Knox CHS 2007

footballu

"medman"

i dont have no ax to grind unless i choping down atree, i dont have anything against central (maybe a little) its just that i am a fulton grade and former fulton player so i haves tp pull for the Falcons. You are living in a cloud if you think central always has the best players on the field because they do not and yes most time its because of favortism so what you say is what you say.i would love to see them play again. i will not name names because that is not needed but truth is that some have come and some have gone because of development and coaches and the way they treat players diffrent its no secret. we will see this year if they play to win or more of the same. these bords are great and a jab keeps things alive from time to time you know that the season is starting to heat up when the facon flys and the claws come out.. dont be to whinning to much

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand where you are coming from and there are no hard feelings. I think I know the Bobcats better than you having been involved in the program for a number of years. You can believe what you like, but I can tell you the best players play.

Again, if the program was not developing players, how can you explain all the college level players?

I have seen Fulton play a couple of times, but I have never been to a Fulton/AE game. I know its a classic. Would love to catch that one in person. Good luck to the Birds this year

I have to say that for years the Central staff has had a number of players go D-1, and almost all of them got into school as a true Freshman. All of them played a big role in some big time college football. To say that Central does not develop players is completely not true. I don't care about either team, but wish them both success.

Ok--I can't stand it any more. Some of the things that have been said concerning Central's program are outlandish.

Let me 1st state that I did not grow up here, so I do not have the anger that seems to fester between the Bobcat and Falcon fans. I always hope that the area teams and players do well. I have been to a couple of Fulton games, and they have a good program. They should be proud.

I am not sold that Central has lost more than a couple of players to Fulton. I guess Cobb and Stinson would be two. However, just because a kid plays in the Baby Bobcat youth football does not mean he will absolutely go to Central. It is an open league and kids from anywhere can play. So the statement that Central has lost a bunch of kids is not correct. It can certainly be said that some of the kids that used to transfer to Central from the Fulton and AE areas has slowed. That probably means they are playing for the school they are zoned for. As far as the transfers of Huber, Smith and Cruze to Powell, Cruze's situation was not a football related issue. Huber transfered so that he could be more of a featured player than what he would have been at Central. Lee Smith did not want to transfer. Daryl got upset and took Lee with him to Powell. Look, stuff happens at all schools. None are perfect. Central has been the beneficiary of multiple transfers in in the past. I am sure it will happen again. What will be interesting in the future is how the re-zoning due to Hardin Valley will effect things.

As far as kids transfering to West, Catholic, etc, I'd sure like to know who those are, or are you, Footballu, just making it up as you type.

Secondly, if a slide is to 7-3 with a very beat up and injured team, I think a lot of programs would love to have that record.

Thirdly, the statement that Central does not develop talent is wrong. Coach Helton has been there 20+ years and there is a very long list of players that have recieved offers to play at the next level. Just in the last few years, several D1 players have come from the Bobcats. Probably as many as any other school in the area. Central is a regular stop on the recruiting trail because these colleges know these kids know how to play and are talented.

Next, the statement that coaches kids get preferential treatment. I can assure you that the best players play. If that happens to be a coach's son, so be it. A couple of years ago, my son had to fight for his starting position against the nephew of one of the coaches. My son won out. The better player played. It has always been that way.

The statement that Central will have a whole new coaching staff in two years must have been pulled out of the air. I hope Coach Helton's health stays good, but if for whatever reason Coach Helton decides to step down, I can almost assure you that Mac will take over that job and there will be good continuity. You might have read that Corey Larkins recently joined the Central staff. He will be very good for a lot of kids there.

Some of the statements that Central is in a downward spiral and the future appears bleak are just flame statements. With the re-zoning, I think a number of schools will be in flux in the next couple of years, Central among them. Coach Helton and several members of the staff have been at this successfully for a long time. Things have a way of working out, and I am sure that will be the case here.

Footballu, you seem to have a real ax to grind with the Bobcats. Thats fine. I encourage you to keep posting. Discussion is what drives boards like these. But some of your recent statements seem to have been made out of dislike, not fact.

medman.

Great post. I agree w/ the vast majority of what you wrote. I too, did not grow up in the area, and have no strong rooting interest in one particular team vs. another. I do however think it is important to keep the Youth Football component of the discussion in perspective. Knox Co. did away with Middle School football for a # of reasons that I am sure made sense to the folks that made those decisions at that time. For the most part they are community based organizations as opposed to school system based organizations. Having community based vs. school based does allow for a greater application of the "open league" concept. IMO, the system has worked. There is some very good coaching going on at the Midget, and Super Midget level of these teams. The fundamentals are being taught pre-freshman yr, and as a result the overall level of HS football in Knox. Co. as well as surrounding counties has improved significantly over the last 5-8 yrs. We should not be surprised that the number of State Championships and or D1 players coming out of these programs is on the rise.

As a football fan, some of the best games I have seen around Knox. have been Super Midget playoff/champioship games. Many of the bigger name prospects for 07, and 08 alone played in this league and on these teams. Douglas (Mville) was a CBFO, then Halls player. Burnette (Mville) was a Halls player. Sommer (Alcoa) was a Karns kid along with Halladay and Goultry who are now at Bearden. Lanxter (Alcoa) was a Bearden kid, as was Smith @ Catholic and the Tait brothers. As you mentioned Wilson and Cobb were both Baby Bobcats. Sterling at Farragut played for Pilot/Webb as well as CBFO. It goes on and on.

Bottom line is that the kids/parents will go wherever they think they should for whatever the reasons are that motivate them.

ruse?

Thanks, ruse?. Growing up in Indiana, where bball is king, we started in the 4th grade with fundementals of the game of basketball, but we also learned the basic plays that the HS team was running. We ran those plays all the way thru Jr Hi and by the time we got to HS, the coaches did not have to teach us the plays. We worked on other stuff. I really hope that middle school ball can be brought to football, again. When my son was going thru the Bobcat organization, Central's plays were not taught. If I'm not mistaken, Maryville youth ball does a better job at this, and therefore, those kids are ahead. I, too, think there are some very capable youth coaches out there. I just think it might be a little better if it was school based and there was a team for each grade level. I know that won't happen, but hey, I can dream, can't I?

Thanks, ruse?. Growing up in Indiana, where bball is king, we started in the 4th grade with fundementals of the game of basketball, but we also learned the basic plays that the HS team was running. We ran those plays all the way thru Jr Hi and by the time we got to HS, the coaches did not have to teach us the plays. We worked on other stuff. I really hope that middle school ball can be brought to football, again. When my son was going thru the Bobcat organization, Central's plays were not taught. If I'm not mistaken, Maryville youth ball does a better job at this, and therefore, those kids are ahead. I, too, think there are some very capable youth coaches out there. I just think it might be a little better if it was school based and there was a team for each grade level. I know that won't happen, but hey, I can dream, can't I?

medman.

Couldn't agree more about the feeder programs being in alignment with the HS program, that it "feds." Maryville does do a nice job of this. To the best of my knowledge the only youth program that really has something like what Mville does is Knox. Catholic.

ruse?

Maryville's youth leagues are 2nd to none. There are 2 youth league organizations. Bears/Cubs and the Rebs/Southerners organization.

Maryville Lil Rebs. They are coached by David Hunt. I will be interested in their games this year because of my brothers stepson. Hunt has been head coach for 11 years. Former Rebels Cole McKinney,Terry Warrick and Derek Hunt help out. Other coaches are Charlie Lairimore. Can't remember the others guys. These are 7-8 year old players. When these kids leave the Lil Rebs they will go to the Southerners.

Maryville Southerners. Joey Winders is the head coach. He has been head coach for over 20 years. A lot of the same assistants have been helping him out for 20 years. These are 9-10 year olds. After the kids leave the Southerners they play for the Maryville Rebs. Joey Winders is the best youth league coach I ever seen.

Maryville Rebs. Don Sentell is the head coach. He has been head coach for over 40 years. A lot of his assistants have been with him for many years. These are the 11-12 year olds. Sentell is a legend.

Maryville Cubs. Don Myers is the head coach. He took over for Danny Maples 3 years ago. Danny Maples coached the Bears until his son Tyler started playing high school football at Maryville. These are 9-10 year olds. These kids will play for the Bears.

Maryville Bears. Ricky Maples is the head coach. He has coached for almost 25 years. These are 11-12 year old kids.

When the Cubs take on the Southerners and the Bears take on the Rebs it is youth football at its finest.

• 2 weeks later...