QUOTE(Gerry Bertier @ Apr 14 2007 - 01:57 PM) 826437461[/snapback]Been a Braves fan all my life. Started with Dale Murphy then to the pitching trio of Glavine, Smoltz, and Avery. With sluggers like Gant, Justice, Terry P. Maddux then jumped on the ride, so did the Crime Dog and many many more. But every year except 95 they break my heart in October, but you gotta stick with your team.

BTW, I do hate the Yankees.

Remember Sid Bream rounding third in that huge game...chugging along on two bad knees.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a Giants fan since they lost the 1962 World Series in 7 games to the D*m* Yankees. FYI - I don't like Barry Bonds but they are my team regardless. Of course, they will be lucky 80 games this year. I am fast developing a dislike for Barry Zito.

And I do deeply dislike the YANKEES.

Been a Cards fan since I was six. First game at old Busch was July 31, 1987. It was a Friday night, and Cards beat the Pirates that night 4-3 to end a 7 game losing streak. Our Christmas cards last year were us at Game 4 of the Series.

And I also despise the Yankees and the Red Sox. But I am planning on going to a game at Yankee Stadium next summer.

Gee Sol despise is such a harsh word. I always thought of the Yankees as the bad guys but I guess since we won the World Series in 04 we are the new "Evil Empire". I know, I know we have spent alot of money but surely it gives you more pleasure to despise the Yankees and George Steinbrenner. C'mon we can not be that bad. Anyway as everyone can see by my user name that I am a Redsox fan. I named my son after Ted Williams. In my opinion the greatest hitter ever to have played the game. One thing I do know hating the Yankees is kinda of like hating J.R. Ewing. It is alot of fun. Looking forward to the rivalry this weekend. Go Sox! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(REDSOX @ Apr 17 2007 - 12:33 PM) 826439452[/snapback]Gee Sol despise is such a harsh word. I always thought of the Yankees as the bad guys but I guess since we won the World Series in 04 we are the new "Evil Empire". I know, I know we have spent alot of money but surely it gives you more pleasure to despise the Yankees and George Steinbrenner. C'mon we can not be that bad. Anyway as everyone can see by my user name that I am a Redsox fan. I named my son after Ted Williams. In my opinion the greatest hitter ever to have played the game. One thing I do know hating the Yankees is kinda of like hating J.R. Ewing. It is alot of fun. Looking forward to the rivalry this weekend. Go Sox! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I agree on the greatest hitter tag. However, the greatest player was, of course, Willie Mays.

I like the Red Sox mainly because they are not the Yankees.

QUOTE(REDSOX @ Apr 17 2007 - 11:33 AM) 826439452[/snapback]Gee Sol despise is such a harsh word. I always thought of the Yankees as the bad guys but I guess since we won the World Series in 04 we are the new "Evil Empire". I know, I know we have spent alot of money but surely it gives you more pleasure to despise the Yankees and George Steinbrenner. C'mon we can not be that bad. Anyway as everyone can see by my user name that I am a Redsox fan. I named my son after Ted Williams. In my opinion the greatest hitter ever to have played the game. One thing I do know hating the Yankees is kinda of like hating J.R. Ewing. It is alot of fun. Looking forward to the rivalry this weekend. Go Sox! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Just sick of the hype surrounding them and the Yankees. And even the staunchest of Red Sox supporters have admitted that through their spending they have become the Yankees. That plus after 2004, it became so trendy to be a Red Sox fan that it became sickening. I finally got to the point that when I would see a guy in a Red Sox hat that looked brand new I would begin to ask him elementary Red Sox questions that he would have no idea about just to embarass him.

I've actually casually mentioned to the wife that if/when we have a son that I thought Stan (also in the argument for greatest hitter of all time) would be a good name. She didn't agree. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

QUOTE(Solomon @ Apr 17 2007 - 12:42 PM) 826439511[/snapback]Just sick of the hype surrounding them and the Yankees. And even the staunchest of Red Sox supporters have admitted that through their spending they have become the Yankees. That plus after 2004, it became so trendy to be a Red Sox fan that it became sickening. I finally got to the point that when I would see a guy in a Red Sox hat that looked brand new I would begin to ask him elementary Red Sox questions that he would have no idea about just to embarass him.

I've actually casually mentioned to the wife that if/when we have a son that I thought Stan (also in the argument for greatest hitter of all time) would be a good name. She didn't agree. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Heard a story about Ted Williams and his son touring Cooperstown together and they cane across Stan's plaque. His son asked Ted how good a hitter Stan was. Ted gave the highest compliment Ted could bestow on anyone, He said , "Son, he was as good as your dad." Don't know how true the story is, but have heard it a few times over the years.

QUOTE(jusdontno @ Apr 17 2007 - 01:43 PM) 826439569[/snapback]Heard a story about Ted Williams and his son touring Cooperstown together and they cane across Stan's plaque. His son asked Ted how good a hitter Stan was. Ted gave the highest compliment Ted could bestow on anyone, He said , "Son, he was as good as your dad." Don't know how true the story is, but have heard it a few times over the years.

I've heard that story as well.

I've heard many older fans from home tell me that if he played in one onf the northeastern teams that he would probably be considered one of the three greatest, if not greatest, players of all time.

Post-Dispatch did a few articles on him at the start of the season. He still owns the city.

Let me say this about Stan "The Man ". When he and Ted played they were both considered to be the best in their leagues. Often compared to each other in school yards and at the factory and at the office. I once read a story that St louis had been on a long train trip and when they had finally returned home from a successful road trip there were some fans waiting to meet Stan. He was exhausted and the coaches told him he could sneak off the back of the train like everyone else. He refused and for the next several hours he signed autographs and visited with these very loyal fans. He was the only one who stayed. When I think of the all time greats I think of Ted Williams first but not far behind I think of "The Man" and yes that H.O.F story is true. Stan was one the best but also a man of great character.