Which sport got banged the most?

davidlimbaugh

QUOTE(warrior2024 @ Apr 25 2007 - 12:22 PM) 826445068[/snapback]There are no summer leagues in football, no AAU, or other facilities. Football doesn't get punished for the first time and people are crying foul. Baseball and basketball never seem to stop. Football lifts and conditions but do not practice near as much as the other two. football was getting punished for the wrongs of other sports. football also maked the money in this state. Tennessee is a football state. The Vols usually are not half bad and MTSU is building a quality program. The Division IAA National title game is played in Chattanooga. This is a football state.

Nope! This state is a BASEBALL state. Ask folks about Sulpher Dells

More proof this is a BASEBALL state:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/bi...p?loc=Tennessee

262 MLB players from the state of Tennessee..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 25 2007 - 01:03 PM) 826445108[/snapback]Nope! This state is a BASEBALL state. Ask folks about Sulpher Dells

More proof this is a BASEBALL state:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/bi...p?loc=Tennessee

262 MLB players from the state of Tennessee..

Good solid facts right there. I love football but it's hard to argue with the numbers. These new rules imposed by the T$$AA are ludicrous. What you will find is a significant increase in the number of injuries, especially pitchers due to not being game ready early in the season. Someone in an earlier post made a good point, quarterbacks participate in practice everyday, the point guard runs the show everyday in practice, pitchers' get work every 4-5 days and that's if their is a scrimmage every 4-5 days. I mean yes they can work their drills and participate in PFP's but as far as throwing game pitches...well it's hard to do that without a game or scrimmage to throw them in....and it's not like teams need to get just one pitcher some work....teams often need to get 4-5 district pitchers significant work in the pre-season and then add in 4-5 non-district pitchers. The T$$AA really messed this one up....

QUOTE(coacht @ Apr 24 2007 - 06:10 AM) 826443974[/snapback]The kids it does hurt we never hear from.

What happened to senior Babe Ruth/American Legion ball where you had many teams in the summer with four or five pitchers per team? When did it become necessary for high school teams to stay together in the summer?

We have a player who didn't play football two years ago to concentrate on baseball and hit .300 last season. This year he played football and is hitting around .550 right now. There are plenty of examples on both sides. I just think kids need to get away from a sport for awhile, regardless of the sport, and hopefully play something else.

FOOTBALL COACHES started this mess, BASKETBALL COACHES jumped in (along with AAU) and now Baseball... How many players play 3 sports anymore?? when i was in school, there were several who could... now, you don't see many play more than one... why??? because "if you don't concentrate on one sport" you won't make it in college... that my friends is what everybody thinks... parents spend all this money on lessons, if they would save that money in a college fund - they'd have college paid for... no high school player should play sports to get a scholarship - that is totally the wrong motivation - they should play because they love the game, period... high school sports is supposed to be a "part" of the overall educational process... not the main part, just a part... time off is good... if you want to work, get in your backyard, get a tee and a $35 piece of net strung up and hit all you want... you can throw at home... i like the rule, but they should have taken more away from basketball and football

QUOTE(coacht @ Apr 23 2007 - 07:53 PM) 826443751[/snapback]I would rather see a young arm rested at least two months a year, with no throwing, and preferably four months. I would think their mental game would be much better for it, also. There has to come a time, when you are practicing almost year round, when you are just puttting in time but not accomplishing much.

AMEN, brother.... I see it all the time... why do schools have pitchers throwing in November???

QUOTE(warrior2024 @ Apr 25 2007 - 12:22 PM) 826445068[/snapback]There are no summer leagues in football, no AAU, or other facilities. Football doesn't get punished for the first time and people are crying foul. Baseball and basketball never seem to stop. Football lifts and conditions but do not practice near as much as the other two. football was getting punished for the wrongs of other sports. football also maked the money in this state. Tennessee is a football state. The Vols usually are not half bad and MTSU is building a quality program. The Division IAA National title game is played in Chattanooga. This is a football state.

Argument #2

D1 Football has a limit of 85 scholarships

D1 Baseball has a limit of 11.7 scholarships

Guess what Tennessee has more of - D1 Football signees or D1 Baseball signees .... Further proof this is a BASEBALL STATE!

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 26 2007 - 12:12 PM) 826445946[/snapback]Argument #2

D1 Football has a limit of 85 scholarships

D1 Baseball has a limit of 11.7 scholarships

Guess what Tennessee has more of - D1 Football signees or D1 Baseball signees .... Further proof this is a BASEBALL STATE!

Great numbers David. I am not trying to knock football either and don't want anything taken away from football ( just moving spring practice back to spring in April and not February). And if you think this much time off is good for baseball players, you are probably the one that is mad because the ball players can't help set the prom dance up becasue they are playing. (The last part was not for you David).

QUOTE(3-6-3 @ Apr 25 2007 - 02:58 PM) 826445183[/snapback]FOOTBALL COACHES started this mess, BASKETBALL COACHES jumped in (along with AAU) and now Baseball... How many players play 3 sports anymore?? when i was in school, there were several who could... now, you don't see many play more than one... why??? because "if you don't concentrate on one sport" you won't make it in college... that my friends is what everybody thinks... parents spend all this money on lessons, if they would save that money in a college fund - they'd have college paid for... no high school player should play sports to get a scholarship - that is totally the wrong motivation - they should play because they love the game, period... high school sports is supposed to be a "part" of the overall educational process... not the main part, just a part... time off is good... if you want to work, get in your backyard, get a tee and a $35 piece of net strung up and hit all you want... you can throw at home... i like the rule, but they should have taken more away from basketball and football

AMEN, brother.... I see it all the time... why do schools have pitchers throwing in November???

I don't spend money on pitching or hitting instructors so my child can get a scholarship...I do this so my child can compete at the high school level and the college level if he chooses. I do not expect a athletic scholarship, he will get an academic one, but he wants to try to walk on some where and without the extra help his chances are definitely diminished. The more he practices in the field, hitting, as well as pitching the better he will be and his chances to play.

QUOTE(3-6-3 @ Apr 25 2007 - 02:58 PM) 826445183[/snapback]FOOTBALL COACHES started this mess, BASKETBALL COACHES jumped in (along with AAU) and now Baseball... How many players play 3 sports anymore?? when i was in school, there were several who could... now, you don't see many play more than one... why??? because "if you don't concentrate on one sport" you won't make it in college... that my friends is what everybody thinks... parents spend all this money on lessons, if they would save that money in a college fund - they'd have college paid for... no high school player should play sports to get a scholarship - that is totally the wrong motivation - they should play because they love the game, period... high school sports is supposed to be a "part" of the overall educational process... not the main part, just a part... time off is good... if you want to work, get in your backyard, get a tee and a $35 piece of net strung up and hit all you want... you can throw at home... i like the rule, but they should have taken more away from basketball and football

I don't spend money on pitching or hitting instructors so my child can get a scholarship...I do this so my child can compete at the high school level and the college level if he chooses. I do not expect a athletic scholarship, he will get an academic one, but he wants to try to walk on some where and without the extra help his chances are definitely diminished. The more he practices in the field, hitting, as well as pitching the better he will be and his chances to play.

QUOTE(BaseballthruNthru @ Apr 26 2007 - 01:01 PM) 826445985[/snapback]I don't spend money on pitching or hitting instructors so my child can get a scholarship...I do this so my child can compete at the high school level and the college level if he chooses. I do not expect a athletic scholarship, he will get an academic one, but he wants to try to walk on some where and without the extra help his chances are definitely diminished. The more he practices in the field, hitting, as well as pitching the better he will be and his chances to play.

My sons are like me - they enjoyed the practice time as much if not more than the actual game itself (oldest one was a football player, youngest one a baseball player)

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 26 2007 - 01:10 PM) 826445989[/snapback]My sons are like me - they enjoyed the practice time as much if not more than the actual game itself (oldest one was a football player, youngest one a baseball player)

My boys like practice too...but they still want a chance to get in the game. So all of the extra instruction definitely helps.

My statement earlier was really against the nerve of 3-6-3 suggesting that parents should save their money for college. My husband and I (hopefully) have already got that covered academically as well as savings.

One more hint on one of the things behind the new calender rules for baseball and softball?

Just about EVERY high school has a football field to practice on and some sort of weight room. Just about EVERY high school has a GYM to practice in.

Only in baseball and softball has there become some 'haves' with some type of indoor practice facility and the 'have nots'

that do not have them. Remind me again of the numbers of each sport as far as when they can be inside their place to work out?????

Hmmmm..........................

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ Apr 26 2007 - 09:21 PM) 826446381[/snapback]One more hint on one of the things behind the new calender rules for baseball and softball?

Just about EVERY high school has a football field to practice on and some sort of weight room. Just about EVERY high school has a GYM to practice in.

Only in baseball and softball has there become some 'haves' with some type of indoor practice facility and the 'have nots'

that do not have them. Remind me again of the numbers of each sport as far as when they can be inside their place to work out?????

Hmmmm..........................

I agree baseball/ softball really got the raw deal on this. My son does play baseball and in a course of 2 years ( one at middle school, the other high school) has gone from a part time player to a starter . He could not have done this without fall ball and his dedication to practice and keep practicing. He has went from about a .200 hitter to a .300 hitter. He has increased his power alot. ( kudos to Coach Sheffield and Coach Horn). And these men worked with him because of the potential the see in him not for money . (They really dont make much in Fall). He really enjoys being on a team and most of his teammates are his best friends so I would rather have them out running on a baseball field together than out running the roads. My son likes football and basketball too, but he knows he is not as talented at those sports, so why does the TSSAA want to penalize these players for wanting to be the best they can be at baseball? It makes no sense but then again are they going to be going to every city in the state to be able to enforce these rules? Will we end up with a split squad with another team? If we do I hardly think it would be teams from our own District. Then you are talking about travel expenses. What about people that cant afford private instructing. Those kids will fall behind those that will be able to afford it. Playing school ball is already expensive enough.