Time for a change

therock

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Jun 5 2007 - 01:53 PM) 826471640[/snapback]No apologies needed. There are is a private poster on here that has flat got me fired up to say things I never would have said, but I cant judge that one guy (not you Baldcoach) to the rest of the good people in privates. He just represents himself and not the true meaning of a private school mission. I have come to a conclusion the huge advantage privates have on publics is open zoning in huge metropilitan cities than the recruiting (cheating) we have both referred to.

You are certainy correct that it is a huge advantage. Large urban areas, by sheer population, are going to have a higher number of top athletes. When many privates have a higher percentage of top athletes coming from their schools, that can be seen as a marker for part of what is going on. There are great athletes who come all the way through private, k-12. But there are also a lot og great athletes that leave publics around their 8th and 9th grade years. Most of those families lives, careers, and financial circumstances don't change, but now they suddenly want to pay private tuition. I've seen it happen all over the country and I am very aware of happening in middle tn.

Privates don't offer scholarships to kids who come knocking on their school doors. Many kids and families are not aware that privates offer scholarships. How do you think they become aware? Its not too hard to figure out.

maybe I'll have more kids and at the right time, head to a private school and say, "my son is a great athlete, give him a scholarship so he can come to your school." hhhhhmmmm; I dont think that will work for some reason...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Jun 5 2007 - 12:53 PM) 826471640[/snapback]No apologies needed. There are is a private poster on here that has flat got me fired up to say things I never would have said, but I cant judge that one guy (not you Baldcoach) to the rest of the good people in privates. He just represents himself and not the true meaning of a private school mission. I have come to a conclusion the huge advantage privates have on publics is open zoning in huge metropilitan cities than the recruiting (cheating) we have both referred to.

But really now, don't you think it is a little more complex than that? If your assertion above were true, then it would stand to reason that all (or virtually all) of the small private schools in urban areas would be successful in all the sports and none (or virtually none) of the small private schools in non-urban settings would be successful in anything. Likewise none (or virtually none) of the small public schools in rural areas would have any success in any of the sports and all (or virtually all) of the public schools in rural areas would be unsuccessful in everything. We are both reasonable people and we can see that there are numerous exceptions to those rules on both sides of the equation.

Every school has some advantage over every other school. The schools, public or private, that have the most successful outcomes are those that are able to maximize their distinct advantages and minimize the problems associated with their disadvantages.

Maybe another thing we need to do is re-define "success." To me, success means you maximize your potential. That implies that everyone's potential is not the same. I have seen teams that have gotten to the championship level that I would not necessarily define as "successful." I have also seen teams that have fallen short of championship caliber that were very successful. As long as we crown a "champion" there are going to be teams that do not reach that level of "success."

QUOTE(BackinTN @ Jun 5 2007 - 03:03 PM) 826471643[/snapback]You are certainy correct that it is a huge advantage. Large urban areas, by sheer population, are going to have a higher number of top athletes. When many privates have a higher percentage of top athletes coming from their schools, that can be seen as a marker for part of what is going on. There are great athletes who come all the way through private, k-12. But there are also a lot og great athletes that leave publics around their 8th and 9th grade years. Most of those families lives, careers, and financial circumstances don't change, but now they suddenly want to pay private tuition. I've seen it happen all over the country and I am very aware of happening in middle tn.

Privates don't offer scholarships to kids who come knocking on their school doors. Many kids and families are not aware that privates offer scholarships. How do you think they become aware? Its not too hard to figure out.

maybe I'll have more kids and at the right time, head to a private school and say, "my son is a great athlete, give him a scholarship so he can come to your school." hhhhhmmmm; I dont think that will work for some reason...

Backin'

several unfounded and in fact flatly wrong things with your post...let's break them down, shall we?

1)"But there are also a lot og great athletes that leave publics around their 8th and 9th grade years."

Ok, name 25. After all, with 150 privates in the state if the above statement is true then literally hundreds of the top athletes in the state must have transfered to privates in the last year or 2. So name just a few...25 or so.

2) "Many kids and families are not aware that privates offer scholarships."

Hmm...that is because they do not. It is illegal to offer scholarships of any kind. And financial aid is illegal for athletes to receive if the school is DI.

3)"How do you think they become aware? Its not too hard to figure out. "

Now, see, this is what got you and me into it in the first place...sleazy innuendo. If you have something to say just say it. But let me jump in and answer the unsaid accusation...They don't become aware because NO ONE offers scholarships to athletes. You would know this if you had ever discussed this issue or knew the rules. It is even illegal in DII...

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ Jun 6 2007 - 10:48 PM) 826472393[/snapback]Backin'

several unfounded and in fact flatly wrong things with your post...let's break them down, shall we?

1)"But there are also a lot og great athletes that leave publics around their 8th and 9th grade years."

Ok, name 25. After all, with 150 privates in the state if the above statement is true then literally hundreds of the top athletes in the state must have transfered to privates in the last year or 2. So name just a few...25 or so.

2) "Many kids and families are not aware that privates offer scholarships."

Hmm...that is because they do not. It is illegal to offer scholarships of any kind. And financial aid is illegal for athletes to receive if the school is DI.

3)"How do you think they become aware? Its not too hard to figure out. "

Now, see, this is what got you and me into it in the first place...sleazy innuendo. If you have something to say just say it. But let me jump in and answer the unsaid accusation...They don't become aware because NO ONE offers scholarships to athletes. You would know this if you had ever discussed this issue or knew the rules. It is even illegal in DII...

Scholarships, financial aid, anonymous donations, generous benefactors, etc, call it whatever you want. It happens. I know, same old response; "prove it." I know what was said to me and I know what was offered. I have all the proof I need. You are rehashing the same old ground.

Grow up and move on.

QUOTE(BackinTN @ Jun 7 2007 - 06:55 AM) 826472455[/snapback]Scholarships, financial aid, anonymous donations, generous benefactors, etc, call it whatever you want. It happens. I know, same old response; "prove it." I know what was said to me and I know what was offered. I have all the proof I need. You are rehashing the same old ground.

Grow up and move on.

Is it "grown up" to say, "It happened to me and I don't have to prove it to you or anyone?"

All BC is asking you to do is to be specific about your allegations and/or stop being so generic. The fact is that anyone can say anything on these boards and unless what they say is general public knowledge (scores, coaches being hired, schedules, etc.) or can be substantiated with specific facts it is all just innuendo.

QUOTE(supersteve17 @ Jun 7 2007 - 04:05 PM) 826472609[/snapback]Is it "grown up" to say, "It happened to me and I don't have to prove it to you or anyone?"

All BC is asking you to do is to be specific about your allegations and/or stop being so generic. The fact is that anyone can say anything on these boards and unless what they say is general public knowledge (scores, coaches being hired, schedules, etc.) or can be substantiated with specific facts it is all just innuendo.

Wait . . . let me save BackinTN some time and answer for him . . . let's see, I think it would go something like this:

"I've said all I'm going to say. I've taken the high road and spoken from my experience. It's not my fault that your logic is lacking and that you can't understand my fact based opinion. You need to quit looking in the circus mirror that makes you look bigger and smarter than you are -- did you forget to take your medication? You have insulted my mother and now you are very emotional -- all I can do is speak from my experience and I know that I was approached by a private school, not a pubic school. I know what I know so grow up and move on. Iv'e had kids in both public . .and . .privateschoolsandIdon'thaveaspecificreasontoblameoneortheotherexceptformyexperienc . . . . zzzzzzzzzz"

QUOTE(supersteve17 @ Jun 7 2007 - 04:05 PM) 826472609[/snapback]Is it "grown up" to say, "It happened to me and I don't have to prove it to you or anyone?"

It would be obsurd of my to bring specific charges against a named school on a message board. That is a legal battle I have no desire to get into. Sure, anyone can say anything. But as I have said many times before on these same threads, I have no axes to grind with publics or privates. I have experience with both. I only have knowledge of what has happened in my experience. Unfortunately, that experience is a little more than some with delicate constitutions want to hear. If I had knowledge of public schools involved with wrong doings, I would share that as well. I don't.

Why do some think that debate can only happen when you hear what you want to hear? Why does anyone think debate can be constructive unless you hear and understand the full scope of the problem? Why is it that when someone who has direct experience with the problems and actually can provide some insight into what is happening, they get slammed and called a liar? BC cannot say that all privates run completely cleanly. I have never said all privates cheat, as he has claimed I have. There is a problem out there. I have knowledge of it. Deal with it.

QUOTE(BackinTN @ Jun 8 2007 - 07:38 AM) 826472841[/snapback]It would be obsurd of my to bring specific charges against a named school on a message board. That is a legal battle I have no desire to get into. Sure, anyone can say anything. But as I have said many times before on these same threads, I have no axes to grind with publics or privates. I have experience with both. I only have knowledge of what has happened in my experience. Unfortunately, that experience is a little more than some with delicate constitutions want to hear. If I had knowledge of public schools involved with wrong doings, I would share that as well. I don't.

Why do some think that debate can only happen when you hear what you want to hear? Why does anyone think debate can be constructive unless you hear and understand the full scope of the problem? Why is it that when someone who has direct experience with the problems and actually can provide some insight into what is happening, they get slammed and called a liar? BC cannot say that all privates run completely cleanly. I have never said all privates cheat, as he has claimed I have. There is a problem out there. I have knowledge of it. Deal with it.

I wasn't too far off . . .

QUOTE(fan6 @ Jun 8 2007 - 09:50 AM) 826472880[/snapback]I wasn't too far off . . .

That really added to the discussion. Thanks. Thats why I didnt respond to your earlier post. It added nothing. Try to be of some consequence next time.

Like most, apparently you want to ignore the problem, even though its existence is rarely questioned. If you deny that the problem exists, and try to slander and intimidate those who do have information, then you get to keep doing business as usual.

If you are a clean run private, you should be as adamant at exposing the problem and fixing it as those who speak about against it. Open your eyes and your minds. Work toward a solution, not this mundane montra of "prove it."

QUOTE(BackinTN @ Jun 8 2007 - 11:15 AM) 826472906[/snapback]That really added to the discussion. Thanks. Thats why I didnt respond to your earlier post. It added nothing. Try to be of some consequence next time.

The school he supports charges him $101,500 for 7 years, per child. He has to defend them, otherwise he would look like a complete fool. They paid their football coach $118,00 last year and their boys basketball coach $95,000. But, they don't have any advantages.

QUOTE(larry @ Jun 8 2007 - 01:18 PM) 826472941[/snapback]The school he supports charges him $101,500 for 7 years, per child. He has to defend them, otherwise he would look like a complete fool. They paid their football coach $118,00 last year and their boys basketball coach $95,000. But, they don't have any advantages.

OK, BackinTN. And this post adds what to the discussion since you have judging the value of other people's posts? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="