Nick Saban in Marshall County

FHSFAN

QUOTE(zonepirate @ May 22 2007 - 08:56 AM) 826464479[/snapback]Well the word is out, Hightower was offered by Coach Saban about 2 weeks ago. He actually beat TN with an offer so we may have more of a shot than I thought.>>>>>>>>>

Lewisburg-Marshall County, Tennessee LB/DE Dont'a Hightower might not end up at Alabama, but head coach Nick Saban has Bama in the hunt.

"Alabama offered me around two weeks ago," says the 6-3, 245-pound Hightower, who also has offers from Ole Miss, MTSU and Tennessee. "Coach [Curt] Cignetti and Coach Saban came by the school and watched us practice. They watched me work out at end and linebacker and they liked what they saw.

"Later that day, I talked with both of them on the phone and Coach Saban told me he was offering me a full ride. He said he liked my size, speed and how I have a nose for the ball. I was excited and speechless, really.

"Knowing what Coach Saban has done in college and him wanting me to be a part of the new era at Alabama made me feel good. He talked to me about either linebacker or defensive end. He said he would like to try me at inside linebacker first and then maybe move me to the outside."

After the Tide offered Hightower, Tennessee jumped in the mix with an offer. "Tennessee offered me this past week," Hightower says. "When I first started getting mail, they didn't seem too interested in me, but that changed and they started writing more and more.

interesting

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(wingman10 @ May 23 2007 - 06:53 AM) 826465078[/snapback]interesting

RB/LB Chris Jordan 6-2, 208 at Brentwood is being heavily recruited by Bama as a RB. Doesn't look like TN is in the running for him

"I'm looking to get out of Tennessee," Jordan says. "I'm looking at all of the schools who are interested, but the ones I'm looking at the hardest are Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Florida,"

• 4 weeks later...

Clausen and Leak are a couple of names that come to mind /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

There is no doubt that TN puts kids in the NFL and has top recruits year in and year out and I don't expect that to change. I'll never argue about the recruiting abilities of the TN staff, they are good. Just give Coach Saban his due....and just be realistic about things at TN, there have been problems there and it's been in the national news in case you missed it. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Enough

I am very realistic about things at Tennessee and Nick Saban doesnt need his due from me he is the man and I was hoping the tide didnt get him.I know what he is capable of doing and the remarks that are negative you here are from people that know it too or there upset because he left there program pro and college.As far as fulmer goes I dont always agree with him but in all defense he has kicked off some real talented players over the years and the list is longer than you think.Several of those players went elsewhere and played at another school some are in the pro's.Most people know all to well the Leak /clausen sagas C.J was agreat kid and tried his hardest to get on the field he just did not have what it takes Fulmer did not lie to him or miss treat him.The clausen family are very close to the fulmer family you cant believe everything you here Rick stayed on and was a very good grad asst. for one year before going into business.Let us also remember Rick left Saban at Lsu to come to Tennessee.

FWIW.

Saban hit the Bama job perfectly from a timing standpoint. There is more high school talent in Alabama this year than there has been in a decade. Auburn has problems. Louisianna high school coaches still love Saban, and I have been told by a # of old/former (old like me) college coaches that Tennessee has become one of the most under-recruited states in the country with South Carolina being the most over-recruited. Missippi is loaded as well, and Sylvester and Ed won't get them all. Bama has the best facilities in the SEC, although soon to be 2nd best behind Florida. Saban has an unbelievable staff, and IMO, will not be welcome back in the NFL, at least not for a long time, and or as a head coach.

Saban will have his pick of the best from AL, MS, LA, and TN. He knows how to not only recruit the best talent, but how to recruit to inflict damage on the competition. There is a reason he is all over the best OLs (Jones, Spurlock, Bailey) in the state for 08, and probably the best for 09 (Tait). TN is potentially hurting up front, and Saban would love to continue to hurt them.

I hate it. I am a TN fan, but history is a pretty good indicator of the future, TN's history w/Saban ain't so good. Tell you you another one to look out for is going to be Butch Davis over @ North Carolina. New facilities, same operational style as Saban, and what may be the best recruiter in the country in Mr. Blake.

ruse?

FWIW.

Saban hit the Bama job perfectly from a timing standpoint. There is more high school talent in Alabama this year than there has been in a decade. Auburn has problems. Louisianna high school coaches still love Saban, and I have been told by a # of old/former (old like me) college coaches that Tennessee has become one of the most under-recruited states in the country with South Carolina being the most over-recruited. Missippi is loaded as well, and Sylvester and Ed won't get them all. Bama has the best facilities in the SEC, although soon to be 2nd best behind Florida. Saban has an unbelievable staff, and IMO, will not be welcome back in the NFL, at least not for a long time, and or as a head coach.

Saban will have his pick of the best from AL, MS, LA, and TN. He knows how to not only recruit the best talent, but how to recruit to inflict damage on the competition. There is a reason he is all over the best OLs (Jones, Spurlock, Bailey) in the state for 08, and probably the best for 09 (Tait). TN is potentially hurting up front, and Saban would love to continue to hurt them.

I hate it. I am a TN fan, but history is a pretty good indicator of the future, TN's history w/Saban ain't so good. Tell you you another one to look out for is going to be Butch Davis over @ North Carolina. New facilities, same operational style as Saban, and what may be the best recruiter in the country in Mr. Blake.

ruse?

Iwould probably agree with most of your post but what do you mean by under-recruited in Tennessee?Because if your saying The SEC coaches whoever are missing out on the talent that may be true on a few here and there but there play speaks for itself after they go to college where ever they end up.THE numbers dont lie on how many div-1 prospects are successful each year out of tennessee compared to GA.,FLA. ALA.LA.ECT,ECT.I think every staff has there share of misses but overall the big time programs are consistent.Also, facility wise there is not much difference at all between a handful in the SEC but UT is close at the top.Lineman wise I think you might be confused upfront on d-line is where we need improvement along with some new receivers.Fulmer might be a little weak every once in a while on o-line but that is where those misses come into play not because he doesnt get some of the top rated offensive lineman which he usually does every year.

Bama has the best facilities in the SEC, although soon to be 2nd best behind Florida.

I was in Tuscaloosa last week during the football camp and really was not that impressed with the facilities at Alabama. I walked through Coleman Colesium and saw both the practice field as well as the playing surface inside Bryant-Denney Stadium. I also got a great look of the inside of the indoor practice facility that sits right by the outdoor practice field. They were all nice no question about it however I would not go on record as saying that the facilities are the best in the SEC.

Iwould probably agree with most of your post but what do you mean by under-recruited in Tennessee?Because if your saying The SEC coaches whoever are missing out on the talent that may be true on a few here and there but there play speaks for itself after they go to college where ever they end up.THE numbers dont lie on how many div-1 prospects are successful each year out of tennessee compared to GA.,FLA. ALA.LA.ECT,ECT.I think every staff has there share of misses but overall the big time programs are consistent.Also, facility wise there is not much difference at all between a handful in the SEC but UT is close at the top.Lineman wise I think you might be confused upfront on d-line is where we need improvement along with some new receivers.Fulmer might be a little weak every once in a while on o-line but that is where those misses come into play not because he doesnt get some of the top rated offensive lineman which he usually does every year.

Farmboy.

No doubt about it. GA, FL, AL, LA, all produce more D1 talent than TN. No argument. What these old guys are telling me though is that TN has a reputation for producing very little D1 talent, and that perception is no longer a reality. In their opinion high school football in TN has improved dramaticaly over the last 10 yrs. According to them, that is why we are seeing kids like Goree @ Colorado, Philips @ Wisconcin, Lanxter @ Kentucky, Tate, and Smith @ ND, and so on. BCS confrence schools outside of the SEC coming in and picking up talent. How many times in the last 10 yrs has ND come in and picked off 2, and tried real hard for a 3rd in Donald? Again, no argument on total #'s, but in their opinion the pool of talent is growing deeper and wider.

Now, facilities. With the exception of the weight room, and Gibbs Hall, UT is right there. New indoor facility, Thornton Student Life Center, etc. Having said that, FL, AL, are nicer. LSU is as well. As much as I hate to admit it, Saban did get a lot of that done before he left for Miami. At the end of the day though, it is all pretty even. All the Big Guys have nice "stuff", and most of the kids are going to look at stability of staff, academic support, NFL production, etc.

IMO, the OL @ TN has a long way to go. OG to OG, they were ineffective last year. I remember some MLB from Kentucky knocking Coker out, and into next week because the LG absolutely whiffed. They had minus 20 yds rushing against FL. Alright, so that was FL, the vaunted defense, etc. UT had 800 yds rushing between Coker, Hardesty, and Foster for all of last yr. Riggs and the other kid had 1000 each just a few yrs. ago. Blame it on the Fullbacks, Freshman Center, whatever, that is awfull. They run out of the Power I. Where is the "Power" this yr. Sears is gone, and Scott, Young, Foster, and McClendon have yet to establish themselves as SEC capable week in and week out. In fact the most expeienced OL might be a Redshirt Soph @ Center. Yes they have Ainge, along with an unproven OL, and WRs.

Having said that, the DL better come on too. Bolden has yet to deliver consistently, and niether has Xavier Mitchell, or Antonio Reynolds. Mapu has, and I think he will show out in a big way this yr. Fifth man in the rotation up front is Dan Williams, and then Walter Fisher @ DT. Ayers and Brown at the DEs. That is not a lot of exp. In fact I liked the Langley kid, who could have been at the prom if he wanted to be, better than some of those guys in the Orange & White game.

I hope I am wrong, I really do, but good or bad, I know Lineman. I hope they are having great summer work outs, get out of the gate fast, stomp a hole in Cal, FL, etc. I don't mind eating crow. In fact I hope I do on this one.

Farmboy.

No doubt about it. GA, FL, AL, LA, all produce more D1 talent than TN. No argument. What these old guys are telling me though is that TN has a reputation for producing very little D1 talent, and that perception is no longer a reality. In their opinion high school football in TN has improved dramaticaly over the last 10 yrs. According to them, that is why we are seeing kids like Goree @ Colorado, Philips @ Wisconcin, Lanxter @ Kentucky, Tate, and Smith @ ND, and so on. BCS confrence schools outside of the SEC coming in and picking up talent. How many times in the last 10 yrs has ND come in and picked off 2, and tried real hard for a 3rd in Donald? Again, no argument on total #'s, but in their opinion the pool of talent is growing deeper and wider.

Now, facilities. With the exception of the weight room, and Gibbs Hall, UT is right there. New indoor facility, Thornton Student Life Center, etc. Having said that, FL, AL, are nicer. LSU is as well. As much as I hate to admit it, Saban did get a lot of that done before he left for Miami. At the end of the day though, it is all pretty even. All the Big Guys have nice "stuff", and most of the kids are going to look at stability of staff, academic support, NFL production, etc.

IMO, the OL @ TN has a long way to go. OG to OG, they were ineffective last year. I remember some MLB from Kentucky knocking Coker out, and into next week because the LG absolutely whiffed. They had minus 20 yds rushing against FL. Alright, so that was FL, the vaunted defense, etc. UT had 800 yds rushing between Coker, Hardesty, and Foster for all of last yr. Riggs and the other kid had 1000 each just a few yrs. ago. Blame it on the Fullbacks, Freshman Center, whatever, that is awfull. They run out of the Power I. Where is the "Power" this yr. Sears is gone, and Scott, Young, Foster, and McClendon have yet to establish themselves as SEC capable week in and week out. In fact the most expeienced OL might be a Redshirt Soph @ Center. Yes they have Ainge, along with an unproven OL, and WRs.

Having said that, the DL better come on too. Bolden has yet to deliver consistently, and niether has Xavier Mitchell, or Antonio Reynolds. Mapu has, and I think he will show out in a big way this yr. Fifth man in the rotation up front is Dan Williams, and then Walter Fisher @ DT. Ayers and Brown at the DEs. That is not a lot of exp. In fact I liked the Langley kid, who could have been at the prom if he wanted to be, better than some of those guys in the Orange & White game.

I hope I am wrong, I really do, but good or bad, I know Lineman. I hope they are having great summer work outs, get out of the gate fast, stomp a hole in Cal, FL, etc. I don't mind eating crow. In fact I hope I do on this one.

Once again I would agree with you on a great deal of what your post said.As far as rushing I think it will get better and those guys up front that are coming back are young and I hope will get better.You were a little off on your rushing totals of 800yds.Coker 696yds- Hardesty 384yds- Foster 322yds for a total of 1402yds yes that needs to improve but Hardesty and Foster were coming off injuries and Coker missed I think 3 or 4 games last year.We as fans know things were real bad year before last I really think things are heading in the right direction.Get back with me on this one but I think the big keys are on the D-line and at wide receivers if we are better than average at these spots we could be pretty good. I think the secondary will be a surprising plus but you have R.Fellows and J.Parish coming back from injuries healthy ,Hefney speaks for itself and several players with game experience under there belt with some dynamic players coming in. Linebackers are looking good and I do think the D-line will get better.If we dont get out of the gate fast against Cal,FL,Ect forget everything I said in this post.

I am married actually. And I'm definately not a Bama fan.

No, what I really mean is that this is a great opportunity for this player to be able to go to the next level and play college football at one of the most historical and traditional schools in the country. But, I'd never sign with Nick Saban (as if I were ever good enough lol) just because of his track record. I think history repeats itself, and I'd worry about a change of command before I ever graduated. I mean, look at what he did to LSU, and then at the highest level, Miami.

Alabama's wonderful tradition that you talk about is based on lies, deception, and just down right cheating. Alabama won most of their titles with purchased human beings. Would you want your child playing in the culture of crime that continues to exist wtih the fans, coaches, and administration? If I gave a rats butt about my child I could never send him or her to that cesspool.

Alabama's wonderful tradition that you talk about is based on lies, deception, and just down right cheating. Alabama won most of their titles with purchased human beings. Would you want your child playing in the culture of crime that continues to exist wtih the fans, coaches, and administration? If I gave a rats butt about my child I could never send him or her to that cesspool.

You obviously don't know much about your own school /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />