Mercy Rule

thug dadi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ve seen several games in which the two coaches agreed at halftime to run the clock the second half. I don`t see anything wrong with that myself. Why not just leave it up to the discretion of the coaches?

Agree. First I see this as another failure of the TSSAA to take an analytical look at this problem, if it is that. Some of the coaches have done this to themselves by not using restraint and class during a route. In my opinion, the TSSAA should have gotten input from the officials, opposing coaches AD's and maybe a few others at the games to see if the winning coach used propagate sportsmanship during the contest. If he did not, then maybe a fine could be imposed. A mercy rule is liberalism and political correctness on display where most players, coaches, supporters and fans don't want it or think it is needed.

Like always the TSSAA has found a easy way around an issue and that is sad and another reason we should all ask the state legislature to address and force the re-structuring of the organization. I intend to write my reps on the issue.

I do want to thank the TSSAA for staying the course in the Brentwood case, it is one of the few things I think they have done right the past 10 years and I applaud them for the action although it was very costly to prove that point. If they take away a title or two it would also be the right thing to do in my opinion.

The discretion of the coaches is a better idea. I think that it gives the losing teams a chance to lose with a little more dignity.

Okay, this has pushed an old hot button with me. I've been on the wrong end of several of those umpteen-to-naught scores and had to accept that we were outmanned and usually outplayed. Taking 15 dressed players to AAA schools (yeah, only 3 classes back then) was suicide against the 65-70-100 player teams we faced. We played 8 homecoming games my senior year and didn't win a one, not even our own. Our last game, we dressed 13, while the opponents dressed 118, including the 8th graders. And there was no mercy rule.

The good part to that...those of us who stayed the entire year learned to get up after being knocked down, to believe every play could start something new, to never give up. The bad part...we got our brains beat in, and players injured, because the games just went on and on and on and on. In four years of play, I averaged 44.5 minutes a game. The 48-8 games became a self-perpetuating nightmare, year after year, before I arrived and after I left. Had the clock been running the fourth quarter even, it might have helped. I got a great education and an academic free-ride, but learned more about life in that 53 1/3 X 100 yard box than I ever did in a 20' X 20' classroom.

Leave the decision to the coaches? Please. I love coaches, and away from that box most are really great people. But their jobs, their reputations, and their egos depend on that scoreboard. About 80% would do the right thing, but the other 20% are either constantly an a** or unfortunately become one on the sideline when the heat of the moment becomes a factor. There are coaches out there that will run up a score and keep it coming just because. You know who they are...they know they are, and they, not the TSSAA, are responsible. I only hope one day they get what they deserve.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Bitter old man.

Village Idiot...you wouldn`t even have to have both coaches agree on it. The rule could simply say "Upon the request of one head coach of either team." If a coach feels like his team is totally outmanned and the other team is out to run up the score then all he has to do is just request to the Head Ref to run the clock.

However, some coaches would rather play through the adversity. They might be playing a team out of their league, but the other coach is putting in second and third team players. I think for the most part the kids want to play and not be known for getting "mercy ruled".

Village Idiot...you wouldn`t even have to have both coaches agree on it. The rule could simply say "Upon the request of one head coach of either team." If a coach feels like his team is totally outmanned and the other team is out to run up the score then all he has to do is just request to the Head Ref to run the clock.

However, some coaches would rather play through the adversity. They might be playing a team out of their league, but the other coach is putting in second and third team players. I think for the most part the kids want to play and not be known for getting "mercy ruled".

I like that idea! There are two trains of thought, in my mind. Facing 2nd, 3rd teams, yeah, let the game proceed. We played a bunch of those, and I've covered several. Same thought as when the other team is up 20, 28, 30, whatever and you're facing hand-off left, hand-off right, learn to stop it or get your brains beat in. I'm good with that.

But we've all seen games that were out of hand where the first team was still throwing or the second team came out in the spread throwing deep. Those jackasses, uh, I mean coaches, know who they are and we do, too. Maybe I'm ranting against the few bad apples and not the rest of the great ones in the bushel. Not every blow-out game is an attempt to embarass a team or set a few records.

I really like the idea you present. Maybe that's why you're a General and I'm an Idiot!

VI

Good idea General!! Even on the receiving end of a blowout your guys get some valuable game experence. Teams often schedule much better teams for scrimmages just for the higher level of competition. If you feel you are too outmanned or the other team is running up the score just tell the ref to run the clock

Good idea General!! Even on the receiving end of a blowout your guys get some valuable game experence. Teams often schedule much better teams for scrimmages just for the higher level of competition. If you feel you are too outmanned or the other team is running up the score just tell the ref to run the clock

It's a good idea, assuming that the coaches do the right thing and represent the interests of the the players (not just their own, these are kids, remember). Of course, if we could count on all coaches to do the right thing, there wouldn't have been any need for a mercy rule.

Until now, there has been a great misconception on running the clock for a blow-out game. I know that game officials have done this in the past numerous times but there was not a rule that allowed them. The only option for shortening the second half by rule was to ask BOTH coaches to shorten the quarters to either 6 or 8 minutes.

Now comes the MERCY Rule, which allows for the running clock. Just about everyone on here thinks that this rule is a travesty. In most games, this was happening but you just didn't know it or realize it.

To me, I'm indifferent on this rule. I thought shortening the second half was just as effective but getting both coaches to agree is difficult. However, the first priority for game officials is safety of the players. If it's a blowout, get the players off the field as soon as possible. This won't prevent all injuries but may help some.