The Countdown Begins...

MPHS, you are desiring equality across the board, yet this isn't equal, is it? Public school coaches can go to middleschools, but private schools can't? I can see if there is one highschool in the county and one middle school in the county (which I assume is somewhat like the conditions in your county) but this isn't the case across the state. It once again comes down to zoning issues, which is not set up by the TSSAA (which I would imagine they will soon try and adress that, too).

You asked in another thread, why fight the split... The reason I don't like it, is because if we did embrace the split, to me, it is like taking a plea bargin. You haven't been found "guilty", but to everyone outside of the situation "see, they DID go by different rules, why else would they split?!" I know it sounds petty, but it is a big deal. I know that publics don't think we abide by the same rules, but we work very hard to do so. Unfortunately, probably not all of privates do, but you could say the same for publics.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(StanTrott @ Apr 23 2007 - 01:41 AM) 826443165[/snapback]cbg,

I have posted in the past that BA has recruited.

I posted that a parent told me that his/her kid

was recruited by BA. The kid played at BA.

Was the parent lying?

Other people have told me that they were recruited

by BA.

Many, many people have the same type of information.

The critical question is will people testify under oath that

BA recruited? To date, no one has testified.

Why would someone come forward and testify about being

recruited? There is no motivation to do so.

The TSSAA's task of proving individuals were recruited is

most difficult, to say the least. Without cooperation and

testimony, the TSSAA needed physical evidence. The

letter and tickets were obviously all they could get their

hands on.

One fact is clear: people have either lied about being recruited

by BA, or BA has lied about not recruiting anyone.

Stan,

Again it is your opinion that they have recruited based on what some people have told you. People have told me the same thing but I have zero proof other than what someone tells me. In fact I have found that many people try to make themself feel good by saying that their "Little Janice/Joe" was recruited to school X,Y, or Z for athletics when in fact they were not.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Apr 22 2007 - 08:02 PM) 826443058[/snapback]Take MP for example. Kids in Maury Co. are zoned. MP 8th graders cant participate in spring drills but will go to MP high school because they are zoned there. You cant recruit kids that are already zoned to your school. So if a coach talks to those kids its not recruiting because they are already forced there. If it was an open zone county I could see your beef. My next question is, can a 8th grader in a unit school participate in that schools spring practice?

As I have said before, Maury County has provisions that essentially allow ANY kid in the county to attend ANY school he or she wants to attend with certain limitations. (Most counties in Tennessee that have multiple high schools also allow this.) Don't make it sound like EVERY kid that MPHS has EVER had has been in the MPHS "zone." I would be willing to bet (if I was a betting man) that MPHS has at least one athlete that lives within the city limits of Columbia RIGHT NOW.

The answer to your "next question" is "yes." Eighth graders in unit schools can participate in spring practice. In fact, they can participate in varsity athletics as eighth graders. I guess technically they could participate in spring practice as seventh graders (assuming they were going to participate in varsity athletics as eighth graders.) I may be making too big of an assumption there. I suppose someone knows the answer for sure.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Apr 22 2007 - 05:52 AM) 826442729[/snapback]BA didnt send them the coach did. That is what the batlle is over now.

What if the coach's secretary sent the letter? What if, as was the case at Boyd Buchannan, the head football coach and the school principal were one in the same? If he sent out the letter on "principal" stationary as opposed to "coach" stationary, then would it have been acceptable? No, the "battle" is not over who sends letters, it's an issue of the First Amendment. And that's not my opinion, it's the opinion of at least two federal district courts and the first Supreme Court ruling.

QUOTE(takedown3 @ Apr 23 2007 - 12:22 PM) 826443504[/snapback]What if the coach's secretary sent the letter? What if, as was the case at Boyd Buchannan, the head football coach and the school principal were one in the same? If he sent out the letter on "principal" stationary as opposed to "coach" stationary, then would it have been acceptable? No, the "battle" is not over who sends letters, it's an issue of the First Amendment. And that's not my opinion, it's the opinion of at least two federal district courts and the first Supreme Court ruling.

Look: NO ONE from the school can recruit student-athletes. That has been the rule for the past twenty-five years. Maybe they just broke the "spirit" of the rules, maybe they broke the rule, I don't want to debate that topic. The bottom line is will this case ever end????????????????????????????????????

When we agree to live by a set of rules... then we should live by them and not run to court when things don't go our way. Maybe BA had a case? They certainly have ran this thing to the high court twice. No matter which way this thing turns out, it will effect not only schools in TN but high schools and colleges around the nation. We may have just opened up pandora's box if BA wins.

QUOTE(ELA @ Apr 23 2007 - 01:24 PM) 826443508[/snapback]Look: NO ONE from the school can recruit student-athletes. That has been the rule for the past twenty-five years. Maybe they just broke the "spirit" of the rules, maybe they broke the rule, I don't want to debate that topic. The bottom line is will this case ever end????????????????????????????????????

When we agree to live by a set of rules... then we should live by them and not run to court when things don't go our way. Maybe BA had a case? They certainly have ran this thing to the high court twice. No matter which way this thing turns out, it will effect not only schools in TN but high schools and colleges around the nation. We may have just opened up pandora's box if BA wins.

BA doesn't keep running this through the apeal process -- it's the TSSAA. BA wishes this thing would have been over 10 years ago when they filed their first apeal with the TSSAA.

QUOTE(ELA @ Apr 23 2007 - 01:24 PM) 826443508[/snapback]Look: NO ONE from the school can recruit student-athletes. That has been the rule for the past twenty-five years.

Ela...Public high school coaches are allowed to go into middle schools and recruit kids. How can you say no one can recruit student athletes? You are just far from the truth.

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ Apr 23 2007 - 02:35 PM) 826443538[/snapback]Ela...Public high school coaches are allowed to go into middle schools and recruit kids. How can you say no one can recruit student athletes? You are just far from the truth.

How is a high school coach who goes to a middle school football team who is also zoned in the same area recruiting? This all goes back to privates have no boundaries. If MP coaches went to Columbia middle schools that would be violation, but if they go talk to MP middle schools that is not because MP middle school is in the same zone as the high school.

QUOTE(takedown3 @ Apr 23 2007 - 01:22 PM) 826443504[/snapback]What if the coach's secretary sent the letter? What if, as was the case at Boyd Buchannan, the head football coach and the school principal were one in the same? If he sent out the letter on "principal" stationary as opposed to "coach" stationary, then would it have been acceptable? No, the "battle" is not over who sends letters, it's an issue of the First Amendment. And that's not my opinion, it's the opinion of at least two federal district courts and the first Supreme Court ruling.

Well tell me why that is such a focal point then by the SC. The letter that is.

QUOTE(Indian @ Apr 23 2007 - 08:40 PM) 826443730[/snapback]He should have picked up the phone, called and found out if it was okay to do it.

I believe they actually they did. The first student contacted the school and ask if it would be OK to attend practice. My understanding is that BA contacted the TSSAA to make sure it was OK and was given the green light. In an effort not to favor one student (and thus give the impression of recruiting him) they decided to contact all of the incoming 8th graders (some of whom were not big athletes). The issue was the contacting of the students, not that they attended practice.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Apr 23 2007 - 05:19 PM) 826443602[/snapback]How is a high school coach who goes to a middle school football team who is also zoned in the same area recruiting?

Because we live in a free will society and NO child is forced to attend any school. No children are "owned" by a school system. There are tons of options. For example in Maury county, the student can apply for a transfer to any of the other schools. That's 4 or 5 other PUBLIC schools that are options. The student could attend Columbia Academy or Zion Christian in county ... or any of the other privates schools out of county. The student could also opt to be homeschooled. So, why would it be OK for any coach to visit a middle school? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="