QUOTE(REDSOX @ Apr 20 2007 - 11:28 AM) 826441867[/snapback]Let me say this about Stan "The Man ". When he and Ted played they were both considered to be the best in their leagues. Often compared to each other in school yards and at the factory and at the office. I once read a story that St louis had been on a long train trip and when they had finally returned home from a successful road trip there were some fans waiting to meet Stan. He was exhausted and the coaches told him he could sneak off the back of the train like everyone else. He refused and for the next several hours he signed autographs and visited with these very loyal fans. He was the only one who stayed. When I think of the all time greats I think of Ted Williams first but not far behind I think of "The Man" and yes that H.O.F story is true. Stan was one the best but also a man of great character.

Stan still is one of the best guys around. One of the true treasures of St Louis. I liked the old days when most the great players stayed with the same team their whole carreers. Didn't have to wonder which hat they were going to wear when the went into HOF. Stan was a Cardinal, Is a Cardinal and always will be a Cardinal.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Giants 7-game win streak has made me very happy. Even the other Barry (Zito) is is now 2-2 with an ERA below 4.00, has played well lately. The evil Barry (Bonds) has 7 homers. I hope the streak lasts a while. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I grew up in Memphis (thru 7th grade) and was always a Cards fan. I can remember back when the Cards and the Tigers played in the world series. Back then it was always day games. And if you were a fan as a young boy you snuck your transitor radio that had an ear piece to school and listened to the game during school. Man those were the days! But to my fortune my teacher that year was a huge Cardinal fan and she would roll in one of those old black and white TVs from the hallway that were at the school to be used for viewing some local educational tv show. Just for some of you youngsters...back then there were 4 stations...NBC, CBS, ABC and PBS. And back then there was only one game on tv per week. It was the NBC game of the week on Saturday afternoon with Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek. Back to my point, my class got to watch the world series in class. I remember my teacher saying when it went to the 7th game. "Don`t worry, we have Gibby pitching game 7". What a teacher!!! It turned out though the Cards lost in game 7. But the memories of childhood baseball will forever live in my mind.

Now when I got to college at MTSU I was introduced to Braves Baseball. Ted Turner had his team on the SuperStation every game. I found myself cheering for a team that was frankly horrible. Players like Horns, Dale Murphy, Claudell Washington (we called him cricket head) and even Biff Pocaroba. Found myself pulling for them because they were such underdogs. I became a Braves fan. Who`d have ever known that they would eventually become a fixture in the playoffs.

I still have my deep feelings for the Cards, but I`m a Braves fan.

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ Apr 26 2007 - 04:37 PM) 826446175[/snapback]I can remember back when the Cards and the Tigers played in the world series.

Man, all of 6 months ago...............you're right, that was WAAAAAAYYYYYYY back when. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I think this little snipit sums up Cardinals fans best:

After being traded here during the 2004 season, Larry Walker struck out in his first at-bat, and the 45,364 in attendance gave him a standing ovation. "I felt like I was supposed to wave to the crowd and say thanks," Walker said. "I didn't know what to do. I thought maybe I should go back and ask if I could have another strike."

justdontno and I use to coach Dixie baseball together and I remember one day at practice we split our players into 2 teams. We had the ones who were Braves fans playing against the ones who were Cards fans. Needless to say the Braves team won. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(Solomon @ Apr 17 2007 - 09:55 AM) 826439307[/snapback]Been a Cards fan since I was six. First game at old Busch was July 31, 1987. It was a Friday night, and Cards beat the Pirates that night 4-3 to end a 7 game losing streak. Our Christmas cards last year were us at Game 4 of the Series.

And I also despise the Yankees and the Red Sox. But I am planning on going to a game at Yankee Stadium next summer.

Go Cards!

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ Apr 27 2007 - 07:16 PM) 826447106[/snapback]justdontno and I use to coach Dixie baseball together and I remember one day at practice we split our players into 2 teams. We had the ones who were Braves fans playing against the ones who were Cards fans. Needless to say the Braves team won. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

But they flopped in the playoffs /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />