Maryville's State Win is History But Not a Surprise

CNFn

Ask some of the teams like DB who played Maryville this summer and they will tell you it is no surprise they won the state tournament. Maryville was loaded and will be loaded for some time to come. There were quite a few coaches competing for the job left vacant because they knew about the talent. These guys got little respect. Most of the reporters and prognosticators had no idea because most of them don't really know basketball. I for one underestimated the success of Maryville, but not because I didn't realize they had an arsenal of great players.

Even after winning it all people are still acting like it was a big surprise. They won it all because no one knew how good these guys really were! No one really knew how good Lofton was either and I am sure Tubby won't ever forget it. Watch for these guys to make a major impact in college football and basketball for many years to come. These guys are loaded with talent but even more with (heart).

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CNFn @ Mar 30 2007 - 06:47 PM) 826426785[/snapback]Ask some of the teams like DB who played Maryville this summer and they will tell you it is no surprise they won the state tournament. Maryville was loaded and will be loaded for some time to come. There were quite a few coaches competing for the job left vacant because they knew about the talent. These guys got little respect. Most of the reporters and prognosticators had no idea because most of them don't really know basketball. I for one underestimated the success of Maryville, but not because I didn't realize they had an arsenal of great players.

Even after winning it all people are still acting like it was a big surprise. They won it all because no one knew how good these guys really were! No one really knew how good Lofton was either and I am sure Tubby won't ever forget it. Watch for these guys to make a major impact in college football and basketball for many years to come. These guys are loaded with talent but even more with (heart).

Maryville has a winning tradition, it just carried over to basketball this year. I have to applaud a school that can do what they do in football and win a basketball championship also.

QUOTE(montague1 @ Mar 30 2007 - 07:44 PM) 826426834[/snapback]Maryville has a winning tradition, it just carried over to basketball this year. I have to applaud a school that can do what they do in football and win a basketball championship also.

What made the difference for Maryville this year was two big transfers Douglas and Basile.Take them out and Maryville was a different team. Put them on any other team in the district and they go to state. Same thing with Bradley Central and Oglesby and Dodd transferring. We are not talking just little transfers either. We are talking D1 players and don't tell me that doesn't make a difference. Take Burnette and Douglas off the football team and what would you have next year? Maryville will be strong for another year in football and maybe basketball (losing Maples & Basile won't be good)but after that they better be looking for some other transfers.

Well, I am a student at Maryville High school and I will say that is was quit a surprise. When the season started, I dont think 100 students in the school knew it. None of us, not even the basketball players expected to win the championship. I was surprised when we got into the state championship game, even surprised we beat science hill (who I believe is a good b-ball school) anyways, I thought we would get smashed in the first game against bradley, sort of like we did not belong there and we were jokers. Well, anyways, that first game gave us momentum I could feel. I though about the next game against whites creek and had a good feeling we could win. Unfortunately, so did the whites creek fans. Well, like usual, I was right and Maryville won. Now, the Maryville players before the tourney even started said they knew they were not going to win the state title. I am pretty sure after Oakland (the clear favorite) was beatin by Clarksville, the Maryville players knew they could win. They carried the momentum which appeared to be just enought to win. I am wainting now for the highlight video to come out, it will be sweet!

It is a suprise and will be one of the best stories every told. They may have played well before the season but you could never believe that they had a chance to win it. It all went as plan. 1st draw a non- memphis team in the first round. 2nd Hope that someone beats Oakland. 3rd play you heart out in the championship game and give yourself a chance.

Boseman the transfers can go anywhere they want to go as long as their parents pay the money. Maryville also ranks high nationally in the education department, and thats another reason why they go to Maryville. WB transfers: Mo Baskins, Jeremey Bell, Dominique Brown, Yousef Baskins, Josh Madden, Derrick Dover, and dont forget that TJ Walker came from Maryville after 8th grade.

It wasn't a surprise,it was a shock.....

As williebgovs04 posted,everything had to fall into place.....Saying that,they were very well coached and sound fundamentally...I also think that the players on the football team that play basketball expect to win and won't take losing as an option,that helps alot too...

QUOTE(BosemanWBFan @ Mar 31 2007 - 05:39 AM) 826427016[/snapback]What made the difference for Maryville this year was two big transfers Douglas and Basile.Take them out and Maryville was a different team. Put them on any other team in the district and they go to state. Same thing with Bradley Central and Oglesby and Dodd transferring. We are not talking just little transfers either. We are talking D1 players and don't tell me that doesn't make a difference. Take Burnette and Douglas off the football team and what would you have next year? Maryville will be strong for another year in football and maybe basketball (losing Maples & Basile won't be good)but after that they better be looking for some other transfers.

Boseman you're jest jealous because you boyz can't identify talent like STARSNBARS recrutin/garbige servuss.

Willy B. has had plenty of "transfers" like Ronald Osborne, Aaron Carson, Dominique Brown, Bart Hicks for a year, Mo Baskin, Kelby Crain, etc. who jest ain't been able to help the Gov's get er done.

We have already been lookin in the youth leagues fer younger "transfers" to keep the well oiled Mairvul machine runnin.

QUOTE(williebgovs04 @ Apr 1 2007 - 10:00 AM) 826427494[/snapback]It is a suprise and will be one of the best stories every told. They may have played well before the season but you could never believe that they had a chance to win it. It all went as plan. 1st draw a non- memphis team in the first round. 2nd Hope that someone beats Oakland. 3rd play you heart out in the championship game and give yourself a chance.

Boseman the transfers can go anywhere they want to go as long as their parents pay the money. Maryville also ranks high nationally in the education department, and thats another reason why they go to Maryville. WB transfers: Mo Baskins, Jeremey Bell, Dominique Brown, Yousef Baskins, Josh Madden, Derrick Dover, and dont forget that TJ Walker came from Maryville after 8th grade.

WillieB, WillyB, WillyB ...

First off, TJ started his 8th grade year at William Blount Middle and he finished it there. The "Maryville experience" was a blip midway through the year, that he never really was that crazy about in the first place.

Second, I believe Boseman's main point wasn't to accuse Maryville of doing anything wrong ... he was just making a valid point about the quality of the transfer's Maryville had on both their football and basketball squads. Yes, WB (and other schools) get their share of transfers as well. But name me two transfers to WB (from any time) that could compete with Douglas and Basille on the hardwood in 2 on 2??? Or name me two WB transfers in football that could equal Burnette and Douglas?

The Clabough kid (baseballer) is probably one of the best athletes who has chosen to come to WB while living in the Maryville City limits that we've ever had. I'm not sure if he transferred??? or has he always been in county schools?

And btw, WHO IS DERRICK DOVER?

Your right GovMan like always, SRY. Boseman just makes it sound like nobody else gets transfer besides our cross town rival, theirs just happens to be better than most of ours.

Dover is a Wideout who thinks hes the next big thing, We'll find out, but dont count on it.

I sure hope that we can score some of those blue chippers in the near future.

QUOTE(GovMan @ Apr 4 2007 - 10:12 PM) 826430333[/snapback]WillieB, WillyB, WillyB ...

First off, TJ started his 8th grade year at William Blount Middle and he finished it there. The "Maryville experience" was a blip midway through the year, that he never really was that crazy about in the first place.

Second, I believe Boseman's main point wasn't to accuse Maryville of doing anything wrong ... he was just making a valid point about the quality of the transfer's Maryville had on both their football and basketball squads. Yes, WB (and other schools) get their share of transfers as well. But name me two transfers to WB (from any time) that could compete with Douglas and Basille on the hardwood in 2 on 2??? Or name me two WB transfers in football that could equal Burnette and Douglas?

The Clabough kid (baseballer) is probably one of the best athletes who has chosen to come to WB while living in the Maryville City limits that we've ever had. I'm not sure if he transferred??? or has he always been in county schools?

And btw, WHO IS DERRICK DOVER?

Great spin Govman. I swear you would spin on and defend Satan if he wore the blue and orange. You know EXACTLY what Booseman was referencing.

Let me ask this question....what constitutes a "transfer"? Douglas and Burnett entered Maryville High the first day possible, the beginning of their freshman year. They have never been to another highschool. So are they "transfers"? If so then what constitutes a non-transfer. Because we lived in another state for 6 years, moved back, son and daughter went to Rockford for one year, and then went to Maryville are they "transfers"?

You guys absolutely kill me with some of the incredible spin that comes out of your fingers. As a county tax payer, and particularly if my kids went to WB, I would be more concerned with the teachers that lurk and post on this board during school hours.

BTW....Travis Webb (baseballer) is a Maryville kid......lives beside John Sevier School. I bet if you really looked into it you would be very surprised how many city kids attend WB and Heritage. Last years starting QB at Heritage is a city kid.

Regards.....

QUOTE(MLREB @ Apr 5 2007 - 03:25 AM) 826430414[/snapback]

Great spin Govman. I swear you would spin on and defend Satan if he wore the blue and orange. You know EXACTLY what Booseman was referencing.

Let me ask this question....what constitutes a "transfer"? Douglas and Burnett entered Maryville High the first day possible, the beginning of their freshman year. They have never been to another highschool. So are they "transfers"? If so then what constitutes a non-transfer. Because we lived in another state for 6 years, moved back, son and daughter went to Rockford for one year, and then went to Maryville are they "transfers"?

You guys absolutely kill me with some of the incredible spin that comes out of your fingers. As a county tax payer, and particularly if my kids went to WB, I would be more concerned with the teachers that lurk and post on this board during school hours.

BTW....Travis Webb (baseballer) is a Maryville kid......lives beside John Sevier School. I bet if you really looked into it you would be very surprised how many city kids attend WB and Heritage. Last years starting QB at Heritage is a city kid.

Regards.....

MLREB, if a city kid lived beside John Sevier School wouldn't he be zoned fer Hairatige? You know like Cait who lives on Everurt Hill in Mairvul city limits and went to Hairatige?