SHAWN WIITEN WILL BE NEW ELIZABETHTON COACH

madman101

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shawn has been in Grad School at UT. Which means he already has his degree from VT. He is probably not very far off from Licensure. He could probably do that in less than a year easily. The Probationary License is good for three years.

Getting a teaching license in TN requires 3 things:

1. Graduation with the proper degree

2. PRAXIS Scores completed with passing scores9giving him highly qualified status)

3. Semester of Student Teaching

Odd, seeing as how you have to complete that semester to graduate, but regardless, this is what is required. If he has everything done up to his student teaching, he can finish that and do the PRAXIS tests in a semester UNLESS the university requires him to take the PRAXIS and have passing scores BEFORE student teaching.

If he has everything done, I can see the waiver working out fine for a year then everything will be taken care of the second year. Then again, seeing as how no one knows what his transcripts look like..........there is no telling. All in all, if he has to do student teaching this year, he will be a very busy coach.

Getting a teaching license in TN requires 3 things:

1. Graduation with the proper degree

2. PRAXIS Scores completed with passing scores9giving him highly qualified status)

3. Semester of Student Teaching

Odd, seeing as how you have to complete that semester to graduate, but regardless, this is what is required. If he has everything done up to his student teaching, he can finish that and do the PRAXIS tests in a semester UNLESS the university requires him to take the PRAXIS and have passing scores BEFORE student teaching.

If he has everything done, I can see the waiver working out fine for a year then everything will be taken care of the second year. Then again, seeing as how no one knows what his transcripts look like..........there is no telling. All in all, if he has to do student teaching this year, he will be a very busy coach.

I believe the PRAXIS tests are required before the student teaching. He has probably completed his semester as a student-teacher.

1. It does not require a semester of Student teaching.

2. You can graduate in anything, but have to have enough hours in the field you are trying to get licensed in.

3. The Praxis Series test like THSVikings2004 said must be taken before you will student teach.

The Student teaching can be waived by the institution (College) 14 weeks is what many schools require you to do. Believe me you do not have to student teach to get a license, but very few are able to get the waiver.

By the way you can also teach without a college degree. If you have enough years (5 or more) in a certain field the state will give you a license. That is strictly a vocational thing though.

2. You can graduate in anything, but have to have enough hours in the field you are trying to get licensed in.

3. The Praxis Series test like THSVikings2004 said must be taken before you will student teach.

The Student teaching can be waived by the institution (College) 14 weeks is what many schools require you to do. Believe me you do not have to student teach to get a license, but very few are able to get the waiver.

By the way you can also teach without a college degree. If you have enough years (5 or more) in a certain field the state will give you a license. That is strictly a vocational thing though.

well he got the license so it doesnt matter they will be a announcement SOON VERY SOON /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Here ya go, from TN Education Website.

Obtaining a Tennessee Teacher License

by Attending a College or University in Tennessee

To become a licensed elementary or secondary teacher, school guidance counselor, school social worker, school psychologist, or school administrator, an individual must successfully complete a preparation program in the area of interest at an approved teacher education institution (IE, Student Teaching and all the classes before that) , Praxis Series Exams required for state licensing, and be recommended for licensure by the Dean of Education and the Certification Office of the college/university (basically just graduating from a school with passing grades). For additional information, see the complete listing of Tennessee colleges and universities with approved teacher education programs and the initial licensure programs offered at each

I guess you are right as far as a waiver goes, but since I am a teacher, I will go ahead and say that it would be smart from him to have a semester student teaching since teaching is.......well you know, hard.

I'm sure you all will give me more info soon, I was just trying to let you know how I got through teaching. Even with grad. students who had education as their major, they still had to have a semester of student teaching in whatever classes they had been getting ready for while in school.

I'm going to assume that Shawn is going to do Physical Education? Not real sure.

On a more personal note, I played against this Witten in my 97 and 98 season. Shawn is a warrior. I saw him on the news last night, really emotional and ready to go, so I have to say good luck to the Elizabethton fans and congrats to Shawn for getting this job.

He will do a great job of getting the kids ready, putting the kids in a position to win, but the real test will be dealing with the Parents, and other sport coaches. He will bring a new energy to the Cyclone faithful, but you better let him coach.

like i said earlier---- parents step away and let him run this program and do the job he was hired to do.. this is not the boys club league where parents think they control. if they do this i bet in 3 years we win the conference hands down!

GOOD POST LEONARD I AGREE

Stan Ogg resigned at Happy Valley and is coming to EHS. I am not much on a guy that resigns this late in the year and leaves his team hanging. Moore did that to Unaka and came to EHS real late and look how that has turned out. I do not see how you can trust someone like that. Go ahead and tell me I am crazy but think about what I said first.

Stan Ogg resigned at Happy Valley and is coming to EHS. I am not much on a guy that resigns this late in the year and leaves his team hanging. Moore did that to Unaka and came to EHS real late and look how that has turned out. I do not see how you can trust someone like that. Go ahead and tell me I am crazy but think about what I said first.

im excited for my last two seasons at EHS , another good edition