ensworth

QUOTE(rollredroll @ May 2 2007 - 09:17 PM) 826450441[/snapback]Could you elaborate? With no senior class (and thus no attrition due to graduation) and the current school year still in session (and therefore the decision to return to football doesn't necessarily have to be made now), how can a new school lose talent at this point of the year, unless it is due to career-ending injury or withdrawal from school (neither of which would seem likely)?

Its a good question---But you've answered it correctly in your post. At least one and maybe two very solid contributors have had multiple concussions and are doubtful for contact sports in the future-- just bad breaks. And another strong player left school for academic reasons. Still some solid talent (Jefferson, Leathers, Davis and others) and very good group of 8th graders moving up. The starters will be OK, but they won't have a lot of depth.

Also-- in reply to Big Red Dog's post---- let's don't get too self righteous about "feeder" schools while Joe Davis and Backfield in Motion are scouring North, East and South Nashville for all the talent they can find and getting them on the MBA campus at every possible opportunity. I'm not saying that they don't do good work. They do and they help a lot of kids who need it. But they don't hold their clinics at Ryan, Hillsboro or BA (or Ensworth). Also-- I don't know the answer to this question, but where did Moses Osemwegie (like Tavarres Jefferson, a great kid and a solid student) go to elementary school? How many other Big Red alums from that school?-- like I said, I don't know the answer, I'm just curious. And as to whether Tavarres Jefferson is a football prospect or not, if you're curious, go to www.ensworth.com and click on the Media Library, Browse, Athletics and watch the video highlights of last season's game against Rossville Christian. The other team wasn't very good, but his runs in that game convinced me that he has the potential to be a very special football player-- although he's quite a basketball player too.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Manzikert @ May 5 2007 - 04:43 PM) 826452512[/snapback]Its a good question---But you've answered it correctly in your post. At least one and maybe two very solid contributors have had multiple concussions and are doubtful for contact sports in the future-- just bad breaks. And another strong player left school for academic reasons. Still some solid talent (Jefferson, Leathers, Davis and others) and very good group of 8th graders moving up. The starters will be OK, but they won't have a lot of depth.

Also-- in reply to Big Red Dog's post---- let's don't get too self righteous about "feeder" schools while Joe Davis and Backfield in Motion are scouring North, East and South Nashville for all the talent they can find and getting them on the MBA campus at every possible opportunity. I'm not saying that they don't do good work. They do and they help a lot of kids who need it. But they don't hold their clinics at Ryan, Hillsboro or BA (or Ensworth). Also-- I don't know the answer to this question, but where did Moses Osemwegie (like Tavarres Jefferson, a great kid and a solid student) go to elementary school? How many other Big Red alums from that school?-- like I said, I don't know the answer, I'm just curious. And as to whether Tavarres Jefferson is a football prospect or not, if you're curious, go to www.ensworth.com and click on the Media Library, Browse, Athletics and watch the video highlights of last season's game against Rossville Christian. The other team wasn't very good, but his runs in that game convinced me that he has the potential to be a very special football player-- although he's quite a basketball player too.

Moses went to Eakin Elementary in the Hillboro Village/Vanderbilt area. I believe there were two or three other boys in his class from Eakin including Ingle Martin, although he left Eakin and went to Oak Hill before attending MBA.

QUOTE(Manzikert @ May 5 2007 - 04:43 PM) 826452512[/snapback]Its a good question---But you've answered it correctly in your post. At least one and maybe two very solid contributors have had multiple concussions and are doubtful for contact sports in the future-- just bad breaks. And another strong player left school for academic reasons. Still some solid talent (Jefferson, Leathers, Davis and others) and very good group of 8th graders moving up. The starters will be OK, but they won't have a lot of depth.

Whoa, easy now. Not sure what you mean by "self righteous". Just having a little fun.

I will say, though, that it is hilarious that you would think that Joe Davis and Backfield In Motion are "scouring North, East and South Nashville". To think that Joe has an impact on admissions is laughable. Gioia can't stand him. BIM does hold some events at MBA, but could it be that MBA is committed to being a visable presence in the community and opening their facilities to those with less? Of course there is a connection between Joe and MBA, but to think of BIM as a recruiting vehicle is silly. Say what you will about Joe, but he does a lot of good. I don't see too many other schools offering up their facilities, either. The bottom line is that MBA will not bend their requirements for athletes. Neither I, nor you, can say that for Ensworth. I just read that the incoming 7th grade class has a yield of over 98%. 115 of the 117 kids accepted have chosen to enroll next year. Its been well documented and discussed that Ensworth and Bowers have forged close relationships with AAU and Middle School coaches in other parts of town. The trio of Jefferson, Adjeo (sp?), and Pope were all on the same AAU team and zoned for McGavock. They have also accepted several kids for next year who are zoned for Whites Creek. Not only have I heard this and read it, I have heard much of it from Ensworth families and two members of the staff.

As for Moses, I think RedTwin answered that one for you. Just curious...why did you single out Moses out of all the great kids to come out of MBA?

I saw the highlights and Jefferson is, without a doubt, an incredible athlete. I was told by several people "in the know" that he is likely to play basketball, rather than football, in college.

QUOTE(TheBigRedDog @ May 7 2007 - 09:15 PM) 826453890[/snapback]Whoa, easy now. Not sure what you mean by "self righteous". Just having a little fun.

I will say, though, that it is hilarious that you would think that Joe Davis and Backfield In Motion are "scouring North, East and South Nashville". To think that Joe has an impact on admissions is laughable. Gioia can't stand him. BIM does hold some events at MBA, but could it be that MBA is committed to being a visable presence in the community and opening their facilities to those with less? Of course there is a connection between Joe and MBA, but to think of BIM as a recruiting vehicle is silly. Say what you will about Joe, but he does a lot of good. I don't see too many other schools offering up their facilities, either. The bottom line is that MBA will not bend their requirements for athletes. Neither I, nor you, can say that for Ensworth. I just read that the incoming 7th grade class has a yield of over 98%. 115 of the 117 kids accepted have chosen to enroll next year. Its been well documented and discussed that Ensworth and Bowers have forged close relationships with AAU and Middle School coaches in other parts of town. The trio of Jefferson, Adjeo (sp?), and Pope were all on the same AAU team and zoned for McGavock. They have also accepted several kids for next year who are zoned for Whites Creek. Not only have I heard this and read it, I have heard much of it from Ensworth families and two members of the staff.

As for Moses, I think RedTwin answered that one for you. Just curious...why did you single out Moses out of all the great kids to come out of MBA?

I saw the highlights and Jefferson is, without a doubt, an incredible athlete. I was told by several people "in the know" that he is likely to play basketball, rather than football, in college.

As I said, I didn't know the answer about Moses-- I do know that he was (and is) a great kid and I said so. I singled him out for the same reason that you singled Tavarres out--- and did so without having the facts-- just like you don't know the facts about the Ensworth kids you're talking about. If you ever met and spent time with any of them-- especially the two you named in your post, Gary Pope and Miles Asafo Adjae, you'd retract your comments about Ensworth bending the rules for athletes--- Both are outstanding students and young men. Tavarres is also a good kid and a solid student who works hard and does fine. And as long as we're "having a little fun"---- what's with the implication that taking kids who don't happen to live between Franklin Rd and Charlotte equals "bending the rules for athletes". My understanding is that Ensworth's incoming 9th grade will be roughly 125 students and that they didn't take one student off of the wait list. I'm also aware of some past situations in which they've turned down some really outstanding athletes-- including one now starting for MBA (not in football)--- but who probably won't be on the Hill much longer--- MBA gave the kid a chance when Ensworth didn't and it hasn't worked out---and don't get me wrong, I recognize that the reverse situation will probably occur someday. All in, from what I know (and I'm pretty familiar with both places) Ensworth's academic standards are pretty much the same as MBA's, and they (Ensworth) have taken full advantage of having a "clean piece of paper" to put together a remarkably innovative, integrated curriculum and academic program.

As for Backfield in Motion--- as I said, I know they do lots of good. And I'd agree that Joe is unlikely to swing a big stick in admissions decisions (good judgment by the Big Red there), but I also know a number of folks who've worked there, coached teams for them etc, and if you think MBA football played no role in Joe's decision to start the program, then IMHO, you're being naive. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

QUOTE(TheBigRedDog @ May 7 2007 - 09:15 PM) 826453890[/snapback]Whoa, easy now. Not sure what you mean by "self righteous". Just having a little fun.

Just to clarify for you. Jefferson was zoned for McGavock. Miles was already at East Literature where his sister still attends. I believe Pope is actually zoned for Stratford. They did play AAU together so you were not entirely wrong. A little side note. Current freshman Malcolm Grigsby was also at East Lit last year and one of the best middle school players in town. After taking our two best incoming players the last two years, do you still wonder why we will not schedule you? /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

QUOTE(bigchief @ May 8 2007 - 07:35 AM) 826454171[/snapback]Just to clarify for you. Jefferson was zoned for McGavock. Miles was already at East Literature where his sister still attends. I believe Pope is actually zoned for Stratford. They did play AAU together so you were not entirely wrong. A little side note. Current freshman Malcolm Grigsby was also at East Lit last year and one of the best middle school players in town. After taking our two best incoming players the last two years, do you still wonder why we will not schedule you? /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Agree with you. Why would a public school ever schedule a private school unless they are in your region and you are forced to play them! I have lost tooo many good kids to the privates. I'm sure this will get them going?? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(coachfoozeball @ May 8 2007 - 09:45 AM) 826454301[/snapback]Agree with you. Why would a public school ever schedule a private school unless they are in your region and you are forced to play them! I have lost tooo many good kids to the privates. I'm sure this will get them going?? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

How exactly are they "your" kids?

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE(Manzikert @ May 7 2007 - 11:26 PM) 826454080[/snapback]As I said, I didn't know the answer about Moses-- I do know that he was (and is) a great kid and I said so. I singled him out for the same reason that you singled Tavarres out--- and did so without having the facts-- just like you don't know the facts about the Ensworth kids you're talking about. If you ever met and spent time with any of them-- especially the two you named in your post, Gary Pope and Miles Asafo Adjae, you'd retract your comments about Ensworth bending the rules for athletes--- Both are outstanding students and young men. Tavarres is also a good kid and a solid student who works hard and does fine. And as long as we're "having a little fun"---- what's with the implication that taking kids who don't happen to live between Franklin Rd and Charlotte equals "bending the rules for athletes". My understanding is that Ensworth's incoming 9th grade will be roughly 125 students and that they didn't take one student off of the wait list. I'm also aware of some past situations in which they've turned down some really outstanding athletes-- including one now starting for MBA (not in football)--- but who probably won't be on the Hill much longer--- MBA gave the kid a chance when Ensworth didn't and it hasn't worked out---and don't get me wrong, I recognize that the reverse situation will probably occur someday. All in, from what I know (and I'm pretty familiar with both places) Ensworth's academic standards are pretty much the same as MBA's, and they (Ensworth) have taken full advantage of having a "clean piece of paper" to put together a remarkably innovative, integrated curriculum and academic program.

As for Backfield in Motion--- as I said, I know they do lots of good. And I'd agree that Joe is unlikely to swing a big stick in admissions decisions (good judgment by the Big Red there), but I also know a number of folks who've worked there, coached teams for them etc, and if you think MBA football played no role in Joe's decision to start the program, then IMHO, you're being naive. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

First of all, let me apologize for my delayed response. Haven't been on here in a while.

I didn't single out Jefferson. He was brought up in earlier posts and I was simply commenting in response. You, however, did indeed single out Moses. I also made no comments as to the character of any Ensworth athletes. I merely wrote what I have read and been told by actual members of the football coaching staff and faculty who are friends and/or aquantances of mine. As for where Ensworth or MBA gets their respective students, certainly, the Franklin Road/Charlotte Pike corridor is by no means where they should get all their students. I'm realistic. I myself drove 30 minutes each way to MBA from Williamson County when I was in school. However, you and I both know what's really going on over there. I know Ricky Bowers...and as much as I love and respect the guy, he wants to go get athletes whever he can. Now, I'm all for MBA or Ensworth taking a chance on some kids here and there (which is what MBA does...rarely). Its important to diversify and reach out to kids who wouldn't normally get the chance. However, the academic requirements at Ensworth are not at the level of MBA. If you believe otherwise, then you are being naive.

Regarding Joe Davis, I'm quite sure that Joe had MBA football in mind when he started Backfield in Motion. I promise you, I know a lot more about that organization than most. Joe thinks a lot of himself. He likes to think he has pull, but he really doesn't, at least when it comes to admissions. MBA (Gioia) would never let him inflouence admissions, as I said before.