I'll start with

C Michael McKenrey

1B Kyle Waldrop

SS Tony Delmonico

3B Cody Brown

P Craig Cobb

P Rob Catapano

P Jimmy Kelly

Sorry, I took the easy ones! A great kid (and parents) was mentioned earlier but I wanted to leave some for everyone else

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(braves4life @ May 29 2007 - 12:30 AM) 826468633[/snapback]you can't forget all the other players that are not in d-1

here are a few..

lawson cheek (colorado christian)

ty nelson (cleveland state)

clay ivy (vol state)

from this year's squad you have

barton ivy (vol state)

jordan pleasant (vol state)

I was going to mention them.

QUOTE(DaCoach @ Jun 2 2007 - 04:49 AM) 826470384[/snapback]Sir, I don't know what your problem is but I'm sorry if I struck a nerve with you. I live in middle Tennessee, a mere 75 miles from Nashville, and with the success of Murfreesboro Oakland ranked by many as a top 5 team in the country, and Vanderbilt which is the number 1 ranked team in the country at the college level, we just don't get a lot of news about how east Tennessee teams are doing. I was just curious about Tommy's team, if they were young, loaded as they usually are, or what. I guess I could call Tommy but I know how busy the man is during the season. I coached 23 years myself. I hated it that they didn't make it out of their district this year but I know what a great coach Tommy is and I'm sure he will have them back in the hunt come next May! Please try and not take so much pleasure out of another teams miss fortunes for as we all know if you stay in this coaching business long enough and what goes around comes around and watch out you just may get a great big dose of it yourself! Remember they are young kids, representing their school with pride and spirit playing a kids game. And on top of doing that they also have homework and some have jobs to do. So ease up a little!

thanks coach....good post

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(mcfan10 @ Jun 10 2007 - 03:08 PM) 826473557[/snapback]I thought Delmonico's son was the coach at Farragut.

Rod Delcomonica's son Tony was a sophomore this year at UT. He was listed as the starting SS this season but he was mostly used as the Designated hitterafter getting off to a rocky start with a .175 BA through the first 8 games. He pulled out of the season with astounding numbers however. Rod's younger son Joey was a Junior this year at Farragut. Like his older brother he too hit out of the DH spot for Farragut most of the year. There is a third son to watch for as well in the upcoming years. It looks like Delmonico knows a thing or 2 about hitting!

Tommy Pharr has been the head coach at Farragut for a few years now.

I do understand why everyone was screaming that UT does not select local players. Of the 45 boys on the roster 4 were Farragut boys and 5 were from Miami. A total of 18 of the 45 boys were from Tennessee. Perhaps this was one of the reasons Delmonico was relieved of his duties. There may have actually been 2 roads into the UT Baseball program, Miami and Farragut seem to have been the ticket to land on the UT team.

QUOTE(1moreDBmom @ Jun 11 2007 - 09:44 AM) 826473775[/snapback]Rod Delcomonica's son Tony was a sophomore this year at UT. He was listed as the starting SS this season but he was mostly used as the Designated hitterafter getting off to a rocky start with a .175 BA through the first 8 games. He pulled out of the season with astounding numbers however. Rod's younger son Joey was a Junior this year at Farragut. Like his older brother he too hit out of the DH spot for Farragut most of the year. There is a third son to watch for as well in the upcoming years. It looks like Delmonico knows a thing or 2 about hitting!

I do understand why everyone was screaming that UT does not select local players. Of the 45 boys on the roster 4 were Farragut boys and 5 were from Miami. A total of 18 of the 45 boys were from Tennessee. Perhaps this was one of the reasons Delmonico was relieved of his duties. There may have actually been 2 roads into the UT Baseball program, Miami and Farragut seem to have been the ticket to land on the UT team.

Look at the local players Delmonico missed out on in just the past several years

- Rob Catapano- North Carolina- Farragut

- Tyler Cannon- Virginia- Pigeon Forge

- Harrison Eldridge- East Carolina- Farragut

- Chad Bell- Memphis- South Doyle

- Chris Kirkland- now with Memphis- South Doyle

- Ryan Holland- Memphis- South Doyle

- Cody Hawn- Arkansas- South Doyle

- Matt Spencer- Arizona State- Morristown East

- Brett Basham- Ole Miss- Bearden

- Michael McKenry- MTSU- Farragut

- Cale Iorg- Alabama- Karns

QUOTE(Hammer Head @ Jun 11 2007 - 01:13 PM) 826473823[/snapback]Look at the local players Delmonico missed out on in just the past several years

- Rob Catapano- North Carolina- Farragut

- Tyler Cannon- Virginia- Pigeon Forge

- Harrison Eldridge- East Carolina- Farragut

- Chad Bell- Memphis- South Doyle

- Chris Kirkland- now with Memphis- South Doyle

- Ryan Holland- Memphis- South Doyle

- Cody Hawn- Arkansas- South Doyle

- Matt Spencer- Arizona State- Morristown East

- Brett Basham- Ole Miss- Bearden

- Michael McKenry- MTSU- Farragut

- Cale Iorg- Alabama- Karns

I don't intend to defend or attack anyone here, but I get frustrated when people post on topics about which they don't really have direct knowledge. The names on the above list did not attend UT. The comment implies that UT showed no interest or they weren't able to get these players. A player and his family may choose (or rule out) a school for a variety of reasons. The first name here, Catapano, has family ties in NC. He was given a chance to play for a program that had finished 2nd in last year's CWS and attend an excellent university. Why he didn't choose UT, I can't say, but he had plenty of reason to go to UNC. Brett Basham wanted to play right away and UT had an All-American/Team USA catcher ahead of him for 2 yrs. So Brett elected to go to a school where he had a better chance of playing right away. Throw in the limited number of scholarships for baseball, and it makes a more interesting puzzle for who goes where and why.

I'm not saying that UT/Delmonico does things in a perfect way, but to imply that they "lost" or "didn't want" these players is certainly not fair as a blanket statement.

As for DBMOM's comment...Tony started the year as SS and switched to 2B. At no time this year did he act as DH. His hitting did improve as the year went on. As for the roster, UT historically carries a small roster. There are 27 names on this year's roster (one of the 27 was red-shirted for surgery purposes). Of the 27 names 17 are actually from Tennessee. That's probably a pretty high percentage compared to other SEC schools. (By comparison, Vandy has 37 players on their roster with only 11 coming from Tennessee.)

Ultimately, Coach Delmonico is gone, so it doesn't matter, but it would be nice if we try to keep things factual rather than speculate about issues from a distance.

QUOTE(1moreDBmom @ Jun 11 2007 - 11:44 AM) 826473775[/snapback]Rod Delcomonica's son Tony was a sophomore this year at UT. He was listed as the starting SS this season but he was mostly used as the Designated hitterafter getting off to a rocky start with a .175 BA through the first 8 games. He pulled out of the season with astounding numbers however. Rod's younger son Joey was a Junior this year at Farragut. Like his older brother he too hit out of the DH spot for Farragut most of the year. There is a third son to watch for as well in the upcoming years. It looks like Delmonico knows a thing or 2 about hitting!

Tony played SS and then moved to 2nd about midway... he also gave up switch hitting, which he had been doing for years, and is now only batting right handed

I'm actually replying to Hozr's post.... That post was very well put. There have been several local HS baseball graduates that "elected" to go elsewhere than UT to continue their baseball career. All had their individual reasons. I think it's grossly unfair to criticize the UT baseball program on a wholesale level on that point.

QUOTE(DugoutDad @ Jun 14 2007 - 01:30 PM) 826475049[/snapback]I'm actually replying to Hozr's post.... That post was very well put. There have been several local HS baseball graduates that "elected" to go elsewhere than UT to continue their baseball career. All had their individual reasons. I think it's grossly unfair to criticize the UT baseball program on a wholesale level on that point.

The end result is they didn't attend TN for various reasons. His job as a coach and recruiter is to get them to come there to further their education and play baseball. I do not know every reason, but I am very aware of a few of them. I believe each Division I school is alloted the same number of scholarships, so everyone has that to work from. This is not meant to criticize, just posting some facts on a message board.