McMinn County Football

Oskie1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ajw @ Apr 30 2007 - 06:58 AM) 826448155[/snapback]not sure if it is this week or next week.

Spring practice started today (30th). We had no Head coach there(of course), this is not sending the players a good sign of support. I thought we were hiring a football coach, not Albert Einstein. When you post the job it says Head Football Coach, not Rocket Scientist (P.S.) it would help if you know a little about football. I know that alot of people dont agree with this, but you have to get the best football coach available and then worry about the subject he is certified in and if he is not certified in the available subject, you get him certified some how- some way. He can take summer classes and get certified. I do not like the direction Mcminn athletics

are going and I think that falls on the shoulders of Haynie. I think it is about time for him to step down. It is not fair to kids,parents, and supporters of Mcminn Co. High School. I have a feeling the hire he is going to make, is not going to be a popular one in Athens, if you know what i mean (B.C) . ( what do you think Oskie1 ?)

QUOTE(Whistle76 @ Apr 30 2007 - 10:12 PM) 826448706[/snapback]Spring practice started today (30th). We had no Head coach there(of course), this is not sending the players a good sign of support. I thought we were hiring a football coach, not Albert Einstein. When you post the job it says Head Football Coach, not Rocket Scientist (P.S.) it would help if you know a little about football. I know that alot of people dont agree with this, but you have to get the best football coach available and then worry about the subject he is certified in and if he is not certified in the available subject, you get him certified some how- some way. He can take summer classes and get certified. I do not like the direction Mcminn athletics

are going and I think that falls on the shoulders of Haynie. I think it is about time for him to step down. It is not fair to kids,parents, and supporters of Mcminn Co. High School. I have a feeling the hire he is going to make, is not going to be a popular one in Athens, if you know what i mean (B.C) . ( what do you think Oskie1 ?)

Who would be the popular hire?

QUOTE(Whistle76 @ Apr 30 2007 - 08:12 PM) 826448706[/snapback]Spring practice started today (30th). We had no Head coach there(of course), this is not sending the players a good sign of support. I thought we were hiring a football coach, not Albert Einstein. When you post the job it says Head Football Coach, not Rocket Scientist (P.S.) it would help if you know a little about football. I know that alot of people dont agree with this, but you have to get the best football coach available and then worry about the subject he is certified in and if he is not certified in the available subject, you get him certified some how- some way. He can take summer classes and get certified. I do not like the direction Mcminn athletics

No doubt that Haynie and Grubb have not done a good job of hiring a coach, besides Hutchins being hired they have screwed the pooch on the rest of them. For example Daugherty 13-17 over three seasons as the football coach, Quirk is hired after being ran off from McMinn Central as their girls basketball coach but we hire him @ McMinn and then he resigns after 3 miserable seasons.

I got a bit of insider information yesterday that Grubb will not hire somebody that has been @ McMInn and left and wants to come back. if that is the case then Bennett does not have a good chance. The more and more I talk to different people the more I keep hearing Cagle is going to be the next coach. Understand this that Cagle's grandfarther J.B. "Ace" Adams was the AD @ McMinn when Grubb was hired as the head football coach and Bo's mother is on the current McMinn Co. school board.....I mean come on who do you think Haynie and Grubb are going to hire? I just hope we have a coach by this fall!!!

If that is true that Cagle will be named the head coach because of his ties to McMinn Co, what will happen in 3-4 years if he struggles and does not have the type of season the community and administration expect? Will he be let go, or will he be given chance after chance? This can run a program in the ground! Wanting to make sure the hometown guy gets his chance. Not a great situation if he fails. This would be different if he was an established head coach somewhere else and coming back to take over. But for it to be his first head coaching gig, it could be ugly. I am sure he could do a great job, but that is alot of pressure for a young coach, especially at the 5A level. This is the reason that I think they need to go outside of the system to hire somebody. Don't forget, Scotty Smith has alot to offer somebody. You past on him once before, I would not do it again. He is the man for the job!

I agree that they need to hire the best football coach, and then worry about his teaching spot. Look at how Georgia schools do it. They hire the best coach, and then work the teaching position. Most teachers are certified in more than one subject, so they could look at moving teachers around. Most teachers though are not willing to do that.

Good Luck in your search! Again, Scotty Smith!!!

I have been keeping up with the situation quietly. There are a few things that are not in McMinn's favor in hiring of a quality, experienced football coach. One is the pay. McMinn County has one of the worst pay for coaches in 5A football. The teaching expectations of the football coach is also not attractive to older, quality, experienced football coaches. The best case for McMinn Football is to get someone who desires to be at McMinn, not to necessarily go out and find someone who will come in and use the job as a stepping stone to a more desirable job in one or two years. Then you are in the same situation you were in to begin with. Someone who desires to be at McMinn, live in the community, and work hard is the best solution to the ongoing problem of the past few years at McMinn County High School. My Humble Opinion.

Listen up boys and girls the "Tribefan" is about to speak!!!!As long as we have the current administration in place McMinn football will continue to flounder the only reason it experienced some success under Mullinax was that he did what he wanted in other words he called the shots when it came to decisions about the football program. Unfortuantly after he retired the administration became the "puppet master" and began making the major decisions. There has not been any strong leadership in that program since Mullinax left:Hutchins had the forethougth to realize that and got out of dodge.

In order for McMinn to return to winning football games they must hire a strong leader with a strong sence on discipline and an even stronger knowledge of how to operate a 5-A football program. I have always been a beliver that a major sport as football is only as strong as it's weakest link. It is imperative that you have quality assistant coaches that are loyal to the head coach and then you must have a active , supportive, loyal booster base.

I am concerned that the administration is hiring a teacher first then a coach : but you know what there is nothing I can do about that. So I have two options either stop supporting my beloved Cherokees or continue supporting them and I will choose to support them as I have done for many years becuase I enjoy high school football. We all have our opinions as to whom we think the best coach is but it does not matter what we think it all boils down to who Johnny Grubb and Jimmy Haynie want as there next football coach. I just pray they make the best choice for the current players and the future players. GO TRIBE!!!!!!

QUOTE(ajw @ Apr 30 2007 - 10:45 PM) 826448758[/snapback]most of you may not agree with me but the best hire would have been brad bennett.

Actually- ajw, I think most of Athens would agree with you. But, it is like Oskie1 said, Grubb and haynie are not going to hire someone who has left and wants to come back and I think it is a shame and very immature. I talked to a player the other day and he told me that most of the players he talked to wanted Bennett. but, did haynie and Grubb think to even seek their opinion, I am sure not. If i'm coaching at a school and I didn't feel good about the situation and a coach called me and offered a $10,000 raise, I think i would go, just as all of you would in your current job and Haynie and Grubb would too. My source tells me that Bennett before he left, went to Grubb,Haynie, and all the coaches including Daughtery and sat down with them and explained the situation and told them that he didnt want to burn any bridges and that he wanted to come back someday. I dont know how he is today, but when he was here before, he was a great christian man and a great football coach and also I hear the same thing about Smith. But, trust me Bo Cagle will be named Head Coach and in 3 yrs he will move on somewhere else if he is successful or if he fails, he will move on and be an asst. somewhere. And honestly i think that is where he belongs (asst). Someone could call Haynie and tell him how you feel, But i would say he is too busy looking in the mirror at himself. That is what this is all about HIM, not Mcminn Co.

QUOTE(Whistle76 @ May 1 2007 - 01:05 PM) 826449294[/snapback]Actually- ajw, I think most of Athens would agree with you. But, it is like Oskie1 said, Grubb and haynie are not going to hire someone who has left and wants to come back and I think it is a shame and very immature. I talked to a player the other day and he told me that most of the players he talked to wanted Bennett. but, did haynie and Grubb think to even seek their opinion, I am sure not. If i'm coaching at a school and I didn't feel good about the situation and a coach called me and offered a $10,000 raise, I think i would go, just as all of you would in your current job and Haynie and Grubb would too. My source tells me that Bennett before he left, went to Grubb,Haynie, and all the coaches including Daughtery and sat down with them and explained the situation and told them that he didnt want to burn any bridges and that he wanted to come back someday. I dont know how he is today, but when he was here before, he was a great christian man and a great football coach and also I hear the same thing about Smith. But, trust me Bo Cagle will be named Head Coach and in 3 yrs he will move on somewhere else if he is successful or if he fails, he will move on and be an asst. somewhere. And honestly i think that is where he belongs (asst). Someone could call Haynie and tell him how you feel, But i would say he is too busy looking in the mirror at himself. That is what this is all about HIM, not Mcminn Co.

I think Bo would be a great hire. Being a grad from Mcminn and coaching there, I think they need someone like him. He is a good friend of mine and I know he would insteal those things he learned from Mullinax. He is a home town boy, you should want him to have the job. I know this is a job he has wanted and I hope he gets it. I am a coach myself and if I had the opportunity to come back home and coach, money would be no object. People like Bo and I remember where we come from and would do because we love our home town. This is just from a coaching aspect and also being from Athens.