Bearden v Farragut State Finals

defaultuser

QUOTE(dins8 @ May 28 2007 - 12:44 AM) 826468287[/snapback]If you are Ben, (and I'm assuming you are), I'm upset that I have defended you to numerous referees this year--several of which have claimed that you have made a similar gesture. Quite disappointing.

Either way...congrats on a great season and a state championship. Good luck in college soccer.

Dins i promise u that was the first (and last) time i have ever made that gesture. I was in the heat of the moment and i let my emotions get the best of me.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(OnThePitch @ May 28 2007 - 10:40 AM) 826468367[/snapback]I would have kissed him if I had been on the field, that shot was GREAT!!

That is why I was saying considering the circumstances it wasn't so weird..

QUOTE(MD4Sports @ May 28 2007 - 12:26 PM) 826468393[/snapback]I have no dog in this fight, but I did attend this superb game. There is some obvious confusion about the rules and a particular incorrect call in this game.

There is no such thing as a red/yellow or double yellow for taunting. The only red/yellow situations are for a second yellow card in the same match or excessive celebration. This makes a huge difference since you can sub for a red/yellow but must play a man down for a straight red. Taunting was made a straight red for last season. Since even the player that committed the act referred to it as taunting, I don't think there is any question that it was taunting. Would playing a man down the last six minutes have made a difference in this game? Who knows, but that is what should have happened.

It is extremely disappointing that incorrect calls like this are made in the State Championship game. This is basic knowledge of the high school rules, and I hope that TSSAA and the center referee's local referee association reviews this situation with the center referee and the entire referee crew. There is no excuse for lack of knowledge of the high school rules especially when you are selected for the state tournament.

I don't consider making that gestusture "taunting", but that is just my opinion. He said he was calling him a girl. That is not "taunting" so maybe he said "taunting" in his apology because a few other people had said that is what he did. I don't know though, but I don't consider name calling taunting. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. Lets talk about how we are going to watch the game again. Does anyone want to put it on the internet?

QUOTE(MD4Sports @ May 28 2007 - 11:26 AM) 826468393[/snapback]It is extremely disappointing that incorrect calls like this are made in the State Championship game. This is basic knowledge of the high school rules, and I hope that TSSAA and the center referee's local referee association reviews this situation with the center referee and the entire referee crew. There is no excuse for lack of knowledge of the high school rules especially when you are selected for the state tournament.

I posted in an earlier thread that I felt that 99% of people try to do a good job. I saw the other 1% reffing the state tournament. It wasn't just the final game. On the whole, officiating was weak at best. I saw 10 of the games, AAA AA/A and Div II. The application of what was a foul, offsides, or cardable varied by what combination of refs you had. I dont' know if they rotate officials as a crew or as individuals, but there were a few CR AR combinations that didn't look like they worked well together. It appeared in one game that the AR was not allowed to call anything but offsides and out of bounds.

Congrats to Bearden and Farragut for making it to the final, and Farragut for taking home the prize.

QUOTE(ihavenofriendzz @ May 28 2007 - 12:28 PM) 826468429[/snapback]That is why I was saying considering the circumstances it wasn't so weird..

I don't consider making that gestusture "taunting", but that is just my opinion. He said he was calling him a girl. That is not "taunting" so maybe he said "taunting" in his apology because a few other people had said that is what he did. I don't know though, but I don't consider name calling taunting. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. Lets talk about how we are going to watch the game again. Does anyone want to put it on the internet?

There are certain folks in our society that will kill U over that gesture! It's not the girl but the part.

QUOTE(rigger101 @ May 28 2007 - 05:53 PM) 826468513[/snapback]There are certain folks in our society that will kill U over that gesture! It's not the girl but the part.

There are people in society that will kill someone for anything. Personally I think what he did was hilarious. Was it inappropriate? Yeah, but that doesn't mean it isn't funny and is not deserved. He took a dive and thats all there is to say about it. Like I said earlier. If you ever see the video of it, the Bearden guy turns his head looking for Ben. You can see when he realizes Ben is about to take the ball right backl from him. I could see that from the stands. It was almost like he, the Bearden player, was thinking....dang, he is about to take the ball from me!

Sorry Ihavenofriends- you're wrong

I do have access to the video and I just watched that exact play, what happened is this:

Backstrom got stripped at the 18 by Aaron who took the ball up field

Backstrom chased him down - stepped on his foot knocking him down then kicked the ball-

call him p---- grabbed his crotch and got a yellow/red card

I'll be happy to digitize that play and put it out on youtube and send a post tomorrow night with a link

Then maybe you can accept victory with grace

But you are saying he hit the ball right? I was not wrong, although I did say he took a dive. Which I still think he did. I said everything you said except for the stepping on the foot. What are you talking about? Accepting victory with grace? I am not making fun of anyone. Bearden is one of the best teams in the state. Can you please post it on youtube? I want to see it. Also can you go ahead and put all the goals up there too? When you post the video and it proves I am wrong I will admit it. Until then I am going to say that he took a dive. I am sorry that I am not perfect and didn't video tape it to review every little play. You might as well review the play where a Bearden guy threw a shoulder into Jake Russell, or maybe I saw that wrong too.

even if I am wrong will it change the outcome of the game? no.

QUOTE(what @ May 28 2007 - 06:36 PM) 826468533[/snapback]Sorry Ihavenofriends- you're wrong

I do have access to the video and I just watched that exact play, what happened is this:

Backstrom got stripped at the 18 by Aaron who took the ball up field

Backstrom chased him down - stepped on his foot knocking him down then kicked the ball-

call him p---- grabbed his crotch and got a yellow/red card

I'll be happy to digitize that play and put it out on youtube and send a post tomorrow night with a link

Then maybe you can accept victory with grace

Place that on youtube...a must see.

QUOTE(OnThePitch @ May 28 2007 - 09:31 AM) 826468364[/snapback]THEN YOU MY FREIND OBVIOUSLY DID NOT SEE THE GAME!!!!

I'm sure some players from more than a few of the past state championship gams would agree with me but who knows? Yes, I wasn't there but I've seen my share of championship games. Based on what I've read, and heard, about this one I'd have to say it sounds more like it belongs in the top 3 but not quite the best game ever. I've heard all this before. Everyone believes their game, or the game that they saw, was the best ever. One thing is certain though. This game wasn't lacking any offense. That's the kind of soccer I like to watch. I'm just glad Farragut won.

QUOTE(UPSGregg @ May 28 2007 - 10:53 PM) 826468590[/snapback]Everyone believes their game, or the game that they saw, was the best ever.

That is true. I will say that the Farragut/Bearden game a few years ago, I think in 2003, in the regional final, also won by Farragut 5-4, was one of the better games I have seen. The only soccer games I have been to were Farragut ones, and the only real memorable ones are the Bearden ones. What I think made this game so great was that Farragut came back from 1 down to take the lead in :30. Farragut was later up 2 and Bearden came back to tie it. Then of course, the free kick to win it with 2 minutes left. What also made it great was most of the goals were nice. There were a couple garbage goals, but the heel kick goal to tie it with 3-4minutes left was amazing. I didn't know how good it really was until I got home and saw it on the news. The headers by Farragut, a great throughball from Russell to Backstrom in the center of the box, and that free kick were also good.

I think it is impossible for there to be a greatest game of all time, because no one has seen every single game. For most people, including me, this will be the greatest game they ever attended, played in, and/or possibly will see. The more games you see, the more the chances of you seeing a better game. It is all just an opinion.