ensworth

Hoosierdad, you asked how a kid could play for Hillsboro when he did not live in that zone. I explained how Mr. Arent could do that thoroughly. Coachjohn's understanding of the open-enrollment policy is not quite accurate, but at least he began his comment with a disclaimer. You merely attacked with no knowledge. You can try to talk a cirlce around that all you want, but the result is still the same. I don't eat cake, but you can eat something else and die for all I care.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoosierdad, you asked how a kid could play for Hillsboro when he did not live in that zone. I explained how Mr. Arent could do that thoroughly. Coachjohn's understanding of the open-enrollment policy is not quite accurate, but at least he began his comment with a disclaimer. You merely attacked with no knowledge. You can try to talk a cirlce around that all you want, but the result is still the same. I don't eat cake, but you can eat something else and die for all I care.

I must have struck a nerve, or, you had a poor childhood. I did not ask about a kid playing for Hillsboro. I asked how a student could attend Hillsboro and not be zoned. Do you know the difference between the two? This was not an attack, it was merely a question. You attacked me. Coachjohn actually answered my question.

As for dying, that is petty on your part and simply childish. Why all of the anger? Never mind, don't answer, you will go off on something else. Bigchief, is the name to compensate for YOUR knowlege or lack of? Never mind again, you have already answered this.

Let me try to clear up this nonsense once and for all. Matt Arent loved Ensworth (still loves Ensworth). His experience at Ensworth was better than could be expected. His parents loved Ensworth. The academics are outstanding. the athletics, especially the coaches, are outstanding. The teachers are great. He had great friends (still has) at Ensworth.

It is no one's business, but it is common knowledge that Matt left Ensworth for financial reasons. His mother worked for Northwest Airlines. Northwest went into bankruptcy and their bankruptcy cut her salary in half. His father sells software to trucking companies and, with record fuel costs among other issues plaguing the industry, business is uncertain. Even after adjusted statements were submitted to the people in Princeton, Matt's family did not feel comfortable committing to the reduced cost. They had paid 100% of his tuition for two years and felt that if they could not continue to pay for Ensworth then MLK was a good (great) alternative. Everyone at Ensworth was very supportive and every effort (within the rules) was made to keep Matt at Ensworth. I truly believe and will forever believe that Ensworh wanted to keep Matt because he is a great kid and an outstanding student. Matt misses the sports at Ensworth much more than Ensworth sports will ever miss Matt.

Thankfully the TSSAA did not choose to punish Matt by making him sit out a year because of things he had no control over. Matt received a hardship ruling from Mr. Carter because he met the specific criteria outlined in the TSSAA rules. His family is grateful that there is a rule allowing exceptions for kids like Matt.

Regarding recruiting, Matt is 6'3" tall and 216 pounds. He plays basketball, football and baseball. He has a 3.8 GPA and has test scores in the top 2%. He is an all state football player and hit .480 and .415 in the last two baseball seasons. MATT ARENT WAS NEVER RECRUITED BY ANY HIGH SCHOOL. He was not recruited to Ensworth. He was not recruited from Ensworth to Hillsboro. He attended football camp at BA every year and Coach Flatt never recruited him. I am convinced that recruiting is a myth!

Kids are attracted to schools by good coaching, good facilities and good academics. There are no "scholarships" for high school football players. The division two schools offer financial aid to every admitted student based on the financial statement provided by the family. I am sure some parents and some students represent this financial aid to people as a "scholarship". If it makes them feel better, great. It is absurd to think that division 2 schools like Ensworth (or MBA or BA) would sacrifice their integrity to attract a high school athlete. You don't have to spend much time at any of these schools to know that they are run by people who are more concerned with academics and integrity than with football. They are right to assume that a great school will attract great athletes. They spend their time and money on building great schools, great kids, including great athletes are attracted to their school because it is great.

Hillsboro is a similar story. I know many of the kids who attend Hillsboro rather than their zoned schools. Most are at Hillsboro because it is a better school. Hillsboro has been lauded by US News and World Report as one of the top 100 public schools in nation. I won't waste anyone's time describing the problems at some of the High Schools these kids are zoned to attend. Many kids who don't play football choose to attend Hillsboro rather than attend the failing school that they are zoned to attend. The kids who do play football are also attracted to the success of the Hillsboro football team. Coach Blade, and Coach Adeylotte before him, should be credited for building and growing a winning tradition at Hillsboro. Until another metro school can provide the same combination of athletic and academic excellence, and as long as open enrollment continues to be the rule in metro schools, Hillsboro will continue to attract top students and top football players.

Families are attracted to excellence. There is no need cross any lines or break any rules if you can present an excellent alternative to the student.

I know I won't stop the whole recruiting discussion but I hope I can stop any further discussion of Matt Arent. His family is grateful to the people at Ensworth for the time he spent there. They are pleased that Matt has the opportunity to attend an excellent school like MLK and play football for an excellent program and Hillsboro. Matt is thankful to Ronnie Carter and the TSSAA for injecting common sense into a difficult transition for him and allowing him to play sports last year. (we should all be happy when the TSSAA puts the interest of the kid before the interest of coaches or schools)

Last, this post is asking if Ensworth is ready for the ???big time???? The answer is yes. Ensworth has big time coaches, big time facilities, and most importantly they have big time kids. Go Tigers!

man u are delusional. Despite your facts, the black community feels there is a double standard. White kid leaves ensworth and he is immediately eligible. black kid leaves ensworth and he has to sit out a yr. Financial Aid offered to students yes thats true. But how is it that, eighth grade metro athletes continue to be diverted to Ensworth. Tavares Jefferson has an older brother, he didn't go to ensworth. Oh yeah he doesn't play sports. Wouldn't he qualify just like Tavares?? Quinn Hamilton just so happened to lead Jere Baxter as a 7th grader and Haynes as an eighth grader to the Metro bball tournament. Wonder if Ensworth knew him as a sixth grader. Oh yeah he was attracted to Ensworth, not ensworth being attracted to him. Your post shows you don't share the views of the inner city.

Hillsboro, it doesn't hurt that they have an MTA stop right in front of the school.

Thanks for dissing all inner city schools with your rhetoric. We will survive without you.

TSSAA should make all public school transfers to private schools after the students 8th grade yr sit out a yr.