to set up a game to know who would win. Maryville is too slow....they would be in the way. There would be 25 or more turnovers.....which would result in 50 points or more. It would get very ugly....quick. Do you plan to send out a couple of people on "The Point Guard" Anthony Sampson? Then what would you do when he dribbles out and goes to the hole?

I'm sorry....I'm supposed to let you do the talking now..............

QUOTE(mocs30 @ Mar 18 2007 - 12:36 AM) 826416012[/snapback]Taking into account the fact that East Tennessee teams won two out of three of the Boys Public School Championships, maybe now we won't have to hear about how great Memphis basketball is all the time.

Maybe now, people will take teams like Maryville, Powell, Oak Ridge, Science Hill and Dobyns Bennett seriously. Way to go East Tennessee.

not realy, lol, the East deserves to win every blue moon... /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ...Please enjoy your reign because it will only last until November. The West will take all the Gold back. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(nebuntyn @ Mar 18 2007 - 12:46 AM) 826416022[/snapback]Don't get beside yourself. Liberty is the best team in the state in any class. Enough said. That AAA championship was a joke. The west is still the best.

Didn't Liberty blast Science Hill.... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

QUOTE(moc3balla @ Mar 21 2007 - 01:06 PM) 826419449[/snapback]I don't doubt that they were the best team in the state, but to say that the West is the best is just hard to believe when you had 2 teams from the East that brought home a Gold Ball this year. I mean, give the East some credit.

Are you serious? Congrats to the East, last year, the East didn't win any Gold. The East winning majority of the Gold this year doesn't take away anything from the West being the best in basketball. The East is the best in football. When the West win 2 out of 3 championships in football, does it take anything away from the East being the best in the state? This year goes in the East corner. It will probably be about 7 more years before it happen again... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(Noway @ Mar 21 2007 - 02:07 PM) 826419501[/snapback]The west may be "the best" but something I think everyone can agree on...."the west won all the mr. basketball awards (however ridiculous some may have been) The east won two gold balls...the west won one... The east "teams" were better.... the team concept and playing together is what gets you the gold ball....and I also believe the east tn teams were better coached...and remember in basketball the post season is all that matters...

If that is true, why haven't the East won majority of the Gold balls in the last 7 years? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

QUOTE(REBELRON @ Mar 21 2007 - 02:22 PM) 826419517[/snapback]Pretty classless statement if you ask me. Maryville would have gave Liberty a better game then Mitchell or Dyer County would. Every team in the AAA tourney would have beaten Mitchell or Dyer County. Liberty was a great team.

You would need all three refs to cheat for you to have a chance against Liberty. They helped you guys out big time against Whites Creek.. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

QUOTE(wuzupdoc @ Mar 21 2007 - 03:35 PM) 826419565[/snapback]I'm not fully convinced that the west is better than the east.

On any given night, I think that a team like Maryville could beat Liberty.

We've already established that in class 1A that the west is not better than the east.

I think there is a little bit different style of basketball played throughout the state, but that's part of the game.

Either you run and gun (and don't play defense), or you play a controlled offense (with good defense).

I think that makes the difference between having a game where a team scores 100 points and others where you only score 50.

Go and look at the stats for the past 7 state championships..... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

i don't know if maryville would beat liberty or not in basketball. maryville won the state championship in a sport that is 2nd fiddle at maryville. i do know this. maryville would give liberty a much better game in basketball than liberty would give maryville in football. maryville could put up 80 on liberty in football. liberty is terrible in football.

QUOTE(P.A.Lin-Z @ Mar 21 2007 - 09:08 PM) 826419816[/snapback]Don't do that.....putting Liberty in the same sentence with DC, UC, and (while I'm at it.)...Maryville. That's not very smart.

Share with us some more of your IQ......what would your (Maryville) plan be against "The Starting Five", ''The Bench" , "The Coaches....Willaims and Green".....and last but not least...."The Managers". Let's hear it!!!!

Maryville is too slow......slow I'm telling you. I don't have to set up a game to know who would win. Maryville is too slow....they would be in the way. There would be 25 or more turnovers.....which would result in 50 points or more. It would get very ugly....quick. Do you plan to send out a couple of people on "The Point Guard" Anthony Sampson? Then what would you do when he dribbles out and goes to the hole?

I'm sorry....I'm supposed to let you do the talking now..............

This question is not directed towards me is it??? If so, I don't think you read this right. I was slamming the Maryville fan for even stating that Maryville had a chance against a team of Liberty's caliber.

I was also correcting the Maryville fans post as he was saying teams from the west play "run-in-gun" with NO DEFENSE or in the east, a much more controlled tempo with stiff defense....thus the TN Vols comparison.

Are you with me now? It appears you are replying to my comment on the matter and asking another question directed towards me, (of which we both are of 100% agreement on /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> )