ensworth

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, let me apologize for my delayed response. Haven't been on here in a while.

I didn't single out Jefferson. He was brought up in earlier posts and I was simply commenting in response. You, however, did indeed single out Moses. I also made no comments as to the character of any Ensworth athletes. I merely wrote what I have read and been told by actual members of the football coaching staff and faculty who are friends and/or aquantances of mine. As for where Ensworth or MBA gets their respective students, certainly, the Franklin Road/Charlotte Pike corridor is by no means where they should get all their students. I'm realistic. I myself drove 30 minutes each way to MBA from Williamson County when I was in school. However, you and I both know what's really going on over there. I know Ricky Bowers...and as much as I love and respect the guy, he wants to go get athletes whever he can. Now, I'm all for MBA or Ensworth taking a chance on some kids here and there (which is what MBA does...rarely). Its important to diversify and reach out to kids who wouldn't normally get the chance. However, the academic requirements at Ensworth are not at the level of MBA. If you believe otherwise, then you are being naive.

Regarding Joe Davis, I'm quite sure that Joe had MBA football in mind when he started Backfield in Motion. I promise you, I know a lot more about that organization than most. Joe thinks a lot of himself. He likes to think he has pull, but he really doesn't, at least when it comes to admissions. MBA (Gioia) would never let him inflouence admissions, as I said before.

I don't get here that often either, so I'm slow to respond as well--- Regarding "singling out"--- your question "is that a feeder school for Ensworth" struck me as a snide remark--- maybe an overreaction on my part, and if so, I apologize. I wanted to ask a simialrly snide question about an MBA player and Moses came to mind, probably because he, like Tavarres, has a somewhat unusual name. As I said, when I asked, I didn't have the facts. I know both young men and both are fine kids--- I'd be delighted for my kids to be friends with them, coached by them, whatever-- let's just call that even-- it was probably a dumb topic to bring up. You and I agree on a lot of points. We disagree about comparative academic standards. I'm quite familiar with the programs at MBA, Harpeth Hall, Hume Fogg, McCallie and USN, as well as Ensworth. I'm a past parent at MBA and several other of those schools. My kids have all gone to colleges that any of those schools would be proud to put on those lists that they publish every year about this time. I don't have any high school aged kids now, but if I did, I can say without reservation that I would want him or her to choose Ensworth High School in preference to any of the schools I named, or any other school in Tennessee. That's not to say that the schools I named aren't all fine schools-- but I think the program and the culture that's being put in place at Ensworth is simply extraordinary. That's just my opinion, but I suggest that you would be unwise to write it off as "naive". You are, of course, free to ignore me, but if you do so, don't forget that old saying "pride goeth before a fall". Or as Andy Grove put it somewhat more colorfully, "only the paranoid survive". Cheers.

First of all, let me apologize for my delayed response. Haven't been on here in a while.

I didn't single out Jefferson. He was brought up in earlier posts and I was simply commenting in response. You, however, did indeed single out Moses. I also made no comments as to the character of any Ensworth athletes. I merely wrote what I have read and been told by actual members of the football coaching staff and faculty who are friends and/or aquantances of mine. As for where Ensworth or MBA gets their respective students, certainly, the Franklin Road/Charlotte Pike corridor is by no means where they should get all their students. I'm realistic. I myself drove 30 minutes each way to MBA from Williamson County when I was in school. However, you and I both know what's really going on over there. I know Ricky Bowers...and as much as I love and respect the guy, he wants to go get athletes whever he can. Now, I'm all for MBA or Ensworth taking a chance on some kids here and there (which is what MBA does...rarely). Its important to diversify and reach out to kids who wouldn't normally get the chance. However, the academic requirements at Ensworth are not at the level of MBA. If you believe otherwise, then you are being naive.

Regarding Joe Davis, I'm quite sure that Joe had MBA football in mind when he started Backfield in Motion. I promise you, I know a lot more about that organization than most. Joe thinks a lot of himself. He likes to think he has pull, but he really doesn't, at least when it comes to admissions. MBA (Gioia) would never let him inflouence admissions, as I said before.

Let's not BS everyone on this board about JD. If he want's a kid in MBA the kid will get in even if JD has to pay the tuition. MBA had better play nice with JD or they will spend the next 50 years without the home that JD owns across the street which would mean no facilities progress due to the fact that MBA is land locked. If you guys keep screwing with JD he will take his deeppppppppppppppppppppp pocketsssssssssssssssssssssssssssss and move down the street with his classmates (aka Ricky & The Boyz) and laugh when he sticks to old MBA. Don't think for a minute that a meeting about this very topic has not taken place.

have they found a game in place of the indpendence game on there schedule yet?

The question I have is why? By them pulling out of the game, it left IHS with the possibility of playing only 9 games. At this time IHS has been unable to find someone at this late date. They are even looking outside the state to try to fill the date. Hopefully Coach Eubanks can still locate a game. If someone had done that to them there would be 300 posts in this thread on it.

I don't get here that often either, so I'm slow to respond as well--- Regarding "singling out"--- your question "is that a feeder school for Ensworth" struck me as a snide remark--- maybe an overreaction on my part, and if so, I apologize. I wanted to ask a simialrly snide question about an MBA player and Moses came to mind, probably because he, like Tavarres, has a somewhat unusual name. As I said, when I asked, I didn't have the facts. I know both young men and both are fine kids--- I'd be delighted for my kids to be friends with them, coached by them, whatever-- let's just call that even-- it was probably a dumb topic to bring up. You and I agree on a lot of points. We disagree about comparative academic standards. I'm quite familiar with the programs at MBA, Harpeth Hall, Hume Fogg, McCallie and USN, as well as Ensworth. I'm a past parent at MBA and several other of those schools. My kids have all gone to colleges that any of those schools would be proud to put on those lists that they publish every year about this time. I don't have any high school aged kids now, but if I did, I can say without reservation that I would want him or her to choose Ensworth High School in preference to any of the schools I named, or any other school in Tennessee. That's not to say that the schools I named aren't all fine schools-- but I think the program and the culture that's being put in place at Ensworth is simply extraordinary. That's just my opinion, but I suggest that you would be unwise to write it off as "naive". You are, of course, free to ignore me, but if you do so, don't forget that old saying "pride goeth before a fall". Or as Andy Grove put it somewhat more colorfully, "only the paranoid survive". Cheers.

Not a snide remark. Just mixing it up, as I like to do from time to time. You are certainly entitled to your opinion that Ensworth is an extraordinary place and I certainly don't think it is naive to say so. I was simply playing off your previous comments. We will have to agree to disagree on the MBA vs. EHS issue. In light of your quote, I find it humorous that you and so many EHS supporters seem to allude to some sort of imenent fall by MBA, as if Ensworth will certainly overtake MBA as the preeminent school in Nashville. I sense that Ensworth folks want nothing more than to beat MBA in all arenas. Could it be the Ensworth folks are just as, if not more, prideful? Personally, I have never been more confident that MBA will continue to be the leader in secondary education in Nashville. The presence of EHS has only forced MBA to raise the bar ever further. Pride is not necessarily a bad thing. Oh, and I love your Grove quote. I think he's right. Good luck to the Tigers.

Let's not BS everyone on this board about JD. If he want's a kid in MBA the kid will get in even if JD has to pay the tuition. MBA had better play nice with JD or they will spend the next 50 years without the home that JD owns across the street which would mean no facilities progress due to the fact that MBA is land locked. If you guys keep screwing with JD he will take his deeppppppppppppppppppppp pocketsssssssssssssssssssssssssssss and move down the street with his classmates (aka Ricky & The Boyz) and laugh when he sticks to old MBA. Don't think for a minute that a meeting about this very topic has not taken place.

Get real. I probably know Joe better than anyone on this board. He likes the attention.

So the question that this is supposed to be about, how will Ensworth do this year?

I'm guilty of helping get this thread off topic so I'll try to atone by giving you my prediction for whatever its worth. I've listed the schedule below with my estimate of Ensworth's percentage chance of winning each game. A couple of caveats. First, I know a lot more about some opponents (CPA, MBA, BGA) than I do about others (Knox Webb, St Benedict). Second--- while Ensworth has some talented kids, they will be real thin, so injuries, which can tank anybody's season (see MBA last year, for example), are a big risk. Ensworth will be more vulnerable than most teams if an injury bug hits them. They've alreadygot a couple of good kids very unlikely to play next year because of multiple concussions. So--- assuming there's not some monster lurking on the schedule that I don't know about, and assuming a reasonably injury free year, here's how I see Ensworth's chances in each of their games.

CPA--- 30%

St. Benedict---70%

Stone Memorial---90%

Knoxville Webb---60%

McCallie--- 10%

MBA---30%

JP2--55%

Ryan--55%

Warren County---70%

BGA--- 60%

So my best guess is 7-3. To do better than that would take some real upsets. If Jefferson stays healthy and plays like I think he can, upsets are possible. 5-5 is also certainly possible. I would be disappointed if they went worse than 3-7. If they still had all the kids that will be playing for Hillsboro this year and nobody had bounced his

head off the basketball court, gotten hit by a baseball or otherwise kicked in the head, I might hope for 8-2 or better. If they have a winning season in their first year of real D2 competition, I don't think anybody should be too disappointed.

Who are the guys unlikely to play for EHS this year? Who transfered to Hillsboro (I think they are going to be very strong this year)?

Also, which games are at home and which are away? Did Stone Memorial replace Independence on the schedule? Isn't that the new high school in Crossville? From what I've seen and heard, I think 7-3 is realistic for this team. Ricky will have them ready.

8/31/2007 vs. Christ Presbyterian Academy HOME

9/7/2007 vs. St. Benedict AWAY

9/14/2007 vs. Stone Mountain HOME

9/21/2007 vs. Knoxville Webb School AWAY

9/28/2007 vs. McCallie HOME

10/5/2007 vs. Montgomery Bell Academy AWAY

10/12/2007 vs. Pope John Paul II HS AWAY

10/19/2007 vs. Father Ryan HOME

10/26/2007 vs. Warren County High School AWAY

11/2/2007 vs. Battle Ground Academy HOME