Tyner Boys Basketball Program

On 3/30/2007 at 1:01 PM, t-mac said:

The year they lost to melrose in the state finals was Rory Hinton and Anthony Jones junior year. That means that that was the year when City had Idris Harper, Travis Glover, Tony Brown, Steveland Sills. You are going to have to prove that one to me. Yes Cal and Long were good basketball players but Hinton and Jones!!!!! You got to be kidding me. Brainerd and City were the only teams that had good teams that year along with Baylor. I am going to have to check TSSAA to see if tyner went to the state in 96-97 because I dont recall that one. But I will give you Cal and Long. And AJ was a great receiver but Hinton, is like Jake at Red Bank, surrounded by alot of talent.

That's your opinion I was the only freshman starting varsity. I was a great player. I may was playing with a lot of talent. That doesn't stop the fact that I was a baller. The players you named you better ask them all cause they knew what was up

• 3 months later...

District 6-AA, 2021: As of 01/23/2021; most teams have played half of their District games and standings (as best as I can ascertain) are as follows:

1. Tyner 7-1  (7-0)

2. Howard 

3. Red Bank 

4. Brainerd 

5. Thru 8. (In no particular order). 

Central, Hixson, E.Ridge, S.Mtn 

Tyner averaging 68.25 ppg while giving up only 37.75 ppg. Team this year can go 9 deep! 

2nd half of season starts today and hopefully all teams remain healthy!!

Go RAMS!!

They have had 2 #HOF coaches in Jimmy Dillard and Steve Thompson. Dillard actually built the program. Thompson came in after Dillard stepped down and had some limited success in a rebuilding era.. I actually think he could have done well there but left because the sentiment understandably wasn't with him. Dillard took it back over and had success.

• 1 year later...

It was hard playing for Coach Thompson and having Dillard still at the school telling you different from what ur head coach was teaching. Coach Dillard had alot of talent on those teams 97-99  that he didnt develop. He picked two guys (Long and Dickerson) and focused on them and neglected the other players that were talented. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2007 at 2:03 PM, t-mac said:

I remember Long, Dickerson, and Snowbird from middle school. Goodlow was the best player on that team but he dropped out. I remember when they played Alton Park for the championship and lost. In fact they lost to AP 3 times that year unfortunately no one from that alton park team played for bowles that next year and McCallie came to bowles the next year and became a 4 year starter at point guard. Thats probably why Tyner went 14-2

Snowbird I havent heard that name in years. Kid could hoop

• Like 1