ensworth

Ensworth does not yet have the talent to compete with the upper lever private schools. nowhere close

If the new mayor or school board keeps Hillwood's zoning the same, expect Ensworth to keep getting the majority of West Nashville's finest student-athletes. Excellent coaching and excellent facilities will elevate the tigers to MBA and BA's status in a few years.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me try to clear up this nonsense once and for all. Matt Arent loved Ensworth (still loves Ensworth). His experience at Ensworth was better than could be expected. His parents loved Ensworth. The academics are outstanding. the athletics, especially the coaches, are outstanding. The teachers are great. He had great friends (still has) at Ensworth.

It is no one's business, but it is common knowledge that Matt left Ensworth for financial reasons. His mother worked for Northwest Airlines. Northwest went into bankruptcy and their bankruptcy cut her salary in half. His father sells software to trucking companies and, with record fuel costs among other issues plaguing the industry, business is uncertain. Even after adjusted statements were submitted to the people in Princeton, Matt's family did not feel comfortable committing to the reduced cost. They had paid 100% of his tuition for two years and felt that if they could not continue to pay for Ensworth then MLK was a good (great) alternative. Everyone at Ensworth was very supportive and every effort (within the rules) was made to keep Matt at Ensworth. I truly believe and will forever believe that Ensworh wanted to keep Matt because he is a great kid and an outstanding student. Matt misses the sports at Ensworth much more than Ensworth sports will ever miss Matt.

Thankfully the TSSAA did not choose to punish Matt by making him sit out a year because of things he had no control over. Matt received a hardship ruling from Mr. Carter because he met the specific criteria outlined in the TSSAA rules. His family is grateful that there is a rule allowing exceptions for kids like Matt.

Regarding recruiting, Matt is 6'3" tall and 216 pounds. He plays basketball, football and baseball. He has a 3.8 GPA and has test scores in the top 2%. He is an all state football player and hit .480 and .415 in the last two baseball seasons. MATT ARENT WAS NEVER RECRUITED BY ANY HIGH SCHOOL. He was not recruited to Ensworth. He was not recruited from Ensworth to Hillsboro. He attended football camp at BA every year and Coach Flatt never recruited him. I am convinced that recruiting is a myth!

Kids are attracted to schools by good coaching, good facilities and good academics. There are no "scholarships" for high school football players. The division two schools offer financial aid to every admitted student based on the financial statement provided by the family. I am sure some parents and some students represent this financial aid to people as a "scholarship". If it makes them feel better, great. It is absurd to think that division 2 schools like Ensworth (or MBA or BA) would sacrifice their integrity to attract a high school athlete. You don't have to spend much time at any of these schools to know that they are run by people who are more concerned with academics and integrity than with football. They are right to assume that a great school will attract great athletes. They spend their time and money on building great schools, great kids, including great athletes are attracted to their school because it is great.

Hillsboro is a similar story. I know many of the kids who attend Hillsboro rather than their zoned schools. Most are at Hillsboro because it is a better school. Hillsboro has been lauded by US News and World Report as one of the top 100 public schools in nation. I won't waste anyone's time describing the problems at some of the High Schools these kids are zoned to attend. Many kids who don't play football choose to attend Hillsboro rather than attend the failing school that they are zoned to attend. The kids who do play football are also attracted to the success of the Hillsboro football team. Coach Blade, and Coach Adeylotte before him, should be credited for building and growing a winning tradition at Hillsboro. Until another metro school can provide the same combination of athletic and academic excellence, and as long as open enrollment continues to be the rule in metro schools, Hillsboro will continue to attract top students and top football players.

Families are attracted to excellence. There is no need cross any lines or break any rules if you can present an excellent alternative to the student.

I know I won't stop the whole recruiting discussion but I hope I can stop any further discussion of Matt Arent. His family is grateful to the people at Ensworth for the time he spent there. They are pleased that Matt has the opportunity to attend an excellent school like MLK and play football for an excellent program and Hillsboro. Matt is thankful to Ronnie Carter and the TSSAA for injecting common sense into a difficult transition for him and allowing him to play sports last year. (we should all be happy when the TSSAA puts the interest of the kid before the interest of coaches or schools)

Last, this post is asking if Ensworth is ready for the ???big time???? The answer is yes. Ensworth has big time coaches, big time facilities, and most importantly they have big time kids. Go Tigers!

Excellent post!

However, I have one question, How could students not zoned to Hillsboro attend Hillsboro? All you ever hear from public school coaches is that they can only take kids zoned for their school. I think this proves that is a falsehood!

ensworth is shaping up to be a solid team in the coming years, but they are far too inexperienced and are too small at the line to pose much threat to teams like McCallie and MBA this year.

But with the talent they're bringing in, along with the coaching staff they have over there, they're going to eventually be a force to be wreckoned with.

Dont wanna offend any Ensworth supporters and wont give names, only answering since someone asked, but a couple of the recent transfers to hillsboro did so because they simply werent happy at ensworth. while they had friends, they simply did not like the environment, simply stated .

I dont know where you got that from...I know for a fact that the Blihovdes strongly dislike Hillsboro compared to Ensworth and would come back in a heart beat but had to leave for money and family issues, and did not choose to....and another left for grades and another for money

Let me try to clear up this nonsense once and for all. Matt Arent loved Ensworth (still loves Ensworth). His experience at Ensworth was better than could be expected. His parents loved Ensworth. The academics are outstanding. the athletics, especially the coaches, are outstanding. The teachers are great. He had great friends (still has) at Ensworth.

It is no one's business, but it is common knowledge that Matt left Ensworth for financial reasons. His mother worked for Northwest Airlines. Northwest went into bankruptcy and their bankruptcy cut her salary in half. His father sells software to trucking companies and, with record fuel costs among other issues plaguing the industry, business is uncertain. Even after adjusted statements were submitted to the people in Princeton, Matt's family did not feel comfortable committing to the reduced cost. They had paid 100% of his tuition for two years and felt that if they could not continue to pay for Ensworth then MLK was a good (great) alternative. Everyone at Ensworth was very supportive and every effort (within the rules) was made to keep Matt at Ensworth. I truly believe and will forever believe that Ensworh wanted to keep Matt because he is a great kid and an outstanding student. Matt misses the sports at Ensworth much more than Ensworth sports will ever miss Matt.

Thankfully the TSSAA did not choose to punish Matt by making him sit out a year because of things he had no control over. Matt received a hardship ruling from Mr. Carter because he met the specific criteria outlined in the TSSAA rules. His family is grateful that there is a rule allowing exceptions for kids like Matt.

Regarding recruiting, Matt is 6'3" tall and 216 pounds. He plays basketball, football and baseball. He has a 3.8 GPA and has test scores in the top 2%. He is an all state football player and hit .480 and .415 in the last two baseball seasons. MATT ARENT WAS NEVER RECRUITED BY ANY HIGH SCHOOL. He was not recruited to Ensworth. He was not recruited from Ensworth to Hillsboro. He attended football camp at BA every year and Coach Flatt never recruited him. I am convinced that recruiting is a myth!

Kids are attracted to schools by good coaching, good facilities and good academics. There are no "scholarships" for high school football players. The division two schools offer financial aid to every admitted student based on the financial statement provided by the family. I am sure some parents and some students represent this financial aid to people as a "scholarship". If it makes them feel better, great. It is absurd to think that division 2 schools like Ensworth (or MBA or BA) would sacrifice their integrity to attract a high school athlete. You don't have to spend much time at any of these schools to know that they are run by people who are more concerned with academics and integrity than with football. They are right to assume that a great school will attract great athletes. They spend their time and money on building great schools, great kids, including great athletes are attracted to their school because it is great.

Hillsboro is a similar story. I know many of the kids who attend Hillsboro rather than their zoned schools. Most are at Hillsboro because it is a better school. Hillsboro has been lauded by US News and World Report as one of the top 100 public schools in nation. I won't waste anyone's time describing the problems at some of the High Schools these kids are zoned to attend. Many kids who don't play football choose to attend Hillsboro rather than attend the failing school that they are zoned to attend. The kids who do play football are also attracted to the success of the Hillsboro football team. Coach Blade, and Coach Adeylotte before him, should be credited for building and growing a winning tradition at Hillsboro. Until another metro school can provide the same combination of athletic and academic excellence, and as long as open enrollment continues to be the rule in metro schools, Hillsboro will continue to attract top students and top football players.

Families are attracted to excellence. There is no need cross any lines or break any rules if you can present an excellent alternative to the student.

I know I won't stop the whole recruiting discussion but I hope I can stop any further discussion of Matt Arent. His family is grateful to the people at Ensworth for the time he spent there. They are pleased that Matt has the opportunity to attend an excellent school like MLK and play football for an excellent program and Hillsboro. Matt is thankful to Ronnie Carter and the TSSAA for injecting common sense into a difficult transition for him and allowing him to play sports last year. (we should all be happy when the TSSAA puts the interest of the kid before the interest of coaches or schools)

Last, this post is asking if Ensworth is ready for the ???big time???? The answer is yes. Ensworth has big time coaches, big time facilities, and most importantly they have big time kids. Go Tigers!

one of the best post i have seen!!!! thanks for clearing it all up and people can stop spreading rumors and stuff about these fine young Ensworth kids that had to leave....

Excellent post!

However, I have one question, How could students not zoned to Hillsboro attend Hillsboro? All you ever hear from public school coaches is that they can only take kids zoned for their school. I think this proves that is a falsehood!

For the (hopefully) last time, he plays at Hillsboro because MLK does not have a football team. MLK co-ops for football with Hillsboro. He IS zoned for Hillsboro for football. Hume Fogg co-ops for football with Hillwood. East Literature co-ops with Stratford. Merrol Hyde in Hendersonville co-ops with Station Camp. The School of the Arts in Nashville co-ops with the American Hackysack League.

Please don't speak speak out when you have zero knowledge of what you are talking about. Oh yeah, I forgot. That is what Coacht was founded upon.

For the (hopefully) last time, he plays at Hillsboro because MLK does not have a football team. MLK co-ops for football with Hillsboro. He IS zoned for Hillsboro for football. Hume Fogg co-ops for football with Hillwood. East Literature co-ops with Stratford. Merrol Hyde in Hendersonville co-ops with Station Camp. The School of the Arts in Nashville co-ops with the American Hackysack League.

Please don't speak speak out when you have zero knowledge of what you are talking about. Oh yeah, I forgot. That is what Coacht was founded upon.

bigchief, you should practice what you preach. If you can't answer the question, then refrain from taking pot shots at others and move on. All I did was simply ask a question which you failed to answer. After reading your post a few times, I can now understand your tactic. You can't answer the question so you stoop to take shots at others. Does this make you feel better? Talk about zero knowledge, is it possible for you to be so inept that you did not understand the question? It was stated that there are kids at Hillsboro that are not zoned for the school. I only asked how is that possible when coaches always say then can only take kids from their zone. If you would like, I can quote what was said in the prior post which was an excellent post.

If you can't answer the question, then take your own advice and don't speak. Talk about zero knowledge, you take the cake!

bigchief, you should practice what you preach. If you can't answer the question, then refrain from taking pot shots at others and move on. All I did was simply ask a question which you failed to answer. After reading your post a few times, I can now understand your tactic. You can't answer the question so you stoop to take shots at others. Does this make you feel better? Talk about zero knowledge, is it possible for you to be so inept that you did not understand the question? It was stated that there are kids at Hillsboro that are not zoned for the school. I only asked how is that possible when coaches always say then can only take kids from their zone. If you would like, I can quote what was said in the prior post which was an excellent post.

If you can't answer the question, then take your own advice and don't speak. Talk about zero knowledge, you take the cake!

My understanding is that metro schools have an annual open enrollment period. (I think it is Jan-Feb). Incoming freshman from outside of a school's zone can apply for admission to any school as long as there is space available. There is also a provision for moving to a school outside of a student??™s zoned school if the zoned school does not offer a particular class or group of classes that a student is interested in taking.

I don't think we should ever feel sorry for metro coaches. My point was that Hillsboro, and the top private schools, attract kids they do not recruit kids. My other point was that most of the kids who are attracted to Hillsboro are attracted to the stronger academics as documented by USN&WR. For the kids who play football, the attraction is even greater because of the tradition of a winning football team.

Open zoning is a good thing because it is about the kids and their families. It is not about the coaches or the football teams. If a coach ever promoted a rule that prevented a kid or his family from an opportunity in order to ensure he could keep "his players??? that would be a tragedy.

Build better schools and better programs and you will attract kids. Kids who live in a particular zone do not belong to any coach. If they choose to attend another school (public or private) it is because their family felt it was the best opportunity for them to have the best future. This is good.

Sorry, this post is about the Tigers. They are ready and they will make the playoffs.

My understanding is that metro schools have an annual open enrollment period. (I think it is Jan-Feb). Incoming freshman from outside of a school's zone can apply for admission to any school as long as there is space available. There is also a provision for moving to a school outside of a student??™s zoned school if the zoned school does not offer a particular class or group of classes that a student is interested in taking.

I don't think we should ever feel sorry for metro coaches. My point was that Hillsboro, and the top private schools, attract kids they do not recruit kids. My other point was that most of the kids who are attracted to Hillsboro are attracted to the stronger academics as documented by USN&WR. For the kids who play football, the attraction is even greater because of the tradition of a winning football team.

Open zoning is a good thing because it is about the kids and their families. It is not about the coaches or the football teams. If a coach ever promoted a rule that prevented a kid or his family from an opportunity in order to ensure he could keep "his players??? that would be a tragedy.

Build better schools and better programs and you will attract kids. Kids who live in a particular zone do not belong to any coach. If they choose to attend another school (public or private) it is because their family felt it was the best opportunity for them to have the best future. This is good.

Sorry, this post is about the Tigers. They are ready and they will make the playoffs.

Thanks for the explaining this. That is why I asked the question because I was not exactly sure of the rules. Great job.

As for this being an Ensworth post, you are correct. They will make some noise this year, however, I believe that Ricky and crew are about 2 years away from competing with the elite. They do not have the depth of the bigger schools, however, it is coming. He and his staff have done a wonderful job and it easy to get good athletes and students to Ensworth when you see their campus. It is beautiful.

Looking forward to the Ensworth/MBA game, which also happens to be MBA's Homecoming. It will be Homecoming for more than just the Big Red, it will be homecoming for Ricky and crew.

Good Luck!