D1 State Results

QUOTE(sportsfreak2307 @ May 21 2007 - 03:05 PM) 826464103[/snapback]I think if you take out both girls KGC wins and if you take out Lauren KGC wins. KGC is a better team then the Flight and I think they will go farther in Nationals than them. Lauren like I said had 30 of the points and 10+ assists because she can penetrate the zone that was given to her. I have never seen another 14 year old be able to do that so you take her out then I say KGC by double digits. Also, KGC does not recruit like these other teams. Some of these girls have been together since they were 7 years old in Jr. Pro. Almost every other AAU team in Tn has put 2 or 3 good players from 2 or 3 teams and made a single team. So this makes the job that KGC has done even more respectable.

Against the Wings on Friday the Wings shot 31 free throws to KGC's 6. The Pride is too good of a team to foul that much because of their great discipline. So I would have to say that the refs definately changed that game. The Wings should have won by 20 but instead they won by 3 this shows that KGC can beat them any day under fair circumstances.

It doesn't matter due to Lauren will continue to be with them so you argument is nothing. You can continue to make excuse after excuse but I heard parents speak after the Flight game saying they played the best they played all year againist Flight and still lost by double digits and trust me Flight didn't play well at all. Again KGC was a great team when they were 10 - 13 / one of the best to come through the state at those ages but at the 14 under age they were the 3rd best team and it was very obvious that the 1st and 2nd place teams players were bigger and stronger and anyone who knows anything about basketball and is not a parent trying to come up with some kind of excuse for there kids could tell this. Stop making excuses for you team and take your loss and congratulate Memphis Flight and Team Pride one being 1st and 2nd in the state.

If I am not mistaken KGC has not won any tournament they have played in this year besides Substate?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to all the teams that competed in the finals of their respective age groups.

9u-Team Pride - Champions

9u-Team Memphis Elite - Runner-up

13U-Trotters - Champions

13U-Team Memphis Elite-Daniels - Runner-up

14U- Team Memphis Flight - Champions

14U- Team Pride - Runner-up

15U-Team Memphis Flight-Miles - Champions

15U-Team Memphis Flight-James - Runner-up

A special congratulations goes out to Team Memphis Elite-Daniels and Memphis Flight-James for their very good performances this weekend. These 2 teams practice together daily and have developed a little sister/big sister relationship that will last forever. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Now, I have tried to keep from boasting, but I can't help myself. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> For all of those critics out there who in the past made remarks that Memphis does not produce great players/teams, you were wrong. That was proven this past weekend with the results from the various age groups. The Team MEMPHIS Elite organization had teams participating in the finals of each age group and 2 competing in the very tough 15U division. The coaches of these teams put in very long hours working with these young ladies to help them become better players and respectable young ladies. They are not nor do they expect monetary compensation for doing so. The only compensation they receive is when they see these young ladies shine both on and off the court. Keep up the good work coaches. You are appreciated and loved more than you know. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Good luck to all of the teams as they prepare to participate at nationals and bring the hardware back to Tennessee. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(sportsfreak2307 @ May 21 2007 - 03:05 PM) 826464103[/snapback]I think if you take out both girls KGC wins and if you take out Lauren KGC wins. KGC is a better team then the Flight and I think they will go farther in Nationals than them. Lauren like I said had 30 of the points and 10+ assists because she can penetrate the zone that was given to her. I have never seen another 14 year old be able to do that so you take her out then I say KGC by double digits. Also, KGC does not recruit like these other teams. Some of these girls have been together since they were 7 years old in Jr. Pro. Almost every other AAU team in Tn has put 2 or 3 good players from 2 or 3 teams and made a single team. So this makes the job that KGC has done even more respectable.

Against the Wings on Friday the Wings shot 31 free throws to KGC's 6. The Pride is too good of a team to foul that much because of their great discipline. So I would have to say that the refs definately changed that game. The Wings should have won by 20 but instead they won by 3 this shows that KGC can beat them any day under fair circumstances.

I'm not affiliated with KGC or the Flight team. KGC has a very good team, but I don't see how anyone in the right mind can say that KGC is better than the Flight team. That's crazy. Furthermore, how can you focus on one player on the Flight's roster?? Have you seen the other players??? entire team is good. Take the lost and move on, I'm sure that KGC will do well in the nationals.

QUOTE(robpride @ May 21 2007 - 03:44 PM) 826464123[/snapback]sporsfreak i would appreciate it if you would drop this.! our girls played hard ,acted with class! and have represented themselves well.

the girls have won with class and they held there heads high after giving great effort!

lauren avant is an incredible player and has a great attitude.......a very classy young lady

congrats to the memphis elite on the state title!

also the tn wings are a great bunch! lets let the rest of this go!

Well said. Let's move on and wish all of these great kids and coaches good luck at nationals

I try not to post on here lately because if you disagree with someone you tend to get shouted down like you are stupid, but now that I think about it.... I could really care less. Our team has played both teams this year, the KGC 3 times (twice without Buda and once with the shooter from Central) and Memphis once (without Lauren). After we played both I felt that Memphis had a chance to beat KGC because in my opinion they had more team speed (of course noone is quicker than Buda and Mills). But to say that they are clearly bigger and stronger is pretty laughable. I'd say that if the tournament was played this coming weekend KGC could easily beat Memphis, but you never know. Memphis beat us by a larger margin than anyone else has this year, but we were also playing our 6th game of the weekend with only 6 players (due to 8th grade trip as 7 of our 9 players are 8th graders). They are both really fun to play- our girls always enjoy competing against KGC and after the Memphis loss several of them said that they wish they could be mad at Memphis but couldn't because they played hard and clean.

The fouls issue is kind of funny because I used to complain about the fouls when we played KGC because we always ended up with more fouls than them. This year, our team has improved to the point (have only lost to 5 nationally qualified 14u teams and a 16 year old team- playing with 7 8th graders on a 9 player roster with 3 of the 9 being 13u players) that I am hearing the same complaints from the other bench even though we play a non-stop trapping style. Who knows about the referees at state- I do know we shot a lot against Memphis when we played them. I don't know anything about the Wings but would like to play them and didn't get to play the TN Pride yet this year either. However, I doubt there is much difference from 1-4 in the state.

Everyone else may know who Showtime 7 is but I don't- don't really care either. But to correct you, I know KGC won the the Blitz in Cleveland. And even though you came back later and gave them a little more respect in a later post everyone can see that by saying "KGC was a nice team from 10-13 but...", you were jabbing them. I'd say 4 time state champ, once top 10 nationally and 3 time top 4 nationally (more than once without one of their star players out with injury) is a little more than a "nice" team. It sounds like maybe a team you are associated with finally beat them so you beating your chest. Does it have anything to do with WV Thunder?

QUOTE(janinelpn2 @ May 21 2007 - 03:53 PM) 826464130[/snapback]Congratulations to all the teams that competed in the finals of their respective age groups.

9u-Team Pride - Champions

9u-Team Memphis Elite - Runner-up

13U-Trotters - Champions

13U-Team Memphis Elite-Daniels - Runner-up

14U- Team Memphis Flight - Champions

14U- Team Pride - Runner-up

15U-Team Memphis Flight-Miles - Champions

15U-Team Memphis Flight-James - Runner-up

A special congratulations goes out to Team Memphis Elite-Daniels and Memphis Flight-James for their very good performances this weekend. These 2 teams practice together daily and have developed a little sister/big sister relationship that will last forever. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Now, I have tried to keep from boasting, but I can't help myself. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> For all of those critics out there who in the past made remarks that Memphis does not produce great players/teams, you were wrong. That was proven this past weekend with the results from the various age groups. The Team MEMPHIS Elite organization had teams participating in the finals of each age group and 2 competing in the very tough 15U division. The coaches of these teams put in very long hours working with these young ladies to help them become better players and respectable young ladies. They are not nor do they expect monetary compensation for doing so. The only compensation they receive is when they see these young ladies shine both on and off the court. Keep up the good work coaches. You are appreciated and loved more than you know. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Good luck to all of the teams as they prepare to participate at nationals and bring the hardware back to Tennessee. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Congrats to all.... Way to go Memphis.... All I can say about both of the Memphis 15U is WOW! Those two teams have major talent. The James girl is the real deal!

I've read the following posts & I can see where some of the posters are coming from with their complaints concerning the refereeing but at this time I don't think it will change anything. I know our team went into this tournament expecting for some "home cooking" to go on, but I give our girls credit for playing thru it and making it to the championship game. I applaud all teams for their efforts, with Team Memphis Elite coming out victorious.

I think it's every team's goal to in & win the state championship in order to get the higher seed at the nationals. For us, we didn't win, but we did finish better than we did last year and we're proud of our accomplishment. So we will most definately be shooting for that championship trophy from Team Memphis Elite next year, so be ready. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I'm going to take this time to encourage all teams to keep their heads up & focus on the big picture, which is the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. I know during this time between now & the nationals, our coach will continue working on our team's strengths & their weaknesses to be better prepared for the nationals. I think this tournament as well as others we have participated in have given us a glimpse of how good we can be. So our goal now is to win the National Championship & we have an excellent chance with our talent.

I know losing is tough & nobody likes it, but sometimes losing let's you know you are not invincible & allows you to go back & work that much harder to achieve your goals. So even though your team might not have won the State championship, you still have another chance to win everything in the Nationals, so don't cry over spilled milk, go forward knowing tomorrow is a new day. Tennessee Team Pride has & our goal is much bigger now!!

I would just caution everyone to remember that the girls read & post on this site. So all of us ADULTS need to act like it. We don't need to bash any player or team. This state has alot of talent lets get ready to take the nation by storm during nationals.

I had a feeling after the 14U State Tournament this weekend that alot would be brought up and said on this message board. There is alot on here that has been said that is not true, alot that has been said that is true, and alot of people who are lying straight through their teeth (or fingers in this case).

Someone made a statement that this is the most "political" age group in the state. Well, every age group becomes "political," in some way or shape, especially once the girls hit about twelve or so. It was at the 12U State Tournament two years ago that anyone with eyes could see just how bad this age group was going to get and that the girls were going to be the ones caught in the middle. It will get more and more political even at younger age groups (it has already started) as we move on through the years. One poster who has posted on this thread is one who is directly responsible for the "politicalness" of Tennessee Girls AAU and contributes greatly to the negative side of AAU Girls Basketball within our great state.

As for the tournament itself, let me first start by saying congratulations to the Memphis Flight. They are a very talented team with, or without, Lauren Avant, as I have seen them play both with her (this weekend) and without her (at the Tennessee Miracle Classic). As for her playing in the 14U age group, well one should have seen that coming the day the Memphis Elite announced their association with the Tennessee Flight. However, she is fourteen years old, and I, myself, have always wanted to see if she could lead a team to a National Championship in her own age group and it looks as though I will get that chance. Good luck to her and the Flight.

In the Flight and KGC game, the Lady Pride just got outplayed on this particular day. If there was to be a rematch sometime down the road (which is very possible), the outcome could be different as either team is capable of beating the other. Both teams are full of talent and both teams have superb coaching. Both teams will do exceptionally well at Nationals.

I do not know that it can be said that KGC was the third best team at the State Tournament. They did not play Team Pride and one cannot state if one is any better then the other until the two play each other. This particular Team Pride team has yet to prove themselves at a National level, which KGC has done numerous times. Yes, this is a new year and these teams are a little different (a few different players here and there), but until they face each other, I do not think one can honestly sit here and state that one is better then the other. The only thing that can be concluded is that the Flight was the best team overall on this weekend. Nationals will be a better indicator of how strong each individual team from Tennessee is as they battle through pool play and then try to advance through the single-elimination bracket. Hopefully, the Tennessee teams will not be knocking each other out, unless it is in the Elite Eight, Final Four, and, possibly, the Championship Game.

Lastly, good luck to all the girls on their quest to better themselves on and off the basketball court. And folks, that is what this is suppose to be about, the athletes---it is not about beating a certain team, or trying to steal players from other teams, or merging teams just so an organization can have another National Championship, or coaches trying to boost their own egos, or all the other negative stuff that continues to spread all over this sport. It is simply suppose to be about girls playing, learning, and enjoying the game of basketball.

QUOTE(ptguard12 @ May 22 2007 - 02:15 AM) 826464415[/snapback]I had a feeling after the 14U State Tournament this weekend that alot would be brought up and said on this message board. There is alot on here that has been said that is not true, alot that has been said that is true, and alot of people who are lying straight through their teeth (or fingers in this case).

Someone made a statement that this is the most "political" age group in the state. Well, every age group becomes "political," in some way or shape, especially once the girls hit about twelve or so. It was at the 12U State Tournament two years ago that anyone with eyes could see just how bad this age group was going to get and that the girls were going to be the ones caught in the middle. It will get more and more political even at younger age groups (it has already started) as we move on through the years. One poster who has posted on this thread is one who is directly responsible for the "politicalness" of Tennessee Girls AAU and contributes greatly to the negative side of AAU Girls Basketball within our great state.

As for the tournament itself, let me first start by saying congratulations to the Memphis Flight. They are a very talented team with, or without, Lauren Avant, as I have seen them play both with her (this weekend) and without her (at the Tennessee Miracle Classic). As for her playing in the 14U age group, well one should have seen that coming the day the Memphis Elite announced their association with the Tennessee Flight. However, she is fourteen years old, and I, myself, have always wanted to see if she could lead a team to a National Championship in her own age group and it looks as though I will get that chance. Good luck to her and the Flight.

In the Flight and KGC game, the Lady Pride just got outplayed on this particular day. If there was to be a rematch sometime down the road (which is very possible), the outcome could be different as either team is capable of beating the other. Both teams are full of talent and both teams have superb coaching. Both teams will do exceptionally well at Nationals.

I do not know that it can be said that KGC was the third best team at the State Tournament. They did not play Team Pride and one cannot state if one is any better then the other until the two play each other. This particular Team Pride team has yet to prove themselves at a National level, which KGC has done numerous times. Yes, this is a new year and these teams are a little different (a few different players here and there), but until they face each other, I do not think one can honestly sit here and state that one is better then the other. The only thing that can be concluded is that the Flight was the best team overall on this weekend. Nationals will be a better indicator of how strong each individual team from Tennessee is as they battle through pool play and then try to advance through the single-elimination bracket. Hopefully, the Tennessee teams will not be knocking each other out, unless it is in the Elite Eight, Final Four, and, possibly, the Championship Game.

Lastly, good luck to all the girls on their quest to better themselves on and off the basketball court. And folks, that is what this is suppose to be about, the athletes---it is not about beating a certain team, or trying to steal players from other teams, or merging teams just so an organization can have another National Championship, or coaches trying to boost their own egos, or all the other negative stuff that continues to spread all over this sport. It is simply suppose to be about girls playing, learning, and enjoying the game of basketball.

Amen to that.