Halls High Red Devils

DiverCity

"The qb now is between 125,000 and 30,000 times smarter than the one from last year." You lost me on that one.

Hey, lets try this...what until after we go to DB and kick there buts, before we start tooting our whistles about this year. If the players and coachers keep working hard, we will have a great year.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to see you prove your football knowledge and integrity, which would be none.

Excellent job there HaveitYourWay. I would say you dissected and more than adequately addressed all of gun816's "points," so I won't pile on, except to say 5-5 last year was respectable given the extremely young team.

Ironman80, dude, good to see a new, informed Halls poster on here. Welcome. I agree with everything you said.

Have any of you seen the Murphy Fair piece on Halls? Had some nice things to say about the players you all have mentioned on here.

"The qb now is between 125,000 and 30,000 times smarter than the one from last year." You lost me on that one.

Hey, lets try this...what until after we go to DB and kick there buts, before we start tooting our whistles about this year. If the players and coachers keep working hard, we will have a great year.

sorry, suppose to be 25,000. not 125,000. there, hope that makes more sense

My two cents worth:

1) LSMFT - We will not "go to DB and kick their butts" - don't be silly. We should look for positive steps in becoming a better team. I am very optimistic about this years team. However, DB is a powerhouse and we are not. Right now is the time to get better and identify/fix weaknesses. Look for this to be a better scrimmage next year.

2) Haveityourway - I agree about Coach J and last years team. A 5-5 record with 3-4 seniors contributing in our district - come on, CoachJ did a heck of a job. Kids fought hard and got better. That's a sign of a good coach. Keep up the improvement Coach J!

3) I got to see part of tonights practice. Both QB's looked good (I know it was the scout team). Players were working hard. I believe we will take a step forward at the DB scrimmage, but lets look for improvement on our side - not what the score is. As stated earlier, improvement in blocking and tackling will go along way.

4) Big hits were delivered tonight by the FB's!!!! - Both Kelley and Hodge delivered crushing blows to the defense(again, scout team I know). I knew Kelley looked good last year and was expecting to have a big year, but I don't remember seeing Hodge run the ball. One of the parents said he didn't play football until 8th grade. Does anyone know? Saw him walk by and boy is he built!! Look for him to have good future - maybe spot Kelly some this year. (Still believe Kelly will have a good year!!)

5) Is Dayton still hurt?? Saw him in a limited role and was told he is battling a leg injury. Will he play at DB or not? Make no mistake, as Reggie Jackson would say, he is the stick that stirs the drink on this team.

On a final note - from watching the kids and listening to the parents - this team seems to be getting along with one another and playing "for the team". If so, could this be a team of no names? I hope so.

New Thread. Nice. What about some new discussion points?

What are the five most important tasks to accomplish between now, and the Kingsport DB scrimmage?

What three developments between now and the Catholic scrimmage will be positive signs?

What perceptions have changed since the Spews Sentinel series on parental involvement began running?

What one action/event can inspire even greater self-confidence in the team?

ruse?

I Look for Halls to have a great year. Im not a Halls fan but I watched them play CC this spring and their defense looked realy fast. When they played CC they didnt have their best player of course and they were breaking in the new QB. All in All i look for halls to place 3rd of 4th in their region. Good luck.

It's good to see you prove your football knowledge and integrity, which would be none.

In regards to the '05 team, lets go back and look at those losses.

Maryville- yeah right, enough said...came closer than should have probably

Central-busted coverage by a player, results in TD; QB throws interception for a TD (final score 26-14). Those two things cost Halls that game, otherwise, coaching gave players chance to do something no one has done in a while at Halls High School (and please explain to me that that QB was taught to use the jump pass that he inexplicably would do for no reason..no way he's taught that)

Powell-From the stands, as a non-player/non-parent/unbiased person...coaches called a pretty decent game, players didn't execute, several times players bounce of running backs or didn't tackle QB and were left without their jocks, again, poor execution by players, nothing more

Red Bank- Halls goes up 10-0, loses 21-10. Most people blamed coaching staff. My question is how many times the QB overthrew his wide receivers who were wide open running by themselves for a TD. At least 4 times and not at the end of the game.

Bottom line, that year's team was good, but had a lot of selfish attitudes (see players who quit because they thought coach did them wrong and then returned to play after previous coach left...see also players who did their "own thing" instead of what coaches taught them) and players who simply didn't execute. Coaches got the players where they needed to be and I'm sure taught them how to be there and what to do when they got there.

As for last year's team, they got gassed in the second half against a decent team, the first game of the year with a young team. A team with something like 10 seniors, a lot of juniors seeing their first varsity action, a lot of sophomores seeing their first varsity action. Please, go ahead and compare last year's team to this year's team. That makes a lot of sense. Isn't Halls returning something like 18 or 19 starters? They also lose a senior class that didn't contribute a lot to last year's team for various reasons including a large portion of that winning basketball team Halls had. Then you have a freshmen class/rising sophomore coming in that sounds like it might have some athletes in it which adds speed to a Halls program that hasn't had that in a while. So, again, please try to compare last year's team to this years and say it's going to be the same thing again.

It's good to know that 90% of the offense last year came from O'Connor. That sounds somewhat fishy to me though because I only heard O'Connor after we scored a TD or about 8 or 9 times for a FG. I'm pretty sure I heard Wesley Kitts or Daniel Dayton's name for at least 50% of the scoring total, not to mention all the other kids that scored.

Regarding your apparent respect for Julian, since that is what you claim, I sincerely urge you to ask someone what respect is because the words from you compare him to a monkey. And if I were a betting person, I'd bet that doesn't reflect the word respect.

Perhaps, if you respected Coach Julian, that would mean you would respect Halls High School as well and when you played or your child played, you'd have given 100% either on the field or in support of the program instead of the selfish crap you seem to dwell in.

Why should people be optimistic? Go back and look at how the team developed the last 5 games compared to the first 5, and keep in mind, 19/22 of the starters were either a junior or a sophomore. Once you go back and look at that coupled with the fact that the QB Halls has now is between 125,000 and 30,000 times smarter than the previous QB, and then you have optimism.

I respect Coach Julian as a man as a defensive coach, but I question his ability to be a Head coach at the level to compete in our region and he hasnt done anything that coach shepard wouldnt had done. I think we down graded instead of improving.

90% wasnt meant to be an exact number what I was getting at was the two donkeys used for the donkey drop could score TD's against gibbs, karns, clintion, south-doyle, and lenior city. My point is who scored the points against the good teams. I am pretty sure that the touchdowns that we did score were after the scrub team was in.

I am selfish, try a realist. You cant say that I didnt play with 100% because when I played some of us still had pride in the red that we put on each week. I dont know what is selfish about wondering whats the hype. I urge you to ask anyone about the word selfish because I would bet that it doesnt mean questioning the hype of a unproven football team and coach. I didnt mean to sound direspectful, I was wanting to know what is all the hype about. Because I see noting special. You still havent showed me anything to be excited about. I am suppose to believe that there is sophomores ready to compete in this region. Come on.

anybody can appear improved in the second half of the season when you play teams like Karns, Clinton, Lenoir City, and South Doyle. I dont care if you return all of your starters in they didnt do anything in the previous season and didnt get in bigger in the offseason.

125,000 and 30,000 times smarter this sounds a little fishy because I am pretty sure that Cooper was able to remember his name and walk and chew gum so unless the new QB is a Nuclear physicist then I think your numbers could be wrong.

I also didnt realize that knowledge and integrity meant believing in fairy tales and beliefs that your team is the best no matter what the facts might look like.

Anyone that has been paying attention to what has been being said on the Halls threads in the offseason can realize that not one of us is predicting Halls to beat Maryville, West or Central. Now if someone did that's alright, but that's not what the majority are saying. Most people are saying Halls will finish 4th in the region. I agree. I also think they will be more competitive given the experience they gained from last year which is pretty easy to conclude and fairly knowledgeable.

Anyone that knows the two QBs mentioned already knows exactly what I'm talking about with how those kids brains operate. Nothing against the other QB, he just didn't have the God given ability to want to know things about the game or the want to want to know things and that's nothing against him, that's just not who he is.

To say a high school kid doesn't have pride in his school, his team, that's ludacris, especially an entire team. Let's keep in mind that we're dealing with 14-18 year old kids here. I'm not sure exactly where you think this is a good observation or a true observation in seeing how you can't live those kids lives or know how those kids feel.

Now, about this Coach Julian and Shepard comparison. Sure, Coach Julian is somewhat doing the same things Shepard did. I'd say there is a lot that you and I don't understand that are different. Perhaps one thing is that in two years, Julian has so far stayed with the same offense in the Halls version of the wing-T. There for a while it seemed that Shepard was changing the offense every year, which can hurt you because you need to be accustomed to what you do and not learning a new offense each year. But, Shepard thought that was best and he's coached at the collegiate level, so who am I to judge that? And perhaps they actually weren't changing the offense all that much. What I do know is that the man didn't let the parents influence his decisions largely and wouldn't let anyone "brown nose" him if you catch my drift which ticked off the parents. So he left to be with his family, mostly, and to get away from the crap that any coach will have to deal with, at Halls especially.

Everyone thinks they know it all, but no one wants to pick up the clipboard and coach. There's always a lot of talkers no matter what aspect of life it is. There's always pessimists as well. Julian is well respected by other coaches for his defensive knowledge. Ward is well respected for his offensive knowledge by other coaches. There, you have two men, in the business for quite some time, with a wealth of knowledge, giving all they give to those kids/that program. Then you have their assistants as well, who if they weren't qualified wouldn't be there. And they all coach their butts off. For what? A coaching supplement. Please, compared to the time put in, it's minute. They do it for the kids, for you when you played, for their passion for the game, but mostly for the kids who want to play.

Perhaps you should go back and read the articles in the newspaper. Perhaps you should realize that life is a little more than football, actually, quite a bit more. And instead of getting on here and criticizing a coach, man up and ask the coach himself why they do what they do. Then, you can call yourself whatever you want.

I'm not sure where you are going with your whole fairy tale comparison because you yourself are talking about the belief that the 05 team was the best thing ever to come through Halls and got slighted by the coaches because they apparently don't know what they're doing. We're all talking about how this year could be a whole lot better compared to last year and for obvious reasons. Again, we shouldn't compare 05 to 07 because not only do we not have 2 classes that were part of the program in 05, we now have two classes that weren't. And the same goes for every other team in Tennessee. That's a whole lot of high schools with completely different looks as far as players go.

As for sophomores. I believe that any kid who is good enough can play with kids older than them. Go back to 05 when Dayton was a sophomore. I believe he caught two long passes against Central, one for a TD in the first half. Look, sophomore's aren't going to contribute a whole lot this year probably, why? they have a veteran team. To rule out one of those kids starting though would be stupid on my part because who knows if they are better than an upperclassman? That's for the coaches to decide. Either way it's a mute point. The two upper classes have speed as well.

All I ask is that if you are going to complain about something you actually have a legitimate claim after talking with the coaches about why they do what they do. I know why they do it. It's simple. The system is much sounder for the type of kids that come through Halls than any other system. It gives Halls a chance to win in every game. They just haven't had the chance to dig deep into the system since they've been running it consistently for only two years now.

I think there should be a Coacht rule that states if you disagree with what your program is doing you must offer a detailed solution on how to fix the problem. Then we can all instant message each other behind your back and talk about how you have no clue, you can't out coach animals, insult your knowledge of the game, etc.

Or we could all show up at your job and watch you work. Then when any of your 14-18 year old subordinates make an honest mistake, we can insult your knowledge, dedication, or desire to be successful.

Remember high footbal is a game...played by children...coached by teachers whose real job isn't coaching football it's teaching students in school. At least Fulmer gets paid millions to take abuse.

I also didnt realize that knowledge and integrity meant believing in fairy tales and beliefs that your team is the best no matter what the facts might look like.

gun816.

Knowledge and integrity are not synonyms. Integrity is driven by the actions you take based upon the knowledge you have when you believe no one is watching, or when you believe consequences are mute.

I don't recall any posters suggesting that this Halls team "is the best." Most have written that an improvement upon 5-5 would be expected, and certainly welcome. That does not sound like a "fairy tale."

"Facts" are hard to come by at this point in the season, and further, placing the word "might" after the word "fact" is not as impactful as you might have desired.

ruse?

Anyone that has been paying attention to what has been being said on the Halls threads in the offseason can realize that not one of us is predicting Halls to beat Maryville, West or Central. Now if someone did that's alright, but that's not what the majority are saying. Most people are saying Halls will finish 4th in the region. I agree. I also think they will be more competitive given the experience they gained from last year which is pretty easy to conclude and fairly knowledgeable.

Anyone that knows the two QBs mentioned already knows exactly what I'm talking about with how those kids brains operate. Nothing against the other QB, he just didn't have the God given ability to want to know things about the game or the want to want to know things and that's nothing against him, that's just not who he is.

To say a high school kid doesn't have pride in his school, his team, that's ludacris, especially an entire team. Let's keep in mind that we're dealing with 14-18 year old kids here. I'm not sure exactly where you think this is a good observation or a true observation in seeing how you can't live those kids lives or know how those kids feel.

Now, about this Coach Julian and Shepard comparison. Sure, Coach Julian is somewhat doing the same things Shepard did. I'd say there is a lot that you and I don't understand that are different. Perhaps one thing is that in two years, Julian has so far stayed with the same offense in the Halls version of the wing-T. There for a while it seemed that Shepard was changing the offense every year, which can hurt you because you need to be accustomed to what you do and not learning a new offense each year. But, Shepard thought that was best and he's coached at the collegiate level, so who am I to judge that? And perhaps they actually weren't changing the offense all that much. What I do know is that the man didn't let the parents influence his decisions largely and wouldn't let anyone "brown nose" him if you catch my drift which ticked off the parents. So he left to be with his family, mostly, and to get away from the crap that any coach will have to deal with, at Halls especially.

Everyone thinks they know it all, but no one wants to pick up the clipboard and coach. There's always a lot of talkers no matter what aspect of life it is. There's always pessimists as well. Julian is well respected by other coaches for his defensive knowledge. Ward is well respected for his offensive knowledge by other coaches. There, you have two men, in the business for quite some time, with a wealth of knowledge, giving all they give to those kids/that program. Then you have their assistants as well, who if they weren't qualified wouldn't be there. And they all coach their butts off. For what? A coaching supplement. Please, compared to the time put in, it's minute. They do it for the kids, for you when you played, for their passion for the game, but mostly for the kids who want to play.

Perhaps you should go back and read the articles in the newspaper. Perhaps you should realize that life is a little more than football, actually, quite a bit more. And instead of getting on here and criticizing a coach, man up and ask the coach himself why they do what they do. Then, you can call yourself whatever you want.

I'm not sure where you are going with your whole fairy tale comparison because you yourself are talking about the belief that the 05 team was the best thing ever to come through Halls and got slighted by the coaches because they apparently don't know what they're doing. We're all talking about how this year could be a whole lot better compared to last year and for obvious reasons. Again, we shouldn't compare 05 to 07 because not only do we not have 2 classes that were part of the program in 05, we now have two classes that weren't. And the same goes for every other team in Tennessee. That's a whole lot of high schools with completely different looks as far as players go.

As for sophomores. I believe that any kid who is good enough can play with kids older than them. Go back to 05 when Dayton was a sophomore. I believe he caught two long passes against Central, one for a TD in the first half. Look, sophomore's aren't going to contribute a whole lot this year probably, why? they have a veteran team. To rule out one of those kids starting though would be stupid on my part because who knows if they are better than an upperclassman? That's for the coaches to decide. Either way it's a mute point. The two upper classes have speed as well.

All I ask is that if you are going to complain about something you actually have a legitimate claim after talking with the coaches about why they do what they do. I know why they do it. It's simple. The system is much sounder for the type of kids that come through Halls than any other system. It gives Halls a chance to win in every game. They just haven't had the chance to dig deep into the system since they've been running it consistently for only two years now.

If all the excitment is over the chances of making playoffs by getting fourth then I think that my definition of a good season and everyone elses is different. I never said that the 05 was the best team to come through Halls you have been putting words in my mouth alot Im not sure if your reading what I write sometimes. Maybe I am harsh, but I would just like to see a change because we have seen that this offense does not work for the past 8 years. Its the same offense that they ran when I ran it when I was in high school. Coach shepard wasnt changing the offense he just changed the formation, but ran basically the same plays, but with more option plays. Its so simple I could step on the field and still run the position. How do you think opposing coaches prepare for us. We only scored one touchdown against campbell county. that is awful. (ofcourse i am talking about first team). We wont score tonight against DB varsity. I would love to see this team succeed, I would love to see coach Julian do well, but I feel like he has not developed or tapped into a lot of the talent that he has on this team. My major critisim of coach Julian is not on the field (besides the offense), but off the field. I dont feel like he does a good job in the weight room with these guys, and I dont feel like utlizies all of the talent that he has on the team. I believe that Jake Carr, Gunter, and R. Kelley should all get more carries because they are football players. They dont go down when they get touched. They carry it like a Halls football player is suppose to carry it, looking to make someone pay for trying to stop them. Thats what I meant by playing with pride.

gun816.

Knowledge and integrity are not synonyms. Integrity is driven by the actions you take based upon the knowledge you have when you believe no one is watching, or when you believe consequences are mute.

I don't recall any posters suggesting that this Halls team "is the best." Most have written that an improvement upon 5-5 would be expected, and certainly welcome. That does not sound like a "fairy tale."

"Facts" are hard to come by at this point in the season, and further, placing the word "might" after the word "fact" is not as impactful as you might have desired.

ruse?

Sarcasm-A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

I was responding to the questioning of my integrity and knowlege.

For what I see it would be hard for them to improve on thier 5-5 season, not because they havent got better, but because dropped karns and picked up bearden. Now you have loss instead of a win. We now have 4 atomatic losses on our schedule now w/ Maryville, West, Bearden, and Central. Not only do I believe we will lose, but not even score now that we lost O'Connor. Those four teams are about as much facts as you can come by.