Time for a change

therock

QUOTE(larry @ Jun 5 2007 - 08:44 AM) 826471495[/snapback]Why people would pay $75,000+ over 13 years to send their kids to a private school is an unknown to me which is why I am asking you. What is so vile in the public system that forces you to make that choice?

Does the fact that you take what you must consider the elite kids from certain socioeconomic groups out of public schools, and then turn around and want to compete with those same vile schools on an "equal" basis, not hypocritical?

Rural.

Let me start, then, from your area. In a rural area the schools are local, community schools. In an urban area they are not. The major urban areas of Tennessee have the largest, lowest scoring, most violent schools in the state. Further, kids are zoned in from all over, while their neighbors are zoned away to other schools. Thus, many families in urban areas opt for the smaller, more family feeling small privates. In a small private a kid can go k-12 with his classmates. There are not so many that he/she doesn't know them all, and, in the case of the small religious privates, he/she can actually be taught about Jesus every day. Class sizes are held down in the low 20s at the most. Disruptive students are punished and removed from the classrooms. Some families are willing to pay for that over the 2nd or 3rd car, or the boat, or the bigger house, because they think it is important. Many rural small schools are just like that...thus, a lot of people in the city opt for the small privates because they want a school that is like the rural small schools. That is why I keep saying that the DI privates are much more like the publics they play than they are like the elite preps. And that is why there aren't as many privates in the rural areas as there are in urban, the demand here is much higher.

And we DON'T "take the elite kids" out of any school system. The DI privates are NOT selective in their admissions. I keep saying this but it won't sink in. We take any child who has any chance of making it here...most of our kids are average students. We take them because this is a mission to us. But even if we were taking elite kids, it wouldn't be from the schools we compete with, it would be from the big schools in our county...the rural schools would lose few if any kids to us.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ Jun 5 2007 - 01:03 PM) 826471612[/snapback]thus, A LOT of people in the city opt for the small privates because they want a school that is like the rural small schools. That is why I keep saying that the DI privates are much more like the publics they play than they are like the elite preps. And that is why there aren't as many privates in the rural areas as there are in urban, the demand here is much higher.

But even if we were taking elite kids, it wouldn't be from the schools we compete with, it would be from the big schools in our county...the rural schools would lose few if any kids to us.

So there you have it. It is a good mission, but it is an advantage over the rural 1A schools. Rural schools, especially zoned ones, get what they get. They dont pull elite kids from larger schools, unless there family ups and moves and gets rid of the first car and and small house. Its not that rural lose kids to privates, its fact you can draw from so many larger public schools in large metropolitan cities. Read your post you even admitted it.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Jun 5 2007 - 01:46 PM) 826471600[/snapback]We live in a world of sin. If you are sending your kid to a private school to avoid sex,drugs, and rock and roll you are wasting your money. It is everywhere. I will say there are some privates that offer better education, but it is my "opinion" education starts at home wether you are public or private. If you raise your kid to respect education and what it can do and you stick by them it shouldnt matter what school you attend.

So...let's suppose (hypothetically) MPHS suddenly developed a really bad gang problem. Drugs were rampant and kids were being harrassed and beaten up if they didn't join one gang or another. The gangs were getting in fights, kids were going to the hospital in record numbers. Females were being assualted. Metal detectors were added as well as "school resource officers". Test scores were falling into the lower 10% of the state (which is 42 out of 50 already). And you have the option of taking your kids out of MPHS to send them to another public school which has none of the problems that MPHS has developed.

Would you move your kids or would you say "Education starts at home...I raised my kids to respect education and it doesn't matter what school they attend"?

It isn't a matter of whether there is sin everywhere, of course there is. It is a matter of what and how much you want your children exposed to. Do I want my kids dealing with gangs, drugs, sex, large classes, and fear every day or do I want them feeling safe, around other well behaved kids, in small classes, and hearing about Jesus and being a good, honest person every day. Remember, for 13 of their first 18 years about half of their waking hours are spent at school. You don't raise kids in a vacuum...they are at school more than they are with you.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Jun 5 2007 - 02:12 PM) 826471618[/snapback]So there you have it. It is a good mission, but it is an advantage over the rural 1A schools. Rural schools, especially zoned ones, get what they get. They dont pull elite kids from larger schools, unless there family ups and moves and gets rid of the first car and and small house. Its not that rural lose kids to privates, its fact you can draw from so many larger public schools in large metropolitan cities. Read your post you even admitted it.

HUH?

I said "even if we were taking elite kids", which means that we are NOT. Were you being serious?? Maybe you should go back and reread the post, it actually said just the opposite of what you posted.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Jun 5 2007 - 01:12 PM) 826471618[/snapback]So there you have it. It is a good mission, but it is an advantage over the rural 1A schools. Rural schools, especially zoned ones, get what they get. They dont pull elite kids from larger schools, unless there family ups and moves and gets rid of the first car and and small house. Its not that rural lose kids to privates, its fact you can draw from so many larger public schools in large metropolitan cities. Read your post you even admitted it.

HAH...great! MPHS, I have figured out baldcoach's problem, as proven by his own posts, his logic is lacking. And by the way he rips into me for my fact based opinion, he is very threatened and emotional. He jumps from one thought to another, doesnt stay focused on the paricular point at hand, and tries to shift focus away from anything that is actually true or logical albiet againt his opinion.

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ Jun 5 2007 - 01:13 PM) 826471619[/snapback]So...let's suppose (hypothetically) MPHS suddenly developed a really bad gang problem. Drugs were rampant and kids were being harrassed and beaten up if they didn't join one gang or another. The gangs were getting in fights, kids were going to the hospital in record numbers. Females were being assualted. Metal detectors were added as well as "school resource officers". Test scores were falling into the lower 10% of the state (which is 42 out of 50 already). And you have the option of taking your kids out of MPHS to send them to another public school which has none of the problems that MPHS has developed.

Would you move your kids or would you say "Education starts at home...I raised my kids to respect education and it doesn't matter what school they attend"?

It isn't a matter of whether there is sin everywhere, of course there is. It is a matter of what and how much you want your children exposed to. Do I want my kids dealing with gangs, drugs, sex, large classes, and fear every day or do I want them feeling safe, around other well behaved kids, in small classes, and hearing about Jesus and being a good, honest person every day. Remember, for 13 of their first 18 years about half of their waking hours are spent at school. You don't raise kids in a vacuum...they are at school more than they are with you.

Maybe my kid can make a difference to just one other person in that enviroment. If so it would be his calling. If he is raised right it wouldnt matter. Jesus just didnt walk in the safe and controlled enviroments. I would rather my son be a leader for Christ in an enviroment like you (hypothetically) created then attend a private christian school and say all the right things and act the right way when needed, but when alone do the drugs, sex, and rock and roll thing. I'm not saying all private kids do that, but even when I was in high school (public) my friend and I went to a private school to visit one of his other friends at a banquet, little did I know he was buying pot. I demanded he take me home then. Sin is everywhere and just because a private doesnt have the police there everyday and unwed pregnant mothers walking the halls, doenst mean the acts arent being performed. Talking about mommas, she always said dont point a finger at someone or something unless you want three more pointing back at yourself.

QUOTE(BackinTN @ Jun 5 2007 - 02:18 PM) 826471624[/snapback]HAH...great! MPHS, I have figured out baldcoach's problem, as proven by his own posts, his logic is lacking. And by the way he rips into me for my fact based opinion, he is very threatened and emotional. He jumps from one thought to another, doesnt stay focused on the paricular point at hand, and tries to shift focus away from anything that is actually true or logical albiet againt his opinion.

Backin'

I'll cross logic swords with you any day. I always answer you guys completely, and I will never shift focus. Go back and check. Again we are into the unfounded accusations.

Ask me any question you want to...you may not get the answer you want but I will give you a complete answer, just like I have all along.

P.s. Logically, the bold faced statement above is called Argumentum ad Hominem...look it up.

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ Jun 5 2007 - 01:03 PM) 826471612[/snapback]a lot of people in the city opt for the small privates because they want a school that is like the rural small schools.

You said it. A LOT of people in the CITY............advantage privates. You have a huge pool to pull from because so many of them want that rural feeling. Thus they attend a SMALL PRIVATE in 1A. I'm not saying this is a sin (cheating), its fact that it is an advantage. I stated in a rural community especially zoned there isnt people opting for anything. The small school gets what they get in there small community.

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ Jun 5 2007 - 01:27 PM) 826471629[/snapback]Backin'

I'll cross logic swords with you any day. I always answer you guys completely, and I will never shift focus. Go back and check. Again we are into the unfounded accusations.

Ask me any question you want to...you may not get the answer you want but I will give you a complete answer, just like I have all along.

P.s. Logically, the bold faced statement above is called Argumentum ad Hominem...look it up.

Dont need to look it up.

You must have one of those circus mirrors at home. Makes you think you are bigger and smarter than you are. You go back and read your own posts. You do jump around to find the argument you think shifts focus. Did you forget to take some medication?

And don't ever presume to speak for my mother again.

Speak for yourself, and only for yourself. That is all I have done here. Spoken for myself, from my experience; what I have seen and heard with my own eyes and ears. You have spoken for my mother, your mother, your wife, your school, and all other privates.

QUOTE(BackinTN @ Jun 5 2007 - 01:18 PM) 826471624[/snapback]HAH...great! MPHS, I have figured out baldcoach's problem, as proven by his own posts, his logic is lacking. And by the way he rips into me for my fact based opinion, he is very threatened and emotional. He jumps from one thought to another, doesnt stay focused on the paricular point at hand, and tries to shift focus away from anything that is actually true or logical albiet againt his opinion.

Backintn, I'm thrilled to have a public poster on here supporting the public cause, but if you have something to say to Baldcoach say it to him. I agree with ya but I'm not going post remarks like he isnt in the room. Thanks man.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Jun 5 2007 - 01:42 PM) 826471635[/snapback]Backintn, I'm thrilled to have a public poster on here supporting the public cause, but if you have something to say to Baldcoach say it to him. I agree with ya but I'm not going post remarks like he isnt in the room. Thanks man.

I've said all I need to say to him, lol. Its ironic that you think I am a public poster. I am both. Had kids in both. Worked with both. I have about an objective and multifaceted view as anyone I know. Its always humorous to see how much more riled up one group gets than another. Even when the high road is trying to be taken, we get a little pullod off course. My apologies.

QUOTE(BackinTN @ Jun 5 2007 - 01:46 PM) 826471637[/snapback]I've said all I need to say to him, lol. Its ironic that you think I am a public poster. I am both. Had kids in both. Worked with both. I have about an objective and multifaceted view as anyone I know. Its always humorous to see how much more riled up one group gets than another. Even when the high road is trying to be taken, we get a little pullod off course. My apologies.

No apologies needed. There are is a private poster on here that has flat got me fired up to say things I never would have said, but I cant judge that one guy (not you Baldcoach) to the rest of the good people in privates. He just represents himself and not the true meaning of a private school mission. I have come to a conclusion the huge advantage privates have on publics is open zoning in huge metropilitan cities than the recruiting (cheating) we have both referred to.