Innings pitched rule?

pianomaster3

There is alot of controversy in the rule that we have now. But What abuot this? A kid pitches a complete game on monday throws 110 pitches. Takes the next day, off and his team loses. Now they have to win and the coach throws the same kid and the kid throws 110. Kid ends up throwin 220 pitches in three days. This is bad for the kid's arm. Shuold the rule be changed? and if so how?

the rule is 10 innings in 2 days or pitching on consecutive days he must rest 1 day..for example in your case the pitcher was legal because he had the day off in between appearnaces if you pitch in consecutive days rather it be 1 inning in each game or 2 innings in each game it doesnt matter you must rest on the next day

QUOTE(bhslefty07 @ May 12 2007 - 09:20 PM) 826458210[/snapback]WOW....thats about all i can say. the coach should not even asked his pitcher to do that in the first place...and the pitcher on the other hand has to be smart enough to say no. but yes there does need to be a rule

The coach should be fired...bottom line. If he did this then he does not have his players' best interest in mind. No excuse for a high school coach to do this...he should be coaching in a different state next year.

Under our current playoff system, here is what a team's #1 faces AFTER pitching in the district tournament:

Monday

Friday

Tuesday

Friday

Lets look at last year's state tournament:

Class A: http://www.tssaa.org/2005Champions/StateBa...lassA/State.htm

Drew Hayes of McKenzie on Tuesday:

.................................. IP H R ER BB SO WP BK HP IBB AB BF FO GO

HAYES W,1-0............... 6.0 2 1 1 4 7 0 0 0 0 20 25 5 5

On Wednesday:

HAYES S,1................. 0.2 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 2 2 1 0

On Friday in Championship Game:

..................................... IP H R ER BB SO WP BK HP IBB AB BF FO GO

Hayes, Drew W............. 7.0 3 0 0 2 12 0 0 1 0 22 26 3 5

His opposing pitcher that day? Now-Vandy #2 Mikie Minor:

On Tuesday:

.......................... IP H R ER BB SO WP BK HP IBB AB BF FO GO

Minor, Mikie........ 6.0 1 0 0 1 10 19 21

On Friday:

Minor, Mikie L............ 6.0 3 2 0 0 8 0 1 1 0 21 22 2 6

In AA

http://www.tssaa.org/2005Champions/StateBa...assAA/State.htm

Gant of USJ didn't bounce back on two-days rest as well:

Tuesday:

.................. IP BF R ER H 2B 3B HR SO BB

Clayton Grant 7 30 1 0 6 0 0 0 9 3

Friday:

................................... IP H R ER BB SO WP BK HP IBB AB BF FO GO

Gant, Clayton L........... 2.0 4 6 4 1 0 0 0 2 0 10 13 2 4

In AAA,

http://www.tssaa.org/2005Champions/StateBa...ssAAA/State.htm

Rob Catapano of Farraugut was as amazing as Hayes and Minor:

On Tuesday:

................................... IP H R ER BB SO AB BF

Rob Catapano.............. 7.0 3 0 0 0 9 21 24

On Friday, again on 2 days rest, against a pretty potent lineup:

........................................ IP H R ER BB SO WP BK HP IBB AB BF FO GO

Catapano, Rob W,11-2...... 7.0 2 0 0 0 11 0 0 0 0 22 22 1 8

14 innings of shutout, 5 hit baseball in 4 days. Pretty amazing.

The really amazing part? Check out the play-by-play of the game - a fun one to watch:

http://www.tssaa.org/2005Champions/StateBa...sAAA/Game15.htm

QUOTE(pianomaster3 @ May 12 2007 - 07:43 PM) 826458192[/snapback]There is alot of controversy in the rule that we have now. But What abuot this? A kid pitches a complete game on monday throws 110 pitches. Takes the next day, off and his team loses. Now they have to win and the coach throws the same kid and the kid throws 110. Kid ends up throwin 220 pitches in three days. This is bad for the kid's arm. Shuold the rule be changed? and if so how?

The big Daugherty kid for Wartburg is probably picthed to death.

If the kid is willing to pitch and he shows no signs of letting up then why not pitch him? I mean yeah it could be bad for his arm, but any pitch could end someone's career. I do not think the coach should be fired. I thought the point of being on a team was to do what you have to do to win. If that means 1 kid throws 220 pitches in 3 days and his team wins both games then I say congrats to the kid for being one heck of a pitcher.

No way guys. I'm fine. Coach asked me if I thought I could pitch. I told him i'd have to warm up and id let him know. I warmed up felt fine and pitched. I took myself out when pain started setting in. Don't bash the coach Bash me if anyone because I was the one that told him I wanted to pitch. It was the last game of the year, and I dont play summer ball, so my mindset was I know I can pitch and i'll have 8 monthes rest when all of this is over. It didnt work out how i wanted, but it was my desicion not the coach's.

QUOTE(philip2003 @ May 14 2007 - 10:26 AM) 826458849[/snapback]No way guys. I'm fine. Coach asked me if I thought I could pitch. I told him i'd have to warm up and id let him know. I warmed up felt fine and pitched. I took myself out when pain started setting in. Don't bash the coach Bash me if anyone because I was the one that told him I wanted to pitch. It was the last game of the year, and I dont play summer ball, so my mindset was I know I can pitch and i'll have 8 monthes rest when all of this is over. It didnt work out how i wanted, but it was my desicion not the coach's.

Good for you! I applaud you for being a man and telling it like it was! That shows great maturity. Only you know how you feel and I do believe after your post that if you did not think you were capable of throwing that day ---you would have stood up for your self and said NO! I am proud of you!!!!

/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> What competitor wouldn't want to stay in the game? The competitors don't need to make the decisions and evidently a lot of the coaches don't either. An inning rule means nothing. A pitch count with prescribed days rest for number of pitches thrown is the way to go along with a regimen of icing and conditioning under a trainer's care.

QUOTE(ihavenofriendzz @ May 13 2007 - 11:34 PM) 826458737[/snapback]If the kid is willing to pitch and he shows no signs of letting up then why not pitch him? I mean yeah it could be bad for his arm, but any pitch could end someone's career. I do not think the coach should be fired. I thought the point of being on a team was to do what you have to do to win. If that means 1 kid throws 220 pitches in 3 days and his team wins both games then I say congrats to the kid for being one heck of a pitcher.

yes, any pitch could end your career, butyou are WAY more likely to hurt your arm when you have pitched alot of pitches a day or two before. No game is worth risking hurting your arm, and possibly ending a good career.