Bearden v Farragut State Finals

defaultuser

QUOTE(pseudophobia @ May 27 2007 - 03:55 PM) 826468097[/snapback]What I was referring to was Backstrom getting the ball taken away from him, then frantically running that player down and fouling him from behind....you could see it coming.

I don't think you could see the foul coming. You definitely see that Backstrom wanted to take the ball away. He completely out ran the kid. I remember seeing Backstrom get the ball taken away. The Bearden kid running down the field with it, Backstrom turns around and runs full sprint after him. The Bearden kid turns his head to look for him and sees him coming up really fast. Backstrom gets there and knocks the ball away. The Bearden kid falls to the ground. He was going for the ball. It wasn't like it was an attempt to go for the guy and only the guy. Farragut players play the ball, unlike a play I saw where the Bearden player threw a shoulder into a Farragut player's chest with no attempt at the ball what so ever. We understand you are disappointed pseudo. You talked Bearden up all year and the failed to back you up.

informed, is there a way you can put that video on the net? please?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ihavenofriendzz @ May 27 2007 - 05:09 PM) 826468145[/snapback]Ok, but I was talking about the long blonde haired fan for Bearden, not player. You said, "..yes that Bearden forward with long blonde hair (#3) I found extremely annoying." When you mentioned that he had blonde hair I was assuming you were referring to my comment when I said "Did you think the Bearden kid with long blondeish hair was annoying?". Sorry I didn't make it perfectly clear.

Oh sorry when you were talking about the blonde hair kid I thought you meant #3. My fault. Sorry

QUOTE(pseudophobia @ May 27 2007 - 03:55 PM) 826468097[/snapback]First off...do you know me?? Second, I wasn't in the stands and rarely ever sit with anyone that I know...it keeps me calm. If it was my wife that you are talking about- there was a Farragut student who blew my youngest son a kiss, which lead to the usual jabber back and forth...you know like a soccer game usually has. After that, the student pulled up his shirt, rubbed and pulled his nipples, through his head back and acted like he was really enjoying himself. This lead to all kinds of name calling, throwing things, that student getting yelled at by another parent, the police being informed, blah, blah, blah. I have nothing to do with that crap- had I been in the stands to see this crap I would probably be in jail right now- that's why I usually go somewhere that I can just watch the game in peace. What I was referring to was Backstrom getting the ball taken away from him, then frantically running that player down and fouling him from behind....you could see it coming. He was called for the foul and Bearden given the kick. Then as he is running backwards, he takes his hands and cups them around his crouch and shakes his private area...not just 1 time but he kept doing it...long enough for the ref to give him a yellow card, which was his second. How often do you see a player ejected for something like that? So, sorry to mention something that I saw that was on the field, in a game (this is a post about soccer isn't it?) but it wasn't me who did it. I have given them credit where it is due- is he a very good player- yes and I have never said otherwise. Do I think he will make it in college- no. The kinds of things he does will get him injured, if he gets to play.

Ok im gonna try to put an end to this. Im Ben Backstrom and first off i want to say that i got caught up in the moment and i let my emotions get the best of me and im sorry for what i did. The bearden player stole the ball from me so i chased him down and when i caught up to him and poked the ball away he decided to take a huge dive. The ref called a foul and this really frustrated me for some reason. So i called the bearden player a woman (in different terms) and made a womans body part with my hands (i know very inappropriate). I immediately regretted my actions especially when i received a double yellow for "taunting" and had to leave the game with about 6 minutes left. Luckily my teammates came through for me and finished off the game. Pseudo im not even going to say anything about you or ur family and i knew all u needed was one thing to again start hatin on me. But we won state so its all good in da hood. I hope this clears up this sticky situation. And i will end this with one of my favorite quotes "Dont hate the player, hate the game"

-Ben Tron Backstrom

QUOTE(The Tron Special @ May 27 2007 - 10:48 PM) 826468262[/snapback]Ok im gonna try to put an end to this. Im Ben Backstrom and first off i want to say that i got caught up in the moment and i let my emotions get the best of me and im sorry for what i did. The bearden player stole the ball from me so i chased him down and when i caught up to him and poked the ball away he decided to take a huge dive. The ref called a foul and this really frustrated me for some reason. So i called the bearden player a woman (in different terms) and made a womans body part with my hands (i know very inappropriate). I immediately regretted my actions especially when i received a double yellow for "taunting" and had to leave the game with about 6 minutes left. Luckily my teammates came through for me and finished off the game. Pseudo im not even going to say anything about you or ur family and i knew all u needed was one thing to again start hatin on me. But we won state so its all good in da hood. I hope this clears up this sticky situation. And i will end this with one of my favorite quotes "Dont hate the player, hate the game"

-Ben Tron Backstrom

Haha well that just ended all of this, which really doesn't matter anyways. Who cares if he did that, he is amazing and great freaking job on winning state Ben. You had a really good goal and you teammate had a amazing one to finish the game. Good job and good luck in college, I hope you do well.

QUOTE(The Tron Special @ May 27 2007 - 09:48 PM) 826468262[/snapback]Ok im gonna try to put an end to this. Im Ben Backstrom and first off i want to say that i got caught up in the moment and i let my emotions get the best of me and im sorry for what i did. The bearden player stole the ball from me so i chased him down and when i caught up to him and poked the ball away he decided to take a huge dive. The ref called a foul and this really frustrated me for some reason. So i called the bearden player a woman (in different terms) and made a womans body part with my hands (i know very inappropriate). I immediately regretted my actions especially when i received a double yellow for "taunting" and had to leave the game with about 6 minutes left. Luckily my teammates came through for me and finished off the game. Pseudo im not even going to say anything about you or ur family and i knew all u needed was one thing to again start hatin on me. But we won state so its all good in da hood. I hope this clears up this sticky situation. And i will end this with one of my favorite quotes "Dont hate the player, hate the game"

-Ben Tron Backstrom

If you are Ben, (and I'm assuming you are), I'm upset that I have defended you to numerous referees this year--several of which have claimed that you have made a similar gesture. Quite disappointing.

Either way...congrats on a great season and a state championship. Good luck in college soccer.

Surely this state championship game won't be defined by the immature antics of Ben Backstrom. These were two teams that dedicated their seasons to a teammate lost tragically(Bearden) and coach's daughter and team friend lost tragically(Farragut). Both had super seasons and were by far the 2 best teams in the state. On Saturday Farragut was the better team. Both teams should be proud of themselves, their fans, and their coaches. You both have soccer programs and an intense rivalry that are envied by many. You played a game that will be remembered by all that attended. Congratulations to Farragut for the win and to Bearden for a great game. Both will be back I am sure.

QUOTE(powerbar @ May 28 2007 - 08:04 AM) 826468355[/snapback]Surely this state championship game won't be defined by the immature antics of Ben Backstrom. These were two teams that dedicated their seasons to a teammate lost tragically(Bearden) and coach's daughter and team friend lost tragically(Farragut). Both had super seasons and were by far the 2 best teams in the state. On Saturday Farragut was the better team. Both teams should be proud of themselves, their fans, and their coaches. You both have soccer programs and an intense rivalry that are envied by many. You played a game that will be remembered by all that attended. Congratulations to Farragut for the win and to Bearden for a great game. Both will be back I am sure.

VERY well said. I also was very impressed with coach Turner's comments in the paper.

I think we have covered Ben's actions pretty well, so it would be nice to end on a good note. Well done Farragut and Bearden.

QUOTE(UPSGregg @ May 27 2007 - 12:46 PM) 826468063[/snapback]I'm not sure this was the best game ever but is surely near the top of the list. All this talk about obscene gestures and arguement among the fans is rediculous. What did you guys expect? When two rivals play each other in the state championship game there will be trouble. It's a given.

THEN YOU MY FREIND OBVIOUSLY DID NOT SEE THE GAME!!!!

QUOTE(ihavenofriendzz @ May 27 2007 - 03:31 PM) 826468133[/snapback]And Carlos I was meaning the picture that had Beuerlein hugging Moser. It looked like Beuerlein was about to kiss him, and the circumstance that made it not seem so weird was that he just won the game for them.

I would have kissed him if I had been on the field, that shot was GREAT!!

I have no dog in this fight, but I did attend this superb game. There is some obvious confusion about the rules and a particular incorrect call in this game.

There is no such thing as a red/yellow or double yellow for taunting. The only red/yellow situations are for a second yellow card in the same match or excessive celebration. This makes a huge difference since you can sub for a red/yellow but must play a man down for a straight red. Taunting was made a straight red for last season. Since even the player that committed the act referred to it as taunting, I don't think there is any question that it was taunting. Would playing a man down the last six minutes have made a difference in this game? Who knows, but that is what should have happened.

It is extremely disappointing that incorrect calls like this are made in the State Championship game. This is basic knowledge of the high school rules, and I hope that TSSAA and the center referee's local referee association reviews this situation with the center referee and the entire referee crew. There is no excuse for lack of knowledge of the high school rules especially when you are selected for the state tournament.