South Doyle Fans?

Mi Kees

QUOTE(R.U.R. @ May 23 2007 - 09:24 PM) 826465632[/snapback]offers from UT initially, auburn, then memphis. i own chad bell in anything besides baseball/golf though...especially ping pong

UT and Auburn both lost a great a pitcher in Bell good luck to Bell in college and the rest of the SD team

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Solomon @ May 22 2007 - 04:58 PM) 826464678[/snapback]cqg - Many are, trust me. Barring a miracle in the next month, I don't think he's back.

As for the other..........

Actually, most of them probably weren't. Baseball teams are alotted 12.7 scholarships per NCAA rules. I don't know why, but they are. DelMonico has made common practice of using the scholarships on his Florida pipeline and other players out of state and asking many of the good local players to in essence be a walk-on. Now, to be fair, I do not know who is and who is not on scholarship at UT right now on the baseball team. Some local guys very well may be scholarship, I am just using what he has commonly done. That (plus other reasons I have heard through the grapevine not pertinent here) is why many in-state players, including local guys are not going to UT.

You are so right. The scholarships normally go to pitchers and catchers and walk ons, if they are good enough can earn one the next season. Andy Siminek is the perfect example. I read in the paper that he was a walk on at UT and earned a starting position in left then took 3rd's starting position and is now in the lead off position batting, and leading the team BA. He's got a chance to be drafted too. He leads the nation in stolen bases with 54. He came out of Chatt State and lead the nation there too in SB. Crazy. He is not a big guy or anything, not like some of the South Doyle guys are. What are you guys feeding them in South Knox? I am glad they are doing so well. We wish them the best the rest of the way. They had WB's # in the reg season and tourn that's for sure. Hey i also read in the paper that Charlie Puleo is stepping down as the Baseball Coach at WB. Wonder if they will get a good one for the upcoming classes. They have a good program. Just needs some direction and some fire under those boys.

Good Luck to the S.D. baseballers. They haven't had a lot of success in their baseball program and the Baseball program has been a bright spot for years. Robbie is a class act and has shown a great deal of commitment over the years to the South Knoxville community. I am sure he could have made a move if he would have liked to.

Tennessee sure did miss out on some very good players. I guess they would have taken the boys if they walk on. I heard thet even Lockwood was only a partail schorlarship. I guess the Large Orange doesn't think the local boys are worth a full ride.

Anyway good luck to the Kees,.

QUOTE(Mi Kees @ May 22 2007 - 03:56 PM) 826464677[/snapback]The problem is that these (F)antastic (F)ireballing (F)ellows (F)ail to get looks because of southern location in Knoxville. Your friendly caveman that does not wear blue and silver glasses, Sir Admiral.

Those guys got plenty of looks. In many cases the problem comes down to how much scholarship money UT is willing to allocate. And, whether real or perceived, opposing recruiters will try and point out arm problems with pitchers.

Coach Rock has realized that there's a lot of talent in East Tennessee, and he's working to get some of those guys down to Memphis.

QUOTE(bizazz @ May 24 2007 - 12:55 PM) 826466060[/snapback]Those guys got plenty of looks. In many cases the problem comes down to how much scholarship money UT is willing to allocate. And, whether real or perceived, opposing recruiters will try and point out arm problems with pitchers.

Coach Rock has realized that there's a lot of talent in East Tennessee, and he's working to get some of those guys down to Memphis.

is there game right now on the radio?

QUOTE(sportsrmylife @ May 24 2007 - 08:38 AM) 826465865[/snapback]You are so right. The scholarships normally go to pitchers and catchers and walk ons, if they are good enough can earn one the next season. Andy Siminek is the perfect example. I read in the paper that he was a walk on at UT and earned a starting position in left then took 3rd's starting position and is now in the lead off position batting, and leading the team BA. He's got a chance to be drafted too. He leads the nation in stolen bases with 54. He came out of Chatt State and lead the nation there too in SB. Crazy. He is not a big guy or anything, not like some of the South Doyle guys are. What are you guys feeding them in South Knox? I am glad they are doing so well. We wish them the best the rest of the way. They had WB's # in the reg season and tourn that's for sure. Hey i also read in the paper that Charlie Puleo is stepping down as the Baseball Coach at WB. Wonder if they will get a good one for the upcoming classes. They have a good program. Just needs some direction and some fire under those boys.

I don't plan to jump into this whole "who has scholarships and why" thing, but I had to point out one thing...Andy Simunic is a fine baseball player and he's doing a great job as a walk-on at UT. However, he hasn't taken the starting position at 3rd from Cody Brown!!! Cody has been hurt all season and playing with a bad shoulder which will require surgery once the season ends. Simunic is capable of playing the position and doing so allows UT to slide Chad Maddox into right and try to get his bat to produce. So if Cody is hurting, Simunic fills in, but he hasn't taken over the starting position at 3rd base.

Now don't get me wrong...Simunic WILL be in that starting lineup somewhere and he deserves it, but Cody Brown will be the starting 3rd baseman unless his injury dictates something else.

QUOTE(hozr @ May 25 2007 - 10:59 AM) 826466878[/snapback]I don't plan to jump into this whole "who has scholarships and why" thing, but I had to point out one thing...Andy Simunic is a fine baseball player and he's doing a great job as a walk-on at UT. However, he hasn't taken the starting position at 3rd from Cody Brown!!! Cody has been hurt all season and playing with a bad shoulder which will require surgery once the season ends. Simunic is capable of playing the position and doing so allows UT to slide Chad Maddox into right and try to get his bat to produce. So if Cody is hurting, Simunic fills in, but he hasn't taken over the starting position at 3rd base.

Now don't get me wrong...Simunic WILL be in that starting lineup somewhere and he deserves it, but Cody Brown will be the starting 3rd baseman unless his injury dictates something else.

You're right, Simunic has started in right field most season. He's also a fine catcher. He's proven to be a late bloomer, he started coming on his senior year of high school and has improved every year since.

QUOTE(bravos2007 @ May 21 2007 - 08:15 PM) 826464224[/snapback]ne thing but UT for baseball as they let 2 all americans go through their fingers somehow in Haun and Derek Trent and then let a pitcher like Bell i mean give me a break hopefully SD can go down to state and bring it back to East Tenn

UT baseball Coach Rod Delmonico didn't even make an attemp to call any of the guys this year. If they would have Been wearing Farragut Admiral uniforms then I would put money on that at least 4 of those guys would be plpaying their college ball at UT.