Region 4-5A Predictions

VOL DAWG

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wing t

I was very suprised Riverdale switched to it last year because most of the time teams (like coffe county) run it to make up for a lack of over all talent or team speed both of which Riverdale always has They certainly ran it well but--------you just have to wonder if they might not have put up as big of numbers running a pro style offense and with the passing game included.

I am also suprised Oakland is switching? I do understand some because they have struggled recently with qb consistency but once again once you go to this offense you are taking a certain amount of options off the table. Once again is the decision made to run the wing t a decision based on thinking it is a good offense or is it a decision made based on it covers up weaknesses

Everybody talks about how well riverdale ran the wing t last yr but the truth is with their offensive line they were going to run the ball on anybody in any offense.

I am just not a fan of the wing t unless you just pretty much say we don't have anybody that can throw it a lick.

Its like a basketball team announcing we are not going to shoot threes or we are not going to shoot any threes either way once you take certain parts of your offense off the table you make it easier to defend

When its working it is great but boy when it gets stopped and your team gets behind you are in trouble.

Very interesting 3 teams in the region running the wing t

Actually 2p, Vol Dawg is partially correct! One of the WC wing-t coaches is back and it is not the former head man. The WC offense got a big face lift the second year that Alexander was at WC. When Coach Moore was let go at Cumberland 3 years ago; his line coach and old collaborator Wes Elrod (retired from Metro-Nashville schools) also left and carried the offense to WC. He and Alexander also colaborated quite nicely and had a couple nice years. Elrod and another WC coach went to CU with Alexander, but both left after the first season and have since returned to WC.

I will go out on a limb here and say that the WC offense will be improved in 07; whether it will translate into more wins ..........I simply have not a clue. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

2p, Just thought I would add to your 4-5A info base.

Coach Elrod is a good one

82cat, look at it this way. With teams seeing so much of the wing-t they should be able to defend against it. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I really do hope the rumors are true that R'dale is gonna throw more out of it this year. Hard for ANY offense to run when the other teams are loading the box with 10 all the time.

It was remarkable riverdale was able to run the ball so effectively without a passing game but in my opinion it was due to 2 things

1.outstanding line

2.scott thomas

they still have #1 but will miss number 2

As I said everyone has their opinions and I just am not a wing t fan for reasons I noted.

and if riverdale is not raising a championship trophy at the end of the year I imagine I will have some that will agree with me /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Wing t

I was very suprised Riverdale switched to it last year because most of the time teams (like coffe county) run it to make up for a lack of over all talent or team speed both of which Riverdale always has They certainly ran it well but--------you just have to wonder if they might not have put up as big of numbers running a pro style offense and with the passing game included.

I am also suprised Oakland is switching? I do understand some because they have struggled recently with qb consistency but once again once you go to this offense you are taking a certain amount of options off the table. Once again is the decision made to run the wing t a decision based on thinking it is a good offense or is it a decision made based on it covers up weaknesses

Everybody talks about how well riverdale ran the wing t last yr but the truth is with their offensive line they were going to run the ball on anybody in any offense.

I am just not a fan of the wing t unless you just pretty much say we don't have anybody that can throw it a lick.

Its like a basketball team announcing we are not going to shoot threes or we are not going to shoot any threes either way once you take certain parts of your offense off the table you make it easier to defend

When its working it is great but boy when it gets stopped and your team gets behind you are in trouble.

I am not a huge supporter of the Wing-T, but when you look at who Oakland has returning on offense and where their strengths lie, the wing-t is about as good of a offense to run for Oakland's sake as any. Oakland has a multitude of good running backs returning and there is so many ways that you can run the wing-t, Coach A runs the old school version, but you can pass and with good success out of it. It is a predominantly run defense, but there are so many different ways you can attack a defense with it.

I dont proclaim that Oakland will be any better than WC or Riverdale, but I do know it give the defense some more rest and a better chance to win the game. Anybody that watched Oakland last year knows that the defense had to try to cover for all the weaknesses that Oakland had on offense, with a good offense, Oakland is in the playoffs last year, its as simple as that. Also, I think moving away from our past blocking scheme will help alot as well, It worked great for Oakland in the late 90's, but its outdated, at least for Oakland. I believe Oakland is in a much better position to make the playoffs last year than they were the year before, IMO

Wing t

One thing that you are not considering is that the wing t allows for several backs to get involved. Oakland has a great many more talented backs than it has had in the past few years. Only 2 of the top 8 are seniors. There are also 3 QB's with the capability to start. All three have great arms and all three are good runners, as well. Not one of them is a senior. Also, it can be much more wide open than the pro in many ways. If you just want to run a vanilla-type offense out of it, you can. However, it also causes a great many problems when several people can run the ball in several different directions from several different formations. We will throw out of every formation and off of every run play, as well. We didn't switch to the wing t because of lack of talent, but because we have more than we have had in a while.

One thing that you are not considering is that the wing t allows for several backs to get involved. Oakland has a great many more talented backs than it has had in the past few years. Only 2 of the top 8 are seniors. There are also 3 QB's with the capability to start. All three have great arms and all three are good runners, as well. Not one of them is a senior. Also, it can be much more wide open than the pro in many ways. If you just want to run a vanilla-type offense out of it, you can. However, it also causes a great many problems when several people can run the ball in several different directions from several different formations. We will throw out of every formation and off of every run play, as well. We didn't switch to the wing t because of lack of talent, but because we have more than we have had in a while.

Sorry about posting this so many times.

Sorry about posting this so many times.

You beat me to it, sling. I was going to say basically exactly what you said. The yr before last, WC did a good job mixing it up. Aaron Scott had a great arm and when you loaded it up, he slung it.

We have a plethora of backs and this is a great offense to showcase them and keep them fresh. We really haven't had a reliable running game since Carlos Crawford, Region MVP , graduated.

A reminder that Hillsboro has successfully run the wingt for yrs. They are consistently one of the top teams in the state with the most talent yr to yr. I don't think they run the wingt because they have weaknesses to hide.

Riverdale ran wingt in the Pre-Rankin days and folk were very upset when Rankin abandoned it.

It was remarkable riverdale was able to run the ball so effectively without a passing game but in my opinion it was due to 2 things

1.outstanding line

2.scott thomas

they still have #1 but will miss number 2

As I said everyone has their opinions and I just am not a wing t fan for reasons I noted.

and if riverdale is not raising a championship trophy at the end of the year I imagine I will have some that will agree with me /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Got some bad news for you Cat...................Riverdale did NOT run the Wing-T last season! They were actually a dbl-wing option team. Think Navy and Air Force, old Ga Southern(who by the way do not have quite as good material as the N Dames and Tennessee's of the football world) offense. Those service academies run it so they might have a chance at winning............if memory serves me correct AF scared the the "Big Orange" a tad.

Cat, congrats to Smyrna on winning the state..............a play was made when it needed to be made and the stars were aligned just right! Both times you played Riverdale, your offense did not crack 200 yds where Riverdale had over 500 yds rushing the first game and 300 offense the playoff game. Point is that their offense is actually pretty good and probably will be again this year...............*note QB's do not rush for a bunch of yds in a true wing-T offense.............Thomas had 167 first game and 150 the second game-------they be an option team. If you really want to classify what they do, I would say they are much closer to being an old-fashioned WISHBONE team, but definitely not Wing-T. Sorry!

for the record............Coffee Co. is a Wing-t team.

I know for some reason many of you are convinced that you cannot win with that old-timey offense, but there are some pretty good teams in Georgia and Florida that do very well in the offense.

Another news flash...........there is a college team south of us that is running an even older offense called the Single-Wing (shades of Gen Neyland and Johnny Majors) and this year it will probably even be stronger with that big ole Tailback they have ................Teebo. Urban Meyer is getting closer to it all the time..............that league he came from has the most innovative offenses in college.............Boise State (from his old league) beat a fair team with one of the oldest plays in football "The Statue of Liberty".

I actually think most college football is boring because most try to imitate the pro game...........if you seen one game you have pretty well seen them all..........I really like high school ball simply because of all the different and diverse flavors. I definitely respect your opinion, I just do not agree with it. What ever offense you run..............in a tough game; you better be able to run that thing off tackle.

sos

o.k. sonof shadow...name the last wing t team to beat RIVERDALE also tell me the last wing t team to win state in 5A? I agree with cat about the wing t i am anxios for the day that they prove me wrong. I love RIVERDALE AND I LOVE FOOTBALL and i love those kids so i am begging our coaches to prove me wrong

and to your final point of when you need to you better be able to run it i agree 100% but if all you do is run it it kinda makes it harder to run and smyrna proved that in the playoff game when we needed 6 yards for a first down (before we attempted the feild goal) we couldnt do it because we had been doing it the whole game they new a run was coming and wasnt afraid of anything else

You beat me to it, sling. I was going to say basically exactly what you said. The yr before last, WC did a good job mixing it up. Aaron Scott had a great arm and when you loaded it up, he slung it.

We have a plethora of backs and this is a great offense to showcase them and keep them fresh. We really haven't had a reliable running game since Carlos Crawford, Region MVP , graduated.

A reminder that Hillsboro has successfully run the wingt for yrs. They are consistently one of the top teams in the state with the most talent yr to yr. I don't think they run the wingt because they have weaknesses to hide.

Riverdale ran wingt in the Pre-Rankin days and folk were very upset when Rankin abandoned it.

everybody always uses Hillsboro as their stick for measuring the wing t. There are lots of reasons Hillsboro has had success winning games that have been discussed in other forums ( most openly they are an open zone school playing in a terrible region)

So lets ask it another way

The number of 5a teams winning a state chamionship running the wing t = 0

The number 5a teams making the state chamionship game = 1 (hendersonville)

Does anybody know other than Hillsboro how many other wing t teams have won state chamionships? I think Clevland won a couple in the mid 90's

As I said I do understand why Oakland is running it but I also think teams are going to see how well Riverdale ran the ball and think "wow we should do that"

Once again I understand why some teams have to run it but I don't understand why teams that don't have to would choose that offense?