Top Coaches in Tennessee

SoccerFan0910

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoccerFan0910 @ Mar 23 2007 - 02:20 PM) 826421074[/snapback]Please be realistic about this. I know that most of you players think your coach is the best but submit a list of your top 5

Turner @ Bearden - 4 state Championships, 1 National Chanpionship

Gerlack @ CAK - 4 State Championships

Culbret @ Farragut - 2 State Championships, 1 National Championship

QUOTE(shoehp @ Mar 23 2007 - 02:03 PM) 826421101[/snapback]Turner @ Bearden - 4 state Championships, 1 National Chanpionship

Just to bring up a counterpoint, does winning state titles mean you are a great coach? Can you be a great coach and not win state? I think there are certain teams with so much talent that naturally comes to their school that I think many coaches could take that team to state( please dont think I'm putting down those coaches as I'm sure many are great coaches) There are other teams that might win the district with less talent because the coach does an awesome job getting the most out of his players. His team might lose when it reaches the powerhouses in the region but does that make him any less a great coach? In high school it seems the coach is limited by what the feeder schools send him. A great coach with a team without talent can only go so far, whereas a great team with an average coach can probably still go very far. Just something to kick around. And again not trying to take anything away from the coaches of the big tme soccer programs, I'm sure they do make the difference in getting to state and winning it.

QUOTE(YellowCardFever @ Mar 23 2007 - 03:23 PM) 826421111[/snapback]Just to bring up a counterpoint, does winning state titles mean you are a great coach? Can you be a great coach and not win state? I think there are certain teams with so much talent that naturally comes to their school that I think many coaches could take that team to state( please dont think I'm putting down those coaches as I'm sure many are great coaches) There are other teams that might win the district with less talent because the coach does an awesome job getting the most out of his players. His team might lose when it reaches the powerhouses in the region but does that make him any less a great coach? In high school it seems the coach is limited by what the feeder schools send him. A great coach with a team without talent can only go so far, whereas a great team with an average coach can probably still go very far. Just something to kick around. And again not trying to take anything away from the coaches of the big tme soccer programs, I'm sure they do make the difference in getting to state and winning it.

These coaches have also been named "Coach of the Year" by their peers. I don't know the number of time they have gotten the award, I am sure that it has been more than once. Unfortunately in these kinds of endeavors these are the metrics you have to work with.

Good picks guys. I think however that you need to move out of East Tennessee and look elsewhere. John Lenier at MBA Russ Plummer at Hendersonville has two state titles and Mike Irby at Houston has somewhere around three or four. Not that your picks aren't pertinent, but I think that there are many quality coaches around other parts of the state. Greg Harper has been very successful at Gallatin as well.

QUOTE(SoccerFan0910 @ Mar 23 2007 - 01:20 PM) 826421074[/snapback]Please be realistic about this. I know that most of you players think your coach is the best but submit a list of your top 5

richie chadwick tullahoma

bill vice blackman

mike purcell brentwood

jimmy weakly baylor

QUOTE(world cup @ Mar 23 2007 - 07:45 PM) 826421231[/snapback]Good picks guys. I think however that you need to move out of East Tennessee and look elsewhere. John Lenier at MBA Russ Plummer at Hendersonville has two state titles and Mike Irby at Houston has somewhere around three or four. Not that your picks aren't pertinent, but I think that there are many quality coaches around other parts of the state. Greg Harper has been very successful at Gallatin as well.

Russ Plummer has 4 state titles...and a southeast region coach of the year.

QUOTE(shoehp @ Mar 23 2007 - 01:03 PM) 826421101[/snapback]Turner @ Bearden - 4 state Championships, 1 National Chanpionship

Being subjectively ranked number one among the comparatively few states (9 or 10) that play high school soccer in the Spring doesn't make a team "National Champions". While Bearden, Farragut, CBHS and McCallie have been ranked as number one at one time or another in the Spring season, that is a very very long way from being a National Champion. In fact, there is no national high school champion because there is no national high school championship.