2007 Powell Panthers Football

osunut2

Most Panther fans, as well as region 3-4A enthusiasts, will agree that this should be a big rebuilding year for Powell. It is not out of the realm of possibility that this team could finish anywhere from 4th in the region to 7th. What are everyone's thoughts on this year's team? As tough as the region will be, with the likes of Maryville having an extremely talented team, West and Central looking very talented, and Halls returning a lot of young talent, I just don't see this Powell team getting to the playoffs.

Also, what does everyone think about Matt Lowe's decision to employ a two-platoon system? Personally, I think more large high school teams should use this system, since they have the personnel, and it would solve a ton of fatigue problems. It could also gain more popularity among the community because more players are involved on the field. This system would have helped the Panthers compete with Maryville and Central more often with their D-I talent over the past few years (I'm not willing to say that it would have allowed them to beat Maryville, but it would have helped). Feel free to fire away guys!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going two platooned is a definite advantage if you have the numbers and quality players to pull it off. I think for some schools it comes down to a numbers game, and for others, yeah they could two platoon, but have to debate taking the plunge or making sure they have their best athletes at all positions as much as possible. It can pay huge dividends at the end of a close ball game. Regardless of how well conditioned a team is if they are in a dog fight with a team that two platoons the latter has the advantage in my opinion. Even if you have a few going both ways it is better than having almost each player playing on both sides of the ball.

With Powell having limited quality talented players I don't think this 2 platoon system will work. I'm not saying Powell has only a couple of players that are good, but they have some with enough talent and are conditioned enough to play both ways and they will only be limited to playing only 1 position and maybe only seeing a couple of snaps on the other side of the ball. Also with a lot of young talent at Powell how will Lowe know if that player is the best at playing either O or D when he only gives them a shot at 1 position in practice? Now I can see having this system in if your team has a whole bunch of talent, but Powell doesn't and for Powell to get into the play-offs they will need to use their star players as much as possible instead of throwing someone in a starting spot just because the player that could be playing that position starts on the other side of the ball. This could be good during practice to get the best against the best, but when it comes down to Friday night it should be the best 11 on each side of the ball no matter if they start on the other side or not.

This is a great idea if you have the athletes that can cover a Shiver, Wilson, or Easterly. They have had a hard time finding great athletes the past two years. Sure they have had some big boys, but one athlete is not gonna get it against Central, Maryville, West, and the many other teams they play. Matt is making a good choice for his team. It is a rebuilding year. It would be the right time to get alot of kids some experience. In return he might get more kids coming to play. Good luck to the Panthers.

With Powell having limited quality talented players I don't think this 2 platoon system will work. I'm not saying Powell has only a couple of players that are good, but they have some with enough talent and are conditioned enough to play both ways and they will only be limited to playing only 1 position and maybe only seeing a couple of snaps on the other side of the ball. Also with a lot of young talent at Powell how will Lowe know if that player is the best at playing either O or D when he only gives them a shot at 1 position in practice? Now I can see having this system in if your team has a whole bunch of talent, but Powell doesn't and for Powell to get into the play-offs they will need to use their star players as much as possible instead of throwing someone in a starting spot just because the player that could be playing that position starts on the other side of the ball. This could be good during practice to get the best against the best, but when it comes down to Friday night it should be the best 11 on each side of the ball no matter if they start on the other side or not.

I have to disagree with Drega, I think that putting the best 11 on the field has been the Achilles' Heel for the Panthers for the past 10 or so years. Most high school athletes aren't athletic enough to play both sides of the ball for 40+ minutes a game for an entire season. If the Panthers want to make a deep playoff run in the future, this is the direction they need to go. I would rather take my chances developing 20-22 players instead if trying to condition 11. We've seen it the past few years - Powell has churned out some of the best linemen in East Tennessee, but because most of those guys played both sides of the ball, they were gassed by the end of the 3rd quarter.

I have to disagree with Drega, I think that putting the best 11 on the field has been the Achilles' Heel for the Panthers for the past 10 or so years. Most high school athletes aren't athletic enough to play both sides of the ball for 40+ minutes a game for an entire season. If the Panthers want to make a deep playoff run in the future, this is the direction they need to go. I would rather take my chances developing 20-22 players instead if trying to condition 11. We've seen it the past few years - Powell has churned out some of the best linemen in East Tennessee, but because most of those guys played both sides of the ball, they were gassed by the end of the 3rd quarter.

I'm not saying have just 11 players start. I'm saying don't limit your players to only playing 1 position. Yeah you can sub in with other players, but start your best players at each position. Also Powell doesn't have any huge linemen so conditioning isn't a factor anymore. The others that had to play both ways weren't gassed by the 3rd quarter.

Most Panther fans, as well as region 3-4A enthusiasts, will agree that this should be a big rebuilding year for Powell. It is not out of the realm of possibility that this team could finish anywhere from 4th in the region to 7th. What are everyone's thoughts on this year's team? As tough as the region will be, with the likes of Maryville having an extremely talented team, West and Central looking very talented, and Halls returning a lot of young talent, I just don't see this Powell team getting to the playoffs.

Also, what does everyone think about Matt Lowe's decision to employ a two-platoon system? Personally, I think more large high school teams should use this system, since they have the personnel, and it would solve a ton of fatigue problems. It could also gain more popularity among the community because more players are involved on the field. This system would have helped the Panthers compete with Maryville and Central more often with their D-I talent over the past few years (I'm not willing to say that it would have allowed them to beat Maryville, but it would have helped). Feel free to fire away guys!

I think Lenoir City should go to the 2 platoon system. Will it work for you guys??

maybe powell can pull it off in the future with platooning two but right now with their talent situation, i dont think it will help them or hurt them. On the whole, i totally disagree with most. Except for exceptional talent and numbers like a maryville or other schools where players only play 1 position, i think conditioning and putting your best players on the field at all times gets you wins. look at knoxville webb, beating powell 5 years in a row, beating west 2, bearden 4, all 4a and 5a schools. as far as i could tell webb was always playing about 8 players both ways. a little less then 8 but knoxville catholic has also had great success playing more then 1 or 2 players both ways, so in my opinion, with conditioning and the right attitude, playing good players both ways benefits a team more then platooning players and possibly stepping down a level in talent with a second group

Hey OSU< hows it going man its been a while, Congrats on your good news I saw from a few months back.

Hope to see you this year

Good to hear from you man! I'm sure we'll be seeing each other sometime this fall. I'm sure you are ready for college football season!