Which sport got banged the most?

davidlimbaugh

QUOTE(coacht @ Apr 23 2007 - 08:53 PM) 826443751[/snapback]I would rather see a young arm rested at least two months a year, with no throwing, and preferably four months. I would think their mental game would be much better for it, also. There has to come a time, when you are practicing almost year round, when you are just puttting in time but not accomplishing much.

But what I am saying is not every player is a pitcher. There are 8 other guys that need to be working on 1st and 3rd situations, hitting behind the runner, bunt coverages,etc. My son does pitch and is a position player. I make sure he does not get overworked myself, whether it is our summer league team or his high school coach (which is fantastic about not overworking his pitchers). I just hate to see the facilities taken away from the kids that will use them for their benefit and their teams benefit.

And when I mentioned football earlier it was to compare the amount of time, not to knock football cause I love it. But every year we have to be without a few of our better players for a couple of weeks right before the season starts because of spring football. How many football coaches would let 4 or 5 of their best players play in a fall baseball league 2 weeks before their season started? None!!! But we as baseball coaches are expected to turn over our baseball players right before the season starts just because it is football. Somebody please explain that one to me!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NEWSTANG @ Apr 23 2007 - 11:13 PM) 826443917[/snapback]But what I am saying is not every player is a pitcher. There are 8 other guys that need to be working on 1st and 3rd situations, hitting behind the runner, bunt coverages,etc. My son does pitch and is a position player. I make sure he does not get overworked myself, whether it is our summer league team or his high school coach (which is fantastic about not overworking his pitchers). I just hate to see the facilities taken away from the kids that will use them for their benefit and their teams benefit.

And when I mentioned football earlier it was to compare the amount of time, not to knock football cause I love it. But every year we have to be without a few of our better players for a couple of weeks right before the season starts because of spring football. How many football coaches would let 4 or 5 of their best players play in a fall baseball league 2 weeks before their season started? None!!! But we as baseball coaches are expected to turn over our baseball players right before the season starts just because it is football. Somebody please explain that one to me!

I hear ya - with the limited facilties/time now - it will be harder for that .190-.230 hitter with a problem with the curveball to get to the .330-380 range - agreed?

Want a GREAT example of what hard work will do for ya?

Check out Josh Horn's numbers his senior year at Middle last year:

http://www.goblueraiders.com/content.cfm/id/19685

and now:

HORN INKS WITH THUNDERBOLTS: Former Middle Tennessee player Josh Horn has signed a contract for the 2007 season with the Windy City (IL) Thunderbolts in the independent Frontier League. Horn batted .330 in 55 games last season for the Blue Raiders in his only year as a starter, collecting 15 doubles with six home runs and 37 RBIs. He also added 21 walks and 41 runs scored. The Shelbyville, Tenn., native will play for former Blue Raider assistant coach Andy Haines, who was named the manager of the Thunderbolts in September.

He had a great senior season: Horn delivers in clutch as Blue Raiders outlast South Alabama in extra innings

and Senior Josh Horn was one of three Blue Raiders voted to the Sun Belt Championship All-Tournament team.

His junior numbers? http://www.goblueraiders.com/content.cfm/id/16280

1 for 7 for .143

But he worked his you-know-what off and became a great 3rd baseman his senior year! His position in high school at Shelbyville? Second base.... An amazing ballplayer and a more amazing young man!!!! And a great testamanent to hard work and the desire to be better!

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 23 2007 - 11:00 PM) 826443907[/snapback]When it comes to Tennessee High School baseball they don't.... LOL!!!

I don't see it hurting Matt Cain? Catapano threw a great state final last year on 3 days rest and he is doing fine at North Carolina this year. Mikie Minor did the same and he is now the Saturday starter for the #1 team in the nation as true freshman....

Typical seasons (one less now) were spring high school ball - 8-12 appearances, 50 to 80 innings...

Summerball - one appearance a week - maybe a side session in between...

Fall ball - one appearance a week...

The reason summer ball and fall ball are important is so A LOT OF KIDS can Pitch. On a normal high school team,

your sophomore #5 and your junior #6 will be lucky to see any mound time the second half of the year after all

the weekend tournaments are out of the way... Summer ball and fall ball IS when a lot of kids get some mound time....

The kids it does hurt we never hear from.

What happened to senior Babe Ruth/American Legion ball where you had many teams in the summer with four or five pitchers per team? When did it become necessary for high school teams to stay together in the summer?

We have a player who didn't play football two years ago to concentrate on baseball and hit .300 last season. This year he played football and is hitting around .550 right now. There are plenty of examples on both sides. I just think kids need to get away from a sport for awhile, regardless of the sport, and hopefully play something else.

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Apr 23 2007 - 11:42 PM) 826443927[/snapback]and coach Horn is doing a GREAT job with our freshman at RIVERDALE i know my freshman player has learned a lot from him and has worked his you know what off to get to where he is at right now but that is also my freshman son willing to do the extra work in the faclity to get better

If those facilities were school facilities, he won't be in them any more.....such a shame.

Nobody has answered the question..................Why does baseball get only 41 days of open facilities and football gets 196. Will someone just come out and say what I know is your answer. From what I read, the coach can't supervise the open facility in Janurary. Do you really think a school system is going to allow a facility to be open without coach supervision? Heck NO!!!!!! They don't want a law suit when one gets their face shattered. Hey, but at least that kid will get 113 extra chances to kiss that girl. We don't play fall ball..............We just want kids who play nothing else to have the opprotunity to get better. I guess you better make darn good time of those 41 days. I hope all 5'9" QBs use their 196 days to run the wing T and learn to run the option better so they can soak up the dream of playing at Miami or Notre Dame...................Midnight Cinderella!!!!!!!!! /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

QUOTE(coacht @ Apr 23 2007 - 12:04 PM) 826443428[/snapback]Did anyone give a reason for limiting the scrimmages?

i think that you need more scrimmages than this because of the fact that you want your pitchers to have innings pitched against someone before the regular season. you dont want to have to get your pitchers ready by throwin them against their teammates in an intersquad. your hitters also need to see live pitchin from someone other than a teammate.

QUOTE(LeatherBalls @ Apr 24 2007 - 08:36 AM) 826444013[/snapback]Nobody has answered the question..................Why does baseball get only 41 days of open facilities and football gets 196.

Because baseball continues from the high school season through the summer when school is out whereas following the football season is 7 more months of school.

QUOTE(LeatherBalls @ Apr 24 2007 - 08:36 AM) 826444013[/snapback]Nobody has answered the question..................Why does baseball get only 41 days of open facilities and football gets 196. Will someone just come out and say what I know is your answer. From what I read, the coach can't supervise the open facility in Janurary. Do you really think a school system is going to allow a facility to be open without coach supervision? Heck NO!!!!!! They don't want a law suit when one gets their face shattered. Hey, but at least that kid will get 113 extra chances to kiss that girl. We don't play fall ball..............We just want kids who play nothing else to have the opprotunity to get better. I guess you better make darn good time of those 41 days. I hope all 5'9" QBs use their 196 days to run the wing T and learn to run the option better so they can soak up the dream of playing at Miami or Notre Dame...................Midnight Cinderella!!!!!!!!! /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

I would say that there are just as many guys chasing the baseball dream each year that come up empty handed. Face it guys, about 1% of high school players get a scholarship of ANY AMOUNT to play college ball. Play because you love the game. Play every sport you can. Your glory days will soon be over. Then its slow-pitch softball for you.

I see parents spending thousands of dollars on lessons every year hoping their kid gets a $2000 scholarship and then not having any money for them to go to college when they are not good enough for one. Ironic, don't you think? Let 'em play.

QUOTE(82cat @ Apr 23 2007 - 05:54 PM) 826443593[/snapback]great show on real sports the other night that addressed this very issue

a very simple question was asked?

when did playing baseball year round start?

not a single major league coach or player thought it was a good idea to and play as much as kids play now. They all tought it was rediculous a In nd could think of no reason for it.

The number of arm surgeries on young pitchers has sky rocketed and the noted one thing I had never thought of

most good hs pitchers are also good athletes that usaually play a position when not pitching. They warm up before every single game and even though they are not pitching they are still throwing every day.

I am a sports nut and love hs sports but the truth is it has gotten a little out of hand in all sports but baseball is off the charts

It is a fact that we have an increase in injury to younger players, It is also a fact that dads in wanting the best for their kid, will take up the training efforts or kids will do it on their own - this should be in the hands of coaches and qualified instructors or we will see an increase in the injuries. This lock-out of coaches could very easily lead to many more injuries. Last year I know of at least two instances where kids while hitting on their own without coaches supervision took linedrives to the head. They where not thinking, goofing off, or not sure in how to use a screen. A coaches presence would have made a difference.

Fall is a time for many kids to learn the game without the pressure of making a team or winning and losing. It is also a time where many rising seniors can showcase their talents in front of many scouts just before the fall signing period. Why should the kids with means or connections to play travel ball be the only one with this opportunity?

As a former travel coach and a facilty owner I can tell you this is not going to put a cramp in AAU or any of the other travel programs. As a matter of fact if you are saying you are the only game in town, the travel coach can be more selective and put a large price on the opportunity to play. In large markets that have many teams it may not be an issue - but in small markets the choice will be slim and in demand. Our facilty offers lessons at a reasonable price. We will continue to do so, but with the demand it would be easy to jack up prices. My motive is not finacial, but what is best for the kids playing the game, and for the most part that would be working with their qualified high school coach instead of paying me big bucks to get the same instruction.

Arm's are a vauluable asset to baseball players- there are many facets of conditioning that can be done year round that will help in fundementals of throwing and does not hurt the arm. Sure there should be rest times, but kids should learn towel or stick drills, they should learn how to build their arm with the use of bands and when they start a throwing program it should be controlled very closely.

The only way to correct swings is to work. This does not happen in three weeks before a season. I have seen first hand the huge diffrence in the kids that have dedicated time to developing their swing compared to those that have not. I saw one kid go from a .158 batting average to the top hitter in the area with a .400 + average. This effort paid off in a college scholarship. I saw kids that worked on winter throwing programs in our facility go a combined 65-7 in 2006 for their respective high schools. Sure this bodes well for our facilty but dedicated high school coaches could achieve the same thing. Again, we do nothing that a good coach would not do - but now we are the only option - maybe I should not be so upset with this rule and send the TSSAA governing board a thank you note!! But I won't, because they are so wrong in this action for the good of our kids.

One reason baseball got banged the most?

"

It seems like everyone wants to play baseball,” Tribue said. “Some won’t try basketball because they don’t think they are good enough. And it takes too much heart to play football.”

College lure hurts sports

Well, my son played 4 years of high school baseball and he (and I) knew he had no chance of playing college ball but he loved every minute of it...

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Apr 23 2007 - 11:42 PM) 826443927[/snapback]and coach Horn is doing a GREAT job with our freshman at RIVERDALE i know my freshman player has learned a lot from him and has worked his you know what off to get to where he is at right now but that is also my freshman son willing to do the extra work in the faclity to get better

Coach Horn is a great guy....I had a chance to talk to him several times when my freshman team (Coffee County) played the Warriors. He does a great job....his numbers from his junior year to his senior year are very impressive as well.