The Best Choice for Hampton?

DekeRivers

QUOTE(coachtcyclone @ Mar 27 2007 - 12:59 PM) 826424051[/snapback]Wow!

What an opportunity for Carter County Schools and Hampton High!

JR Campbell, little brother Tim,Ned Smith all of these men would do a great job at Hampton.

If Elizabethton makes their usuall POLITICAL hire and mistake to not give their job to Len Dugger, then someone at Betsy should quickly call JR or Tim Campbell and hire them as Head Basketball Coach.

Why would we expect that, they have already sit on their laurels and let Tony Gordon go to Morristown West. Gordon recently told an area sports writer that is a personal friend of mine that if he had his choice of any area job, it would be Elizabethton, sorry Coach, too late now,they have to play politics and pass over guys overqualified like you and Dugger.

I hoped that with Alexander getting his second chance that he would be able to look at the big picture and start fresh, doing whats right and needed for our system. It appears now that wont happen and they will continue to operate under the buddy system. By the way, I just heard today that Alexander will appoint one of his buddies as the next prinicipal at EHS. A friend of mine said that his Dr. and others are waiting for that critical mistake and then they will hit the media hard with past inappropriate actions of this young guy.

Some things never change, do they?

I no longer live in Betsy but Im from there and a Betsy fan, but you folks over there better get to your school board quick and stop this silly petty politics.

As I remember a certain administrator saying a few months ago, everyone deserves a second chance.Is Len Dugger getting his?

Dugger is one of the finest basketball coaches in this area, what did he do so bad, get caught up in building the best team he could get?

Did he pay to get the former Virgin Island boys to Eliz? I think not, he was only the coach that tried to make winners out of a bunch of small town boys. If thats a crime then maybe all area coaches should not be given a chance.

SHAME ON YOU ELIZABETHTON!

VERY GOOD POST,WELL THOUGHT OUT!

What about this scenario: LEn Dugger doesnt get the Betsy job, but as a way to keep the Dugger faithful happy and do the baketball program justice, hire Leon Tolley as Eliz Head Coach, Tolley makes Dugger varsity asst and JV coach.

Hampton takes JR Campbell, Tim Campbell or Ned Smith, all of which would be good hires for them.

NOW before you DAWG faithful jump here, I hate for you to get your feelings hurt but, is it impossible to think that Leon has had enough of HAmpton? Wait now, think, Eliz would be more pay toward his retirement, a bigger program and a chance to reunite with Len Dugger. Honestly, that would be a "Bruce Pearl" type move for Betsy. Their program would flourish greatly!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(cyclonedad @ Mar 28 2007 - 08:42 AM) 826424687[/snapback]VERY GOOD POST,WELL THOUGHT OUT!

What about this scenario: LEn Dugger doesnt get the Betsy job, but as a way to keep the Dugger faithful happy and do the baketball program justice, hire Leon Tolley as Eliz Head Coach, Tolley makes Dugger varsity asst and JV coach.

Hampton takes JR Campbell, Tim Campbell or Ned Smith, all of which would be good hires for them.

NOW before you DAWG faithful jump here, I hate for you to get your feelings hurt but, is it impossible to think that Leon has had enough of HAmpton? Wait now, think, Eliz would be more pay toward his retirement, a bigger program and a chance to reunite with Len Dugger. Honestly, that would be a "Bruce Pearl" type move for Betsy. Their program would flourish greatly!

I just spoke with an Eliz adm employee who said Alexander is pretty set on Ned Smith. Smiths wife is a teacher at Eastside, like I said before, heres the smalltown politics again!

Im not knocking Ned Smith, hes done a fairly good job at Cloudland but Eliz is not Cloudland and Smith should NOT be hired JUST because his wife teaches there!

QUOTE(coachtcyclone @ Mar 28 2007 - 09:59 AM) 826424711[/snapback]I just spoke with an Eliz adm employee who said Alexander is pretty set on Ned Smith. Smiths wife is a teacher at Eastside, like I said before, heres the smalltown politics again!

Im not knocking Ned Smith, hes done a fairly good job at Cloudland but Eliz is not Cloudland and Smith should NOT be hired JUST because his wife teaches there!

with carp going to uh ned would be lost. you better get carp as well.the style change wouldn't be that great without carp.

QUOTE(warts4u @ Mar 28 2007 - 08:56 AM) 826424705[/snapback]When was Dugger and Tolley ever united to begin with? What contact as player coach did they ever have? I know Tolley never played for him, and any one who knows Tolley knows he probably couldn't have played for Dugger.

They are friends and both HAmpton guys!

They have a great mutual friendship.

I have been hearing for a couple of weeks that Len Dugger is a good coach but I had never really heard of him before then. What was his stats at Elizabethton (wins vs. losses, conference, district, regional, sub-state titles, and state tourney appearances)? It seems to me like he would already be hired if he is as good as everyone says...

QUOTE(krichunaka @ Mar 27 2007 - 09:34 AM) 826423803[/snapback]No Way! Hire J. R. Campbell to coach his Beloved Bulldogs? Are you crazy? Don't do it! . . . . Not unless you want to see the Coach who loves Hampton more than himself . . . .unless you want to see the Gym packed to the rafters when Cloudland, Johnson County, Elizabethton, Happy Valley, UNAKA play at Hampton.

Can you imagine? It's February. Unaka at Hampton - - tied for the conference lead?

I can't see that happening. J.R. is a great man, and a good coach, but did he every really win the big one. Did he ever win conference, district, or regional titles? and if he did, was it enough to consider it a trend or a fluke? not sure that he would be the best choice. if he were to get hired, it probably be unaka @ cloudland for the conference. Lunsford, seems to be the logical choice. he was pretty successful when he was with cloudlands girls.

QUOTE(goalline08 @ Mar 28 2007 - 12:37 PM) 826424901[/snapback]I can't see that happening. J.R. is a great man, and a good coach, but did he every really win the big one. Did he ever win conference, district, or regional titles? and if he did, was it enough to consider it a trend or a fluke? not sure that he would be the best choice. if he were to get hired, it probably be unaka @ cloudland for the conference. Lunsford, seems to be the logical choice. he was pretty successful when he was with cloudlands girls.

If Lunsford gets the job:

He will coach next year for junior's senior season and then he will probably go back to NC to coach football. Hampton will be in the same situation next year looking for a basketball coach. Just my humble opinion!

I do not know Dugger's stats. He coached from 82-95 I think. That was when EHS played 3a and Science Hill was awesome. He made the State tourney in 83. He got let go because of politics. He did some things wrong and he will admit that but a lot of people in that system has done things wrong. If he does not get the EHS job this time he will never get it. I hope he then goes to an area rival and beats EHS like they owe him money.

QUOTE(warts4u @ Mar 28 2007 - 09:56 AM) 826424705[/snapback]When was Dugger and Tolley ever united to begin with? What contact as player coach did they ever have? I know Tolley never played for him, and any one who knows Tolley knows he probably couldn't have played for Dugger.

Len Dugger helped a lot of kids in Carter County develop basketball skills, and not just kids from Elizabethton. I know he took many kids to camp at Gardner-Webb that would not have had a chance to go otherwise.