Maryville! What makes Coach Quarles tick?

theDL

Hello friends, the DL is back to take a poll for an upcoming article and he need your help.

Some people have called Maryville High School Football Coach George Quarles "destiny." His godlike status has spread from Tennesse throughout the US and now the word on the grapevine is that peole throughout the world are trying to find out the 'secret to his success.'

The DL doesn't know him personally and he is going to do this article only from secondhand sources before he goes directly to the man himself.

So friends, with a divine coaching record and attention worldwide, "What makes impunitable Coach Quarles tick?"

The DL really appreciates your help friends. He will cite this website is his article! Much thanks.

The DL has the DL (and that's the down low my friends)! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are in the order of importance and are strictly my opinion as i have only spoken to Coach on two ocassions.

1. Very knowledgeable.

2. Humble.

3.. Great assistants.

4. Good players and great competition within the program

5. Community support

6. Tradition

7. Very good facilities

8. The advantage of accepting transfers.

9. Mobility of parents. Parents willing to move into the community so they and their football playing sons can be a pert of the program.

10. Being a 5-A school playing in a 4-A classifacation.

QUOTE(redandblack63 @ May 1 2007 - 09:04 AM) 826449018[/snapback]These are in the order of importance and are strictly my opinion as i have only spoken to Coach on two ocassions.

1. Very knowledgeable.

2. Humble.

3.. Great assistants.

5. Community support

6. Tradition

7. Very good facilities

9. Mobility of parents. Parents willing to move into the community so they and their football playing sons can be a pert of the program.

11. Excellent mobility in garbige servuss.

Gold Balls, lots and lots of Gold Balls! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Seriously though anyone in Tn has to give the man his due because he DOES win and at the same time does what is best for his players. In turn they give him their best.....game after game after game!

Simple. The guy seems to have a moral code by which he lives his life. He does unto others, as he would have.... He makes decision after decision, some big some, small based on a strong self knowledge of right and wrong. This is why he receives reciprocity from the community, college coaches, peers, assistants, players, parents, adminstration, students, etc. He handled the BA opportunity openly and honestly and in a timely fashion. He does'nt inflate his players capabilities in the eye's of scouts, parents, or the players themselves. If he indicates to Auburn or UT that Carl Stewart or Tyler Maples or Aaron Douglas is a worthy recipient of a scholarship, and will be a model student athlete; his word will be taken. While the team has some stars, it appears to me that even those stars understand that the "whole" is far more valuable than the part(s). That is why they go there. They understand that the "whole" is a winner, and is attractive, and therefore those parts will be attractive. They understand they are just a part of a greater system.....just what high level college programs want in a great athlete. He does the little things. Pays attention to the feeder programs...makes sure they run a offense/defense that can be intergrated, and that the players understand it early. He has relationships with people outside of his immediate area that point talent in his direction. Makes sure he has consistency on his staff. Has a good strength and conditioning program. Shares the talented players with other coaches at the school. Simple. He just does whatever the next right thing is. He seems to keep doing that. Over the years, all those little right things have added up to great big success.

Guest workinprogress

QUOTE(redandblack63 @ May 1 2007 - 10:04 AM) 826449018[/snapback]These are in the order of importance and are strictly my opinion as i have only spoken to Coach on two ocassions.

1. Very knowledgeable.

2. Humble.

3.. Great assistants.

5. Community support

6. Tradition

7. Very good facilities

I think another thing is his work ethic. He seems to be an extremely hard worker with high expectations of himself, his staff, and his team. The work pays off. He also seems to be very consistent. This I would imagine would pay off because players know what the expectations are before they even start the program. I recently had the chance to hear him speak at the Vanderbilt Clinic and the man was so humble and down to earth. He seemed very genuine in nature which kids respond very well to. Probably what impressed me the most was his willingness to help and share his stories and knowledge. I dont know much about him but he is obviously well respected and a great coach and person.