Pacman gone for the entire 2007 season.

The NFL commissioner has just announced that Pacman would be suspended for the entire 2007 season for conduct detrimental to the NFL. I don't see how Gene Upshaw and the NFLPA signed off on this situation. The Union is now powerless at the hands of the NFL. A player is being suspended for an entire season with zero convictions on his record, heck if he had one I wouldn't have a problem with it, but he has zero. Guess the Titans 2007 hopes just went down a notch.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gerry Bertier @ Apr 10 2007 - 12:17 PM) 826433966[/snapback]The NFL commissioner has just announced that Pacman would be suspended for the entire 2007 season for conduct detrimental to the NFL. I don't see how Gene Upshaw and the NFLPA signed off on this situation. The Union is now powerless at the hands of the NFL. A player is being suspended for an entire season with zero convictions on his record, heck if he had one I wouldn't have a problem with it, but he has zero. Guess the Titans 2007 hopes just went down a notch.

Upshaw and the NFLPA are up to a delicate part of their anatomy in alligators right now. This assures that they won't have to deal with Mr. Jones for at least a year and Upshaw and company are probably tired of answering the "Thug of the Day" hotline constantly. This sends a message which should have been sent 5 years ago. After 12 months on the loose, Pacman could be anywhere from living in one of many houses of correction to being a regular on "Dancing with the Stars." I predict that the Titans will go through the motions of complaining

I personally think it is the best thing that could have happened short of cutting him from the team altogether.

Just think -- He has a year to roam the streets with his thug buddies. Maybe he will finally get into enough trouble that the next time we hear of him he is actually sitting behind bars and being baby sat by the Department of Corrections -- hopefully in any state other than TN .............

QUOTE(Augielio @ Apr 10 2007 - 12:27 PM) 826433970[/snapback]Upshaw and the NFLPA are up to a delicate part of their anatomy in alligators right now. This assures that they won't have to deal with Mr. Jones for at least a year and Upshaw and company are probably tired of answering the "Thug of the Day" hotline constantly. This sends a message which should have been sent 5 years ago. After 12 months on the loose, Pacman could be anywhere from living in one of many houses of correction to being a regular on "Dancing with the Stars." I predict that the Titans will go through the motions of complaining

Maybe this is just what Pacman needs to figure out what is going on with his life. I hope for his sake he turns it around and does something positive with this decision. He will be greatly missed on the football field this season and I will definently miss the excitement he brings when he steps on the playing surface. I wonder if this will be appealed and can be overturned? Im sure this is only the beginning of this situation. I wish he was playing because he is a huge part of how well the Titans will be this season. My guess is that after the year suspension we will let him go and let go arguably the second best returner in the game. Good luck to Pacman.

QUOTE(Gerry Bertier @ Apr 10 2007 - 12:17 PM) 826433966[/snapback]The NFL commissioner has just announced that Pacman would be suspended for the entire 2007 season for conduct detrimental to the NFL. I don't see how Gene Upshaw and the NFLPA signed off on this situation. The Union is now powerless at the hands of the NFL. A player is being suspended for an entire season with zero convictions on his record, heck if he had one I wouldn't have a problem with it, but he has zero. Guess the Titans 2007 hopes just went down a notch.

Who needs convictions. Pac Man has been in the league 2 years and has had 10 run ins with cops. I've been alive 28 years and have had about 4. If Pac Man was tying to change, I would feel different. But, there is no change for Pac Man. Pac Man plays for the Titans, how the heck can 1 person manage to get into that much trouble in Nashville.

BTW,

here is the link

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-j...p&type=lgns

The League has also strengthened its personal conduct policy:

Discipline

The standard of socially responsible conduct for NFL employees will be higher. Club and league employees will be held to a higher standard than players. Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL will be subject to discipline, even if not criminal in nature.

Discipline for individuals that violate the policy will include larger fines and longer suspensions.

Repeat violations of the personal conduct policy will be dealt with aggressively, including discipline for repeat offenders even when the conduct itself has not yet resulted in a conviction of a crime.

Individuals suspended under the policy must earn their way back to active status by fully complying with professional counseling and treatment that will include evaluation on a regular basis.

Clubs will be subject to discipline in cases involving violations of the Personal Conduct Policy by club employees. In determining potential club discipline going forward, the commissioner will consider all relevant factors, including the history of conduct-related violations by that club's employees and the extent to which the club's support programs are consistent with best practices as identified and shared with the clubs. Recommended best practices include having a full-time club player development director and a full-time club security director.

The specific conditions that apply to Jones' suspension include the following:

-He must have no further adverse involvement with law enforcement.

-He must fully cooperate with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned under league or court-ordered programs.

-He must adhere to the restrictions on his activities that have been agreed to by he and the Titans.

-He may not be at the Titans' facility through May 31 and may not participate in any practices or organized workouts during the term of the suspension. Beginning June 1, he must visit the team facility once each week to meet with the team's player development director. Also, beginning June 1, he is permitted to spend one day a week at the team facility for conditioning, film study, and other similar activities.

-In conjunction with the team's player development director and other professionals working with him, Jones must develop with the Titans a structured program of community service or other activity. This program must be submitted to the league office for review and approval.

QUOTE(fromthetop2 @ Apr 10 2007 - 02:26 PM) 826434059[/snapback]-He must have no further adverse involvement with law enforcement.

-He must fully cooperate with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned under league or court-ordered programs.

-He must adhere to the restrictions on his activities that have been agreed to by he and the Titans.

-He may not be at the Titans' facility through May 31 and may not participate in any practices or organized workouts during the term of the suspension. Beginning June 1, he must visit the team facility once each week to meet with the team's player development director. Also, beginning June 1, he is permitted to spend one day a week at the team facility for conditioning, film study, and other similar activities.

-In conjunction with the team's player development director and other professionals working with him, Jones must develop with the Titans a structured program of community service or other activity. This program must be submitted to the league office for review and approval.

So ...... In other words he will never play in the NFL again ?????????????

QUOTE(allaboutsports @ Apr 10 2007 - 05:52 PM) 826434180[/snapback]So ...... In other words he will never play in the NFL again ?????????????

/laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

He'll be a demon in the Arena League.......

There is no way he can adhere to those requirements....No way...It will be hard enough just to get him at the facility one day a week after June 1st......

What does this do with the Titan's salary cap???.....They can't just cut him without taking a big hit there as I understand it....

QUOTE(fromthetop2 @ Apr 10 2007 - 02:26 PM) 826434059[/snapback]The League has also strengthened its personal conduct policy:

Discipline

The standard of socially responsible conduct for NFL employees will be higher. Club and league employees will be held to a higher standard than players. Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL will be subject to discipline, even if not criminal in nature.

Discipline for individuals that violate the policy will include larger fines and longer suspensions.

Repeat violations of the personal conduct policy will be dealt with aggressively, including discipline for repeat offenders even when the conduct itself has not yet resulted in a conviction of a crime.

Individuals suspended under the policy must earn their way back to active status by fully complying with professional counseling and treatment that will include evaluation on a regular basis.

Clubs will be subject to discipline in cases involving violations of the Personal Conduct Policy by club employees. In determining potential club discipline going forward, the commissioner will consider all relevant factors, including the history of conduct-related violations by that club's employees and the extent to which the club's support programs are consistent with best practices as identified and shared with the clubs. Recommended best practices include having a full-time club player development director and a full-time club security director.

The specific conditions that apply to Jones' suspension include the following:

-He must have no further adverse involvement with law enforcement.

His days in the N.F.L. are over.

Because the NFL suspended him, the Titans do not take a cap hit.

Had the Titans suspended him first, they would have taken a hit. As Bud said, i.e, first and foremost they are one of 32 entities in the organization called the NFL, secondly, they are an individual franchised business.

So much for all of the "experts" who said the Titans should have shown him the door months ago. For the people out there who are in the business-world, this was a no-brainer. It may be all about accounting, but it has tangible results to the bottom-line. It's like being able to take an accelerated depreciation, or refinancing debt, right Solly?

For the non-business ones out there, ummmm. . . . just trust me, the Titans knew what they were doing all along.

Now whether or not he plays again, the Titans definitely want him to play again- for them and them only, and under their rules. Otherwise he can be a permanent student at WVU.

Very good and true post. There is a possibility he can still play in 2007. After ten games have been played he can appeal to have the reduction to only ten games. I think if he stays out of trouble, not saying he will but if he does he will play week 11. I dont think his time is done in the NFL. I wish more people were more supportive in hoping he gets his act together rather than dog him. But to each is his own. Good luck to Pacman! The titans could certainly use him during the last strech of the season.

Go Titans