Halls High Red Devils

DiverCity

I got to see most of the scrimmage. I saw it 21-7 overall. But is was only 7-7 with first strings in the game. (14-7 if a referee is in position to give Dayton the catch in the back of the end zone ruled incomplete) I would not say that Halls "kicked their butts." Overall, I think the teams look pretty even. I think Halls had four pickoffs and one fumble recovery and Halls lost two fumbles and one interception. Plus, Halls punted much better than DB.

DB fans are expecting an off year for them so I would not get too overly excited yet. I think it is great that Halls showed up and stood toe to toe with a good 5A program. I think DB scrimmages Central this week and we have Catholic and Carter. We will know better where we stand after that.

Keep getting better Halls. Good job!

Good luck to Halls but don't let the scrimmage (which is what it was) be a measuring stick for your team.DB is still trying to figure out who their players are and were they need to be.Trying to throw on the goal line is a no-no.DB hasn't learn that yet.Why we are not lining up an a I formation with Slyvester and Hogg is a mystery.Both teams looked sluggish at times.Halls had alot better kicker.Yes this is a down year for us so we are not a 5A powerhouse(as one on this thread put it)so that being said ,good luck to Halls with the real powerhouses.(the referee was in position standing on the goal,the player was not in control and was out of end zone on the catch.)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To quote an earlier poster, "fact is, I told you we would kick DB's butts and from what I have read and heard this morning, WE DID."

The fact is is was a scrimmage and they mean nothing.But you would have thought it was a super bowl the way some Halls parents were hollowering in the stands.Maybe Halls will be ranked #1 in the pre season polls.

Good luck to Halls but don't let the scrimmage (which is what it was) be a measuring stick for your team.DB is still trying to figure out who their players are and were they need to be.Trying to throw on the goal line is a no-no.DB hasn't learn that yet.Why we are not lining up an a I formation with Slyvester and Hogg is a mystery.Both teams looked sluggish at times.Halls had alot better kicker.Yes this is a down year for us so we are not a 5A powerhouse(as one on this thread put it)so that being said ,good luck to Halls with the real powerhouses.(the referee was in position standing on the goal,the player was not in control and was out of end zone on the catch.)

I was paying your team a compliment when I said we stood toe to toe against a good program. I realize you are not the same team as last year. I agree that both teams made mistakes. Halls chose to run the option from the one yard line once. I am not sure about that decision. Lots of penalties and lots of turnovers. I said in my post that this scrimmage should not be something to get all excited about.

I had a great view of the pass in the end zone. (you may have also) I thought he had possession with feet down. However, one ref was in the end zone but several yards away blocked by the DB defender. The side judge was on the 10 yard line and running toward the end zone. Both looked at each other and neither appeared sure. I am not sure they had a full crew anyway which is understandable for a scrimmage. I don't think it is that big of a deal but since you want to debate it, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents for fun.

I hope you guys have a great year. You will probably still win your region as Jeff Co. and others appear down as well. You have classy fans (I spoke to many) and I enjoyed being there last night. You are also right about some of the powerhouses on our schedule. I am glad that Maryville will probably be moving up to 5A with you guys in a couple of years.

Good Luck

Well said Fairplay. I was in the endzone Dayton beat the #2 defensive back both feet in bounds no juggling the ball. The back judge was on the very end line and looked hesitatantly at the line judge for a judgement. Even KJ noted it was a TD but like Plowboy said its just a scrimmage no big deal hope it doesn't happen in the regular season against a Central though.

Plowboy did make a good comment about Punting and I though Turner did a great job.

First time out for both teams lot to work on but nothing a little hard work won't cure.

Didn't see any problems about the Halls fans being to excited. They just love football. Most of parents have kids that have never played varsity football before and I believe most of the Halls team is dominated by sophomores.

Most of the DB faithful were great and clapped and cheered when there kids did well. So I didn't see anything different from either camp.

Those questions make my brain hurt....jk

I'll try a few: the offense has to become more disciplined and well oiled. Implement offense and get TT acclimated. (I hear he's throwing the ball very well). Work on that kicking game (or kick out of bounds everytime). The kickoff team didn't have to do anything last year except run to the endzone.

One good development b/w now and the Catholic scrimmage would be the 1st team putting some respectable points up on the DB defense.

That article was interesting -- I doubt anything has changed much. I could be mistaken/uninformed, but I don't think Halls has that problem to a very great degree.

See third paragraph above.

DiverCity.

Offense more disciplined? Check, sort of.

TT acclimated? Check.

KO/KO coverage?

Offense respectable points on DB defense? Check.

Very few teams/players tackle well at this stage in the pre-season. Once the older guys stop trying to win the "jacked up" award, and wrap up, along with the younger guys begining to get used to the speed, it will get better. If Halls was able to contain the speed, then the defensive players are taking the right pursuit angles. That is the most important thing for this D, IMO, in order for them to compete effectively with Central, West, Maryville, and Bearden.

Coach Julian will be fine. He comes from a stout coaching tree, has a strong moral compass, and IMO is respected.

Should be interesting to see how the deveopment continues this week against Catholic.

ruse?

Going to be tough but I just heard over the weekend Catholic tomahawked Powell in a scrimmage. So they are one of the best teams in the KFL this year. Another good test before the season opens against Sevier Co.

My main hope is to keep these scrimmages injury free and give more of this sophomore class a look for depth strength. The Junior and Senior class look good so far. Defense seems ahead of the offense at the moment.

Going to be tough but I just heard over the weekend Catholic tomahawked Powell in a scrimmage. So they are one of the best teams in the KFL this year. Another good test before the season opens against Sevier Co.

My main hope is to keep these scrimmages injury free and give more of this sophomore class a look for depth strength. The Junior and Senior class look good so far. Defense seems ahead of the offense at the moment.

Anyone that loves some hard nose football would appreciate it when Halls and Catholic knock heads. I got no clue what Catholic has this year since they lost that Smith kid, but any way you cut it this one should be good. Both teams will be looking to find players to fill their positions, but hey, let's not forget about Rockwood since this is a 3-way scrimmage. 3 teams with the same overall system, just with different preferences and flavors from their O coordinators, it should be interesting. Seems to me that Halls might be hungry and looking to prove a lot of people wrong this year.

Zcar, how do you think the passing game is coming along thusfar? Also, who was starting on Defense the other night? Any sophomores getting significant playing time and if so how'd they fair?